Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? (2796 Views)

"Stella Oduah's Fraud At Enugu Airport" / Iran Military Facebook Page Post Veiled Threat To Nigeria Over Zaria Killings / Hundreds Throng Enugu Airport To Pay Respect To Chukwumerije. Picture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by AkinEgba: 7:15pm On Oct 01, 2010
In whose interest is Enugu airport upgrade?
Friday, 01 October 2010 00:00 By Wole Shadare Business Services - Business Travels

THE news last week that the Federal Government has approved the upgrade of the Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu to international status came as a shock. The decision was shocking, in the sense that the government has taken a rather dangerous path without understanding what it takes to do so.

An elated Minister of Aviation, Fidelia Akuabata Njeze, had underscored the significance of the airport to the Southeast region that has witnessed remarkable economic growth in recent years.

She highlighted the fact that “a large proportion of businesses in the region are of international dimension. With this upgrade, international travellers will be saved the added cost of going to Lagos or Port Harcourt to travel. Additionally, the safety of lives and property will be better guaranteed as less time will be spent on the roads.”

More worrisome is the fact that the Ministry of Aviation is celebrating it as an achievement without concrete steps to really match this with adequate infrastructure that will make the airport a pride that deserves the new status that is being tied it around. Or is it a case of politics where every state must have an airport, not based on commercial considerations but for the simple fact that we just need an airport?

Very soon, Oyo and Osun, Delta, Imo states will pressurise the government to upgrade the airports to international status just because they have a Minister of Aviation who is from that area. What manner of sector are we running in Nigeria? What type of policy formulators do we have? Do they really advice the government well?

Upgrading the airport to international status is a welcome development only if the several billions of naira that would be earmarked for the job would be judiciously used, but happenings in the sector clearly shows skepticism that it would be money gone down the drain.

The four major international airports are in bad shape. Not a few are of the opinion that efforts should be geared towards refurbishing them rather than embark on white elephant project.

What has the ministry done to refurbish decrepit facilities at virtually all the airports? The facilities are in shambles and seem to have defied all known solutions. What about the country’s flagship airport, the Murtala Muhammed Airport? The decay stares passengers in the face.

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) is in a pitiable situation, not because the management is not trying its best, but because of huge interference from government officials, including the National Assembly, coupled with generational decay that has stunted its growth.

While FAAN is owed over N15 billion by some of its concessionaires, the ministry looks the other way or at best tells the agencies that the debtors are friends of people in government. How can such an agency grow to provide world-class service? It is impossible.

The recent disclosure that the government plans to release N90 billion to upgrade the four major airports of Lagos, Abuja, Port-Harcourt and Kano is heart warming, but we hope the fund will be channelled to the right place and not for electioneering campaign as it is being alleged in some quarters.

Again, Nigeria may indirectly be opening up its territories for foreign airlines, particularly those from the United States, which could force them to rely on the Open Skies agreement between her and U.S. to operate to the airport, thereby endangering the operations of the local airlines.

It could even make British carriers to activate the multiple designation pacts to operate to the airport without reciprocity from Nigerian airlines. Whose interest is the country protecting? Obviously, this is not in Nigeria ’s interest.

We are already witnessing one of the biggest rushes by foreign airlines to operate to Nigeria without the government equipping her own airlines to compete with these mega airlines. All Nigerian airlines put together cannot match airlines like Delta, Emirates, British Airways, even United Airlines.

To worsen the situation, United has concluded arrangement to commence direct flights to Lagos from Washington DC on December 6, 2010, in addition to Delta that has already established itself as one of the biggest airlines in the world.

It is very obvious that the government is not getting its priorities right, not with people who parade themselves as advisers to government.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:28pm On Oct 01, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Wole Shadare  Or is it a case of politics where every state must have an airport, not based on commercial considerations but for the simple fact that we just need an airport?

Very soon, Oyo and Osun, Delta, Imo states will pressurise the government to upgrade the airports to international status just because they have a Minister of Aviation who is from that area.

Rubbish. This guy is a dunce. The commercial considerations were clearly stated by a minister of aviation from the southeast region in his very own article. If the shoe were on the other foot he wouldn't be spewing this nonsense. I doubt very much if Middlebelters or other minorities are up in arms for airports, as I certainly am not myself, and I don't see the point of every major city having an airport until Nigeria is actually developed or semi-developed and can handle the costs.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Onlytruth(m): 7:38pm On Oct 01, 2010
The writer of this article is tribalist monster and he is afraid. He is afraid of the effect of this airport on Lagos, his base and tribal section of Nigeria. Never believe his sanctimonious fears of the funds being misused. His main fear really is that when Enugu airport picks up fully, there will be a major demographic shift in Nigeria from Lagos to the east.
I know, because I am an investor and entrepreneur, and I already plan the headquarters of my company in Enugu in anticipation of this airport.

