Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? (6573 Views)

Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Obiagu1: Port Harcourt In 1914 Was Igboland Under Owerri Province (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by papas: 7:04pm On Sep 27, 2010
@ Twy,

Isn't this meant to be a divisive article?

Welcome to nairaland.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Dede1(m): 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2010
Anybody who doubts the divisiveness of Nigeria or attempts to deny apparent distinctiveness of Nigeria based on ethnical landmark, culture, food, language and even the clothe Nigerians wear is a redundant fool. I appreciate such article because it uncovers the unpardonable error in judgment committed by some of our forbearers. Unfortunately, the new generations of Nigerians are drunk on blunders of yesteryears.

British created Nigeria for the sole economic interest of colonial masters. Nigeria as presently configured will never see progress as found in most developed or developing countries.

The socio-politico-economic progress that comes natural to nations of the world and cherished by their inhabitants will not flourish in the colonial contraption called Nigeria until it is deconstructed to usher true sense of nationalism and healthy competition borne out of mutual respect among nation-states that will emerge.

It is said that “a fool at forty may remain a fool for ever”. Nigerians can not continue to wallow in the junk erected for them by colonial masters who did not have the interest of the inhabitants in their mind during the construction

No wonder nobody seems to respect most Africans in general and Nigerians in particular because of boastful noises they generate and yet live under the junk constructed by people who disdained them.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by ono(m): 10:57am On Sep 28, 2010
Dede1:

Anybody who doubts the divisiveness of Nigeria or attempts to deny apparent distinctiveness of Nigeria based on ethnical landmark, culture, food, language and even the clothe Nigerians wear is a redundant fool. I appreciate such article because it uncovers the unpardonable error in judgment committed by some of our forbearers. Unfortunately, the new generations of Nigerians are drunk on blunders of yesteryears.

British created Nigeria for the sole economic interest of colonial masters. Nigeria as presently configured will never see progress as found in most developed or developing countries.

The socio-politico-economic progress that comes natural to nations of the world and cherished by their inhabitants will not flourish in the colonial contraption called Nigeria until it is deconstructed to usher true sense of nationalism and healthy competition borne out of mutual respect among nation-states that will emerge.

It is said that “a fool at forty may remain a fool for ever”. Nigerians can not continue to wallow in the junk erected for them by colonial masters who did not have the interest of the inhabitants in their mind during the construction

No wonder nobody seems to respect most Africans in general and Nigerians in particular because of boastful noises they generate and yet live under the junk constructed by people who disdained them.

I think you're a bit harsh on the Brits. Humans generally do all within their powers to survive - including the Brits. And just as the North, West and East guys are still ''colonising'' us today, the Brits did their colonisation with some human face, at least. They were ready to trade with our fathers - do legitimate business and pay for services. And even if they did not do that with every sense of honesty, the way they went about it portray them as people who will not molest less exposed and educated people. I can imagine how difficult it must have been for them to communicate and then trade with our forebears back in the 19th century when they first landed on our shores. Their coming brought with them medicine for treating ailments which our voodoo priests at the time could not cure. They also came with education and decent ways of doing things. Let us all appreciate them for these.

You should try and put yourself in their position before lashing out hard on them the way you have done.

Their coming to our shores did not bring evil all the way. Your entry in here is written in English (their language) - at least thank them for letting the world know that you exist somewhere on planet earth - on the dark continent.

It is now left to us all as different ethnic nationalities to derive some good in our differences. Let us all leverage on the diverse nature of our cultures to build a prosperous society that will be the envy of all other nations - the way GEJ put it that time.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 1:40am On Sep 29, 2010
ono:

I think you're a bit harsh on the Brits.

Unbelievable!! This is the kind of misdirected understanding that continues to make you people subservient to your Igbo lords, you will ultimately be ruled by them. Mark my word.

I hereby continue with excerps from a recent interview of Professor Ango Abdullahi, former Vice-Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria:

What is your opinion on Edwin Clark and others who have been clamouring for Jonathan to vie in 2011?

