Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,376 members, 7,836,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (289) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (976390 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by whirlwind7(m): 6:51am On Nov 29, 2019
Jakumo:

For not much more money spent, you could acquire a 2004 CLK500 with a 5-liter V8. It is a better designed car, with fewer issues like rust.

If you are in a position to spend a bit more, the go the whole hog and buy a 2008 or 2009 CLK 550, the flagship of the fleet, which accelerates like a jet on the takeoff roll, I chit you not.

You do know a lot abt Mercs.
Can you help me out with this, pls?
I'm looking to get a 2008/2009 E350 4matic.
I'm partial to station wagon for certain reasons: it's for the missus smiley

What advice would you give here?
Is it better to opt for an older model?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by barrydee(m): 6:55am On Nov 29, 2019
Jakumo:

For not much more money spent, you could acquire a 2004 CLK500 with a 5-liter V8. It is a better designed car, with fewer issues like rust.

If you are in a position to spend a bit more, the go the whole hog and buy a 2008 or 2009 CLK 550, the flagship of the fleet, which accelerates like a jet on the takeoff roll, I chit you not.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:44am On Nov 29, 2019
Jakumo:

Seconded.

barrydee:

Nice one but in my opinion, the design of the 2004 clk looks feminine to me & doesn't have that masculine aggressive looks like the 2000-2002 facelift clk. I also understand that the first generation clks are prone to rusts became somany of them were imported from Europe(very harsh snowy weather) hence the rusts. But this one I am referring to is an American spec(the one with the smaller rear number plate compartment) and I checked for rusts all round & under the car but couldn't find any. Besides which is more rugged and durable between the 1999-2002 and the 2004-2008 models?

Listen to the man.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by theoilguy: 10:58am On Nov 29, 2019
banky3w:

Baba G ran out of 5w-30 oh(according to what he told me on WhatsApp). I don't know if aunty radu carry Mobil 1. Now that you mentioned Dru though lipsrsealed
'

We have Mobil 5w30 Extended Performance in stock, 17,000 only. Give us a try.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AshipaEk0: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2019
lubehouse9ja:
It's just 14k bro..

Which side you dey for Lagos?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 3:00pm On Nov 29, 2019
whirlwind7:

You do know a lot abt Mercs.
Can you help me out with this, pls?
I'm looking to get a 2008/2009 E350 4matic.
I'm partial to station wagon for certain reasons: it's for the missus smiley

What advice would you give here?
Is it better to opt for an older model?

A W211 Mercedes E 350 from 2008 or 2009 would be a good buy, but in your shoes, I would avoid the 4-Matic drive train, because when it develops problems, they can cost a small fortune to fix.

The W211 is a car whose beauty is undeniable, I plan to buy a 2009 W211 E550 at some point, but then remove the trouble-prone air suspension, and replace it with a kit from Strutmasters shown in the following link at $1K USD for all four corners, springs and shocks.

https://www.strutmasters.com/products/2003-2009-mercedes-benz-e550-rwd-sedan-4-wheel-air-suspension-conversion-kit-with-light-fix-module-me34fm-2/

Check out this W211 E350. She is a beauty for sure.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by whirlwind7(m): 5:06pm On Nov 29, 2019
Jakumo:

A W211 Mercedes E 350 from 2008 or 2009 would be a good buy, but in your shoes, I would avoid the 4-Matic drive train, because when it develops problems, they can cost a small fortune to fix.

The W211 is a car whose beauty is undeniable, I plan to buy a 2009 W211 E550 at some point, but then remove the trouble-prone air suspension, and replace it with a kit from Strutmasters shown in the following link at $1K USD for all four corners, springs and shocks.

https://www.strutmasters.com/products/2003-2009-mercedes-benz-e550-rwd-sedan-4-wheel-air-suspension-conversion-kit-with-light-fix-module-me34fm-2/

Check out this W211 E350. She is a beauty for sure.

