Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (965342 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:43am On May 12, 2011
8000 Naira is more than $50, and thats what Mobil-1 of 4 liters is sold , , and its sold @ many Mobil Filling stations here in Nigeria.

I would look for 10w-40 as you recommended, I hope to get it cheaper.

I use Mobil-1 for my other car- , Camry: and I am anticipating oil replacement sometime in July/August after about 10-11 months,

I understand Mobil-1 could be cheaper in the long run, considering the cost of filter and the and the interval for other brands, in my Camry I use even less than 4-litre, but MB is 5 - 6 litres , I would do the estimation and revert,

Most likely, I am sure I can get a good brand like Mobil-1 in a 5-litre bottle as opposed to 4litre of Mobil-1 and @ a cheaper rate too, in any case, I would update you.

thanks alot.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 10:20am On May 12, 2011
You are welcome Kuntash.

I actually misunderstood you and took your price as quart instead of a gallon. But still, it is too expensive. A quart of M1 is $6.99 here. As far as I am concerned, it is still overpriced because it is not better in quality than many of the other brands due to several independent tests that I have come across. Yet, MB engines are tailored to it. MB lost a lawsuit a few years ago because the dealerships weren't reinstalling M1's after an oil change.

I do understand how you feel. $140 is what it cost me for oil and filter and almost $110 on my older E when I used M1. This is minus labour. So, it will be stupid of me not use the extended drain interval and dump money in labour.

On the other hand, there are some other oils MB recommended if there isn't access to M1. I don't know them by specification. I'm having some service done sometime between today or tomorrow. If I am not opportuned to, then I will call and feed you back the information I get. Wait, for the meantime.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tweex: 1:36pm On May 12, 2011
I totally agree with Trac on the green coolants. They are bad news. I drive a 2004 w203 C240. I discovered some months after using the green coolant on my car I noticed oil in the water can of the cooling system. Bottomline is I just changed the gearbox and the gear cooling system. so beware!!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 2:07pm On May 12, 2011
@ tweex, please what r u using currently and where did you get it?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tweex: 2:44pm On May 12, 2011
Same 2004 c240. Got it 2009 and still driving it. Got it from a car dealer at Ikeja. Apart from the gearbox issue caused by the green coolant, I have not had any major issues. Fantastic ride!!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tweex: 2:46pm On May 12, 2011
oh . Just clearly read your question. DId you mean the coolant? I dont use coolant for now, just distilled water. Searched all over town for zerex, no luck.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:25am On May 13, 2011
tweex:

oh . Just clearly read your question. DId you mean the coolant? I dont use coolant for now, just distilled water. Searched all over town for zerex, no luck.

I knew it would be difficult getting the real coolant, although I have not exhausted my efforts in getting it,

I was of the opinion ordinary distilled water alone cant stop corrosion and tends to boil @ normal temp of 100deg C. considering that engine is designed to be hot?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 7:45am On May 13, 2011
tweex:

Tweex, that isn't good.  You risk a radiator, a water pump, shorter oil intervals and possibly a warped head.  No corrosion inhibitors for the radiator, no lubricant for the bearings and seals in the water pump and the engine oil will break down sooner.  Water only absorbs heat and boiling point is low.

Man, that was some decision you made.

If you can't find Zerex, look for a comparable alternative, like BMW, Audi/VW and so on.  Do not opt for anything as DexCool or Toyota Red.  Don't drive on water alone.

. . . and the green coolant!!!   That shouldn't be a thought for any vehicle.  What's annoying is that it is not even cheap.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 8:09am On May 13, 2011
@Kuntash,

I need to make a correction.  229.3 & 229.5 are only 0w-40.  10w-40 is more like generic.  0w-40 has more phosphorus and zinc level than any of the other brands save for 5w-50 and 15w-50.  0w-40 are not sold in gallons but quarts.

I have attached the Mobil 1 documentation to this.  I have images currently being uploaded to photobucket (but it's taking quite long).  I was at the store and I took pictures and went through every brand that made sense.  It was just M1.

In MB's documentations for their contemporary engines, many brands were approved.  It will explicitly state 229.3/229.5 or 229.5 or MB Approved 229.5.  I just added the 229.3 but I doubt if you will find the .3 formulation as a standalone.  I believe they have all been upgraded or deprecated to favour the .5.  Every single one of them is European Fomulated.