[b]This is why I wrote him a letter to remind him. I wrote him a letter personally on why he should tread with caution. We visited Warri a number of times. We had several meetings with the South-South people–mainly Ijaws–in Abuja, and that is how we agreed that they will support a northern presidential aspiration. But they will also want a South-southerner to be the vice-president, specifically, in the words of Edwin Clark, an ‘Ijaw man’. There are several tribes in South-South but he insisted on an Ijaw man. It worked out in the end. I Hope Clark will remember all these. He is not guiding Jonathan along the path of this agreement or understanding that it would get to them, after the North would have run its eight years. And if things work out the way we plan, the South-South will take its turn in 2015. And by that time it is the vice-president from that zone that will perhaps, depending on how he performs, emerge as the president. That was our agreement. But now, they want to disown that agreement and still want the North to support Jonathan to continue as president. Something must be wrong with the way they think.[/b]

Integrity is not a word that comes to mind whenever the name Edwin Clark is mentioned !!
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Beaf: 2:00am On Sep 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Unbelievable!! This is the kind of misdirected understanding that continues to make you people subservient to your Igbo lords, you will ultimately be ruled by them. Mark my word.

I hereby continue with excerps from a recent interview of Professor Ango Abdullahi, former Vice-Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria:

What is your opinion on Edwin Clark and others who have been clamouring for Jonathan to vie in 2011?

[b]This is why I wrote him a letter to remind him. I wrote him a letter personally on why he should tread with caution. We visited Warri a number of times. We had several meetings with the South-South people–mainly Ijaws–in Abuja, and that is how we agreed that they will support a northern presidential aspiration. But they will also want a South-southerner to be the vice-president, specifically, in the words of Edwin Clark, an ‘Ijaw man’. There are several tribes in South-South but he insisted on an Ijaw man. It worked out in the end. I Hope Clark will remember all these. He is not guiding Jonathan along the path of this agreement or understanding that it would get to them, after the North would have run its eight years. And if things work out the way we plan, [size=14pt]the South-South will take its turn in 2015[/size]. And by that time it is the vice-president from that zone that will perhaps, depending on how he performs, emerge as the president. That was our agreement. But now, they want to disown that agreement and still want the North to support Jonathan to continue as president. Something must be wrong with the way they think.[/b]

Integrity is not a word that comes to mind whenever the name Edwin Clark is mentioned !! 

shocked shocked shocked[b][size=14pt]
This 2015 is a very important year for the Fulani! That is the year they zoned to both the SE and SS for a dual presidency![/size][/b]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 2:08am On Sep 29, 2010
Beaf:

shocked shocked shocked[b]
This 2015 is a very important year for the Fulani! That is the year they zoned to the SE and SS for a dual presidency![/b]

You can laugh all you want, the laughter is expected from you and the likes of Edwin Clark and GEJ. You have no idea what agreements mean, lets hope you'll have the last laugh. The same agreement that made GEJ VP and President is what he has chosen to dishonour. That says a lot about the man.

You, olodo, are a well known tribalist and your reaction is expected. Rakumin dajij; sleepless c.ockroach.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Beaf: 2:41am On Sep 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

You can laugh all you want, the laughter is expected from you and the likes of Edwin Clark and GEJ. You have no idea what agreements mean, lets hope you'll have the last laugh. The same agreement that made GEJ VP and President is what he has chosen to dishonour. That says a lot about the man.

You, olodo, are a well known tribalist and your reaction is expected. Rakumin dajij; sleepless c.ockroach.

Na wa o! What has this got to do with groundnuts feeding Nigeria? shocked shocked shocked
This is too funny!
Dude, unnecessary anger and jealousy will cause you to explode o! grin
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Onlytruth(m): 3:42am On Sep 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

This is why I wrote him a letter to remind him. I wrote him a letter personally on why he should tread with caution. We visited Warri a number of times. We had several meetings with the South-South people–mainly Ijaws–in Abuja, and that is how we agreed that they will support a northern presidential aspiration. But they will also want a South-southerner to be the vice-president, specifically, in the words of Edwin Clark, an ‘Ijaw man’. There are several tribes in South-South but he insisted on an Ijaw man. It worked out in the end. I Hope Clark will remember all these. He is not guiding Jonathan along the path of this agreement or understanding that it would get to them, after the North would have run its eight years.[size=16pt] And if things work out the way we plan, the South-South will take its turn in 2015. [/size]And by that time it is the vice-president from that zone that will perhaps, depending on how he performs, emerge as the president. That was our agreement. But now, they want to disown that agreement and still want the North to support Jonathan to continue as president. Something must be wrong with the way they think.

