Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,271 members, 7,829,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? (1265 Views)

How To Treat A Lady Right / How Do One Actually Treat A Lady Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by 9baby: 5:40am On Sep 26, 2010
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by ElRazur: 5:58am On Sep 26, 2010
I think only you can be the captain of your life. My point? It is you that is dating this guy and not your mum. I am not so sure how your mum can then know him better. or predict the future. Also, what your mum is talking about is more or less relationship of others, it do not mean that yours will follow the same path.

It may be worth adding that equally, there are ton of successful marriages and relationship (that are probably similar to yours) that worked out, or is still working out.

EDIT
I won't say your mum is wrong but her statement is not always true.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by InkedNerd(f): 6:21am On Sep 26, 2010
ElRazur has a point. Only you can decide what your future will be with this man. You shouldn't let your mother's horror stories be the deciding factor on whether or not you want a future with this man. Follow your heart, not your mother's tongue otherwise you may be left asking yourself "What if?"
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 26, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

ElRazur has a point. Only you can decide what your future will be with this man. You shouldn't let your mother's horror stories be the deciding factor on whether or not you want a future with this man. Follow your heart, not your mother's tongue otherwise you may be left asking yourself "What if?"

I beg to disagree. You are getting married to a foreigner, whether Nigerian or zombie, as long as you don't share the same cultural and moral values, conflicts will always be.

Use your head, analyze and think twice. Even though I higly doubt you can, considering how in love you are.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by InkedNerd(f): 7:10am On Sep 26, 2010
michelin89:

I beg to disagree. You are getting married to a foreigner, whether Nigerian or zombie, as long as you don't share the same cultural and moral values, conflicts will always be.

Use your head, analyze and think twice. Even though I higly doubt you can, considering how in love you are.

I understand what you're saying but ultimately it is up to her decide. There are many couples who don't share the same cultural and moral values and still manage to make it work. For example, my mother has a Jewish co-worker who is married to a Muslim man. When they first wanted to get married, the Jewish woman's mother gave the same warning as the poster's mother. In the end, my mother's co-worker followed her heart and went with her gut despite what her mother had told her and till this day they are still married. By the way, the mother of the Muslim man was against the relationship/marriage as well. Unfortunately, for her, she passed away before she could see what their relationship had grown to be.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by madlady(f): 7:15am On Sep 26, 2010
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by omega25red(m): 7:20am On Sep 26, 2010
poster

your old lady is wrong because there are no garuntees in life you can marry your next door neighbor and who knows if it will last forever. you just have to make sure you both communicate with each other,  make a lot of effort to learn about each others cultural differences and go from there.

i think bringing your question here may be a bad idea. though there are a lot of sensible folks on this site, but there are mostly jaded or immature individuals who will give you shitty answers regarding your question so be careful with the responses you take to heart.

best
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by Rocktation(f): 7:35am On Sep 26, 2010
She's wrong. A good husband is good, irrespective of his origin. I'm scared of americans just like you're scared of my people now, but that doesn't mean that i won't take my chances with anybody i want. I advice that you take yours too. Life's full of uncertainties anyways.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by 9baby: 4:45pm On Sep 26, 2010
Thanks a bunch for ur comments y'all. i think i get some points from your responses,
some quiet helpful and has got me thinking too. My old lady cant really change my
feelings for this guy, but with marriage in the talk now i am considering giving
a thought to it.

I understand it is ultimately my decision in the end, but i just want to explore
what may lie ahead if i eventually say "i do" to my prince-charming.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by MOBO444(f): 3:53pm On Sep 27, 2010
My sister Nigeria men are GOLD and SILVER, they will treat you right and you wont regret, i said so.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by tpiah: 7:03pm On Sep 27, 2010
you come on a public forum disrespecting your mother and inviting others to do the same, and you're wondering if nigerian men are your problem?

i doubt you're female btw. Women generally dont call their mums old lady. That's a male thing like when they refer to their dads as old man, etc.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by harakiri(m): 7:48pm On Sep 27, 2010
9baby:

Hi y'all, been with this dude for  a few years now, love him to death, i believe he luvs me 2.
The dude is Nigerian. been talking about marriage, n i will  marry him if he asked me 2.
My old lady thinks, am out of line. she says there is no way this dude will stick with me till "death do us part".

she says, Nigerians only marry Nigerian. then she list these tons of p'ple she knows, who've been
married to Nigerians and are no more together. she emphasizes on this lady, she says ran away from
eminent doom from her Nigerian husband in Nigeria, after 8 kids.  Am not Nigerian, but love the country.[b]

Y'all plz help me out. does what my old lady says, have any germ of truth?[/b]

You say your mother thinks you are out of line because the dude cannot stick with you till death "do you part".Okay, that's cool. . .

How many married couples in your country stay together till death do them part? Are you not the ones who have the most ridiculous-skyrocketing rates of divorce? Are you people not the most seXxXually perverse people on the planet who engage in Player parties and all sorts of banal relationships all in the name of "civilized freedoms"? How many marriages in your country survive beyond 5 years? We Africans (or Nigerians) might be a lil backward in development but we have values (something that is obviously strange to your people). Our women are usually best behaved in their husband's homes here but the moment they relocate overseas, they imitate what they see there and a once happy home becomes broken in less than 12 months.

