Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,104 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! (2379 Views)

OBJ Wanted A Buhari/Okonjo-Iweala Ticket In 2011 Polls-- El Rufai. / List Of States With Electoral Malpractices In 2011 Polls - Is Your State Among? / Ojukwu Backs Babangida For 2011 Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by wales(m): 6:36am On Sep 27, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan has urged US President Barrack Obama, to shelve his proposed visit to Nigeria this year and come in 2011 instead, to enable him celebrate with the country after the credible polls, the Nigerian Ambassador to US, Ade Adefuye, has aid.

He said though President Jonathan was very much interested in Obama’s visit at anytime he wishes, he, however, feels strongly that his visit in an election year could be misinterpreted by opponents to mean that his coming will influence the direction of the elections in Jonathan’s favour.

Jonathan had shortly on arrival in New York for the 65th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), engaged in diplomatic talks with top officials of the US government, including President Obama and Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton.

First to meet with Jonathan in a closed door session, arranged by the Nigerian Embassy in the US headed by Adefuye, at the instance of the Office of the Secretary of State, was Ms Clinton and then later, President Obama, moments after a dinner for visiting heads of government.

Adefuye told newsmen that President Jonathan feels Obama’s visit to Nigeria now, few months to our elections could send wrong signals to political opponents that he was coming to influence the election in his favour, “hence, we don’t want him (Obama) to come now, and we have informed the US government to this effect.”
The envoy, however, disclosed that President Obama believes in Nigeria’s ability to conduct credible elections next year under the leadership of President Jonathan and that the Nigerian government will welcome him to celebrate the outcome of what would become the best election ever held on African soil come 2011.

“As you know, there is no doubt whatsoever on the ability of our President to conduct free and fair elections next year, the whole world has seen his unequivocal, but unquantifiable commitment, so we want the President of US and the rest of the world to join us to celebrate what would become the freest election on African soil”, he said.

Obama had visited some selected African countries including Ghana, Nigeria’s neighbour and both the US government and the administration of the late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua were heavily criticised by analysts.
Meanwhile, the fears raised by former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. John Campbell, in his controversial two-part article on Nigeria, again came to haunt the Presidency last week as Jonathan rounded off yet another visit to the US. Daily Sun sources in New York gathered that the US is still insisting that the Presidency do its groundwork on the Jonathan candidacy before pushing it any further.

This position, Daily Sun gathered, came up at a private meeting between a select crop of senior US officials and their Nigerian counterparts. The US officials were again said to have demanded to be further educated on the economic, political and security implications of the Jonathan candidacy, insisting Jonathan should again “rethink” the decision to contest. “While it would amount to interfering in the domestic affairs of Nigeria, and while not asking the President not to contest, the US authorities are said to think it would be in the interest of Nigeria and her allies that the push to get Jonathan stand election is properly thought over.

“They do not want to appear to be interfering in Nigeria, but they also do not want anything that would adversely affect the unity and stability of the country.” According to the source, “it is obvious that the US government is taking the fears and suggestions of Ambassador Campbell more seriously than Nigerians seem to think. Although the US authorities are believed not to have hidden their preference for the Jonathan candidacy, they are said to be worried by the utterances and feelers emerging from the Northern parts of the country over the decision to dump the zoning arrangement. They said the repercussions might be too grave for Jonathan to handle if the threats come true.

While Washington is said to still be more willing to wager on Jonathan than any of the known front-runners, the source said the US would not mind a situation where a compromise candidate, whose candidacy would not be so divisive, emerges. Incidentally, the source told Daily Sun, “there is no guarantee yet that even another Northern candidate would not be just as divisive as Jonathan’s candidacy,”

The problem with the US people, the source said, “is that they still view Nigeria as a country rigidly divided along the lines of Christian South and Moslem North, so everything about Nigeria, must fit into this stereotype. They are not easily swayed by the fact that there is more to Nigeria than that pre-determined mindset. They don’t know that there are many supporters of Jonathan in the North and that there are some Southerners (Christians and Moslems) who do no want anything to do with the Jonathan candidacy.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/sept/27/national-27-09-2010-002.htm

Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by anonimi: 12:10pm On Sep 27, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 27, 2010
Has he won the election Or what rubbish is he saying ?
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by scopusng(m): 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2010
The fool has said it already that come what may next yr Jonathan will and must win the presidential election. hmmmmmm.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2010
scopusng:

