Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,407 members, 7,812,203 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other (22495 Views)

Buhari Declines Assent To Five More Bills - Thisday Newspaper / President Buhari Declines Assent To NOSDRA Amendment Bill / Buhari Declines Assent To Corporate Manslaughter Bill, 3 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by easyhacq(m): 4:17pm On May 31, 2019
President Muhammadu Buhari has declined assent to a bill seeking the establishment of Nigeria Maritime University in Okerenkoko Delta State.

The decision was conveyed to the Senate in a letter on Thursday.

Mr Buhari stated the excessive proposed source of funding for the institution as the major reason for his decline.

“I am declining my assent to the bill because the funding provisions are grossly excessive and will disrupt the operation of a number of government agencies and institutions,” the letter reads.

Similarly, the president in another letter informed the lawmakers he would not assent to the Institute of Chartered Biochemist and Molecular Biologist Bill.

The letter reads, “Pursuant to Section 58 (4) of the 1999 constitution as amended, I hereby convey to the Senate my decision on 25th May 2019 to decline presidential assent to the Institute of Chartered Biochemist and Molecular Biologist Bill 2019. I am declining my assent to the bill because of:

a. There is already an existing chartered institute biochemist of Nigeria established pursuant to CAP 1(12) laws of the federation of Nigeria which has a similar mandate and function to the proposed Chartered Biochemist and Molecular Biologist

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/332499-buhari-declines-assent-to-maritime-university-bill-one-other.html

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 31, 2019
As usual

15 Likes

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by psucc(m): 4:37pm On May 31, 2019
Even in the next level?

Wonder where the 20m jobs will come from.

I am sure it will be easier for us to get -20m jobs even within a year that +10m in the next level

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by dingbang(m): 4:53pm On May 31, 2019
Too many universities already, no jobs. I support buhari on this one

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Paperwhite(m): 4:57pm On May 31, 2019
While Rotimi Amaechi has given the president the impetus by his refusal to even allow a feasibility study of the Maritime University, the idiot went ahead to plant a Transport University in Buhari's home town of Daura.

After Buhari wards/aides/cronies have hijacked the CCRCC Railway Scholarship he will still not give a hoot about a needful Maritime Univ.in Delta State.Yet Buhari said there is unity in diversity.You see foolishness?

109 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by mightyhaze: 4:58pm On May 31, 2019
but building rail tracks n stations into niger republic and spending billions looking for non existent oil in deserts will not disrupt any government functions...

kwantinue,....all na next levo

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by seunmsg(m): 5:06pm On May 31, 2019
dingbang:

He didn’t withhold assent because there are too many universities already. He refused to sign the bill because of the excessive funding provisions which will affect the operations of other government agencies and institutions. I have not seen the details of the bill but from previous bills passed by the 8th assembly, I can bet the bill attempts to charge various agencies in the maritime sector about 1-5% of annual revenue as contribution to the university.

The National Assembly by now should have learnt that Buhari will not sign any bill that attempts to create a rent seeking institution. 21st century universities should be designed in such a way as to be self funding and not to be rent seeking.

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Chikpat(m): 5:09pm On May 31, 2019
Which assent again? Maritime university has long taken off na

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Jgovt(m): 5:27pm On May 31, 2019
GEJ started this project, Ameachi is the problem, he was Angry GEJ didn't approved the one in Rivers and so he has been misinforming Buhari regarding the funding of the project... It will help Nigerians if it's fully established

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Shikini: 5:37pm On May 31, 2019
Buhari's ethnic and religious bigotry will destroy Nigeria.

Here is a man building a Transport University in his village of Daura but denying Niger Delta a Maritime University

Or is he secretly planning to transfer Maritime University to merge with the Daura Transport University?

Tomorrow, when militancy resumes ..

Amaechi is such a disgusting dummy being tossed around by Buhari's government.
What on earth can Amaechi point to as his legacy in Niger Delta as Transport Minister?

