Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (970071 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Kenchosen: 10:47pm On Dec 17, 2013
prudence.smart:

Hello guys, I want to really appreciate the effort of one of you who went and fix my my c180 MB on Sunday free of charge, despite his busy Schedule. I didn't know Nigeria still have people like this. Thankyou very much bro.

I am so honored to appreciate him openly in this forum and to state what he did for your information. How i wish he would come out to narrate the steps taken by him to solve such problem for me , because he has been so wonderful according to my mum:

He was able to diagnose the car down to the level of low resistance wires around and via the ignition coils. Infact,despite the fact that the car ECU could not link to his diagnostic tool, he absolutely tested the wires and rewire them back, the main culprit .The car had a multiple problem. He went a step further and replace the keys,as the key was also burnt.He replace the Bendix at the spot as well as even detected another unnoticeable fault with cylinder 2 valve. He actually did a compression test and found out that cylinder 2 was shutdown, according to him probably, because of the misfire, the ecu detected and shutdown that cylinder to avoid damage to it. the valves are really having issues hence will need a rework.

Now to crown it all the vehicle was restarted by him and my mum is using it again. She confesses that the car performances is better than before. Although he caution that the valve issue in the cylinder 2 should be tackle sometime soon by a good mechanic, that he could even do it for me if he is chance again by the upper week, but that he can only do that in his place, of which i am very comfortable with.

This guy is a human MB manual. He went on to explain that it is a big task to remove the cylinder head and replace or rework the valves, seats etc as appropriate by some engineering workshop. How i wish he will come up to speak for himself and detail his approach for our knowledge.

Thanks Hanson. the car will be brought to you only at your convenience for the remaining task. I dont want anybody to touch it. Thanks once again.

this morning my machanic call me n said after
scaming the E-class it was discovered that it has
lost of memory. n unable to accelerates the
engine.
pls help me who do I speak with, n what he
contact? pls help.08033473921 dat is mine.
thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:53pm On Dec 17, 2013
Thanks AU Hanson... The 1 and only PortHarcourt 1st son... God bless you real good! Keep it up cool
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 7:28pm On Dec 18, 2013
@Au.Hanson, you are too much, keep on the good work.

House, here is what I observe in my W202 C230. When I put down the accelerator (throttle) either slightly or fully, I commonly observe a cricket-like sound that seems to be coming from the rear half, underneath the car.

What could be the cause of this strange sound? All is well with the car performance wise and the rest except for that cricket-like sounds.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 18, 2013
Sell it!

ziccoit: @Au.Hanson, you are too much, keep on the good work.

House, here is what I observe in my W202 C230. When I put down the accelerator (throttle) either slightly or fully, I commonly observe a cricket-like sound that seems to be coming from the rear half, underneath the car.

What could be the cause of this strange sound? All is well with the car performance wise and the rest except for that cricket-like sounds.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by pafestula(m): 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
smartchoice: drop your phone no.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 12:52am On Dec 19, 2013
smartchoice: Sell it!

Mala, se you go buy am?
When planning is already in top gear to acquire yours join mine. You haven't seen those who I sent with bags of money to come persuade you?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 5:43am On Dec 19, 2013
lol

removes the 4 tires, replaces fuel pump relay with a spoilt one, disables the coil boots, interchanges the harness wire plugs and cuts the ckp in the middle! Now send your malams to buy.... grin cheesy grin cheesy

ziccoit:

Mala, se you go buy am?
When planning is already in top gear to acquire yours join mine. You haven't seen those who I sent with bags of money to come persuade you?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 5:58am On Dec 19, 2013
pafestula:
remove ur numbers
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:57am On Dec 19, 2013
smartchoice: lol

removes the 4 tires, replaces fuel pump relay with a spoilt one, disables the coil boots, interchanges the harness wire plugs and cuts the ckp in the middle! Now send your malams to buy.... grin cheesy grin cheesy

Butcher!

Seriously @Smartchoice, what do you think could be the problem here? It bothers me because I want everything to work 100% right.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 19, 2013
get on to a pit in a filling station's garage to check the sound out

ziccoit:

Butcher!

Seriously @Smartchoice, what do you think could be the problem here? It bothers me because I want everything to work 100% right.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by prudencesmart(m): 1:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
smartchoice: lol

Smartchoice, your attention is needed here:" https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/9#20350901"
thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Uten9z(m): 10:28am On Dec 22, 2013
I own a Mercedes C240 (w203) fuse 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and rely C and are nt fixed what are the functions and implications. could so me1 help.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 11:57am On Dec 22, 2013
Uten9z: I own a Mercedes C240 (w203) fuse 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and rely C and are nt fixed what are the functions and implications. could so me1 help.