Sigh....who wouldn't fall in love with that smooth machine up there? smiley

Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, my greatest fear is over the air suspension. Which is why I was thinking about getting an older model.
I'm not sure I could get a reliable technician to change the air suspension to regular shocks if I end up with one.
Do you happen to know the year Mercedes began to install air suspension on this model?

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 5:31pm On Nov 29, 2019
whirlwind7:

Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, my greatest fear is over the air suspension. Which is why I was thinking about getting an older model.
I'm not sure I could get a reliable technician to change the air suspension to regular shocks if I end up with one.
Do you happen to know the year Mercedes began to install air suspension on this model?

The V8 sensei of our time has told you everything you need to know. As for the swap from air to coil overs, it's very simple and straightforward, any proper Benz Kazeem will breeze through it, will cost you between 180-200k. Could get to 250k if it's a 4matic (at a much later time, i will specify what exactly you'll be changing and which switches you'd be deactivating). Just run a simple Google search and YouTube will guide you through it, been there done that.

Kazeemization consultant grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 5:58pm On Nov 29, 2019
grin my new hobby. Mercedes truck.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 6:05pm On Nov 29, 2019
whirlwind7:

Thanks for the feedback.

The good news is that the air suspension was only installed in the V8 models of the W211, meaning that the E350 will come from the factory with standard old-school shocks and springs, so as long as you aren't planning on buying an E550, air suspension will not be present.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:22pm On Nov 29, 2019
Jakumo:

The good news is that the air suspension was only installed in the V8 models of the W211, meaning that the E350 will come from the factory with standard old-school shocks and springs, so as long as you aren't planning on buying an E550, air suspension will not be present.

False. Airmatic was an option on the E320 and E350. Standard on the E500 and E550. So, an E350 could have airmatic.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 7:44pm On Nov 29, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

False. Airmatic was an option on the E320 and E350. Standard on the E500 and E550. So, an E350 could have airmatic.

Good call HeavenB. An option on the 320/350, and standard on the E550. Some of the more beautiful Mercs ever built, came stock with that problematic airmatic system that is a magic carpet when new, but a money-pit less than a decade later.

It is good to know that the Strutmaster coil spring conversion kit is available for quite a few of those Mercs such as the SL550 R230, when those air suspensions inevitably give out.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 8:05pm On Nov 29, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

My E320 4matic was factory fitted but we give thanks to God Almighty for his doings grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 8:07pm On Nov 29, 2019
Jakumo:

Good call HeavenB. An option on the 320/350, and standard on the E550. Some of the more beautiful Mercs ever built, came stock with that problematic airmatic system that is a magic carpet when new, but a money-pit less than a decade later.

It is good to know that the Strutmaster coil spring conversion kit is available for quite a few of those Mercs such as the SL550 R230, when those air suspensions inevitably give out.

Good to see some people still buy brand new conversion parts. I and my house will use the alternative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 8:23pm On Nov 29, 2019
Eddee:

Good to see some people still buy brand new conversion parts. I and my house will use the alternative toks

grin grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 8:35pm On Nov 29, 2019
thebigkendo:

grin grin

Baba, I'm still waiting for your robust response. Smartchoiice has done the needful, abi you want receipts of payment and note for the file as per installation?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 9:51pm On Nov 29, 2019
Eddee:

Baba, I'm still waiting for your robust response. Smartchoiice has done the needful, abi you want receipts of payment and note for the file as per installation?

Aunty Radu has confirmed his order grin grin grin

Over a year after it came to pass grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 10:09pm On Nov 29, 2019
thebigkendo:

Aunty Radu has confirmed his order grin grin grin

Over a year after it came to pass grin grin

KENDO! KENDO!! KENDO!!! how many times did I call you? grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 10:47pm On Nov 29, 2019
radautoworks:

KENDO! KENDO!! KENDO!!! how many times did I call you? grin

Maybe I should start monthly request for my catalystic converter angry angry

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:49am On Nov 30, 2019
thebigkendo:

I'll donate iron sponges instead

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:50am On Nov 30, 2019
Eddee:

Leave that my friend kwa

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 8:35am On Nov 30, 2019
thebigkendo:

kiss
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by whirlwind7(m): 8:36am On Nov 30, 2019
Jakumo:

Hallelujah!