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Shikini: 5:41pm On May 31, 2019
dingbang:

Abeg stop acting daft and fooling yourself.
Do you know that FG is currently building a University of Transport in Buhari's village?

It's terrible the way zombies reason.
So, because there are no jobs our children should be denied access to education?

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by MorufuAtanda: 5:52pm On May 31, 2019
Amaechi is a monster, that guy is ready to kill off his own people just to look good to his paymaster. The East must be wary of him and ensure that when Buhari goes, Rotimi is never allowed to come near position where he can determine the fate of people in that region.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by johnkay1(m): 5:56pm On May 31, 2019
Our education sector needs total reformation. Rather than adding more institutions, upgrade the existing ones to the word standard. It is not by number, it is by quality.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by NaijaMutant(f): 6:54pm On May 31, 2019
Dullardic failure called Buhari

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by coolexy2: 6:54pm On May 31, 2019
Otunyaaas....
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by marvin906(m): 6:56pm On May 31, 2019
we don't need more institution's for Christ sake..
the one we already have we never maintain am finish they still want to build more

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Kendumazy(m): 6:57pm On May 31, 2019
Not bad. Resources management control. Nice one from baba!

8GB Atm card flash drive for #1000 only. Check link
https://www.nairaland.com/4972442/clearance-sales-quality-8gb-atm
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by kings09(m): 6:57pm On May 31, 2019
But if na Islamic Maritime University, he ll approve.

Tribal govt

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Zombiekiller010: 6:57pm On May 31, 2019
Yahoo yahoo man
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by chrisifeanyi: 6:58pm On May 31, 2019
K
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by luvinhubby(m): 6:59pm On May 31, 2019
seunmsg:

He didn’t withhold assent because there are too many universities already. He refused to sign the bill because of the excessive funding provisions which will affect the operations of other government agencies and institutions. I have not seen the details of the bill but from previous bills passed by the 8th assembly, I can bet the bill attempts to charge various agencies in the maritime sector about 1-5% of annual revenue as contribution to the university.

The National Assembly by now should have learnt that Buhari will not sign any bill that attempts to create a rent seeking institution. 21st century universities should be designed in such a way as to be self funding and not to be rent seeking.

You never cease to amaze everyone on this forum with your level of bigotry.

Have you tried to weigh the benefit of such an institution against the supposed attendant cost. The maritime sector is a very huge income generating sector that has not been scratched by the Nigerian government and this university will generate the skilled labour that can help us to do that and yes, globally universities can be self-funding, that is if they are up and running and in this case, it requires government funding to do so before it can source it's own funds. They can source for ₦100 billion to pay Fulani herdsmen but cannot do so to invest in education.

By the way, education is a huge capital investment and no serious government shies away from it, except an unserious one like Buhari's government.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by bettercreature(m): 6:59pm On May 31, 2019
dingbang:
Its pure nonsensE.The money should be use to fund those we have already
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by holutee(m): 7:03pm On May 31, 2019
Pls o, are President Buhari's Cows using Condoms? They have remained 150 for over 10 years

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by senatepresido: 7:03pm On May 31, 2019
normal levels
Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by RTSC: 7:03pm On May 31, 2019
What has amaechi done for his people in four years?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Yankiss(m): 7:04pm On May 31, 2019
hmmm, because the university isn't in Kano or Katsina. Amechi see your life?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Ikpongiton: 7:04pm On May 31, 2019
dingbang:
but he approved the one in daura

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by StarUp: 7:05pm On May 31, 2019
I see people blaming Amaechi upandan...my question is...

Re: Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 31, 2019
Is this not the same university that was built on a controversial expanse of land? Government should settle dispute amicably rather than prolong the inevitable. The land in question was acquired illegally by the federal government (GEJ) through the state government (Uduaghan) to build this university on a controversial land. Controversial because the Itsekiris own the land originally but the Ijaws forcefully took control of it during the Crisis.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures On the New 1,000 Naira Note / INEC Declares Ohuabunwa Winner Of Abia-North Senatorial Rerun / Men Arrested In Taraba For Causing Religious Crisis - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.