Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan (9463 Views)

Poll: What has really failed?

The 6-3-3-4 System: 14% (7 votes)
The Implementation: 85% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Amaechi's Ministerial Nomination: Buhari Government Has Failed The Moral Test / Cabinet Members Who Failed Jonathan - The Nation / The South Failed Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 05, 2010
oludashmi:

[color=#000099]good one!

This is the same system used in the US, Japan, China etc, why is Nigeria's a failure?

Should we say politics has failed in Nigerian cos politics is not good?
The implementation of systems matters alot, not just the announcement or documentation of the system. All that our leaders do is to document a system, move into 1/3 of the system, abandon the 2/3 of the system and expect same result as those who used 4/4 of the same system.

This GEJ sef? He doesnt dig deep into issues b4 concluding. the same way he said the Oct 1 bombing was done by terrorists outside the country. mscheww
ROTFL
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Bentola: 2:56pm On Oct 05, 2010
I was of the older system with HSC in-between. But I still want to tell you that having been in the outside world and witness the power in the 6-3-3-4 system, I will say I wished I had come during the time. There are more to it than just getting materials and teachers who could not use the materials.
The system itself was not defined then. We put the new wine in an old bottle. The system divides and defines who goes to where from the primary school. From the time a child enters into the primary school, a great observation of his likes and dislike are monitored. These likes and dislikes are then moderated into capabilities and then subjects of learning. What interests the child is encouraged and works upon to follow him up to fruition. Some children can work alone while some are better in a team. By the time they finish their primary school, the school would have known if a child will be qualified for academic or handy work or in between.
At the junior secondary school, some children change as a result of peers. Those who were once academic-prone may change and vice visa, the system and the school must also respond to that. Also at the junior secondary school the school and the industry become cooperative in the life of the child through internship. Whoever wants to become Hotel manager for instance, must start going to hotels for may be cooking, dish-washing; by the time he gets to senior secodary school, he must be able to enter figures in a simple excel sheet.
The parents have a role playing in this also. In Nigeria today, No parent will allow his/her child to go to a mechanic spot for ordinary observation. The teachers will favour children of parents that sends gift often; and some parents will buy questions for their child to avoid going to technically oriented schools.
How then can you blame a system that cannot implement itself but relied on you Mr. President for its success?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by soldee: 3:22pm On Oct 05, 2010

IBB introduced the 6-3-3-4 system.

What the hell is GEJ playing at?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by princekevo(m): 4:07pm On Oct 05, 2010
Now am really beginning to doubt this man PHD cert. Another clear evidence that this man has no single clue of our education problem in Nigeria. He did not fault our archaic curriculum, not even our poorly equipped schools, nor the teachers who are not being paid nor recognised in the society, rather he is faulting the 6-3-3-4 system which has worked effectively in other Nations.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by obi123: 4:09pm On Oct 05, 2010
Instead of admitting that it is the government that has failed the 6-3-3-4 system , he is blaming the system. Most people who passed through that system are doing excellently well despite the struggles .

what is he on about really?  if he likes bring 1-2-3-4 it will still fail .

MR PHD holder instead of speaking grammer and bathing us in saliva  , find out why the other countries that have adopted it are successfully implementing it and why it is working there and not in Nigeria
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by tpiah: 4:59pm On Oct 05, 2010
wasnt 6-3-3-4 scrapped some years ago.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Kilode1: 5:18pm On Oct 05, 2010
The system of education that produced both GEJ and IBB failed!
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by joshelen(m): 5:59pm On Oct 05, 2010
Shud we blame teachers 4 d employment of unqualified teachers? Why dancin round d truth d politicians are our problems, they wil never give d right person d job and dose ones dat cud perform are been checked once it wil clash with dere selfish interest. We shud b blamin them
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by tjskii(f): 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2010
so wat does he intend to do about it now, scrap it? Foolish man, he hasn't finished handling the electricity palava,which is a main issue,he's here talking bout the education system,mmmsscchheeeww,the guy just dey vex me,I'm so not voting for him, angry angry
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by wksi: 6:18pm On Oct 05, 2010
@tjskii is that you on your profile?  That's soo lovely!!!!  Where are you at?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Musiwa13: 8:31pm On Oct 05, 2010
Jonathan is right, the old system is better than the new one. We cant pay for the new system. too expensive.

