Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? (2004 Views)

INEC Source Confirms Jonathan's Lead So Far / Jonathan lead Corruption :NIS Recruitment Tragedy Report Withheld / Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead This Naija? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by 9ijaMan: 11:49pm On Sep 29, 2010
Ehoi:

It takes balls to pull the rug from under the powerful fuel and power cartel that have held the country to ransom for decades. Suddenly there is no more scarcity of fuel, no more importation of fuel and all our refineries are working again. It takes guts and determination to bring about the sudden improvement of power which we currently enjoy. All these were done without fanfare. All these were done withing three months. I believe GEJ has what it takes to lead and he will do even more.

The problem i see here is that most nigerians are too used to a type of leadership. Many nigerians have grown up knowing only this kind of intimidating leadership that is a backdrop from the military era. The in your face and dictator kind of leadership: so when something different comes along, they believe its bad leadership.

Which part of dreamland do you reside in. Which power has improved? Abi no be the same 9ja wey all of us belong to? Talking about cartel, you must have been imagining a lot. It's only in 9ja that you'll find people praising government becos they perceive that fuel is readily available. Has the cost of transportation reduced? You comments smacks of someone who has little to say 'cos he's only ready to peddle half truths due to blind followership of a failed government.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 11:50pm On Sep 29, 2010
@df2006,
I don't deserve to be heard because I'm from Saraki's Kwara? Arguments can't get more more lugubrious. May I ask you a question? Should people of Ibadan not be listened to because Adedibu, barely literate, held the city to ransom for years and installed governors?
I am a proud Kwaran and I have spoken out against Saraki.

Your argument is only diversionary anyway, it doesn't invalidate any of the points I raised against GEJ in my ealier post.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Ehoi: 12:03am On Sep 30, 2010
oyb:

dude, don't say what u don't know - now one has to wonder if you're misinformed or just speaking untruths
I may be wrong maybe there is still some importation of fuel but that does not in anyway take away anything from the thrust of my post. The refineries are now working hence the wholesale importation of fuel has been reduced. Nevertheless, that is not the point. The main point is that there is no more fuel scarcity something you have not denied.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Ehoi: 12:10am On Sep 30, 2010
9ijaMan:

Which part of dreamland do you reside in. Which power has improved? Abi no be the same 9ja wey all of us belong to? Talking about cartel, you must have been imagining a lot. It's only in 9ja that you'll find people praising government becos they perceive that fuel is readily available. Has the cost of transportation reduced? You comments smacks of someone who has little to say 'cos he's only ready to peddle half truths due to blind followership of a failed government.
Maybe power has not improved in your specific area but in general, most people agree that power has improved.
You seem to indulge in hating. You were quick to claim power has not improve. But when it came to fuel scarcity, you are saying why should we praise someone for doing what he should be doing. I am not praising GEJ, just stating the fact. Something you seem to hate to hear. Is it too much to acknowledge the fact that he has solved fuel scarcity? Why bring the issue to cheaper transportation. Can you solve the fuel scarcity and bring about cheaper transportation in three months if you were the president?
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:13am On Sep 30, 2010
Jarus:

@df2006,
I don't deserve to be heard because I'm from Saraki's Kwara? Arguments can't get more more lugubrious. May I ask you a question? Should people of Ibadan not be listened to because Adedibu, barely literate, held the city to ransom for years and installed governors?

Your argument is only diversionary anyway, it doesn't invalidate any of the points I raised against GEJ in my ealier post.

was actually looking for you to tell you that, sorry it had to be on this thread, i have been telling all kawarans i know, that it is a damn shame to them, this is happening,  whether it happens in ibadan or any where it remains a damn shame to the people, you inclusive!!
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Beaf: 12:15am On Sep 30, 2010
There are so many vultures on this thread, preying on slap1's current state of insecurity.
The way most are going, you would think the problem of kidnapping suddenly arose during GEJ's leadership. You would think Imo has a wretched governor because of GEJ.
You wouldn't imagine that the problem has developed from years of rule by the critics preferred type of ruler.

The chief security officer of the state, is the governor. He has done little to sort the problem.
Security chiefs (not your usual area commanders) have been briefed and sent out by GEJ, both military and police units have been mobilised; for the first time in our history, an anti-terrorist unit has been let loose. What more do critics want, that GEJ should pick up an AK and head for Aba?
Even at the peak of Anini's extended reign of terror in 80's Benin, IBB never declared a state of emergency. So why is Jonathan expected to do that?