W203 c240's ranges from 200x-2007. Elaborate details would have helped but meanwhile look under-the-cover of the fuse-box, you'll find them clearly stated there otherwise refer to your car manual.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Uten9z(m): 4:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
inze:

W203 c240's ranges from 200x-2007. Elaborate details would have helped but meanwhile look under-the-cover of the fuse-box, you'll find them clearly stated there otherwise refer to your car manual.

inze, thanks,
the issue is that in the c240 model 01, has nothing under at the fuse cover(in trunk) and my manual is in German. I just observe fuse 20 allow me to raise and return the rear sunshade.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by halohs: 9:02pm On Dec 24, 2013
smartchoice: send/post ur email addy

email addy is kennyshols@yahoo.com....thanks...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by segedoo(m): 7:00pm On Dec 25, 2013
Hi MB gurus, Much respect. I just got a c200 1998, manual tranny.

1. What are the things I must ensure the mechanic does while servicing it for the 1st time?

2. Where is the engine number written under the hood?

3. Can someone please send me it's manual? My email segedoo@gmail.com.

4. I spoke to a MB Mech who said it'd cost 17k to service. Is this a fair price?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:57pm On Dec 25, 2013
@ Prudence, Eyop, Ziccoit,yungbos, Aikerism and lots of you, i must say i'm oblige by your kind words.

Honestly i didn't expect Prudence to publish this here, But his kind heart did. Honestly i was even trying to protect his privacy by doing that discreetly, else i would have pictured the whole thing for your digest in this thread. If i have to fix the remaining aspect, the bad valves on bank2 cylinder 2, with his permission, i'll feature some aspect here for your digest.

Once again, thanks and Merry Christmas to you all.

At Ziccoit, i'm sorry for this late response, i had a long day, the item you requested is sold here for 10,000.00 at the after market, i dont know if this is still relevant to you, but i believe it should be a lot cheaper, even half of that price in Lagos and Onitsha

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 25, 2013
how much are you selling hanson?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 5:47am On Dec 26, 2013
Hello smart choice, I don't have it for sale, but that's d market price I enquire here. They hardly know it by name, unless accompany with a picture
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 6:43am On Dec 26, 2013
@au.hanson you are welcome back on board. Hope you are staying on this time around. Thanks for your efforts. The one that has gone bad in my car is digital climate control unit, ther automatic one. I saw it on ebay with price ranging between $50-$250 excluding transportation fees.

@au.hanson, Prudence said something relating to engine working temperature on W202 thread. Can you kindly go in there and voice your opinion and understanding? Thanks as you are doing so.

Here is the image

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 26, 2013
okay, how is the baby?

au.hanson:
Hello smart choice, I don't have it for sale, but that's d market price I enquire here. They hardly know it by name, unless accompany with a picture
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:32pm On Dec 26, 2013
ziccoit: @au.hanson you are welcome back on board. Hope you are staying on this time around. Thanks for your efforts. The one that has gone bad in my car is digital climate control unit, ther automatic one. I saw it on ebay with price ranging between $50-$250 excluding transportation fees.

Oh sorry! My understanding was the 'automatic ac control unit' as you quite stated..That not withstanding, can you rephrase the name well as it pertain to your car, your pictures are not very clear. I cant pick the detail to really understand what its is like

However, forget ebay, their "shakara" with Nigeria is unnecessarily unbecoming , and is annoying..I dont have to beg them to be partronised. You can source from elsewhere like aliexpress and they will deliver staright to your doorstep with UPS or DHL. Infact, anything you could buy from ebay can be bought elsewhere like aliexpress, cnautotools etc and delivered straight to your home. i have bought a lot of items from abroad and delivered to me at my doorstep from other merchant site at even better prices than ebay, i dont have to narrow my world to their mercy, no , not at all.

Is this what you meant?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:35pm On Dec 26, 2013
ziccoit:
@au.hanson, Prudence said something relating to engine working temperature on W202 thread. Can you kindly go in there and voice your opinion and understanding? Thanks as you are doing so.

Ok! you mean c180 thread? I'll go and check it up.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:46pm On Dec 26, 2013
smartchoice: okay, how is the baby?

Oh! She is doing fine and hearty ..she kicks all the way with good handling and good food to keep at optimal condition.. though recently i'm more of my Benz 190 love as my daily ride, because of the near total deplorable state of the roads..still under heavy construction.

I believe you must be enjoying your new engine? and the over heat has stopped? else we can discuss it a little more with suggested solutions
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:50pm On Dec 26, 2013
au.hanson:

Oh sorry! My understanding was the 'automatic ac control unit' as you quite stated..That not withstanding, can you rephrase the name well as it pertain to your car, your pictures are not very clear. I cant pick the detail to really understand what its is like

However, forget ebay, their "shakara" with Nigeria is unnecessarily unbecoming , and is annoying..I dont have to beg them to be partronised. You can source from elsewhere like aliexpress and they will deliver staright to your doorstep with UPS or DHL. Infact, anything you could buy from ebay can be bought elsewhere like aliexpress, cnautotools etc and delivered straight to your home. i have bought a lot of items from abroad and delivered to me at my doorstep from other merchant site at even better prices than ebay, i dont have to narrow my world to their mercy, no , not at all.

Is this what you meant?