And the new system does not give student a broad view of all the subject.

The 6-3-3-4 allow student to pick thier subject even while they do not know which to pick. Most of them just decide on which area to study without having the require knowledge to make that decision.

The old system is better, but you may be better to make it 6-6-4 .

Look I did not do history as a final years student in High school but I know everything to know. The old system allow student to make that decision in the last two years and not in the last 3 years. You dont want student to pick if their are going to be science student or art student, they grade should tell them where they best fit.

You dont want student to come out and not understand french. I did french for 9 years.  You want to make sure a high school student spend 4 years in school reading chemistry either he want to be a doctor or not.
You want to make sure a would be doctor did 4 years of history in high school.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 8:42pm On Oct 05, 2010
Odd that some dreamers here are saying that nothing is wrong with the 6-3-3-4 system but the implementation which is just a contradiction in terms.
Basically what the President said is that the extant system is not meeting the needs of the society which may be true.

It certainly goes beyond whether the system has produced "brilliant" minds which is yet another nonsensical statement, made by violent, since a revamped system could conceivably produce much more useful and productive citizens.( Isn't brilliance supposed to be:- 1) inborn and 2) dependent on early nurture?)

Personally I think there has to be much more emphasis laid on actually preparing the less academically inclined students for the world of work as opposed to the current dispensation where the emphasis is just on preparing a small minority of students for university entrance exams.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Musiwa13: 10:10pm On Oct 05, 2010
I use to teach before, so I can tell you which one is better since I went to school with the old system.
Even if you look at nigeria great mind. They all come from the old system. Nigeria have not been able to produce the same material of human and the same set of brilliance that the old system produced. That is why the university system has a problem in replacing professors.

With the old system nigeria produced so many professor because they knew what they are doing before they take that career decision . With the old system, you already know if you were not going to make medical school. Your grade would have told you. While the best student tend to go into sciences and the least best end up in the art and social science. That old system allow nigeria to put its most brillant mind in the field of science.

With the new system some children who do very well in science may decide to go into the art or social sciences. While really their best potential was sciences. Art and social science are much and very easy than science. It makes student who have no business to been in sciences to assume they can do well.

Any nation would want its most brillant mind to go into the science field because an average human can not fathom science. There is a portion of your brain that allow you to understand science. Old system make it easy to know which student brain is ready. Not everybody can see thing in three dimension. Some people thier right brain lobe works better than thier left lobe. Some people medulla oblongata send signal differently from others.

Look I do very well in anything that involve maths. I dont have to work for it. Anything that involve logic. i do well. it is a natural gift. If I have gone through the new system. I do well in other field too. But I would be lazy to want to go into science and prefer the quick and easy way of art or social science which tend to make more money.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by ridgeman: 10:52pm On Oct 05, 2010
It failed because the motives and execution behind it we're ill concieved, Well at GEJ has taken a step in criticizing his predecessors lets hope he will have the will to correct them
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by seedord247(m): 11:48pm On Oct 05, 2010
Who told you people is 6-3-3-4 let me calculate it for you people.

6 - for primary school if you get money na 3 years for pry school.

4 - including holiday and strikes

4- including holiday and strikes

6-including riot, strike, school fees and so may others

Nigerians, I think they said the slave trade is no more existing what's happening now? trade slave?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by seyibrown(f): 11:54pm On Oct 05, 2010
The only problem with the 6-3-3-4 system is the people who run it! Our 'optional compulsory' textbook/ 'Sleep with me or I fail you' / 'bribe me or I fail you'  lecturers are a clear example! It is the people who run the system! The ones who run the system behave like they are God and don't care about due process! Student admission is mostly by 'connection'/ 'settlement'.

