Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,909 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations (26603 Views)

INEC Insists APGA Won’t Participate In Anambra Governorship Election / Festus Okoye: Why APGA Won’t Participate In Anambra Governorship Election / INEC Confirms Rivers APC Won’t Participate In 2019 Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by phranklean: 11:18am On Jun 12, 2019
Wole Soyinka, foremost playwright, says he will not participate in the celebrations of June 12 as Democracy Day.

In honour of MKO Abiola, the presumed winner of the 1993 presidential election, President Muhammadu Buhari had signed into law, the bill to make June 12 replace May 29 as Democracy Day.

In an essay made available to TheCable on Tuesday, Soyinka condemned the conduct of the 2019 elections.

“This year’s recall of an uplifting day in the year 1993 comes up against a background of its most shameful disavowal: the 2019 elections – still under judicial contestation – an event that would be more accurately described as an exercise in body count rather than ballot count,” he said.

“The elections however merely reflected a pattern of savagery and abandonment of human sensibilities that have eaten away the sheerest sense of community in the nation. I have already described it as the final descent into the abyss of human degradation. The recent call – no matter how suspect the motivation –for what amounts to a national discourse on future directions was nothing new.

“A day dedicated to democracy – as a compelling morality of social existence – is merely frivolous unless directed at the recognition of the telling, prevailing features of the last exercise, which throw in question the free, hopefully educated exertion of human choice.”

The Nobel laureate also made it known that his non participation in this year’s Democracy Day was by choice.

“I shall not participate in this year’s June 12 celebrations – from choice. It is part of my training exercises for withdrawing from public space, a resolution that I first half seriously injected into encounters over five years ago. That absence applies, not to the official celebration alone – of which I have never been a part anyway – but to the annual ritual by civic groups, a ritual of both tribute and defiance that has been unflaggingly observed till now,” he said.

Soyinka said Democracy Day deserves truthful confrontation with the socio-political conditions and it should not be celebrated with groundless recriminations.

Source:
https://www.thecable.ng/soyinka-i-wont-participate-in-june-12-celebrations/amp

38 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by baliyubla: 11:21am On Jun 12, 2019
Celebrating Democracy, despite the sham of February Presidential elections, that made a mockery of the same democracy.

How about the total disregard for the rule of law, the Judiciary, press, citizenry and the constitution of the land?

Does the coupist even know the meaning of the word Democracy?

Good morning Professor Soyinka.

188 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Kingosytex(m): 11:23am On Jun 12, 2019
the prof nailed the matter!

the last election was characterised by widespread irregularities but that is almost the norm because conducting a perfect election is a near impossible task. i believe there is always room for improvement

prof's diction "issagoal"

38 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by dollytino4real(f): 11:27am On Jun 12, 2019
it is not by force but by choice

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Racoon(m): 11:34am On Jun 12, 2019
“This year’s recall of an uplifting day in the year 1993 comes up against a background of its most shameful disavowal: the 2019 elections still under judicial contestation.An event that would be more accurately described as an exercise in body count rather than ballot count,” he said.

“The elections however merely reflected a pattern of savagery & abandonment of human sensibilities that have eaten away the sheerest sense of community in the nation. I have already described it as the final descent into the abyss of human degradation.
Guess we were wailers? Welcome to reality Prof.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Racoon(m): 11:34am On Jun 12, 2019
baliyubla:
Celebrating Democracy, despite the sham of February Presidential elections, that made a mockery of the same democracy.

How about the total disregard for the rule of law, the Judiciary, press, citizenry and the constitution of the land?
Does the coupist even know meaning of the word Democracy? Good morning Professor Soyinka.
When supposed sophisticated educated illiterates of Soyinka kind chose to support a well known bigot cum tyrannt one wonder what would become of the poor unlearned fellas.What a paradox with Nigeria

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Jmk9292(m): 11:37am On Jun 12, 2019
One of the very few with brains...