But, the writer is late! The cat is already out of the bag! grin grin
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by sbeezy8: 7:42pm On Oct 01, 2010
There should be more airports trains buses then people will not want to claim Lagos as home they can freely take a train or plane to Enugu or where ever and not stay in Lagos.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by naijaking1: 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2010
PhysicsQED:

Rubbish. This guy is a dunce. The commercial considerations were clearly stated by a minister of aviation from the southeast region in his very own article. If the shoe were on the other foot he wouldn't be spewing this nonsense. I doubt very much if Middlebelters or other minorities are up in arms for airports, as I certainly am not myself, and I don't see the point of every major city having an airport until Nigeria is actually developed or semi-developed and can handle the costs.

It's very sad. Now, you understand why Nigeria will never develop as is presently governed. Can you imagine an a-s-s-h-ole like the author in a position to make far reaching national decisions?
The result would be things like abandoning the Benin-Ore road, letting the Kainji dam decay, or even frustrating the proposed 2nd Niger Bridge, because "his people" will not be the direct beneficiaries.
Cry thy beloved country angry
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by sbeezy8: 7:45pm On Oct 01, 2010
hopefully as transportation gets better everyone will go back to their regions- Amen

This guy is Lost last thing Lagos needs is an Aboki or Okoroman wanting to live and die in Lagos as if its his fatherland.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by ezeagu(m): 7:50pm On Oct 01, 2010
Onlytruth:

The writer of this article is tribalist monster and he is afraid. He is afraid of the effect of this airport on Lagos, his base and tribal section of Nigeria. Never believe his sanctimonious fears of the funds being misused. His main fear really is that when Enugu airport picks up fully, there will be a major demographic shift in Nigeria from Lagos to the east.
I know, because I am an investor and entrepreneur, and I already plan the headquarters of my company in Enugu in anticipation of this airport.

But, the writer is late! The cat is already out of the bag!  grin grin

Simple! Lagos and Abuja will not be the only recognised regions in Nigeria any more.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by sbeezy8: 7:56pm On Oct 01, 2010
^^^ Amen-
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by AkinEgba: 8:00pm On Oct 01, 2010
The author of this article Wole Shadare is a disgrace to Yoruba. Please forgive him for he does not represent our Yoruba interest. He is a complete bigot.

I hope he is not Bluetooth or sbeezy8 in real life. Correct Yorubas like me don pass that level.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by sbeezy8: 8:02pm On Oct 01, 2010
Akin-Egba:

The author of this article Wole Shadare is a disgrace to Yoruba. Please forgive him for he does not represent our Yoruba interest. He is a complete bigot.

I hope he is not Bluetooth or sbeezy8 in real life. Correct Yorubas like me don pass that level.

Ileke idi are you dumb didnt I just say there should be more airports in naija or are you blind?
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by udezue(m): 8:07pm On Oct 01, 2010
Too late for the writer. grin
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by AloyEmeka5: 8:08pm On Oct 01, 2010
sbeezy8:

Ileke idi are you dumb didnt I just say there should be more airports in naija or are you blind?

Ileke Idi is not Akin Egba, you Harvard law mofo.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by sbeezy8: 8:09pm On Oct 01, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Ileke Idi is not Akin Egba, you Harvard law mofo.

ok she is you then Ode.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by WilyWily5: 8:21pm On Oct 01, 2010
nay bad belle go kill Gorilla Yorubas.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 01, 2010
Sjeezy, are you for real? You've been drinking too much independence day ogogoro.
SMH LIKE WTF.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by AkinEgba: 10:46pm On Oct 01, 2010
sbeezy8:

There should be more airports trains buses then people will not want to claim Lagos as home they can freely take a train or plane to Enugu or where ever and not stay in Lagos.

sbeezy8:

hopefully as transportation gets better everyone will go back to their regions- Amen

This guy is Lost last thing Lagos needs is an Aboki or Okoroman wanting to live and die in Lagos as if its his fatherland.

