Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide (48062 Views)

FG Seals Off Sahad Store, Abuja As Crackdown On Hoarding, Price Fixing Begins / Wike Revokes Sen Maeba’s Land In Port Harcourt Amid Crackdown On Atiku Loyalists / EndSARS: Joe Biden To Buhari & Military, "Stop Violent Crackdown On Protesters" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by donprinyo(m): 7:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
Waste of resources

2 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by kaen1317: 7:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
am the most abused and insulted president in the world, but when I leave you will all remember me for the total freedom you enjoyed under my Government---GEJ

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Yankee101: 7:40pm On Jun 12, 2019
Free speech please
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by NobleRomm(m): 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
is it me dat will read all this things
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by arantess: 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
Zombies come and defend your people

7 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Okuda(m): 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
welcome to next level. where freedom of speech is no longer guaranteed. una never see anything! someone said " I am no longer angry with Buhari, na the supporters wey put am there i dey vex for" . I am of the same thoughts... hahaha

12 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by sebali: 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
Where is come and defend this move.

7 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by OriginalZombiE: 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
post=79271424:

Every member is solely responsible for anything they post on Nairaland and online generally!

Freedom of speech is about to die in Nigeria

I hope you are happy now?

low IQ herdsman

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by arantess: 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
kaen1317:
I am the most abused and insulted president in the world, but when I leave you will all remember me for the total freedom you enjoyed under my Government---GEJ

1 Like

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Omoluabi16(m): 7:43pm On Jun 12, 2019
It is no surprise. Herdsmen F.M, now no more free speech. I wish they had the balls to actually define incitement but they won't. We will arse lick all the way to 2023. Sai baba.

2 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by sonofElElyon: 7:44pm On Jun 12, 2019
The govt shouldn't gag social media.. People should also be more responsible with what they post.. The afonja, Igbos and arewa rubbish on nairaland should stop!

Omooba77:
The State Security Service on Wednesday announced a nationwide crackdown on individuals allegedly caught posting inciting materials on the Internet, in a move that could provoke fresh debates about the potency of Nigerian Constitution’s free speech safeguards.

The SSS said it had recently observed that some social media users were skewing Nigeria’s history to promote ethnic violence and tip the nation into crisis, a development it said must be urgently reversed through state interference.

The secret police’s spokesperson, Peter Afunanya, said in a statement to PREMIUM TIMES that some “unpatriotic” Nigerians have been using social media platforms to make “unguarded public statements and/or use the social media platforms to instil fear in the minds of citizens”.

“These are reflected in the misleading statements and articles being circulated among unsuspecting members of the public. Such inciting materials oftentimes are designed to make or convey false accusations by one group against the other.

“They also resort to skewing historical narratives to suit their objective of masterminding ethnic violence in the nation. So far, some of the culprits have been arrested,” Mr Afunanya said.

The SSS said it was “determined to ensure that the tribal chauvinists and mischief makers do not continue to exploit socio-political differences and Internet platforms to threaten the peace and stability of the country.”

The service said regional and community elders should not only desist from making “unguarded statements” but also help shut down all ethnically-charged rhetoric by persons in their respective domains.

The SSS vowed to “sustain the apprehension and prosecution of defaulters,” because it would not relent in its quest to prevent crimes and keep Nigeria as an indivisible country.

Mr Afunanya told PREMIUM TIMES in a follow-up conversation that he would make available the identities of those arrested and from which parts of the country.

While it may generate outrage for the manner it was executed, the crackdown did not come in isolation or as a surprise to Internet and free speech advocates.

The Nigerian government has invested heavily in tracking tools to keep social media users in check, even though the practise remained largely non-transparent and constitutionally problematic.

“It is a development that does does not come as a surprise,” Adeboye Adegoke, an Internet rights expert with Paradigm Initiative, told PREMIUM TIMES Wednesday morning. “The foundation for this was laid in the past three-two five years with investments in monitoring and policing speech by the Nigerian government.”

Mr Adegoke described the SSS’ action as scary and aimed at fostering an atmosphere of fear amongst Nigerians online.

“What we are seeing is a scary dive dive into a climate of fear, a chilling effect in which case citizen will have to think twice before sharing opinion especially those opinions that do not paint the incumbent in good light.”

The analyst said the government has exploited its monopoly over national security to assume a controversial position as the arbiter of patriotism and seditious acts.

“The Constitution is clear on the rights of citizens to express opinions. The government does not have to like such opinions,” Mr Adegoke said.