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Splashme: 11:38am On Jun 12, 2019
In summary, Prof Soyinka is not attending the celebrations
because, like many Nigerians, he feels the 2019 elections were recklessly
rigged by Buhari and his ruling APC party

Issorite, welcome to the Camp Wailers, prof

100 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by QueenSekxy(f): 11:42am On Jun 12, 2019
Yorubas should be mourning this day and not to celebrate. What's there in celebrating betrayals you caused your own son.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Racoon(m): 11:46am On Jun 12, 2019
QueenSekxy:
Yorubas should be mourning this day and not to celebrate. What's there in celebrating betrayals you caused your own son.
Well said sis.Longest time! Welcome back!

20 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by chozzy: 11:52am On Jun 12, 2019
I remember Buba Galadima challenging Buhari to swear by the
Holy Koran that he did not rig the 2019 elections.

The dullard kept mum till date

We still have upright men in Prof Soyinka

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by QueenSekxy(f): 11:52am On Jun 12, 2019
Racoon:
Well said sis.Longest time! Welcome back!
Thank you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Karemarealty288(m): 12:10pm On Jun 12, 2019
Oga Soyinka abeg paze Pront angry grin grin apata all Buhari now has all it takes to bring $1 to #1 no more blame blame blame . Next level....joooorrr

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by eagleeye2: 12:17pm On Jun 12, 2019
Where is Femi Adeshina, the man who coined the now infamous phrase 'wailing wailers'.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by chozzy: 12:34pm On Jun 12, 2019
Splashme:
In summary, Prof Soyinka is not attending the celebrations
because, like many Nigerians, he feels the 2019 elections were recklessly
rigged by Buhari and his ruling APC party

Issorite, welcome to the Camp Wailers, prof

The moment that man refused signing the electoral bill into law
was the day I gave up on 2019 elections

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Aidejay(m): 1:43pm On Jun 12, 2019
WE WON'T GIVE A FCK

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by wingmanII: 1:50pm On Jun 12, 2019
APC Zombies will shun this thread.
Dumb, unreasoning animals!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Shikini: 2:23pm On Jun 12, 2019
wingmanII:
APC Zombies will shun this thread.
Dumb, unreasoning animals!

I swear
Even the mods (mynd44, lalasticlala and Co) are pretending not to see the thread

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 12, 2019
Lie lie, he's afraid of Buhari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by voiceofthetruth: 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
A man I respect so much

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Lovelive: 2:39pm On Jun 12, 2019
This G MB is a fake fellow.

The exact hypocrisy G IIB used to wipe the victory of MKA ( I mean democracy in Nigeria), is not different to what he G MB is doing now to deny the mandate of Atiku (I mean "pushed-democracy") and kill the hope of millions of Nigeria.

And after some years, another fake ones will rise to recognize Atiku as truly elected President of Feb.2019 gnrl elections.

It is amazing the way even some fresh politicians and followers showcase their ignorance here in NL.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by SPOILT9JAOLOSHO(m): 3:04pm On Jun 12, 2019
Soyinka, I remember reading his novels during secondary sch days lol
Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 12, 2019
angry whatever, the truth is whether you celebrate or not today remains democracy day

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by MrAnele(m): 3:05pm On Jun 12, 2019
Better man

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by SPOILT9JAOLOSHO(m): 3:05pm On Jun 12, 2019
Cinderallagirl:
angry
What is that face for young girl?
Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by MrAnele(m): 3:05pm On Jun 12, 2019
SPOILT9JAOLOSHO:
Soyinka, I remember reading his novels during secondary sch days lol

Why the lol?? Whats funny about you reading his books during your secondary school days

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by PapaAdanna: 3:06pm On Jun 12, 2019
No reasonable Nigerian is supposed to celebrate it because this nation is not yet democratic.

Democracy under Buhari is mockery to the real sense of it

10 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by DuBLINGreenb(m): 3:06pm On Jun 12, 2019
Who beg you to participate? We go soon catch you, tie you, flog you small then barber that your head gorimakpa, morrow morrow, shine shine, secura for you rub am small baby oil. Release you back to the wild.
Re: Soyinka: I Won’t Participate In June 12 Celebrations by martowskin1(m): 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
why are the intelligent ones against buhari, but the dumb ones always run after him

17 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala To Buhari: You Must Do Something About Oil Cartel / Picture Of Saraki Signing 2016 Budget / FG To Reduce Petrol Pump Price From ₦125 To ₦123.5 Per Litre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.