Thank you for exposing your northern schemes! I have a question for you though. How will your northern presidential candidates keep the promise they are making to the Igbo about supporting them for 2015 presidency?

That you quoted a character like Ango Abdullahi on this issue really shows that you northerners have lost your damn minds!
Desperation is a terrible thing.
Let me tell you, if Jonathan will demonstrate some measure of tough skin and skull, the north will NEVER smell the presidency of that country until it either disintegrates or you northerners are excised from Nigeria.  cool cool

You think that only you can play vile politics; well, get ready for the rough ride. The most unfortunate thing for you is that Jonathan is still a young man, and as a result, he can become a life president if he really wants and there is NOTHING you and your brothers can do about that.

Oh, how I wish that Jonathan has balls!  cry angry
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 11:37am On Sep 29, 2010
Beaf:

Na wa o! What has this got to do with groundnuts feeding Nigeria? shocked shocked shocked
This is too funny!
Dude, unnecessary anger and jealousy will cause you to explode o! grin

Can you read at all? I told you that I will post excerps from Abdullahi's interview for your enjoyment and discussion. The Groundnut issues for the first excerp and Edwin Clark's exposure was the second. olodo.

Onlytruth:

Thank you for exposing your northern schemes! I have a question for you though. How will your northern presidential candidates keep the promise they are making to the Igbo about supporting them for 2015 presidency?

That you quoted a character like Ango Abdullahi on this issue really shows that you northerners have lost your damn minds!
Desperation is a terrible thing.
Let me tell you, if Jonathan will demonstrate some measure of tough skin and skull, the north will NEVER smell the presidency of that country until it either disintegrates or you northerners are excised from Nigeria. cool cool

You think that only you can play vile politics; well, get ready for the rough ride. The most unfortunate thing for you is that Jonathan is still a young man, and as a result, he can become a life president if he really wants and there is NOTHING you and your brothers can do about that.

Oh, how I wish that Jonathan has balls! cry angry

What makes you think that I or Ango Abdullahi speaks for the North? Please stop allowing tribalism becloud your better judgement. You are not even a card carrying member of the PDP so I don't understand why you are crying more than the bereaved.

If you are capable, comment on the excerp and leave your tribalism and myopic views behind. Rakumin dajij.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Beaf: 1:38pm On Sep 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Can you read at all? I told you that I will post excerps from Abdullahi's interview for your enjoyment and discussion. The Groundnut issues for the first excerp and Edwin Clark's exposure was the second. olodo.

What makes you think that I or Ango Abdullahi speaks for the North? Please stop allowing tribalism becloud your better judgement. You are not even a card carrying member of the PDP so I don't understand why you are crying more than the bereaved.

If you are capable, comment on the excerp and leave your tribalism and myopic views behind. Rakumin dajij.

Look at this clown! Even agbero's know that Ango Abdullahi speaks for the no good Northern Elders who have been threatening secession and civil war. He is part and parcel of that group of corrupt, ancient fckers headed by Adamu Ciroma and Tanko Yakasai and fronted for by Kanti Bello.

And lets get one thing clear; they speak for the core North, not the whole of the North. Don't spoil the name of the region.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 29, 2010
hmmm
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by FACE(m): 3:26pm On Sep 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

What makes you think that I or Ango Abdullahi speaks for the North? Please stop allowing tribalism becloud your better judgement.

Pathetic desperation. If you do not believe that Ango abdulahi's stance represents northern position, why are you going about quoting him ? And here I was, thinking that you had some integrity.

Double speak will not take you anywhere. You guys had no intention of letting the SS or SE produce the president in 2015. Karma was just hanging around the corner with his paycheck and he paid up.

Fate dealt you the wrong cards in the end , so you must now play with those cards. You guys keep talking about your right to 8 years uninterrupted rule but you cannot point to what you did with the other 37 years of misrule. Step aside and support prosperity. The everyday northerners should stone people like you for misleading them all these while and maintaining an elitist status , using them as a tool for mayhem and setting up yourselves as people to be revered. dan Iska.