The expert said the SSS should promptly publish details of the arrests, but Nigerians should not wait before condemning repressive acts that erode civil liberties.

“The country is gradually becoming a place where speech is being policed and everyone who cares about civil liberty should not only be worried but resist attempts by the state to cow citizens into submission to state-defined ‘patriotism’ or ‘hate speech.”

https://www.independent.ng/breaking-dss-declares-nationwide-crackdown-on-social-media-users

1 Like

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by FLYFIRE(m): 7:45pm On Jun 12, 2019
IDIATS...BIG IDIATS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by sebali: 7:47pm On Jun 12, 2019
OriginalZombiE:

The fool typed one nonsense just now.
Scroll up, you will see it

Just saw the rubbish he posted. Am tempted to think he is govt official seriously embezzling our common wealth thus the need to always defend the position of the government, whether right or wrong.
Shame

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by BruncleZuma: 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
When they were purchasing internet surveillance softwares packages shey una been dey clap upandan...the damn thing was even in the budget.

grin grin grin grin

Dear DSS,

12 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by BuhariAdvocate: 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
Very good move .
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Sicilyjoe: 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
Good one, all this useless people that post rubbish here all the time
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Racoon(m): 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
"I am the most abused and insulted president in the world but when I leave office, you will all remember me for the total ‘freedom’ you enjoyed under my government."

"...I signed the Freedom of Information (FOI) Bill into law, to expand the frontiers of our fundamental freedom. Let me re-alarm that under a Jonathan Presidency, your views, no matter how freely expressed, will not send you to prison or into exile".

-Goodluck Jonathan 2014
cheesy Celebrating democracy day and same time re-enacting infamous decree-4 of the 1983-85 era.Next level tyranny.Nigeria were warned but petty sentiments beclouded sense of sound judgement of many.

8 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by israelmao(m): 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
One thing about character is that it cannot be hidden.That's Buhari's character; suppression of public views and opinions.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by sebali: 7:50pm On Jun 12, 2019
post=79271424:

This is what we have always stand for.
Every member is solely responsible for anything they post on Nairaland and online generally!
Watch your back Promoters of violence and TRIBALISM.

Promoter of poverty and ethnic superiority, watch your front for what you sow today awaits you and your children and their children tomorrow

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by crackhouse(m): 7:51pm On Jun 12, 2019
Johnnyessence:
they are only calling for more protest against gagged on social media and freedom of speech.
the question is who will lead the protest?
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by OriginalZombiE: 7:51pm On Jun 12, 2019
sebali:

Just saw the rubbish he posted. Am tempted to think he is govt official seriously embezzling our common wealth thus the need to always defend the position of the government, whether right or wrong.
Shame

Won't surprise me one bit.

he most def is part and parcel of APC.

Can't just be some random online miscreant.

The country is going to the dogs, yet he comes here everyday drumming up support for a failed government.

The silly idiot is definitely benefiting from buhari one way or the other

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by kollysnut(m): 7:51pm On Jun 12, 2019
djacob:
Is about to happen...no more freedom of speech

Nobody said u can't talk, just know what u are saying.... Simple.
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by megafaraday(m): 7:51pm On Jun 12, 2019
Good move. Say No to unguarded statements capable of plunging the nation into another civil war
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by 9jaBloke: 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2019
Welcome development
Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2019
This is a well orchestrated plan.

(1) they abolish guns..

(2) they pocket judiciary

(3) they pocket legislators

(4) they gag media

(5) killing/jihad begins

Hail go soon full

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by princeade86(m): 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2019
NEXT LEVEL

1 Like

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by sebali: 7:54pm On Jun 12, 2019
crackhouse:
the question is who will lead the protest?

Unfortunately we don't have an active middle class that's why protest don't hold on Nigeria, coupled with are tribalistic nature. Even you decide to protest Abøkis and tinubu loyalist would protest against such a march of freedom.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2019
Buhari's Nigeria, a police state. A country that has no real investment in his people. I hope you have enough money to keep many prisoners alive there?

9 Likes

Re: DSS Declares Crackdown On Social Media Users Nationwide by Oszy: 7:56pm On Jun 12, 2019
I hope they track down BMCs too. Social media is where Nigerians tell government (Waka) but government is pained.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sanusi Lamido 2023 Campaign Vehicle By Northern Youth Group / Abandoned N449m: Suspect In EFCC Custody, Threatens To Reveal Owner If… / Hope Uzodinma’s Travel Ban, N4.3bn Fraud Case: FG Keeps Mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.