Looking at more difficult situations abroad, such as the September 11 attacks in the US; no state of emergency was declared even though the country had to live through an extended period of uncertainty. One has to ask why Nigerians are comforted by the display or application violence. Is is due to the trauma of long years of military rule? Why can other countries contain much worse security situations without breaking a sweat? My take on that is that we need councelling, exposure and reassurance.

critical thinking really needs to be taught in schools.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Ehoi: 12:19am On Sep 30, 2010
Jarus:

Nobody is asking for dictatorial leadership, what we are saying is that he needs to get on top of the situation, which he doesn't appear to be now. That is why some of us laugh when we heard the part of his declaration speech that says 'my message to kidnappers etc is that they should be ready for a fight, ' as if he was not the one in office in the unprecendent surge of kidnapping in the last 5 months.
Save his vendetta tendency, Obasanjo remains one of our best president so far. His full control of national affairs and firm stand is what Nigeria need. After the death of a 'slow motion' Yar'adua, we can't afford to have another 'baba go slow'. We need a leader that will be on top of his job.
What is your definition of getting on top of things? From the little am reading here, it seems not until he comes to the TV and say " I declare a state of emergency bla bla bla" before some of you will say he is doing something. The last i heard, the anti terrorist squad is already in abia state. These guys normally don't come out for anything. This is the first time they are coming out for issues like this.

With the gra gra of OBJ which you call a good leader, for 8 years, he could not use his intelligence to solve the fuel scarcity problem. Something GEJ did in two months. Did OBJ gra gra style stop the islamic terrorist in the north? Did it solve the niger delta issue? No it only made it worse.  Like i said, a generation of nigerians have grown up knowing only a certain kind of leadership and way of doing things. Anything that is outside that scope is frowned at.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 12:21am On Sep 30, 2010
df2006:

was actually looking for you to tell you that, sorry it had to be on this thread, i have been telling all kawarans i know, that it is a damn shame to them, this is happening,  whether it happens in ibadan or any where it remains a damn shame to the people, you inclusive!!
How can Jarus, or even his whole family, change what is happening in Kwara State? Is he the state's PDP chairman? Kindly tell us your state so we'd see how smooth its journey has been.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:25am On Sep 30, 2010
^^^^^abia state  grin grin grin grin
and saraki is a thousand families
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Ehoi: 12:25am On Sep 30, 2010
Beaf:

There are so many vultures on this thread, preying on slap1's current state of insecurity.
The way most are going, you would think the problem of kidnapping suddenly arose during GEJ's leadership. You would think Imo has a wretched governor because of GEJ.
You wouldn't imagine that the problem has developed from years of rule by the critics preferred type of ruler.

The chief security officer of the state, is the governor. He has done little to sort the problem.
Security chiefs (not your usual area commanders) have been briefed and sent out by GEJ, both military and police units have been mobilised; for the first time in our history, an anti-terrorist unit has been let loose. What more do critics want, that GEJ should pick up an AK and head for Aba?
Even at the peak of Anini's extended reign of terror in 80's Benin, IBB never declared a state of emergency. So why is Jonathan expected to do that?

Looking at more difficult situations abroad, such as the September 11 attacks in the US, no state of emergency was declared, even though the country had to live through an extended period of uncertainty. One has to ask why Nigerians are comforted by the display or application violence. Is is due to the trauma of long years of military rule? Why can other countries contain much worse security situations without breaking a sweat? My take on that is that we need councelling, exposure and reassurance.

critical thinking really needs to be taught in schools.
My brother you hit the nail on the head. You asked a very good question which i have bolded.
You see, the problem we have in nigeria is very great and almost impossible. A generation have grown up knowing black as white and white as black. These have to be delivered from mental slavery and have their mentality completely changed. Nigerians who are 35 year old and under have known only corruption all their life. When they see people trying to do things in a different way they get agitated. Yes the prolong military rule is is one of the main cause of the problem.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 12:46am On Sep 30, 2010
People are not craving for violence, they crave for peace. Amnesty calmed down the situation in Niger Delta then, why not apply same to Abia? And talking of violence, I believe some situations calls for it. Leading a nation is different from being in charge of a nursery school.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Ehoi: 12:51am On Sep 30, 2010
Amnesty is not going to stop armed robbers. What is happening is that armed robbers are now going into the arena of kidnapping because its more lucrative. The situation in the niger delta is completely different with a root cause.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 1:10am On Sep 30, 2010
Ehoi:

Amnesty is not going to stop armed robbers. What is happening is that armed robbers are now going into the arena of kidnapping because its more lucrative. The situation in the niger delta is completely different with a root cause.