O.k, let's assume that you should produce the next president in 2011; who do you want us to support ? Babangida, Atiku or Buhari ? You gotta be kidding me !
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by seanet02: 3:34pm On Sep 29, 2010
nawaoooooooooo
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Dede1(m): 5:26pm On Sep 29, 2010
ndu_chucks:

This is why I wrote him a letter to remind him. I wrote him a letter personally on why he should tread with caution. We visited Warri a number of times. We had several meetings with the South-South people–mainly Ijaws–in Abuja, and that is how we agreed that they will support a northern presidential aspiration. [b]But they will also want a South-southerner to be the vice-president, specifically, in the words of Edwin Clark, an ‘Ijaw man’. There are several tribes in South-South but he insisted on an Ijaw man. It worked out in the end. I Hope Clark will remember all these. He is not guiding Jonathan along the path of this agreement or understanding that it would get to them, after the North would have run its eight years. And if things work out the way we plan, the South-South will take its turn in 2015. And by that time it is the vice-president from that zone that will perhaps, depending on how he performs, emerge as the president. That was our agreement. But now, they want to disown that agreement and still want the North to support Jonathan to continue as president. Something must be wrong with the way they think.[/b]

I have never entertained animosity against northern region of Nigeria except during the pogrom and Nigeria/Biafra war. Since after the Nigeria-Biafra war, the assumed animosity I had about the entire civil war shifted to southerners who either cheered or joined the fight on the side of Nigeria/northern region.

The ndu_chuks post which made the revelation about clandestine meeting in Abuja between the northern politicians and so-called south-south where Edwin Clarke insisted that Ijo person should be the VP is enough evidence for Ndigbo and the so-called south-south ethnic groups besides Ijo to take strong inward look among them selves.

My grandfather told me not worry much about an opponent who had a stranglehold on me but never to forgive the onlookers who kept encouraging the opponent to apply deadly pressure. I shall never support any political candidature that emerges from the group of people I would unequivocally call betrayers.

If Ndigbo ride with GEJ candidature, I must conclude that Ndigbo are worse than bunch of educated fools.

Are you insinuating it is all dandy if the Hausa or Fulani or Kanuri or even Tiv rule south-south and taboo if Igbo rule? This is unfortunate and misguided yet parochial stream of thought.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Onlytruth(m): 5:55pm On Sep 29, 2010
Dede1:

The ndu_chuks post which made the revelation about clandestine meeting in Abuja between the northern politicians and so-called south-south where Edwin Clarke insisted that Ijo person should be the VP is enough evidence for Ndigbo and the so-called south-south ethnic groups besides Ijo to take strong inward look among them selves.

My grandfather told me not worry much about an opponent who had a stranglehold on me but never to forgive the onlookers who kept encouraging the opponent to apply deadly pressure. I shall never support any political candidature that emerges from the group of people I would unequivocally call betrayers.

If Ndigbo ride with GEJ candidature, I must conclude that Ndigbo are worse than bunch of educated fools. 

Are you insinuating it is all dandy if the Hausa or Fulani or Kanuri or even Tiv rule south-south and taboo if Igbo rule? This is unfortunate and misguided yet parochial stream of thought. 

I have never fooled myself about the intents of characters like Edwin Clarke of Ijawland. They have only one aim in mind, and that is to be THE dominant force in the south south and even the whole south. However, that does not mean that all Ijaws, or Jonathan himself, share the same rationale and philosophy. Even if they all do, the south is too big and too restless for a tribe of 5 million to dominate.

For now, I'm only concerned with what Ndigbo can get out of a four year Jonathan presidency. He is there, and I don't think the north is sincere with their 2015 carrot.

Why do I say that?

Well, the north has craved political power in Nigeria right from independence and used EVERY means and tricks on the book to keep that power. It is like they live, breath and abide in political power. I cannot say that of any other group in Nigeria. Because of that fact, any group that crosses the north on power issues become their mortal enemy. The Igbo made that "mistake" in January 1966, and though 44 years have elapsed the north is still scheming to keep Ndigbo away from that seat of power.

So, for me, when Lt Gen Ihejirika took over the leadership of the army, I started to believe that no single section owns Nigeria. And if Jonathan completes the Enugu International Airport project, some of the institutions of Igbo oppression designed by the north will start to give way.