This is disgustingly xenophobic. Are you a xenophobe?
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by MaziUche0(m): 10:49pm On Oct 01, 2010
Ileke-Idi I knew you were an Igbo sympathizer. Come here baby! grin
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by kettykings: 12:15am On Oct 02, 2010
The enugu airport is just one case in a million,
There are no RORO port in the east too all the 3 RORO ports are in lagos, the calabar port is dead because some one refused to dredge the calabar channel,
What is happening to River Niger dredging , it has been abandoned halfway.
The PH port for reasons known to government is dead too it can only export crude oil and can't handle containerised goods.
This is some people's ideology of one indivisible nigeria.
The Business men in the east will travel to lagos to either import / export products . To make matters worse such writers will complain that lagos is congested that people elsewhere sholud leave.

the writer didn't complain when OBJ upgraded calabar airport to an international airport in 2006.

The second niger bridge was to cost 3 billion bucks as at 1992 but the minister for works Adisa refused to do it preferring to use the money to dualize ibadan illorin road.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by bkbabe97y(m): 12:22am On Oct 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

I know, because I am an investor and entrepreneur. . . .

What do u invest in? Hate/Bigotry/Tribalism?
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Nobody: 3:40am On Oct 02, 2010
MaziUche0:

Ileke-Idi I knew you were an Igbo sympathizer. Come here baby! grin
And what do I get for coming? undecided
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Onlytruth(m): 3:46am On Oct 02, 2010
bk.babe97y:

What do u invest in? Hate/Bigotry/Tribalism?

I sell goat food fodder. cool You want some? lmao.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by naijaking1: 3:49am On Oct 02, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

And what do I get for coming? undecided

Do you and Maziuche need some privacy
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Onlytruth(m): 3:54am On Oct 02, 2010
@Topic

This is what we've been fighting in Nigeria since the end of the civil war. Unfortunately for them, the evil schemes cannot endure for ever.
One of these days, Enugu will have an international airport, and that will be the beginning of the end for Lagos.

If Enugu state government under Chime plans properly, Enugu will explode in business and growth. Enugu can plan big industrial and commercial estates to take advantage of this airport. For the first time, an Igbo man can leave and return to Nigeria without passing through other local ports, BIG DEAL.
My company will control a particular business niche (which will remain secret) from Enugu.
We will rule Africa from Enugu.  cool cool cool
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by AkinEgba: 4:07am On Oct 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

We will rule Africa from Enugu. cool cool cool

Hey!!! Don't chew more than you can bite
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by tpiah: 4:15am On Oct 02, 2010
what is the thread and article about?
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Onlytruth(m): 4:39am On Oct 02, 2010
If I were Governor Chime, I will cash in BIG TIME after this airport is completed and turn Enugu into the Johannesburg or San Francisco of West Africa. Just draw up a solid development plan with high density buildings (high rise) at the core. Such a sound urban design plan will house current Enugu population at the city core (about 20% of city land area) on houses ten stories and higher. This will free up more lands for business parks and commerce, as well as industry and suburb living. The hilly terrain must not be tampered with! Whenever I think of Enugu, I see a city with great potential for exquisite tourism and modern living.

But first, this airport! cool cool
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Nobody: 5:10am On Oct 02, 2010
naijaking1:

Do you and Maziuche need some privacy
Dont you worry yourself abt that. . . we have one room in malibu.

@Onlytruth
Go and enjoy Ind Day with some family/friends. . . .enough of this gragra for one day grin tongue
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by bkbabe97y(m): 7:47am On Oct 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

I sell goat food fodder. cool You want some? lmao.

Yes, come to think of it, I actually do want to buy some. My mountain-goat, Ojukwu, which I inherited from Col.Benjamin Adekunle, will be very well pleased;I'm sure! grin
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 02, 2010
To make good use of the international airport, the Governor's especially those of Enugu and Anambra and Imo states need to make more commitments and plans. Work never stops until the aim is achieved, getting an International Airport is only the first step. We have the market but their are till restraints.

I believe the most popular South East travel destinations include China, South Africa, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, US, UK, Australia, Canada. We need to bring Visa processing for these destinations to the South East.

Else travellers who will need to head to Lagos to process their Visas will prefer to travel from Lagos. Most embassies will prefer to maintain only one office in a country, so how do we get some of them to open branch or extension office within the South East. My idea is that Enugu Government should provide either a diplomatic complex or zone with free accommodation to diplomatic missions for extension offices, Anambra should do same in Onitsha, while Imo in Owerri. Abia and ebonyi can also do so. The bottom line is that we must woo these missions to allow us extension offices for visa processing or for on-ward forwarding and return to and from their main embassies in Abuja. It must cost them little to maintain for it to make economic sense to them hence we have to provide the accommodations. One will ask what economics justifies the investment - answer, the more the embassies have a local presence in the South East, the more they stop viewing US from Lagos perspective and their business men are aware of us as a business destination and potential, not just a market to be harvested from Lagos.