Oh, I actually referred to climate control unit. The first picture in your post. Thank for pointing out eBay alternatives. I have already tried and looked it up on aliexpress but couldn't find the part.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:54pm On Dec 26, 2013
au.hanson:

Ok! you mean c180 thread? I'll go and check it up.

Yes. Thank you.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:30am On Dec 27, 2013
not referring to the car.....real baby! the over heating has not stopped any small hold up sees my temp @ 100 Celsius. And serious malfunction of the car.

au.hanson:

Oh! She is doing fine and hearty ..she kicks all the way with good handling and good food to keep at optimal condition.. though recently i'm more of my Benz 190 love as my daily ride, because of the near total deplorable state of the roads..still under heavy construction.

I believe you must be enjoying your new engine? and the over heat has stopped? else we can discuss it a little more with suggested solutions
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 3:42am On Dec 27, 2013
smartchoice: not referring to the car.....real baby!

Lol. Let his/her mum catch you. That day, you will know mum doesn't joke with her baby. @au.hanson actually got you right. My advice, go and sleep. You don stay awake too long grin grin grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 6:36am On Dec 27, 2013
ziccoit: My advice, go and sleep. You don stay awake too long grin grin grin

Hehehe from someone nairalanding @ 3am!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 6:46am On Dec 27, 2013
smartchoice:

Hehehe from someone nairalanding @ 3am!

No now, I just came around to ask you to go and sleep grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:48am On Dec 27, 2013
smartchoice: not referring to the car.....real baby!

Oh! Oh! Oh! my honey? She is doing real fine , they are enjoying daddy seriously..i take them out and make them feel the love of their Daddy...

smartchoice:
the over heating has not stopped any small hold up sees my temp @ 100 Celsius. And serious malfunction of the car.

It may likely be the season here at the moment, it is worst than the summer in Indonesia,Texas, hot European countries and the North America. The atmospheric temperature could be as high as 28 to 32 degrees celcius..That is why you see some cars coming from there carrying 71 degrees celcius thermostat. Mine with 87degrees celsius does same too in this season but only in a heavy long stop and go holdup. Infact at two occasions my ECU had to shutdown my fuel pump to save the car from damages when it got to 110. So mostly i use my MB 190 now, the one with 71 degrees celsius thermostat. More on this is found here:"https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/9#20485143" . But let us not conclude matters yet in your own case.

First, start by checking your radiator cover for leakages, and replace that if it leaks or suspect leakage. I did this in my case and it improved a little.

Then check your radiator itself too for leakages and the radiator core plugs in the engine block or near the cylinder head for leaks and for dirt.

Oxidation, dirts and sludge can clog your radiator core. It can even be the result of adding too much stop leak to the system. Inshort, do a steam wash and flush your radiator very well to clear any clogging in the cells. This may help, but probably you are headed for a radiator replacement because this may be as the result that the radiator is too old or has high mileage.

You can as well ask your mechanic to pressure test the cooling system , that equipment is not expensive. It can even be done free for you.

Check your radiator cooling fan and be sure they are all working fine.

Your cooling system may have trapped air. Usually in a new system like this when you pour in your coolant, you do not close the other end of the waste pipe while idling your vehicle and pouring in coolant untill there is a steady flow of water escaping through the waste pipe, local way of doing it.

Some cars have a bleeder on the thermostat housing that can be opened to release the trapped air. Most of the time trapped air is the problem when the car overheats within a short time of a major cooling system repair.

You may have a defective Fan Clutch. On rear wheel drive vehicles with belt-driven cooling fan, a "fan clutch" is often used to improve fuel economy. The clutch is a viscous-coupling filled with silicone oil. The clutch allows the fan to slip at high speed, which reduces the parasitic horsepower drag on the engine. If the clutch slips too much, however, the fan may not turn fast enough to keep the engine cool.

The silicone fluid inside the clutch breaks down over time and can leak out due to wear, too. If you see oily streaks radiating outward on the clutch (and/or the fan can be spun by hand with little or no resistance when the engine is off), it means the clutch is bad and needs to be replaced. Any play or wobble in the fan due to wear in the clutch also signals the need for a new clutch.

Thermostat too can be the culprit, we have already covered so much on that.

Your cooling/external fans may not be working well. You can test this by putting your ac on at the highest speed after starting your car, if your fans doesn't come up after a very short while or immediately then something is wrong somewhere; you may have a blown fuse, or fail fan relay or the fan itself.

The last but not the least, Your head gasket may have started failing, you may have a crack there or a blown head gasket.

In extreme case, this can show itself with plumes of white smoke billowing from your exhaust pipe telling you that coolant is pouring into your car's cylinders. If it leaks to the outside, you will see puddles of coolant under your car that are not located near anything that should leak.The car simply will not start after you have turned it off when it is hot. This may not pertain to you, as you have just fix a new engine but if it does then you may have to replace your head gasket-dont be in a hurry to do that yet. Start from the least things from above.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 27, 2013
thanks, I have done some of the things listed here already.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.