Don't come here sticking your scrawny nose talking crap about Nigerian men. It will NOT be tolerated. I'm pretty sure if i went on one of your forums and typed the sort of trash you posted here, i would be made the butt of jokes and not taken seriously. Be warned! ! !

End of!
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by Macgreat(m): 8:02pm On Sep 27, 2010
Love and treat him as you want him to treat you.

The day you start disrespecting him, the day you start regretting ever knowing him.

Nigeria Men HATE disrespect with Passion.

Love, care and respect him and you will live together "forever" grin
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by Macgreat(m): 8:05pm On Sep 27, 2010
harakiri:

You say your mother thinks you are out of line because the dude cannot stick with you till death "do you part".Okay, that's cool. . .

How many married couples in your country stay together till death do them part? Are you not the ones who have the most ridiculous-skyrocketing rates of divorce? Are you people not the most seXxXually perverse people on the planet who engage in Player parties and all sorts of banal relationships all in the name of "civilized freedoms"? How many marriages in your country survive beyond 5 years? We Africans (or Nigerians) might be a lil backward in development but we have values (something that is obviously strange to your people). Our women are usually best behaved in their husband's homes here but the moment they relocate overseas, they imitate what they see there and a once happy home becomes broken in less than 12 months.

Don't come here sticking your scrawny nose talking crap about Nigerian men. It will NOT be tolerated. I'm pretty sure if i went on one of your forums and typed the sort of trash you posted here, i would be made the butt of jokes and not taken seriously. Be warned! ! !

End of!

Awww!. . . Harsh.

Don't you have a "Radiator" or something  grin

You dey hot! try cool down small grin
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by 9baby: 1:38am On Sep 28, 2010

End of!
OMG! relax son, and calm down, if some naughty woman pissed you off, sought it out with her.
It is too obvious dude, you are taking this too personal. Gushh,
And where the hell do you think i am from?

i dislike MEN who sound like this, what is your prob.?
If you aint sure who to direct  your sick lecture at,
Just dont respond. wtf. Some weakly trying to be all man on here. lmao.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by 9baby: 1:45am On Sep 28, 2010
you come on a public forum disrespecting your mother and inviting others to do the same, and you're wondering if nigerian men are your problem? Huh

i doubt you're female btw. Women generally dont call their mums old lady. That's a male thing like when they refer to their dads as old man, etc.

Amazing how people are just so stupid, when will some of you learn to shut up, when you have nothing to say?
If you do not understand the question, dont answer, simple.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by queeneve: 2:05am On Sep 28, 2010

People in USA said the very exact same thing about Nigerian men, Althought I met a few AZZHOLE NIGERIANS male and female, HOWEVER, I have met some WONDERFUL NIGERIAN people and they are awesome and family oriented! I have a blast with my Nigerian friends and family members REGARDLESS WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT NIGERIANS,

They have said these things about Nigerians THAT COULD BE OR COULD NOT BE TRUE,

Green card lovers
money hungry
HIV infected
Machete murderers
Child molesters/rapists
the men are women beaters
treat women as sex slaves and servants
robbers and thieves
children breeders
hut mongers
dirty and eat anything

These are a microsopic list of what they said about Nigerian people and I still dated my husband regardless because my husband proven to be OPPOSITE of what the people said. You have to select whom you want to be happy with, YOUR FAMILY OR THE MAN OF YOUR DREAM,

My husband treats me like QUEEN, and I have said many time there are GOOD PEOPLE and BAD people all over the WORLD not just Nigeria,

Nigeria have a very bad reputation in USA and it sad, the scammers is fuggin IT UP FOR THE GOOD ONES,
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by 1102(m): 2:11am On Sep 28, 2010
^^^

FURRY AZZ U ARE SO RIGHT ON THIS ONE,

NOT JUST THE USA BUT THE ENTIRE WORLD,

9JA ALWAYS LEAD THE WAY FOR NEGATIVE THINGS!
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by 9baby: 2:33am On Sep 28, 2010
@queeneve
I understand you completely, which is why i have been with my bf for years now. What you say is VERY true. I dated men from my own country and they turned out to be just what i do not want in a man. My current bf is EVERYTHING i desire in a man. i think i know what i am up to. Yours is the kind of response i was greatly looking forward to. Thanks for being so positive.
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by queeneve: 4:15am On Sep 28, 2010
You welcome suga!

(sticking tongue out at Furry azz)
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by ibabalol: 6:59pm On Oct 12, 2010
9baby:

@queeneve
I understand you completely, which is why i have been with my bf for years now. What you say is VERY true. I dated   men from my own country and they turned out to be just what i do not want in a man. My current bf is EVERYTHING i desire in a man. i think i  know what i am up to. Yours is the kind of response i was greatly looking forward to. Thanks for being so positive.

would you mind posting a pic lets see what you mean
Re: Is My Old Lady Right About Nigeian Men? by Nobody: 5:10am On Oct 13, 2010
Op you mean-------------->Your dude or your lover? undecided

(1) (Reply)

A Free T-shirt For Your Girlfriend / What Does This Babe Want? / I Am Allergic To Wowor Babes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.