Jonathan will inevitably do more in the coming four years. So, I can say boldly, that Ndigbo will not lose more than those whose lives depend on the politics of Nigeria.
Also, if Jonathan is smart, which I believe he is, he will use the opportunity of his presidency to cement the bond between the south east and south south, thereby making it harder for the north to manipulate in the future. There are wounds that needs to be healed and relationships mended.

Like I told Ndu_chucks, if Jonathan is a wise and strong leader, he will lead Nigeria for ever and the north can't do anything about it. All it takes if for him to realize his base, and I think he did that in his choices of army chief and SSS boss. You will also notice that I don't care about fairness in Nigeria because the north is not capable of delivering fairness. That Igboland lacks an international airport 40 years after the civil war, is enough proof of that.
Jonathan is from a minority, but if he plays it well, he can deliver our punch for us.  cool cool

Enough said.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 11:20am On Sep 30, 2010
FACE:

Pathetic desperation. If you do not believe that Ango abdulahi's stance represents northern position, why are you going about quoting him ? And here I was, thinking that you had some integrity.

Double speak will not take you anywhere. You guys had no intention of letting the SS or SE produce the president in 2015. Karma was just hanging around the corner with his paycheck and he paid up.

Fate dealt you the wrong cards in the end , so you must now play with those cards. You guys keep talking about your right to 8 years uninterrupted rule but you cannot point to what you did with the other 37 years of misrule. Step aside and support prosperity. The everyday northerners should stone people like you for misleading them all these while and maintaining an elitist status , using them as a tool for mayhem and setting up yourselves as people to be revered. dan Iska.

O.k, let's assume that you should produce the next president in 2011; who do you want us to support ? Babangida, Atiku or Buhari ? You gotta be kidding me !

I expected you, of all people, to have a nationalist take on these issues as opposed to a tribalistic one.  Your hatred for Northerners will do nothing but continue to eat you up.

The issue being discussed is really a PDP affair and I’m afraid you cannot discuss it rationally with a tribalist mind set.  You have already defeated yourself by insinuating that the next President must come from the PDP party. Shame on you. You educated ones should be working on a viable opposition to PDP rather than taking this losing stance. IBB, Atiku, and Buhari are not the only Northerners running for the Presidency, you have other options, if you really want to vote for a Northerner. Remember that no one believed that Obama could win in the last US presidential election – we now know better.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 11:28am On Sep 30, 2010
Dede1:

I have never entertained animosity against northern region of Nigeria except during the pogrom and Nigeria/Biafra war. Since after the Nigeria-Biafra war, the assumed animosity I had about the entire civil war shifted to southerners who either cheered or joined the fight on the side of Nigeria/northern region.

Dede1, I appreciate your objectivity and the honesty of the above post. You seem to be one of the few who are bright enough to grasp the issues being raised. I am tempted to call you a detribalized Nigerian.

By the way, my comment on the “south-south rule” was designed to cause pain to the poster called Ono and nothing else.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 11:34am On Sep 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

I have never fooled myself about the intents of characters like Edwin Clarke of Ijawland. They have only one aim in mind, and that is to be THE dominant force in the south south and even the whole south. However, that does not mean that all Ijaws, or Jonathan himself, share the same rationale and philosophy. Even if they all do, the south is too big and too restless for a tribe of 5 million to dominate.

Like I told Ndu_chucks, if Jonathan is a wise and strong leader, he will lead Nigeria for ever and the north can't do anything about it. All it takes if for him to realize his base, and I think he did that in his choices of army chief and SSS boss. You will also notice that I don't care about fairness in Nigeria because the north is not capable of delivering fairness. That Igboland lacks an international airport 40 years after the civil war, is enough proof of that.
Jonathan is from a minority, but if he plays it well, he can deliver our punch for us. cool cool

Enough said.

Onlytruth, please elaborate on the bolded part of your post. What exactly do you mean by this punch – I’m sure you are bold enough to speak clearly. I promise not to come and beat you.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 11:37am On Sep 30, 2010
Beaf:

Even agbero's know that Ango Abdullahi speaks for the no good Northern Elders who have been threatening secession and civil war. And lets get one thing clear; they speak for the core North , not the whole of the North. Don't spoil the name of the region.

What da heck is core North?
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by FACE(m): 11:39am On Sep 30, 2010
ndu_chucks:

I expected you, of all people, to have a nationalist take on these issues as opposed to a tribalistic one.  Your hatred for Northerners will do nothing but continue to eat you up.

