Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (969203 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
smartchoice: Au Hanson is being modest.

Sure man!!

Bros, i spend 6 hrs in that process, all the spares brought to me by my dealer could not match my head shaft that terminate into the gearbox . I loosen almost all the looseable trying to swap components with the ones brought to me with my uninstalled gearbox but all to no avail. What i finally did was to flush out all the fluid in it, assemble it back and install to my vehicle. I then use that opportunity to examine my centre thyroid, it didnt look too good,too soft for my liking(my road is terrible no doubt, worst than an off-road, tho under endless construction), had to bring it down and ordered a new replacement, another 3 hrs to install all them back . Mehn during testing the car felt like just bought it new from MB factory, i never felt any of the endless gallops and the clearances in the steering wheel, went for alignment and came home was only cushioning through my horrible road at the greatest ease as though i was driving an ML.

It felt so solid. What am i trying to say, this car components are so rugged and reliable .I can now say it has finally pick the standard of my MB 190
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 03, 2013
pictures?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:45pm On Nov 04, 2013
smartchoice: pictures?

sorry, i never taught of posting or do reference to it so didn't snap anything.

Besides, the task was so enduring being my first time of doing it, i would have given up if it wasn't my car .. but next time i could do it within a very short time interval.

Actually what you'll nee will be a wrench and socket or a rachet 15, 17 spanner, 5 star alen key and a phillip screw driver.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:25am On Nov 05, 2013
VIN:- WDB2020231A514477

Who can kindly look up this car for me.

It is supposed to be 1997 C180 classic. The pix I got shown the rear of the car without a badge. I just need to know whether it is truly C180 or C230.

I don't want to take gamble with fuel economy.

See pix below
It is 5SP Auto, auto climate control

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 9:43am On Nov 05, 2013
VIN number WDB2020231A514477
Region Germany
Factory / Manufacturer Sindelfingen
Mark Mercedes-benz
Model C 230
Version W202
Body limousine
Engine 111.974 12 032130 - M 111 E23 Usa; Gasoline Engine With Injection System
110 Kw (150 Ps / Din) From Model Year 97
Gearbox W 5 A 330; AUTOMATIC FIVE-SPEED TRANSMISSION WITH CONVERTER
Wheel Drive rear-wheel drive
Serial Number 514477
ziccoit: VIN:- WDB2020231A514477

Who can kindly look up this car for me.

It is supposed to be 1997 C180 classic. The pix I got shown the rear of the car without a badge. I just need to know whether it is truly C180 or C230.

I don't want to take gamble with fuel economy.

See pix below
It is 5SP Auto, auto climate control

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 10:26am On Nov 05, 2013
Eyop: VIN number WDB2020231A514477
Region Germany
Factory / Manufacturer Sindelfingen
Mark Mercedes-benz
Model C 230
Version W202
Body limousine
Engine 111.974 12 032130 - M 111 E23 Usa; Gasoline Engine With Injection System
110 Kw (150 Ps / Din) From Model Year 97
Gearbox W 5 A 330; AUTOMATIC FIVE-SPEED TRANSMISSION WITH CONVERTER
Wheel Drive rear-wheel drive
Serial Number 514477

Thump up. MB thread is full of resources. Thanks a lot.
*Angry* @C230
My prescription was either C200 or C180. Now that I'm landed with C230, who can tell me the fuel economy is still going to be fine? At least for psychological priming.

The agent is still insisting all the papers carried C180. I should have run here b4 I gave him go ahead. Kai.

Please, somebody has to tell me the fuel economy is going to be fine.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 10:44am On Nov 05, 2013
Looking through the engine pix now. I discovered I was unable to locate MAF sensor where it should be. Is this model devoid of maf sensor?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:59am On Nov 05, 2013
ziccoit:

Thump up. MB thread is full of resources. Thanks a lot.
*Angry* @C230
My prescription was either C200 or C180. Now that I'm landed with C230, who can tell me the fuel economy is still going to be fine? At least for psychological priming.

The agent is still insisting all the papers carried C180. I should have run here b4 I gave him go ahead. Kai.

Please, somebody has to tell me the fuel economy is going to be fine.