229.3 (outdated but might still find some in the shelf)

AGIP EXTRA HTS 5W-40
AGIP Synthetic PC 0W-40
AGIP Eurosport 0W-40
Castrol Formula RS Road and Track 5W-40
Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC 5W-40
Castrol TXT SOFTEC PLUS 5W-30
CIFAB Synthoil Hydrocrack HC7 5W-40
Elf Excellium LDX SAE 5W-40
Esso Ultron 5W-40
Fuchs Titan SuperSyn SL 0W-30
Havoline Synthetic DS 0W-30
Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5W-40
Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-40
Pennzoil Synthetic European Formulation 5W-40
Q8 Formula Excel 5W-40
Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formulation 5W-40
Schaeffer Micron Moly 10W-40
Shell Helix Plus S 5W-40 (Mercedes-Benz)
Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40, 5W-40
Sunoco Synturo Gold 5W-40
Total FINA First 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Valvoline DuraBlend MXL 5W-40

229.5 (This is backward compatible with 229.3)

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30 (USA)
Elf Excellium 229.5 5W-30
FormulaShell Ultra AB 5W-30
Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL MB 5W-30
Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40 (USA)
Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (USA)
Shell Helix Ultra 229.5
Total Quartz 229.5 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower 5W-40

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tweex: 8:45am On May 13, 2011
Hi Trac, can you confirm the the chemical compounds that differ the mercedes recommended coolant fluid from the EVIL green coolants. I can just get something off the shelf based on that info. The most common brand of coolants in this part of the world are abro and holts. No prestone and zerex.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 8:59am On May 13, 2011
tweex:

Hi Trac, can you confirm the the chemical compounds that differ the mercedes recommended coolant fluid from the EVIL green coolants. I can just get something off the shelf based on that info. The most common brand of coolants in this part of the world are abro and holts. No prestone and zerex.

I could remember a few years ago and could state it in detail and even the colours. All I can think about is silicate and non-silicate but that doesn't answer your question. If you wouldn't mind, give me a few days. I will look for it over the weekend.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 10:52am On May 13, 2011
wrt, my earlier mpg I shared last week,

I think I would do better after the thermostat change, I have done 150miles already and the pin is around the 3/4 mark, this wasnt so before now,

Note, during fill up, I always stop at the first click, (I understand over-filling does affect the guage), I hope to fill up this wkd the calculate my mpg,

saving over 500 naira on fuel weekly is smthn to be considered I must say,

WHATS UR MPG grin grin grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 7:35am On May 14, 2011
This are images taken at the store.  They vary in specifications.  Avoid RP if you choose the extended drain interval.  You will have crystals. You are best to avoid it. It is overpriced and offers no benefit.  As for MB's, all but the 0w-40 meet the minimum requirements.  As shown, 10w-40 tends towards a generic synthetic and not worth your money for the purchase purpose.  I believe the message is conveyed.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 8:14am On May 14, 2011
kuntash:

wrt,  my earlier mpg I shared last week,

I think I would do better after the thermostat change,  I have done 150miles already and the pin is around the 3/4 mark, this wasnt so before now,

Note, during fill up, I always stop at the first click,  (I understand over-filling does affect the guage),  I hope to fill up this wkd the calculate my mpg,

saving over 500 naira on fuel weekly is smthn to be considered I must say,

WHATS your MPG  grin grin grin

When you replace your oil to the right grade and spec, you will have no parasitic loss that is outside factory normal.  The car burns the best at operating temperature. 

I don't know what my gas mileage is but my gas economy is good  for the sizes of engines (5, 6 and 8 Cyl).  Gas mileage is not my priority but it has to be acceptable. As a matter of fact, none are heavy on gas.  I work on my own cars and cannot afford a car with poor economy.  Gasoline is $4.36 a gallon and you need 18.5 for a tank of gas for each of them. In addition to that, I'm a very picky person, so I will know when it isn't running right.  With the Benzes, the best of my mileage is at 80 miles and higher.  I believe this is due to the tall gearings.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:55am On May 16, 2011
Thanks TRAC for the detailed pics, however I doubt if I can find any of such oils here aside the regular mobil-1,
Also in a bid to getting the correct oil spec, I went out over the wkd to look for the oil grade and the coolant.

