Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,060 members, 7,814,648 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner (9311 Views)

‘I’ve Accepted My Fate’ — Sunday Igboho Speaks From Beninoise Prison / Beninoise Appeal Court Grants Sunday Igboho Access To Medical Care / Beninoise Policemen Disperse Igboho's Supporters, Journalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Blue3k(m): 10:36pm On Jun 21, 2019
By Eromosele Abiodun

The effort to facilitate trade and speedy clearance of cargo in Nigeria's busiest land border will be revved up soon as the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) and its Beninoise counterpart have taken delivery of a new cargo scanning machine donated by the European Union (EU) at the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) joint border post, Seme-Krake.

Valued at about N8.1 billion, the scanner is said to be an upgrade on the old fixed scanner at the cost of N3.54 billion and installed by the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA) in 2013.

Addressing journalists at the border post, the Controller, Seme Area Command of the NCS, Comptroller Muhammed Uba, said the scanner, which is currently being test-run, would be maintained by ECOWAS for two years.

He said Customs officers of both countries have been trained on how to read images from the scanner, stating that when operational, it would facilitate trading activities at the border post.

He said with the deployment of the scanner, Customs would only subject goods to physical examination only when in doubt of scanned image.

"Officers have been trained; both Benin and Nigeria Customs Service along with other agencies who are on the stage in the cargo clearance process. The scanner is bought by the European Union for both Nigeria and Benin. All types of trucks will be passing through the scanner and officers who have been trained will read the images and whatever is inside the truck, the officers will know. In any case where the image is not clear, the truck will be subjected to 100 per cent physical examination," he said.

Meanwhile, he has announced the seizure of 175 pieces of textiles materials worth N2.2 million smuggled into the country from Benin Republic.

Mohammed, who paraded the items at Seme border, also said the Command generated the sum of N2.62 billion from March till date, while intensified operations by the enforcement unit have drastically reduced smuggling activities to the barest minimum.

Mohammed said about 8,304 bags of 50kg foreign rice, which is equivalent to over 14 trucks load of rice worth N89 million were also seized, while another 71 cartons of expired food seasonings worth N458,109, and 336 cartons of alcoholic drinks worth N5 million were intercepted during the period.

Others are, "31 X 25litres Jerry Cans of vegetable oil worth N269,911; 35 X 50kg Bags of sugar, N444,785; 138 x 25litres of PMS, worth N212,100 and 71 Cartons of Expired Food Seasonings worth N458,109. 175 pieces of 6 Yards of Textiles worth N2.24million, 15 sacks of used clothes N677,486 and 28 cartons of Medicament, N1,083,978 and 410 sacks of School bags worth N13.2million. Also, 2,000 cartons of Expired Biscuits, N7,742,700 and another truck loaded with 493 packs of Baby Diapers worth N4.1million, "he said.

Mohammed also disclosed that "1,582 parcels of Cannabis Sativa found concealed in an Indomie truck; and another notable arrest of 55 parcels of same Cannabis Sativa concealed in a Sienna bus. A total of 1,686 parcels were arrested (with street value worth of over N30 million) for the period under review.

"As part of our community service, the Customs Comptroller General, directed that a total of 25,000 bags of foreign parboiled rice (equivalent of 42 trailer trucks), 650 bags of Sugar, 150 cartons of tin tomato, 150 bags of flour, and 250 kegs of vegetable oil were transferred to the Nigeria Army Corps of Supply and Transport (NACST) between the month of April and May, for onward delivery to Yobe State Government, Damaturu for distribution to IDPs in the state.

"A total of 11 vehicles have also been seized notable among them are Toyota Highlander (2005), Range Rover (2007), Toyota Rav 4 (2006), Toyota Venza (2010) and others with combined duty paid value of N46.1million" he stated, adding that six suspects were arrested during the period under review."

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/06/21/eu-supports-nigeria-beninoise-customs-with-n8-1bn-scanner/
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Acjohn(m): 10:40pm On Jun 21, 2019
Na only Hausa dey custom, most of the controllers in North and south have Hausa names or am I missing something?

16 Likes

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Blue3k(m): 10:58pm On Jun 21, 2019
Its great to see Nigeria moving into 21st century. These new scanners will cut delivery time across the border. The guardian reported thousands of trucks were backed uo because of physical checkd. The current issues will be corrupt officials and multiple checkpoints. If everything goes right lower prices for everyone.

It's interesting to note the customs donates siezed rice to IDPs. It shows theirs nothing wrong with rice. I dont know why the customs boss made that claim knowing this.