Any new system introduced will fail as long as the people who run it remain the same.

I think Primate Olabayo predicted sometime this year that the system would be changed!
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:59pm On Oct 05, 2010
oludashmi:

good one!

This is the same system used in the US, Japan, China etc, why is Nigeria's a failure?

Should we say politics has failed in Nigerian cos politics is not good?
The implementation of systems matters alot, not just the announcement or documentation of the system. All that our leaders do is to document a system, move into 1/3 of the system, abandon the 2/3 of the system and expect same result as those who used 4/4 of the same system.

This GEJ sef? He doesnt dig deep into issues b4 concluding. the same way he said the Oct 1 bombing was done by terrorists outside the country. mscheww

huh? the US doest use a 6-3-3-4 system ma'am.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 06, 2010
seedord247:

Who told you people is 6-3-3-4 let me calculate it for you people.

6 - for primary school if you get money na 3 years for pry school.

4 - including holiday and strikes

4- including holiday and strikes

6-including riot, strike, school fees and so may others

Nigerians, I think they said the slave trade is no more existing what's happening now? trade slave?

I hope you didn't carryover your 100L courses till your final year or which one be so many others.lol
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Musiwa13: 12:12am On Oct 06, 2010
All of this are the product of the 6- 3- 3- 4 that should tell you a story about the system.

A nation can not have a system that assume that some of its children are going to be failures. And that was the point and reason why they introduced the 6 3 3 4. They assume , we would have mechanics, etc .

The real truth , children can be mode to be the best you want them to be. I know so, because I use to teach. I can turn a not too smart child to the world smartest child.

Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Musiwa13: 12:14am On Oct 06, 2010
more

Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by TPS360: 1:14am On Oct 06, 2010
I am surprised the so-called president( retarded) is blaming a system that millions of Nigerians have successfully passed through(when it was well implemented). What system do they want to adopt now? The 6-3-3-4 still remains the best and refusing to address the failure of government to properly project population growth and increase in demand for quality education is pathetic in my opinion.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by kcjazz(m): 1:44am On Oct 06, 2010
We like to adopt a system without putting the work. Yes 6-3-3-4 has failed but its not because of the system, it is in its implementation. First question Is As a country[b]where do we want to be in 20 years?[/b] Until the government answers that question we can't achieve anything.
We need a scholarship system that works, a curriculum change, research center, reinvigorate the gifted school program and training for our teachers.
Lets try something like this
5- Primary education*
3- Junior Secondary*
2- Technical*
3- Senior secondary
3- for most art courses except of course Law, Accountancy, Medicine and few others

The first three are compulsory for every one. The technical education aspect exposes students to practice in the field (since Polytechnics are not respected) Learning and exposure includes 1 or 2 of IT, farming,mechanics,plumbing,carpentry with a choice of adding sports like soccer, boxing and athletics.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by CGKing(m): 2:40am On Oct 06, 2010
I thought he'd critically analyse it to us all so we see where the flaws are. i mean why has it failed? Abeg leave this Jonathan.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Princek12(m): 2:46am On Oct 06, 2010
The  6 3 3 4 system is fine as it is. The basic problem lies in not upgrading the public school infrastructure, and hiring unqualified teachers. However, one model that I think we should adopt in Nigeria is the admission system to professional schools in the United States. In the United States, you can only be admitted to medical school, law school, pharmacy school, among other professional schools, after you complete your undergraduate degree rather than direct admission from secondary school, like it is Nigeria. That way, people have four years of undergraduate study within which to decide whether professional school is right for them, and professional schools can matriculate candidates who have proved themselves in a more competitive forum than secondary school. I also think you are more matured after four years of undergraduate schooling, which prepares you better for the rigorous program of professional school.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by tpiah: 3:37am On Oct 06, 2010
you can only be admitted to medical school, law school, pharmacy school, among other professional schools, after you complete your undergraduate degree rather than direct admission from secondary school, like it is Nigeria.