Guy, you have nothing to worry about , you should even be thanking God that you have good power there and MPG, Better hurry up and embrace that power house. My MB 190 is vboot 230 engine too, and her power is amazing
There is one thing about the c230; performance combine with fuel efficiency
See the following in uk MPG(thats the standard):

Displacement 2,295 cc as against c180 of 1,799 cc
Cylinders 4
Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 220 Nm → 162 lb-ft (3,700 rpm)
Power Output 150 bhp (5,400 rpm) as against c180 of 122 bhp (5,500 rpm)
Kilowatts 109 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Manual
Performance and Economy

Top Speed 130 mph (210 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 10.50 sec. as against c180 that does it in 12.00sec
Average Mileage 30 mpg as against te c180 that does it at 31 mpg averaging
Highway Mileage 39 mpg same as c180
City Mileage 22 mpg same as c180

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 12:03pm On Nov 05, 2013
ziccoit: Looking through the engine pix now. I discovered I was unable to locate MAF sensor where it should be. Is this model devoid of maf sensor?

Hello Eyop, pls confirm your vin check again, because to my eyes this engine looks like a c180 engine,i stand to be corrected,the steering pump there too is that of the early model and that doesn't carry the MAF, I beg to differ.

Just confirm that there was no mix up, thanks

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 1:57pm On Nov 05, 2013
au.hanson:

Guy, you have nothing to worry about , you should even be thanking God that you have good power there and MPG, Better hurry up and embrace that power house. My MB 190 is vboot 230 engine too, and her power is amazing
There is one thing about the c230; performance combine with fuel efficiency
See the following in uk MPG(thats the standard):

Displacement 2,295 cc as against c180 of 1,799 cc
Cylinders 4
Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 220 Nm → 162 lb-ft (3,700 rpm)
Power Output 150 bhp (5,400 rpm) as against c180 of 122 bhp (5,500 rpm)
Kilowatts 109 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Manual
Performance and Economy

Top Speed 130 mph (210 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 10.50 sec. as against c180 that does it in 12.00sec
Average Mileage 30 mpg as against te c180 that does it at 31 mpg averaging
Highway Mileage 39 mpg same as c180
City Mileage 22 mpg same as c180

Thanks my Chief I appreciate. At least I am a little relieved.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 2:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
au.hanson:

Hello Eyop, pls confirm your vin check again, because to my eyes this engine looks like a c180 engine,i stand to be corrected,the steering pump there too is that of the early model and that doesn't carry the MAF, I beg to differ.

Just confirm that there was no mix up, thanks

I'm sure of the following specs coming with the car
1. 5SP Auto. With W&S swithes
2. Cruise control
3. Auto climate control.
Maybe the picture of a different car engine was posted by mistake. The background of engine pix doesn't not even look the same to those of the rear and front pixs. I will contact d agent and get back to the house.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yemmyeni1999: 3:03pm On Nov 07, 2013
Maybe someone can help me here.

My Mercedes Benz C-Class 180, 1996 has no fault, but I have problems getting the code to power its radio system up. This is giving me great concern, as I cannot do without listening to music while driving, at home and in the office. I do not want to buy another tape/radio of other make, but the special Mercedes Benz radio/tape that came with the car. Anybody that can help should please do so, I'm at my wits end. Thanks. Revd. Ayeni, Oyo, Oyo State [yemmyeni1999@hayoo.com]

My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 2006 has a fault. When you power the radio system up, it just flashes the Benz logo and shuts itself off again - no sound, no display - nothing. It was working well until i made a mistake of trying to add a woofer and external amplifier to it, obviously, the technician made a wrong move and something just blew up and he cant trace it since. Someone suggests it is the in built amp that is gone bad- but not sure if this is right. Anyone has any suggestions?[/quote]
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 4:05pm On Nov 07, 2013
yemmyeni1999: Maybe someone can help me here.