Check out the vice documentary on West African Truckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFEoWwDvxY

1 Like

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Nbote(m): 11:14pm On Jun 21, 2019
Wetin wan pass go still pass
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by itsme01: 4:40am On Jun 22, 2019
cool

Smart move by EU, Nigeria is a major transit country for all sort of drugs from opium coming from afghan and Persian countries to south Americas crack cocaine

1 Like

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Thunday1005(m): 4:40am On Jun 22, 2019
wink
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by karma2000: 4:45am On Jun 22, 2019
Ultimate karma of smugglers have arrived

1 Like 1 Share

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Nobody: 4:49am On Jun 22, 2019
Good move. Hope it gets deployed.
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by ZombiePUNISHER: 4:51am On Jun 22, 2019
they will sell it off

Trust the thieves at your own peril

1 Like 1 Share

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Dengoh(m): 4:51am On Jun 22, 2019
Make we no hear say the thing stop working after two weeks O. I no trust my country people.

2 Likes

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Julius2214(m): 5:06am On Jun 22, 2019
Please read this, it might be of importance to you or someone u know.
https://www.nairaland.com/4997630/

I am a web designer.
With over 4 years of experience, I can design any kind of website you want.... And at cheaper rates too.
Do u need a business website, an e-commerce or online shopping website, a music and/music download website, a blog, a courier company website, a news website... etc.
Look no further, visit this link to view my previous design and how to connect with me.
https://www.nairaland.com/4997630/
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Godhead4(m): 5:10am On Jun 22, 2019
cry
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Grace001: 5:12am On Jun 22, 2019
b
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Blue3k(m): 5:12am On Jun 22, 2019
Mohammed also disclosed that "1,582 parcels of Cannabis Sativa found concealed in an Indomie truck; and another notable arrest of 55 parcels of same Cannabis Sativa concealed in a Sienna bus. A total of 1,686 parcels were arrested (with street value worth of over N30 million) for the period under review.

Nigerians have an insatiable appetite for this plant. If the government legalized it they would be making billions in tax revenue. NASS should look into the issue. I would also like a noipolls to conduct opinion survey on it.

1 Like

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by ablelin: 5:21am On Jun 22, 2019
hi
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by martineverest(m): 5:54am On Jun 22, 2019
Blue3k:

Nigerians have an insatiable appetite for this plant. If the government legalized it they would be making billions in tax revenue. NASS should look into the issue. I would also like a noipolls to conduct opinion survey on it.
u only see advantage but u failed to see the disadvantages,which are numerous

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by arstot(m): 6:26am On Jun 22, 2019
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by helinues: 6:28am On Jun 22, 2019
It changes nothing.. Abi no be Ilakoji/Idi Iroko border
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Dantedasz(m): 6:42am On Jun 22, 2019
Acjohn:
Na only Hausa dey custom, most of the controllers in North and south have Hausa names or am I missing something?

Apapa,Tin can,Onne,Seme FOU,zone A,The strike forcesand all the lucrative commands in the South are controlled by them. The agenda continues and Colonel Hameed Alli is carrying it out to the last letter.
The way Alli is carrying out his fake reforms agenda,the Northerners are being positioned and empowered to head all lucrative commands and areas in the customs for the next 50 years.
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by LarryBee1k: 7:41am On Jun 22, 2019
All I see is politics! Mehn! Who remembered it was only Benin and Nigeria that didn't sign China free trade? So they gave them something as compensation or something to check out Chinese products and cut them out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Nobody: 8:17am On Jun 22, 2019
The EUs are covering their own backs rather grin Nigerian and benin can still sabotage the scanners.

1 Like

Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:49am On Jun 22, 2019
Nbote:
Wetin wan pass go still pass

Lass Lass, no be so guy man stroll enter Niger from Sokoto comot with spaghetti.

Still waka pass Benin through Seme smuggle car sef..
Re: West Africa: EU Supports Nigeria, Beninoise Customs With N8.1 Billion Scanner by Blue3k(m): 4:51pm On Jun 22, 2019
LarryBee1k:
All I see is politics! Mehn! Who remembered it was only Benin and Nigeria that didn't sign China free trade? So they gave them something as compensation or something to check out Chinese products and cut them out.

Nah I dont think its that. The EU helped fund the new Seme-Krate border post to begin with. Im guessing this was already in the works.

(1) (Reply)

Shi’ites Deny Suspending Their Protests (Video) / My Writings And Okonjo-Iweala - Sacked NEMA Spokeman / ISWAP Attacks Dikwa Town In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.