The issue being discussed is really a PDP affair and I’m afraid you cannot discuss it rationally with a tribalist mind set.  You have already defeated yourself by insinuating that the next President must come from the PDP party. Shame on you. IBB, Atiku, and Buhari are not the only Northerners running for the Presidency ?

Ok, I am trying to figure out where I showed any form of hatred for northerners.  

Last time I checked Buhari was not in PDP so I did not limit my response to PDP aspirants.

I want PDP out as well, but who has mounted a serious campaign to oust them ? And why must the next president come from the north ? Is it your birth right ? OK lets throw our weight behind Pat Utomi or Donald Duke; if not show me who is better from the north.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by nduchucks: 12:36pm On Sep 30, 2010
FACE:

Ok, I am trying to figure out where I showed any form of hatred for northerners. 

Last time I checked Buhari was not in PDP so I did not limit my response to PDP aspirants.

I want PDP out as well, but who has mounted a serious campaign to oust them ? And why must the next president come from the north ? Is it your birth right ? OK lets throw our weight behind Pat Utomi or Donald Duke; if not show me who is better from the north.

FACE, I never accused you of showing any form of hatred for northerners, in fact I know enough about you not to expect the portrayal of such hatred.

According to the agreement that gave rise to Jonathan as VP, the next PDP presidential candidate should come from the North -  that’s all I am pointing out. I agree with you that we all should be supporting the best candidate for the country based on their leadership abilities and vision. Most people, including you, would agree with me that Jonathan does not possess these qualities.

Pat Utomi has been stained by his loan scandal as far as I am concerned and Duke’s Tinapa theft is not a quality I admire.  You by the way have refused to mention Ribadu or Gusau– I wonder why.
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by FACE(m): 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2010
ndu_chucks:

FACE, I never accused you of showing any form of hatred for northerners, in fact I know enough about you not to expect the portrayal of such hatred.

According to the agreement that gave rise to Jonathan as VP, the next PDP presidential candidate should come from the North - that’s all I am pointing out. I agree with you that we all should be supporting the best candidate for the country based on their leadership abilities and vision. Most people, including you, would agree with me that Jonathan does not possess these qualities.

Pat Utomi has been stained by his loan scandal as far as I am concerned and Duke’s Tinapa theft is not a quality I admire. You by the way have refused to mention Ribadu or Gusau– I wonder why.

Ndu_Chucks da Ndu_Chuks. You never accused me of hatred and what is this
ndu_chucks:

I expected you, of all people, to have a nationalist take on these issues as opposed to a tribalistic one. Your hatred for Northerners will do nothing but continue to eat you up.

? Are you smoking ganja with pito today or what ? Ok go and mellow and come back. You know I hate northerners but you know that I would not portray such hatred. That's some strong weed in action right there.

You accused me of insinuating that the next president must come from PDP, yet you went and started lamenting how PDP had an agreement.

Jonathan is the one eyed man among other blind contestants from PDP. When credible contestants come forth in PDP, I shall support them regardless of where they come from. You are used to being handed things on a gold platter, e.g quota system, but I am used to working hard for stuff so you must change and also try to work hard like the rest of us. Put forward a credible candidate to contest like everyone else or go and sulk in a quiet corner.

You have your choice in Gusau and Ribadu and I look at Gusau as one of those that should be shot for looting the country and for being a coupist. What are Gusau's accomplishments other than being a coupist and looting the nation dry ? The man himself said that he wants to run because of the arrangement of "pass the batton" that he had with Babangida and Abacha before Abacha died on him. I am disappointed that you even mentioned Gusau.

If this talk is about PDP, how does Ribadu fit in ? Ribadu was a selective attack dog in his time, rude with dictatorial tendencies so I do not view him in the same light as you do. Why did you not mention Col Umar ? He does not fit your bill right ?

I am all for continuity and stability and for that reason, Jonathan should emerge as PDP candidate if no other credible candidate wants to step up and convince me why they are better than Jonathan. Let me make it clear that Jonathan would not be my first choice PDP flag bearer if not for his useless opponents, because I do not think he has the grit, zeal,decisiveness and leadership qualities I would love to see in a president.