The fool has said it already that come what may next yr Jonathan will and must win the presidential election. hmmmmmm.
what if Ribadu now wins ?
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by usbcable(m): 1:20pm On Sep 27, 2010
scopusng:

haba oga scopusng,
nothing in the article said he has already won the primaries talkless of the election.
but I can see the article saying GEJ wants OBAMA to come next year so as not to give the impression that his(BHO) visit swayed the election in his favor.
It can be interpreted as a ''sure banker'' comment but at thesame time it may just be a show of confidence in the forthcoming election.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by scopusng(m): 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2010
politicians language , same stories always, we know wetin dey, abi na lie? Abeg, i no fit shout jare,
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Echidime(m): 2:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
I heard from reliable sources, that Jonathan is doing all these to stop IBB,atiku and co from aso rock, as he suport Ribadu for president to complet the 8 years of the north,then the world will glorify him for handing over to opposition party and also to the north without rigging election.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by kelvin(m): 3:00pm On Sep 27, 2010
I don't think he has said anything about winning yet. President Obama's visit to coincide with successful credible elections can be before the swearing-in if the winners. I think that was what President Jonathan intended. Only a stupid ruler will miss an opportunity to host the US president in his tenure.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by kelvin(m): 3:07pm On Sep 27, 2010
I heard from reliable sources, that Jonathan is doing all these to stop IBB,atiku and co from aso rock, as he suport Ribadu for president to complet the 8 years of the north,then the world will glorify him for handing over to opposition party and also to the north without rigging election.

What source?
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by habumaks(m): 5:28pm On Sep 27, 2010
I have read the article and not too comfortable with this:

"President Goodluck Jonathan has urged US President Barrack Obama, to shelve his proposed visit to Nigeria this year and come in 2011 instead, to enable him celebrate with the country after the credible polls"

This man is very confident about winning this election next year. I hope the rigging process have not began already? Otherwise what president will have the opportunity to host US President and gamble it till after the next election which he himself is contesting?

He said he doesn't want the visit to send a wrong message to opponents. I am not an opponent but my senses are receiving a message and i hope its a wrong message sha.

ust my 2cent.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Goddex: 6:03pm On Sep 27, 2010
Sun Newspaper is turning to another sahara reporters.
They are Pro Atiku and bias against GEJ.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by gregg2: 6:17pm On Sep 27, 2010
Goddex:

My dear I thought I was alone noticing the rubbish from them.
If it is not North Vs Jonathan, it is Govs deceiving Jonathan or US warns
Jonathan not to contest or Zoning Zoning Zoning Zoning.
They are using that paper to polarize Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by ezegold4we: 6:21pm On Sep 27, 2010
with this statement from jonathan,it means the election has already been concluded b4 contesting it.all is now left for mr.jega,the inec chairman to either take this statement serious or allow the pdp to have their way again,but i dont see jonathan winning 2011 election,it is only rigging that will make him win,but the north are not fools,he can muscle the pdp govrnors to get the party's ticket,but i dont see him manupulating the entire north to rigg the election.

another game plan for jonathan is to rigg the election in his favour,then use the 28 pdp gov's as a settlement for the opposition,in this case,the whole world will see the election as being free and fair,and thats why the criminal pdp gov's r unwilling to support him because they know the implication.

come 2011,pdp will still control the centre but with 7 to 10 states for gov's,then opposition parties will share the remaining states,with this plan,the election is already done.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 27, 2010
Goddex:

Saharareporters is not pro Atiku or anti-GEJ

They simply report all raw news that no one else wants to report.

When Ima Niboro was busy feeding Saharareporters news about the Yar'adua gaffes in those Yar'adua last months, he did not know the tides will turn someday and his boss will become the default target as he will now be President.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by folarinbas: 8:51pm On Sep 27, 2010
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Na only God fit help ussssssssssss ooooooo.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Ruq: 10:21pm On Sep 27, 2010
Do we fucking need Obama here! Before our country we be ok? If he his Then i think He should visit all countries if is visit is a sign of development. Whack!
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Echidime(m): 6:28am On Sep 28, 2010
If i have my way, i will advice all Ndigbo to stay clear from 2011 election and adopt sidon dey look attitude and watch south south, west and North kill themselves because of 2011 election,because these are the same people who ganged up during the civil war and killed, seized and distroyed Ndigbo Properties.

Each time the west and North want to deny Ndigbo their right in Nigeria, they will always use the South South man, Ken Saro Wiwa played a script written by Awolowo then as young commissioner, and he paid dearly for it after so many years during Abacha's regime,God is alive and posterity will always Judge all Igbo haters, weather living or dead, no matter how long it takes.

Today it is Jonathan playing a well written script handed over to him by Obasanjo, because he hates Ndigbo with passion.