Thanks, man!
Now I've set my sniper scope, without an atom of reservation, on one of those beauties.
No AMG, of course! cheesy
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by lubehouse9ja(m): 10:39am On Nov 30, 2019
Thank you very much..
AshipaEk0:

Which side you dey for Lagos?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thebigkendo(m): 11:16am On Nov 30, 2019
Smartchoiice:

I'll donate iron sponges instead

Thanks I will keep on using my spacer instead grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 6:11am On Dec 01, 2019
whirlwind7:

Hallelujah!

Thanks, man!
Now I've set my sniper scope, without an atom of reservation, on one of those beauties.
No AMG, of course! cheesy

One of Nairaland's car meisters, called HeavenlyBang, posted a reminder earlier in this thread, that SOME of the W211 E350 cars were in fact equipped with the problematic air suspension, as an option, therefore before you buy, run the VIN number online to look at all the vehicle's factory-installed options, so as to be sure that "air-matic suspension" is NOT listed as being a fitted option.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 01, 2019
Hi guys.
Happy Sunday.
So u hit the interstate today morning while travelling for work related purposes and my car really struggled to go beyond 175kph and it really struggled to get there sef.
Can you all help point out what the culprit could be out of these possibilities;
-leaky exhaust at the neck,close to the manifold where the exhaust line attaches to the engine.
-Scanned and it pointed out MAF (current and stored),even after changing it and wiping the code,it keeps coming back.
-Gear oil.Haven't checked the level or quality in a while(been so occupied lately).
Which amongst these could cause this?
Experts in the house,please help.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 9:35am On Dec 01, 2019
Logobenz:
Hi guys.
Happy Sunday.
So u hit the interstate today morning while travelling for work related purposes and my car really struggled to go beyond 175kph and it really struggled to get there sef.
Can you all help point out what the culprit could be out of these possibilities;
-leaky exhaust at the neck,close to the manifold where the exhaust line attaches to the engine.
-Scanned and it pointed out MAF (current and stored),even after changing it and wiping the code,it keeps coming back.
-Gear oil.Haven't checked the level or quality in a while(been so occupied lately).
Which amongst these could cause this?
Experts in the house,please help.
What's d highest speed you usually get before?
Do you hv check engine light on?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 01, 2019
shortgun:

What's d highest speed you usually get before?
Do you hv check engine light on?
Yes check engine light is on(O2 sensor ish).
I use to go up to 220kph or so normally but now before e reach 165 na war then it will now struggle to go up to 175kph then max out at 180kph and doesn't rev up again more than 5000 rpm.
It just stays there no matter how hard I depress the throttle.
And it whines a lot too. undecided
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 3:01pm On Dec 01, 2019
Logobenz:
Yes check engine light is on(O2 sensor ish).
I use to go up to 220kph or so normally but now before e reach 165 na war then it will now struggle to go up to 175kph then max out at 180kph and doesn't rev up again more than 5000 rpm.
It just stays there no matter how hard I depress the throttle.
And it whines a lot too. undecided
The bad O2 sensor will definitely make ur car slower.
Note also that O2 sensor code can also mean something is not right with the exhaust system.
Also, try and get another MAF that's a perfect match for ur engine....
How I do this:
Install MAF, start engine and rev slowly... observe rpm
Allow engine to idle....check for rough idle....if non noticed.
Take car for a test drive at high speeds and observe performance.
Clear fault codes and test again.
If the engine light doesn't come back and engine is idling fine than u r good to go.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Beatswim: 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2019
Mercedes benz e240 distress sales for 850k but slightly negotiable... Buy and drive.. In good perfect condition..
Location is ado ekiti
Contact 08035182976

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 4:48pm On Dec 01, 2019
Beatswim:
Mercedes benz e240 distress sales for 850k but slightly negotiable... Buy and drive.. In good perfect condition..
Location is ado ekiti
Contact 08035182976
Ur ride looks clean bro cool
Which year is this?
Engine pics?

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.