I was able to get the proline engine oil, 10w-40, and its 5litres, I intend to use it for my next oil change.

on the Coolant, its almost impossible as I searched and asked most of the marketers, non could really identify the right one, they all had , the green coolants and the red one by ABRO & HOLTS, HOLTS=green; ABRO=red or green.

so when one cannot find the correct coolant spec, what would be the best alternative? I current have the HOLTS as my cooling liquid and worried cos of what you and many say could be the doom associated with it. undecided undecided sad sad
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 8:18am On May 16, 2011
@ Tweex

What you will be looking for will be HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) or Hybrid OAT. It should have little or no silicates, absolutely no phosphate but the availability of benzoate. In others, benzoate with little to no silicate and no phosphate. It is also termed as the silicate-no phosphate formula or G05.

Look at the article. It covers MB's 1990 to date. In my opinion, I believe you'll benefit a lot more from the article than what you already know.

If you can't find the anti-freeze where you are, you may want to get a bunch of people that share the same demand and order in bulk (may not be a bad idea, after-all).

All the best.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 8:38am On May 16, 2011
kuntash:

Thanks TRAC for the detailed pics, however I doubt if I can find any of such oils here aside the regular mobil-1,
Also in a bid to getting the correct oil spec, I went out over the wkd to look for the oil grade and the coolant.

I was able to get the proline engine oil, 10w-40, and its 5litres, I intend to use it for my next oil change.

on the Coolant, its almost impossible as I searched and asked most of the marketers, non could really identify the right one, they all had , the green coolants and the red one by ABRO & HOLTS, HOLTS=green; ABRO=red or green.

so when one cannot find the correct coolant spec, what would be the best alternative? I current have the HOLTS as my cooling liquid and worried cos of what you and many say could be the doom associated with it. undecided undecided sad sad

No problem. I presented the alternatives because I felt M1 is too expensive for the price you quoted.

I am totally unaware of Abro product (as you have mentioned). As a matter of fact, I have never heard of them. If you look in the above thread, I attached an MB newsletter. All the information you want is on there. If you don't find a HOAT, look for a coolant without phosphate and low silicate. This is to lubricate the water pump. You will only have to change the fluid as often as you can. Also, the mixing proportion. I don't know what's best where you live. More water means more cooling. I personally tend to favour 35% coolant and 65% water. Your issue is not pressing at this point. You may stumble upon a better coolant than what you have soon. Nairaland is importing cars for sale. I don't think it might be wrong to exploit that. Someone would export some if an artificial demand can be made. Right now, you are only two. If people can educate themselves wrongly on NL and it then becomes a fad or number 1 choice, how much more having to have a person order in bulk and have it shipped as they bring in vehicles (maybe it isn't as easy as I am saying it).

You shouldn't panic. The fluid is wrong but you won't be going the next 100,000 miles on it. It is interim. Look at the newsletter that I attached in my previous post. You will have to look for a Hybrid OAT of HOAT coolant. It will have no phosphate.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kabukabu50(m): 3:28pm On May 16, 2011
Trac:

When you replace your oil to the right grade and spec, you will have no parasitic loss that is outside factory normal. The car burns the best at operating temperature.

I don't know what my gas mileage is but my gas economy is good for the sizes of engines (5, 6 and 8 Cyl). Gas mileage is not my priority but it has to be acceptable. As a matter of fact, none are heavy on gas. I work on my own cars and cannot afford a car with poor economy. Gasoline is $4.36 a gallon and you need 18.5 for a tank of gas for each of them. In addition to that, I'm a very picky person, so I will know when it isn't running right. With the Benzes, the best of my mileage is at 80 miles and higher. I believe this is due to the tall gearings.

Hey Trac,
What do you think of using Brad Penn 20W50 Partial synthetic racing oil?Its what my tech uses when I get oil changed,he says its low in the sulphites and he uses it in all the Mercs he works on.For a w124 M104 engine.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 5:04pm On May 16, 2011
kabukabu50:

Hey Trac,
What do you think of using Brad Penn 20W50 Partial synthetic racing oil?Its what my tech uses when I get oil changed,he says its low in the sulphites and he uses it in all the Mercs he works on.For a w124 M104 engine.