^^they changed all that some years ago.

in nigeria now, you need a prior degree before you can get into med school.

i think it also applies to law as well, and pharmacy though i'm not sure.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:19am On Oct 06, 2010
Princek12:

The  6 3 3 4 system is fine as it is. The basic problem lies in not upgrading the public school infrastructure, and hiring unqualified teachers. However, one model that I think we should adopt in Nigeria is the admission system to professional schools in the United States. In the United States, you can only be admitted to medical school, law school, pharmacy school, among other professional schools, after you complete your undergraduate degree rather than direct admission from secondary school, like it is Nigeria. That way, people have four years of undergraduate study within which to decide whether professional school is right for them, and professional schools can matriculate candidates who have proved themselves in a more competitive forum than secondary school. I also think you are more matured after four years of undergraduate schooling, which prepares you better for the rigorous program of professional school.

its a very good system and i think we shld adopt it, it will certainly reduce the mad rush that JAMB has become. Many pple in our med schools today have no business being there.

tpiah:

^^they changed all that some years ago.

in nigeria now, you need a prior degree before you can get into med school.

not true pls. Enough of misinforming pple.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by tpiah: 4:30am On Oct 06, 2010
^^you wish it werent true.

look, i know you're still smarting from the correction you got the other day.

suck it up or if you like, dont.

it's your life.

whiny men are annoying.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:34am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

^^you wish it werent true.

look, i know you're still smarting from the correction you got the other day.

suck it up or if you like, dont.

it's your life.

Its just flat out untrue. All you need to study for an MBBS in Nigeria is a good JAMB score and SSCE result.

Isnt it tiring to have idiots populating the board making noise and claiming to "correct" others?

and as regards the comment on "whinny men" . . . we both know that's just an attempt to be spiteful. It has no basis in reality. Correcting a blatant untruth is what this is about . . . stick to the issues. If you have proof that your claim is true, you can simply prove it here rather than bleating . . . it seems the women here assume they can gloss over the nonsense they spew by competing on who can throw the most spiteful words.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by tpiah: 4:36am On Oct 06, 2010
you never diasappoint with the back and forth.

i know you can do this for the next five days, so i'll leave you to it.

try your usual flame tactic of igbo women vs yoruba women and maybe that might get a response from me?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:37am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

you never diasappoint with the back and forth.

i know you can do this for the next five days, so i'll leave you to it.

That's because you have no proof for your useless claim. Even the last 2010 UME had provisions for students matriculating into medical schools in Nigeria.

Just typing nonsense . . .
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:39am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

try your usual flame tactic of igbo women vs yoruba women and maybe that might get a response from me?

1. Absurd . . . i cant even remember the last time i was a part of such an issue here.

2. That is not the issue, i suppose it shldnt take so long to substantiate your false claim. I wonder why you'd rather post on issues that are not germane to the thread.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:40am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

^^[size=14pt]they changed all that some years ago.[/size]

[size=14pt]in nigeria now, you need a prior degree before you can get into med school.[/size]

This kind of lies are just nauseating. Folks posting without verifying their facts.
It is NOT true for medical schools - my brother was at Unilag for a yr and he was only 17 fresh out of secondary school.
The claim is only true for law schools (it is however NOT true that it only changed "some yrs ago"wink . . . you always had to finish a first degree in law (straight out of secondary school) then proceed to the Nigerian Law School for 2 yrs before a call to bar.

The claim is flat out FALSE for pharmacy as well.

When are we going to have folks who truly KNOW what they post around here? All we have are just fulminating illiterates. you only need to take a peek at the education board here with prospective medical students talking about JAMB to debunk this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Se Versus Sw,good And Healthy Competition,no Bashing,please.-obamaofusa / Nigeria Must Decide What It Wants From The Igbo / Dalung Breaks Ramadan Fast With Mohammed Bello, FCT Minister (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.