Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,176 members, 7,849,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:27 AM

May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) (10957 Views)

Why Saraki Was In Our Office – EFCC / See How Saraki Was Received As He Arrives Iiorin Despite His Defeat(photos) / The Cultists Saraki Was Accused Of Sponsoring, Paraded By Police (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by MetaPhysical: 5:48am On May 31, 2019
Dont mind them jare. I doubt this shyyte came from VP, this is handiwork of mischief bloggers running errand for Saraki.

The statutory provision is clear - the term of the Executive pair expires 4yrs after their swearing in but....their Oaths of Allegiance and Office remains valid and active until a new Oath is administered to mark beginning of new term. The Presidency never expires even though the tenure ends.

In other words, if for some reason on 28th of May we were attacked from outside by a warring force, then the Commander in Chief will declare emergency and the inauguration of 29th will be put on hold. Lets say it took a month to sort things and lift emergency.....So his 4yrs electoral term ended on 5/28 but he is renewing Oath on 6/30, the pair of Buhari/Osinbajo will remain the Presidency (Executive), not Saraki.

I dont know where this d0mb idea that Senate President can seize power from a lapse in 4yr electoral term come from. Quite insulting!
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by MetaPhysical: 5:57am On May 31, 2019
adekolaelect:
To me Sarakis position /seat too was vacant bcs his tenure too had expired the day the executive s tenures expired. Executive and legislators' have the same date of offices expiration.pls any meaningful correction or contribution is welcome .

No, not true!
Lets get this straight guys....the electoral term expires; the Oath remains active until it is re-administered....for continuation or for new occupant.

When a new Senate President takes Oath of Office, then Saraki's Oath becomes invalid.

1 Like

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by MetaPhysical: 10:50am On May 31, 2019
Babacele:
what does 135(1)d mean sir?

- death
- resignation
- incapacitation
- moral indictment
- crime conviction
- impeachment

....expiration of electoral term is not one of them.
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Starpro87(m): 11:10am On May 31, 2019
What a clueless innuendo by the VP? Why be apprehensive when you know Saraki is a nationalist? May be there are a lot you know ain't good enough about and with your government.
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by adekolaelect(m): 3:52pm On May 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:

No, not true!
Lets get this straight guys....the electoral term expires; the Oath remains active until it is re-administered....for continuation or for new occupant.

When a new Senate President takes Oath of Office, then Saraki's Oath becomes invalid.
OK thanks
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by FriendNG: 4:31pm On May 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Dont mind them jare. I doubt this shyyte came from VP, this is handiwork of mischief bloggers running errand for Saraki.

The statutory provision is clear - the term of the Executive pair expires 4yrs after their swearing in but....their Oaths of Allegiance and Office remains valid and active until a new Oath is administered to mark beginning of new term. The Presidency never expires even though the tenure ends.

In other words, if for some reason on 28th of May we were attacked from outside by a warring force, then the Commander in Chief will declare emergency and the inauguration of 29th will be put on hold. Lets say it took a month to sort things and lift emergency.....So his 4yrs electoral term ended on 5/28 but he is renewing Oath on 6/30, the pair of Buhari/Osinbajo will remain the Presidency (Executive), not Saraki.

I dont know where this d0mb idea that Senate President can seize power from a lapse in 4yr electoral term come from. Quite insulting!

Well it's on national TV, the professor of law make such statements.
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Babacele: 11:56pm On May 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:

- death - resignation - incapacitation - moral indictmentok - crime conviction - impeachment
....expiration of electoral term is not one of them.
OK sir.
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by coolitempa(f): 3:48am On Jun 01, 2019
BleedingPen:
Did you know that Senate President Bukola Saraki was “Acting President” of Nigeria for approximately 10 hours?.

Yes, constitutionally, President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s tenure elapsed midnight May 28, so from one minute past 12, May 29 till 10:30am when Buhari and Osinbajo were sworn-in for a second term, Nigeria had no President nor Vice President.

Igbere TV had reported that President Buhari and VP Osinbajo were sworn-in for a second term on Wednesday at a low-key event at the Eagle Square, Abuja.

Reacting, Osinbajo at a dinner organised in honour of President Buhari and himself, at the State House Banquet Hall, thanked Saraki for not taking advantage of the vacuum in power before the presidential inauguration.

He said: “Something interesting happened earlier today; I am a lawyer and a law teacher and I like to test and interrogate legal scenarios.

“At one minute past midnight today, the four-year term of the President and I ended by effluxion of time.

“So, from one minute past 12 of last night, May 29 to about 10:30 am when we were sworn in for a second term there was no President or Vice President.

“Interestingly nothing went wrong, all was okay; when such a situation arises, it is the Senate President who acts as President.

“So, when I arrived at Eagle Square this morning, some may have noticed that the Senate President and I were enjoying a joke.

“He said to me jokingly ‘You better be careful, you know I’m the acting President now’; so, we thank the Senate President for not doing anything funny.’’

Igbere TV State House correspondent observed that Buhari was conspicuously absent at the dinner held in his honour.

http://igberetvnews.com/728061/may-29-saraki-was-acting-president-for-10-hours-see-how/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, OAM4J

Nairalanders discussing nonsense.......when did igberetv become a source of information

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal High Court Upholds Ekwunife's Candidacy, Strikes Out Chukwuelue's Case / No Half Measures, Tinubu, Sell Refineries - Punch Editorial Board / A Re-run Election Is Imminent In R/s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.