Now, what loan scandal are you talking about, Re: Pat Utomi ?
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by Onlytruth(m): 9:52pm On Sep 30, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Onlytruth, please elaborate on the bolded part of your post. What exactly do you mean by this punch – I’m sure you are bold enough to speak clearly. I promise not to come and beat you.

I know you know, but I will elaborate because it is not a secret. undecided

Since January 1966, Nigeria has been transmogrified into a strange non-descript animal. The country has been turned into an inheritance of northern Nigeria.

Before independence, there was relative stability, with power equally balanced between THREE regions.
However, for 40 years after the war, the north ensured that all strategic military installations and institutions of power were located in the north. The north also ensured that military recruitment was skewed to advantage the north leading to northern dominance of the military rank and file.

With that in place, the north then set out to design the future of Nigeria alongside its recidivistic paradigm, whereby Nigeria also became a fiefdom controlled by the north.

Before 1960, Nigerians could elect national leaders (president, senate president etc) without northern votes. That is how Zik became president (even if ceremonial, though I think it wasn't undecided).

Fast forward to 2010, nobody in Nigeria now believe a Nigerian president can emerge without Northern votes!
So what changed?

Today, I can't become president unless the north likes me. How did that come about?

So, to my punch.

First, I want Jonathan to conduct a proper census of Nigeria.
Second, I want him to take steps to return Nigeria to balance by moving and restructuring the military.
Finally, I want him to remove all hidden obstacles (planted by the north) to federal presence in Igboland.

Mind you, these are things that will ensure that Nigeria continues as one nation. He will not be doing these unless he is patriotic. Anyone who supports the continued marginalization of Ndigbo in Nigeria is unpatriotic and does not want Nigeria to survive. So, in essence, our punch is to have Jonathan restructure Nigeria for justice, fairness and balance.

If he can't do these, then, he does not deserve my vote. cool cool
Re: Where Was The South South In 1914, 1945, 1960? by houvest: 4:08am On Oct 01, 2010
ndu_chucks:

[b]This is why I wrote him a letter to remind him. I wrote him a letter personally on why he should tread with caution. We visited Warri a number of times. We had several meetings with the South-South people–mainly Ijaws–in Abuja, and that is how we agreed that they will support a northern presidential aspiration. But they will also want a South-southerner to be the vice-president, specifically, in the words of Edwin Clark, an ‘Ijaw man’. There are several tribes in South-South but he insisted on an Ijaw man. It worked out in the end. I Hope Clark will remember all these. He is not guiding Jonathan along the path of this agreement or understanding that it would get to them, after the North would have run its eight years. And if things work out the way we plan, the South-South will take its turn in 2015. And by that time it is the vice-president from that zone that will perhaps, depending on how he performs, emerge as the president. That was our agreement. But now, they want to disown that agreement and still want the North to support Jonathan to continue as president. Something must be wrong with the way they think.[/b]

I have always suspected  this conspiracy. It is always a  wrong way to solve problems of a multi-ethnic society as Nigeria. A National Conference is a better approach were a total overview of  National issues is discussed. When it comes to powersharing, the agreement should be made by all the 6 geopolitical zones on how, when and whom not just a ganging up of two or three groups against the rest on how they will parcel out power among themselves and possibly give fragments to others when they decide. This is the bane of this Nation. If Nduchuks says it was a PDP affair why were all the 6 zones not present or represented at the meeting. All these conspiracies are coming back to bite the North on the backside. Clarke may be a bigot but using the North's own tactics to outsmart them is needed just like OBJ is doing. Till the North stops seeing themselves as kings and kingmakers, there is no sane reason to support them anymore by any Southern zone. It is obvious that the North does not see their historical/traditional alliances with the S.East as reciprocal but rather a use and dump tactic. The SE should support GEJ to the hilt and start fashioning a new politic for herself . Even if GEJ does not succed, a North /East alliance should never ever be contemplated anymore after deciphering this Northern mindset. The same goes also for the SS or SW. They used the Se against the Sw in the 50s and 60s. Used the Sw and SS against the SE in the civil war and after. Trying to use the SE against the SS in the present era. The South should wake up and smell the capuchino.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News: Tinubu, Ribadu, Adeola Escape Death In Bauchi. / Nigeria Has Been Named The Fourth Highest Importer Of Armoured Vehicles In The W / Amosun’s Road Project Consumes Osoba’s Father’s Grave In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.