My Mercedes Benz C-Class 180, 1996 has no fault, but I have problems getting the code to power its radio system up. This is giving me great concern, as I cannot do without listening to music while driving, at home and in the office. I do not want to buy another tape/radio of other make, but the special Mercedes Benz radio/tape that came with the car. Anybody that can help should please do so, I'm at my wits end. Thanks. Revd. Ayeni, Oyo, Oyo State [yemmyeni1999@hayoo.com]

My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 2006 has a fault. When you power the radio system up, it just flashes the Benz logo and shuts itself off again - no sound, no display - nothing. It was working well until i made a mistake of trying to add a woofer and external amplifier to it, obviously, the technician made a wrong move and something just blew up and he cant trace it since. Someone suggests it is the in built amp that is gone bad- but not sure if this is right. Anyone has any suggestions?

My tech guys in kaduna have fixed a similar problem on a E350. And it was also as a result of an add-on by a quack.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Guddy(m): 9:24am On Nov 08, 2013
ziccoit:

I'm sure of the following specs coming with the car
1. 5SP Auto. With W&S swithes
2. Cruise control
3. Auto climate control.
Maybe the picture of a different car engine was posted by mistake. The background of engine pix doesn't not even look the same to those of the rear and front pixs. I will contact d agent and get back to the house.

What are the W and S switch meant for?

Also, I saw a manual w202 c180 wagon which has the "elegance" tag crested on the body but "Esprit" was crested on the gear stick. There is a chamber in the engine hood for automatic shock absorber fluid Does this automatic shocks come with all these type of vehicles? I tried to locate the VIN at the usual VIN locations but I couldn't find the VIN. What could have happened? Am just curious.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 1:37pm On Nov 08, 2013
Guddy:

What are the W and S switch meant for?

Also, I saw a manual w202 c180 wagon which has the "elegance" tag crested on the body but "Esprit" was crested on the gear stick. There is a chamber in the engine hood for automatic shock absorber fluid Does this automatic shocks come with all these type of vehicles? I tried to locate the VIN at the usual VIN locations but I couldn't find the VIN. What could have happened? Am just curious.

W-wet
S- summer/sport.

Abt the elegance/Esprit, u know pple can be, a guy use 2 drive around in a car marked S600 but if u look at the features its actually an S500. So only the VIN check can revel the true identity of the car.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 10:27pm On Nov 08, 2013
ziccoit: Looking through the engine pix now. I discovered I was unable to locate MAF sensor where it should be. Is this model devoid of maf sensor?

That looks just like my engine (C200) and yes those earlier models don't always come with the maf sensor...
But then again looking @ the gear box pic this is definitely a c180 pic. Also that the auto windows are for the front windows only (typical of most early 180's).
Finally the pic for the front nd rear are one and the same car but that engine bay gives the mixup away. Check d sticker on the persenger side of the front view is missing through the raised bonnett... Also not a 406 like vehicle on d left side of the engine pic but in the other two d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ r different vehicles around. So dat vin is not for the car shown. Gbam!!!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 11:07pm On Nov 08, 2013
aikerism:

That looks just like my engine (C200) and yes those earlier models don't always come with the maf sensor...
But then again looking @ the gear box pic this is definitely a c180 pic. Also that the auto windows are for the front windows only (typical of most early 180's).
Finally the pic for the front nd rear are one and the same car but that engine bay gives the mixup away. Check d sticker on the persenger side of the front view is missing through the raised bonnett... Also not a 406 like vehicle on d left side of the engine pic but in the other two d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ r different vehicles around. So dat vin is not for the car shown. Gbam!!!

You are correct about your 2nd paragraph. There was a mixed up. The engine pix was actually for a 1995 C220 black ext colour. I couldn't get the engine pix of the car posted.

Although I am yet to see the car but I want to believe the vin belongs to the car and it is actually C230 not C180. Vin report revealed some specs that the agent did not mention which I later confirmed to be true. E.g sunroof, blue interior etc. Every other information on the vin report matches the car. I will update the house when the car land.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 11:09pm On Nov 08, 2013
I also cannot wait to confirm same because someone banned me while trying to help with the VIN.
ziccoit:

You are correct about your 2nd paragraph. There was a mixed up. The engine pix was actually for a 1995 C220 black ext colour. I couldn't get the engine pix of the car posted.

Although I am yet to see the car but I want to believe the vin belongs to the car and it is actually C230 not C180. Vin report revealed some specs that the agent did not mention which I later confirmed to be true. E.g sunroof, blue interior etc. I will update the house when the car land.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 11:19pm On Nov 08, 2013
Eyop: I also cannot wait to confirm same because someone banned me while trying to help with the VIN.

