Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (971767 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shoppyanno(m): 11:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
I have always loved the W202 especially the 2000 model & will always love it. From my online research, the W202 is about the best C-Class ever built.
Some consumer reviews even went as condeming the Leather seats of the W203 as inferior to that of W202.
Also the turning radius of the wheels were also in focus.most consumers still rated the W202 over the 203.
In terms of Body structure, I still prefer the W202 to 203.
The W202 is Indeed a CLASSIC.

Anyone wants to dispute this?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Megatone(m): 9:14am On Aug 22, 2014
Just got meself a 2004 C200 kompressor. Brethren i most say its the best car i have driven so far. The suspension, stability, acceleration and comfort. But i have a little challenge, i don't know the right engine oil for servicing cus i dont want to take chances. Any suggestion would highly be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 9:17am On Aug 22, 2014
Megatone: Just got meself a 2004 C200 kompressor. Brethren i most say its the best car i have driven so far. The suspension, stability, acceleration and comfort. But i have a little challenge, i don't know the right engine oil for servicing cus i dont want to take chances. Any suggestion would highly be appreciated.
Congratulations and welcome to the family. The recommended Engine oil is Mobil1 0W-40.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 22, 2014
Megatone: Just got meself a 2004 C200 kompressor. Brethren i most say its the best car i have driven so far. The suspension, stability, acceleration and comfort. But i have a little challenge, i don't know the right engine oil for servicing cus i dont want to take chances. Any suggestion would highly be appreciated.

Alternatively total quartz 9000 oil is also very good...and rarely pirated compared to Mobil 1
Welcome to the hood.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Megatone(m): 11:07am On Aug 22, 2014
@ Eyop and Smartchoice thanks alot for the tip. I appreciate
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:05am On Aug 23, 2014
Hi House I had a random cylinder misfire and would love to replace the plugs of my C320 they should be changed at 100k miles and my car is already at 98k. Has anyone changed theirs? Is there a set of 12 plugs? And how much should I budget.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by klint16: 9:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
cne010: Hi House I had a random cylinder misfire and would love to replace the plugs of my C320 they should be changed at 100k miles and my car is already at 98k. Has anyone changed theirs? Is there a set of 12 plugs? And how much should I budget.

Wch state r u?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
klint16:

Wch state r u?

Lagos
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shoppyanno(m): 10:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
I hail thee @ Oga Eyop. Which is the most rugged & reliable?
W202 or W203?
I'd appreciate answers from folks who have used/driven these models
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 10:30pm On Aug 23, 2014
shoppyanno: I hail thee @ Oga Eyop. Which is the most rugged & reliable?
W202 or W203?
Hello sir, W202 is the most rugged and most reliable of all C class but though the W204 series are gradually picking up in terms of reliability but you know the price of that one isn't child's play. The W203 is fashionable with more gadgets compared to the W202.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 23, 2014
shoppyanno: I hail thee @ Oga Eyop. Which is the most rugged & reliable?
W202 or W203?

I drive a w203 my guy the wires and modules in that car reach to start networking company. I think a rugged car should be able to survive adverse weather conditions. The w203 is not rugged can't fare through flooded terrains well. I don't know about the w202 I don't think it would be as electrical as the w203 hence more rugged I stand to be corrected.

If your road is not good I'm sorry I'm not visiting.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
cne010:

I drive a w203 my guy the wires and modules in that car reach to start networking company. I think a rugged car should be able to survive adverse weather conditions. The w203 is not rugged can't fare through flooded terrains well. I don't know about the w202 I don't think it would be as electrical as the w203 hence more rugged I stand to be corrected.

If your road is not good I'm sorry I'm not visiting.

That's why i said the W202 is the most rugged of all. The W202 will survive the adverse weather condition without much issues but that won't be possible with the W203 or W204.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shoppyanno(m): 10:47pm On Aug 23, 2014
Thanks @Oga Eyo & Cne for you objective answers. Someone was flaunting a W203 from Germany@ 1.2m just cleared 2day. The fabric seats put me off though I was almost falling for it o angry
I'll stick to my W202 jeje. Lol
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 10:52pm On Aug 23, 2014
shoppyanno: Thanks @Oga Eyo & Cne for you objective answers. Someone was flaunting a W203 from Germany@ 1.2m just cleared 2day. The fabric seats put me off though I was almost falling for it o angry
I'll stick to my W202 jeje. Lol
Individual taste differs so another may prefer the W203 depending on the condition. You know some people don't like anything oldskool and prefers something more modern but like i said, taste is the factor here. But my brother the W203 apart from road condition of the User,is still da bomb smiley. I still remember when i drove w203 2005 C240 from Lagos to Uyo with the Harman Kardon sound system inside,i never felt stressed at all oooh so me i still love the W203 sha.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shoppyanno(m): 11:03pm On Aug 23, 2014
Eyop:
Individual taste differs so another may prefer the W203 depending on the condition. You know some people don't like anything oldskool and prefers something more modern but like i said, taste is the factor here. But my brother the W203 apart from road condition of the User,is still da bomb smiley. I still remember when i drove w203 2005 C240 from Lagos to Uyo with the Harman Kardon sound system inside,i never felt stressed at all oooh so me i still love the W203 sha.
Different Strokes for Different Folks. Like you said, its a matter of taste & choice. For me, I'm tilted towards the old skool.
The first thing that always come to my mind when looking out for a vehicle is , "How rugged & relaible it is before any other thing"
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 11:09pm On Aug 23, 2014
shoppyanno:
Different Strokes for Different Folks. Like you said, its a matter of taste & choice. For me, I'm tilted towards the old skool.
The first thing that always come to my mind when looking out for a vehicle is , "How rugged & relaible it is before any other thing"