Secondly, for  long we have controlled the luxury bus  sector, especially since we travel the most in the country. The Governor's should partner with luxury bus owners like Chisco, GUO Okeke, Ifesinanchi, Ekenedili Chukwu, etc, to roll out an airline. I suggest the name "Sun Airs or Sunny Airs" in line with the East Sun brand". It should start with Scope for both local and international flights. While the Government provides a good part of the fund, the larger amount should come from the transports and what ever remains floated for public subscription at the Onitsha Stock Exchange Market. The ownership of the Airline will allow us identify the South East exclusively  with those destinations that are frequented mainly by US, eg. Singapore. It will also ensure that the airports succeeds greatly as an international airport.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by AkinEgba: 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2010
KenGali:

To make good use of the international airport, the Governor's especially those of Enugu and Anambra and Imo states need to make more commitments and plans. Work never stops until the aim is achieved, getting an International Airport is only the first step. We have the market but their are till restraints.

I believe the most popular South East travel destinations include China, South Africa, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, US, UK, Australia, Canada. We need to bring Visa processing for these destinations to the South East.

Else travellers who will need to head to Lagos to process their Visas will prefer to travel from Lagos. Most embassies will prefer to maintain only one office in a country, so how do we get some of them to open branch or extension office within the South East. My idea is that Enugu Government should provide either a diplomatic complex or zone with free accommodation to diplomatic missions for extension offices, Anambra should do same in Onitsha, while Imo in Owerri. Abia and ebonyi can also do so. The bottom line is that we must woo these missions to allow us extension offices for visa processing or for on-ward forwarding and return to and from their main embassies in Abuja. It must cost them little to maintain for it to make economic sense to them hence we have to provide the accommodations. One will ask what economics justifies the investment - answer, the more the embassies have a local presence in the South East, the more they stop viewing US from Lagos perspective and their business men are aware of us as a business destination and potential, not just a market to be harvested from Lagos.

Secondly, for  long we have controlled the luxury bus  sector, especially since we travel the most in the country. The Governor's should partner with luxury bus owners like Chisco, GUO Okeke, Ifesinanchi, Ekenedili Chukwu, etc, to roll out an airline. I suggest the name "Sun Airs or Sunny Airs" in line with the East Sun brand". It should start with Scope for both local and international flights. While the Government provides a good part of the fund, the larger amount should come from the transports and what ever remains floated for public subscription at the Onitsha Stock Exchange Market. The ownership of the Airline will allow us identify the South East exclusively  with those destinations that are frequented mainly by US, eg. Singapore. It will also ensure that the airports succeeds greatly as an international airport.

Good talk, but you normally do not get your visa around the same time (day) that you travel. In addition, most frequent travelers even have multi-entry visas and do not need to go to the embassy each time they want to travel
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Dede1(m): 5:31pm On Oct 02, 2010
@OP

The author did not only display tribal bigotry but showed lack of logic associated with human beings. The slowpoke was so blinded with tribal sentiments he or she could not see the need for regional development in Nigeria.

I can not believe the dunce was pen-happy to orchestrate the fact that arrangement has been ratified for USA to commence direct from Washington, DC to Lagos. Did the author forget it will be nice for direct flight to commence from Washington, DC to Enugu since Lagos-Ore-Benin road has become a death trap? When did it become a national crime to have more than one international airport in country?

Sometimes I wonder if it actually good to share nationality with certain people.
Re: Someone shows a veiled dislike for the upgrading Of Enugu Airport? by Onlytruth(m): 10:38pm On Oct 02, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Dont you worry yourself abt that. . . we have one room in malibu.

@Onlytruth
Go and enjoy Ind Day with some family/friends. . . .enough of this gragra for one day grin tongue

grin grin

It wasn't gragra though; I meant business, seriously. I only hope that the Enugu state governor sees what I see in Enugu. All he really needs to do is to draw up a 21st century development plan for Enugu, and things will start taking shape gradually.
Frankly if Igbo leaders can see what I see in Enugu international airport, they would even make it the top priority for Igbo agenda in Nigeria.
Igbo enemies see that potential, I wonder why we are blind to it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Realization / Best Governor Is Theodore Orji / Sahara Reporters Publisher, Sowore, Says Pres. Jonathan Is The “Chief Murderer”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.