You don't get any benefit using racing oils and the oil weight is wrong. The dipsticks will always tell you the right weight. However, the type of oil doesn't matter because the engine was designed around straight dinosour oil. However, every other (transmission etc) uses synthetic. M104 is one of the softest engines MB has ever built (9500 miles service interval) and one of the durable engines in the last 50 years.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Mclusho(m): 9:53pm On May 16, 2011
I've used 3benz in d past 10 yrs.First a 200 flat boot then a 300vboot then bought a 230 flat boot. The 300 is still my choice any day buh the 230 is my baby cos d acceleration seems too much 4d car. My friends wit hondas also love it. Right nw i want to go 4a C320, Any thots on price nd probs
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:39am On May 19, 2011
I like that car, but wouldnt know the cons, but its a Benz anyways grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by chyndorek: 8:50am On May 19, 2011
Hello guys, am planning of buying 1999 mercedes e class, some
mechanics said i should never go near 6 cylinders that 4
cylinders are better. I have a choice of e200 that is 4 cylinders
and e240 or e320 that is 6cylinders. Please advise me
considering i do more of city driving.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:53am On May 19, 2011
when u poorly manage a four cylinder of any car, it would mess u up as well,

lately many people go for 6-cylinder cars, the reason I think is ,, u seem to drive effortlessly , u feel the engine is working optimally with little force as opposed to 4-cylinder.

forget those mai mai comments by some mechanics, if they have no competence in repairing a 6-cylinder engine, they should speak up rather than condemning it, if I have my way, I would replace my 4-cylinder with a straight 6-cylinder engine,

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by chyndorek: 3:37pm On May 19, 2011
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:03am On May 20, 2011
chyndorek:

when u poorly manage a four cylinder of any car, it would mess u up as well,

lately many people go for 6-cylinder cars, the reason I think is ,, u seem to drive effortlessly , u feel the engine is working optimally with little force as opposed to 4-cylinder.

forget those mai mai comments by some mechanics, if they have no competence in repairing a 6-cylinder engine, they should speak up rather than condemning it, if I have my way, I would replace my 4-cylinder with a straight 6-cylinder engine,

From ur response its like you are already considering what ur mechanics said, just be wise, good luck
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:04am On May 20, 2011
I don't know why people made a thread for V-boots, and C250's, let's up the stakes a little wink

2012 Mercedes Benz CLS 550, under the hood this beast runs a 402-HP twin-turbo V8 engine with 443 lb-ft of torque.

Base price, $71,300, (about N10,500,000)

[img]http://www.classyauto.com/image_large.php?image_id=316950[/img]

I don't need a reason :p
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 8:26am On May 20, 2011
muztapha:

I don't know why people made a thread for V-boots, and C250's,)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish I understood u there,

nice pics though,  the front view resembles the R - series
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by SleekReek(m): 5:51pm On May 20, 2011
Trac i need your advice,i'm about to buy a Benz for he first time,i'm trying to decide between a 2005 Benz C230 Kompressor engine 1.8 litres 4 cylinders or the 2006 Benz C350 Luxury sedan,can you advice on which is better and why?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by chyndorek: 7:38am On May 22, 2011
Hello guys, can i fix HID Bulbs and navigation screen on my 1998 mercedes e200 (beast)?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by emyworld: 1:27pm On May 24, 2011
Please house, i need to you to give me feedback on the C class below. I want to buy it. Please Siena and kuntash reply also. i need info on the fuel economy and engine.

Mercedes-Benz C230 Elegance Automatic 1998 Black: PP-HF-26 CREAM LEATHER INTERIOR
Chassis Number: WDB2020231F484942
Color: Metallic Black
Weight: 1335Kg
Model: 1998

Power: 110 kW / 150 HP
Emissions Sticker:4 (Green)
Fuel consumption combined: ca 9.4 l/100km
Fuel consumption (urban):ca 13.1 l/100km
Fuel consumption (extra-urban):ca 7.2 l/100km
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 1:29pm On May 24, 2011
^^^ bros how much are they offering you,

its quite an excellent ride, I am currently considering the C280
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by emyworld: 2:14pm On May 24, 2011
they are asking for 1.250m, i have not negotiated yet. you said its excellent? please in which areas did you look at?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.