Working on pre-ordering the (W204) 2012 Mercedes C350 Sports with AMG wheels strictly for Long distance trip and occasional use cos that's one model that gives me joy each time i see it. You don't expect such car to be used as an everyday car. However if am to choose between the W202 or W203 to support the W204,i will go for the W202 rather than even thinking Japanese.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 12:37am On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:

Working on pre-ordering the (W204) 2012 Mercedes C350 Sports with AMG wheels strictly for Long distance trip and occasional use cos that's one model that gives me joy each time i see it. You don't expect such car to be used as an everyday car. However if am to choose between the W202 or W203 to support the W204,i will go for the W202 rather than even thinking Japanese.
...the Infiniti G35 is an awesome Japanese car...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 3:15am On Aug 24, 2014
yungboss:

I would prefer the G37
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 7:53am On Aug 24, 2014
yungboss:

I understand that some Japanese are great just like the lexus but am taking into consideration the security risk associated with driving a Japanese mostly if it's an everyday ride except one is sure that by 7pm you are indoors grin. Brands like Toyota,Honda,Nissan are prone to theft. My friends Camry was stolen at Gunpoint even after 1 year & 6 months of usage and the worst was it wasn't comprehensively insured. Though am not carrying such mentality because many have bought theirs Brand new and used for many years without issues. MTN bought a brand new Honda Accord for my neighbour,it was stolen after 3 months of usage,He secured another Toyota Avensis,it was stolen after 4 months of usage. MTN had to stop him from driving.

You hardly hear that from Europe cars.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 24, 2014
This was one of the reason I sold my Camry. When I go to a joint or a club I always insist on parking inside thieves love Camrys the most. Those cars sell so quick. I kept mine on nairaland and not more than a week someone bought it.

With a Benz knowing nobody can even enter without the key let alone even start the car is very reassuring. The most important things in all is to have a comprehensive insurance.

With my w203 I can even park outside my gate overnight though my estate is safe but regardless I wouldn't do that in the Camry.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 12:38pm On Aug 24, 2014
cne010: This was one of the reason I sold my Camry. When I go to a joint or a club I always insist on parking inside thieves love Camrys the most. Those cars sell so quick. I kept mine on nairaland and not more than a week someone bought it.

With a Benz knowing nobody can even enter without the key let alone even start the car is very reassuring. The most important things in all is to have a comprehensive insurance.

With my w203 I can even park outside my gate overnight though my estate is safe but regardless I wouldn't do that in the Camry.

My brother you are right. I do advice night crawlers that Japanese mostly the Camry,Corolla,Highlander,Accord,Civic,etc are not models for night crawlers though it can still happen during the day. God will continue to protect his children.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
My brother you are right. I do advice night crawlers that Japanese mostly the Camry,Corolla,Highlander,Accord,Civic,etc are not models for night crawlers though it can still happen during the day. God will continue to protect his children.

Yes my brother na God dey save us.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 7:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
I have been eyeing a W203 for a while now... Trying to make up my mind on changing my W202 to it.
But from my personal observation:
(1) the W202 is more roomy (both in width and height, am very tall and the 203 feels a bit tight, if you find yourself in a situation where u have to sit 4 adults behind, the 202 will do better)
(2) for me the 202 is more rugged and reliable and just Oga Cne said d 203 has way too much wire dis and wire dat hence making the 202 more tolerable when it comes to electrical issues.
(3) the 202 has cheaper components. When its time for replacements and also a simpler engine bay compared to the 203 that has sensor this and sensor that.
(*) but I read somewhere that the 202 has a recirculating ball steering while the 203 drives and handles better because it has a rack and pinion steering.( undecidedwhatever that means )

But truth is the styling and packaging of the 203 is more appealing, it has more toys therefore its nippier than the 202 in dat.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2014
aikerism: I have been eyeing a W203 for a while now... Trying to make up my mind on changing my W202 to it.
But from my personal observation:
(1) the W202 is more roomy (both in width and height, am very tall and the 203 feels a bit tight, if you find yourself in a situation where u have to sit 4 adults behind, the 202 will do better)
(2) for me the 202 is more rugged and reliable and just Oga Cne said d 203 has way too much wire dis and wire dat hence making the 202 more tolerable when it comes to electrical issues.
(3) the 202 has cheaper components. When its time for replacements and also a simpler engine bay compared to the 203 that has sensor this and sensor that.
(*) but I read somewhere that the 202 has a recirculating ball steering while the 203 drives and handles better because it has a rack and pinion steering.( undecidedwhatever that means )

But truth is the styling and packaging of the 203 is more appealing, it has more toys therefore its nippier than the 202 in dat.