It might interest, or rather suprize you, to learn that the root cause of both cases are not entirely different from each other.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Beaf: 1:17am On Sep 30, 2010
slap1:

People are not craving for violence, they crave for peace. Amnesty calmed down the situation in Niger Delta then, why not apply same to Abia? And talking of violence, I believe some situations calls for it. Leading a nation is different from being in charge of a nursery school.

How can people who kidnap innocent kids be given amnesty? This matter will only end with the death or capture of the gang leaders, no two ways. I 100% believe that is the breif the security agencies have been given.

I say Nigerians are comforted by the display or application violence, because we regularly calls for presicely that whenever there is a crisis. We have had people calling for a state of emergency in Abia, because their presence would somehow console the people. But all the army will do is hang around and mount road blocks. A close example of that is the presence of JTF in Delta state; despite their presence, armed robberies are still carried out. Why? Cos the army men are not trained to solve crimes or in any sort of policing. Tanks don't solve crimes.

The answer is crack policing. Lets see what the anti-terrorist squad can accomplish, it isn't a military problem. The kidnappers are mere gangsters, not troops that undermine Nigeria's security in a way that requires miltary confrontation.

Having said all of the above, I hope you are coping well and wish you all safety.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Gayigaskia(m): 2:06am On Sep 30, 2010
slap1:

Bullcrap, the Niger Deltan cause is somehow legitimate,. you can't compare it to these criminals, FG did not give amnesty twith Boko Haram, so therefore no amnesty for these bastards. Anyone who kidnap who ever should be put death simle as that.
;;'
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Akanbiedu(m): 9:49am On Sep 30, 2010
Jarus:

@df2006,

You don't have to speak against Saraki to satisfy people abeg. If the man is winning through the ballot and not rigging, whats the big deal there?

Its not funny people still don't understand democracy. If people think Saraki is not good enough, they should vote another person. Saraki is not even in the category of adedibus, we all know how adedibus win election. You are from Kwara, can you say the Saraki's have been winning by rigging?
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Jubilee9ja(f): 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2010
Tonight, Nigeria will finally have rest from every form of oppression. It's a new season already, It's Jubilee!

www.nigeriasomethingisabouttohappen..com
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by 9ijaMan: 6:32pm On Sep 30, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

You don't have to speak against Saraki to satisfy people abeg. If the man is winning through the ballot and not rigging, whats the big deal there?

Its not funny people still don't understand democracy. If people think Saraki is not good enough, they should vote another person. Saraki is not even in the category of adedibus, we all know how adedibus win election. You are from Kwara, can you say the Saraki's have been winning by rigging?

I wonder o! So we can as well say that Americans are shameless and silly people for having a Bush (Father) as president while his son Bush Junior was the governor of Texas. Or when Bush Junior (former Governor of Texas) became president and his brother Jeb was Governor in Florida. Na only bush family dey amongst over 250 million Americans?

The simple fact is that it's democracy. Morally Saraki may be wrong, but in a democratic setting Gbemi has the right to contest just as any other Kwaran who wants to. So all these noise about cursing a people because a single family is calling shots in the state does not arise in a real democracy.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by goodiz(m): 5:52pm On Oct 02, 2010
Gayigaskia:

Bullcrap, the Niger Deltan cause is somehow legitimate,. you can't compare it to these criminals, FG did not give amnesty twith Boko Haram, so therefore no amnesty for these bastards. Anyone who kidnap who ever should be put death simle as that.
;;'
By implication you mean the kidnappings and deaths caused by the Niger Delta militants are legitimate, right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Presents His Wife, Daughter And Son-in Law As Acn Candidates / Documentary: Nigerian Army Fighting During World War 2 / Alxmyr: Akeredolu cant Win Ondo State,they may Burn down Houses By Musiwa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.