Eyah, sorry about that. It must be a spambot. Computer no get sense.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 12:05am On Nov 09, 2013
It's ok my brother. Most times VIN doesn't lie so lets just await the arrival of your car because i did a VIN decoder from several other sites and it still stated C230. But i know from the picture that the engine wasn't a C230 because if i see one,i will know. But whether C230 or C180,you will still enjoy them both because the economy in it is almost same if not the same. So nothing to worry about just that the C230 is a supercharged engine while the C180 is not.
ziccoit:

Eyah, sorry about that. It must be a spambot. Computer no get sense.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 5:17am On Nov 09, 2013
Eyop: It's ok my brother. Most times VIN doesn't lie so lets just await the arrival of your car because i did a VIN decoder from several other sites and it still stated C230. But i know from the picture that the engine wasn't a C230 because if i see one,i will know. But whether C230 or C180,you will still enjoy them both because the economy in it is almost same if not the same. So nothing to worry about just that the C230 is a supercharged engine while the C180 is not.

Yes Chief. Thanks.
1997/1998 C230 are not supercharged but natural aspirated engines. The production was then discontinued.
1999/2000 C230K are supercharged. Although this may be argued to be false outside the American markets, because I saw some European 1997/1998 C230 models with kompressors online. In fact some W202 C200 in Europe are also supercharged.
The American cars review sites usually don't give a damn about the vehicles outside their border. The reason for this, I don't know.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 09, 2013
@ziccoit just checked my vin thanks for the link
Main data
Parametr Value
Ident. number (FIN) WDB2020181A114633
Baumuster 202018
Sales name C180
Cabin 00000
Permanent link http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check?su=hvrmjpw1
Order number 0 3236 02301
Delivery date Try to define yourself (tables in russian)
PAINT1 040
Interior color 001A
Engine 111920 10 063969
Gearbox 717417 06 537786
Lights units VALEO
Wipers BOSCH
Class 1
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by socrateez(m): 6:03pm On Nov 09, 2013
I drive an E230 1995 Benz but I have problem with the AC. Two technicians have examined it with each person giving different verdict. One said it's the condenser, the other said its the compressor. Please, can anyone give me phone no of a reliable and technically sound AC technician?
Also, the wireless key entry has packed up and someone is charging me 100k to replace it (imagine). I need help please.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
You're almost gone cheesy but anyway calm down you're in the right place. First of all where do you live?

socrateez: I drive an E230 1995 Benz but I have problem with the AC. Two technicians have examined it with each person giving different verdict. One said it's the condenser, the other said its the compressor. Please, can anyone give me phone no of a reliable and technically sound AC technician?
Also, the wireless key entry has packed up and someone is charging me 100k to replace it (imagine). I need help please.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by socrateez(m): 8:01pm On Nov 09, 2013
I stay in Arepo, Lagos Ibadan Expressway.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
are you ready to visit Lagos?

socrateez: I stay in Arepo, Lagos Ibadan Expressway.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2013
ziccoit:

Although I am yet to see the car but I want to believe the vin belongs to the car and it is actually C230 not C180. Vin report revealed some specs that the agent did not mention which I later confirmed to be true. E.g sunroof, blue interior etc. Every other information on the vin report matches the car. I will update the house when the car land.

I beg to disagree that the engine posted is dat of a 95 c220. I own one and it has an MAF. Well, mine might be an exception dou a mecho confirmed dat its d c200 & 180 dat I shld av bought since they dont hav MAF.

Also, its an E/S switch dat I av by my gear stick. How might dat define.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 10, 2013
post your vin.

jahjehova:

I beg to disagree that the engine posted is dat of a 95 c220. I own one and it has an MAF. Well, mine might be an exception dou a mecho confirmed dat its d c200 & 180 dat I shld av bought since they dont hav MAF.

Also, its an E/S switch dat I av by my gear stick. How might dat define.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 1:35pm On Nov 10, 2013
ziccoit:

I beg to disagree. I use a '95 c220. It has an MAF. I also believe all in dat series do too.

My gear shows an E/S switch. how do they define?

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.