My brother you cannot remain with the 202 forever and you must definitely upgrade. A lot are driving the 203 without issues and thank God you know all these things you pointed out and is just for you to be watchful of them. Apart from the issue of space with the 203 because of your height,every other reason pointed out to me is not an issue.

So if you still have interest in the 203,i still will suggest you go for it and you can still decide to keep your 202 to support the 203.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:40pm On Aug 24, 2014
klint16:
klint16: my c200 kompressor brings out black smoke, anyway not that much. Please what might be the problem? Also before I changed my oil I found out that the oil has short n I was hearing kokokokoko from the engine anytime I run on the street, it only happens any time I throttle the car on a low speed. I don't kn if it happens on high speed cos all I can hear is breeze, then I quickly changed the oil cos I was suspecting it was engine knocking sound but after changing oil, I still hear the sound.what can I do to stop it? It makes feel like changing the car n I love the car cos she has been serving me greatly.pls anyone with experience in the can help.thanks all in anticipation. Waiting for solns.

Please house am still waiting for ur suggestions. My mechanic said its timing. D house just ignored my post. Abi nobody has same experience or I never pay my dues.

If you haven't already solved this, i dont think you heard the noise from your engine , it may have come from your exhaust pipe, if so , then you have a damage exhaust pipe(one of the port composition is damaged on the inside,precisely the catalytic converters), clue from the black smoke, and maybe a rattling noise when you fire to high rpm, which is a sign of damage exhaust system...Sometimes some things need to be precisely observe physically than literally.. Many times i have taught of one thing from the narration of the symptom but only to discover a different thing on close examination.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:

My brother like inze rightly commented,#1.2million is very realistic for a 2000 model W202 whether kompressor or a naturally aspirated type.
Guy, pick the kompressor you wont regret it, just know how the system works and you 'll be fine. The price is ok for a 2000 mode kompressor , even though you could still bargain something lesser, just slightly less or else still go with it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:22pm On Aug 24, 2014
smartchoice:

My Oga am thinking if shoppyanno should get a classic Merc instead of the kompressor model....what's your take?

Abeg my guy, let him take that KOMPRESSOR, its an awful machine with such a gearbox, you can 'tap' 'tap' to move like jet. thats machine you've got there boy.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:25pm On Aug 24, 2014
cne010:

Bros 1.3 can get a W203

Before you start with w203 size your pocket well
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by klint16: 12:07am On Aug 25, 2014
auhanson:

If you haven't already solved this, i dont think you heard the noise from your engine , it may have come from your exhaust pipe, if so , then you have a damage exhaust pipe(one of the port composition is damaged on the inside,precisely the catalytic converters), clue from the black smoke, and maybe a rattling noise when you fire to high rpm, which is a sign of damage exhaust system...Sometimes some things need to be precisely observe physically than literally.. Many times i have taught of one thing from the narration of the symptom but only to discover a different thing on close examination.

Tnx bro. I also went to visit anoda mechanic and he observed it and said its gasket issue. He said if gasket didnt create gap btw the top and the something i cant rember that i ll b hearing that noise. I think wen the previous gasket was changed it wasnt replaced with the original one.
He still said that the black smoke is cause by the air flow meter and i ve tried two but didnt work. I tot wen catalytic converter is bad, i ll be perceiving rotten egg smell from the exhaust? I planned taking to mechanic tomorrow but the worst happen today. My friend just bashed the car with a range rover 2014. The front is finished my broda. I pray the own forgives my car Amen!!!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 12:11am On Aug 25, 2014
klint16:

Tnx bro. I also went to visit anoda mechanic and he observed it and said its gasket issue. He said if gasket didnt create gap btw the top and the something i cant rember that i ll b hearing that noise. I think wen the previous gasket was changed it wasnt replaced with the original one.
He still said that the black smoke is cause by the air flow meter and i ve tried two but didnt work. I tot wen catalytic converter is bad, i ll be perceiving rotten egg smell from the exhaust? I planned taking to mechanic tomorrow but the worst happen today. My friend just bashed the car with a range rover 2014. The front is finished my broda. I pray the own forgives my car Amen!!!
Sorry about your ordeal, who was at fault @ the bolded?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:12am On Aug 25, 2014
@klint16 sorry about your Benz.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 8:35am On Aug 25, 2014
@klint16 am so sorry to hear. Of the mishap, I hope your car was not at fault cos it will be difficult to get out of this issue.
All the best my Bro...
Kaa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.