All this issue of zoning or no zoning is a calculated game plan by Obasanjo to stop an Igboman from becoming a president in 2015, but i want to inform all those who cares to listen that there may not be nation called Nigeria after 2011 if care is not taking, God is still Alive.

Obasanjo is also, saying by using Jonathan, since Nigerians did not give me third term, let me create confusion all over Nigeria, using zoning.

I heard that some people are saying IBB will not be allowed to campaign in any Yoruba speaking states, but what if the Hausa's say, Jonathan will not be allowed to campaign in any Hausa speaking states, and the Igbo's say IBB, Jonathan, Atiku etc, don't come to any Igbo speaking states to campaign what will happen then? we are ALL playing with fire.

I think what we need in Nigeria today is a honest a patriotic leader, someone that respect and honor agreement, no matter who the agreement favors, an Agreement is a Covenant and the Covenant you keep will always protect you.

This is the reason why, world all over, no persons respects Nigerians, because what we say in the morning is not what we say in Night, how can respected man, those who spend tax payers money in the name of fighting corruption, cannot even respect a simple arrangement they sat down and agreed upon, it a shame, we are just making our self fools in the eyes on the international community and we want them to take us serious when talk?

For me i see all this happens as a big opportunity for the opposition parties to gain ground and vote PDP out of power, if only there are opposition parties in Nigeria.

May God help us all.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Ruq: 7:42am On Sep 28, 2010
@Echidime stop prattling your only pain is about the igbo tribe,so are you saying the man that will save Nigeria has to be an igbo man? That's bullshit! You really made no point with your epistle.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Ruq: 7:42am On Sep 28, 2010
@Echidime stop prattling your only pain is about the igbo tribe,so are you saying the man that will save Nigeria has to be an igbo man? That's bullshit! You really made no point with your epistle.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by manosteel(m): 9:16am On Sep 28, 2010
A sleeping Jonathan is 100% better than corrupt IBB and Atiku.
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 28, 2010
Echidime:

[s]
If i have my way, i will advice all Ndigbo to stay clear from 2011 election and adopt sidon dey look attitude and watch south south, west and North kill themselves because of 2011 election,because these are the same people who ganged up during the civil war and killed, seized and distroyed Ndigbo Properties.

Each time the west and North want to deny Ndigbo their right in Nigeria, they will always use the South South man, Ken Saro Wiwa played a script written by Awolowo then as young commissioner, and he paid dearly for it after so many years during Abacha's regime,God is alive and posterity will always Judge all Igbo haters, weather living or dead, no matter how long it takes.

Today it is Jonathan playing a well written script handed over to him by Obasanjo, because he hates Ndigbo with passion.

All this issue of zoning or no zoning is a calculated game plan by Obasanjo to stop an Igboman from becoming a president in 2015, but i want to inform all those who cares to listen that there may not be nation called Nigeria after 2011 if care is not taking, God is still Alive.

Obasanjo is also, saying by using Jonathan, since Nigerians did not give me third term, let me create confusion all over Nigeria, using zoning.

I heard that some people are saying IBB will not be allowed to campaign in any Yoruba speaking states, but what if the Hausa's say, Jonathan will not be allowed to campaign in any Hausa speaking states, and the Igbo's say IBB, Jonathan, Atiku etc, don't come to any Igbo speaking states to campaign what will happen then? we are ALL playing with fire.

I think what we need in Nigeria today is a honest a patriotic leader, someone that respect and honor agreement, no matter who the agreement favors, an Agreement is a Covenant and the Covenant you keep will always protect you.

This is the reason why, world all over, no persons respects Nigerians, because what we say in the morning is not what we say in Night, how can respected man, those who spend tax payers money in the name of fighting corruption, cannot even respect a simple arrangement they sat down and agreed upon, it a shame, we are just making our self fools in the eyes on the international community and we want them to take us serious when talk?

For me i see all this happens as a big opportunity for the opposition parties to gain ground and vote PDP out of power, if only there are opposition parties in Nigeria.

May God help us all.
[/s]Is this one ok ?
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Echidime(m): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2010
@Bluetooth AND Ruq:

Both of you are still sleeping,one day you will wake up from your slumber
Re: Jonathan Wants Obama’s Visit To Coincide With 2011 Polls’ Success ! by Ruq: 12:22pm On Sep 28, 2010
And you that's Awake tell me what you're seeing? Even while sleeping i reason! So cut out that slumber crap.

(1) (Reply)

James Ibori's Wife, Theresa, Sentenced To 5 Years In Uk Court! / Halliburton May Pay $500m To Avert Cheney’s Trial / I Am Open To Dailogue - Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.