Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed (37718 Views)

How Can I Fight Depression? / Please Help My Best Friend Fight Depression / Depression In Nigeria: Why You Need Not To Quit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by deebrain(m): 8:02am On Jun 23, 2019
Built2last:
Depression is a spirit that starts with talking to your head. Once you keep quiet, suicide is the last stage

Totally true
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by AngelicBeing: 8:03am On Jun 23, 2019
Mizwisdom:

My entire lineage are Ode, I am also an ode, shege yariska, Dan banza, ni karuwa ce
Ok grin
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Mizwisdom(f): 8:04am On Jun 23, 2019
AngelicBeing:
I'm a big fool grin

I don't agree sir
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Indomie001: 8:07am On Jun 23, 2019
Michaelkings:
How I wish I died earlier this year,life is too boring,i wish I am dead
Just when I think I have seen it all shocked

....but you wont die brother , hold on there , it ll be well soon , I do think negative at time but I wont attempt suicide, mine is job . Its very frustrating to be jobless but still no matter what yours is , lets hold on , keep trying and things LL be alright soon.
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by AngelicBeing: 8:07am On Jun 23, 2019
Mizwisdom:

My mother died a horrible death because she was mad and I will also follow die and my carcass will be eaten by vultures
cheesy
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Notatribalist(m): 8:07am On Jun 23, 2019
yomi007k:

How do you fight yours?
These days fighting is not even easy for me. embarassed
My brother i am fighting by not given up..just don,t give up thats it.try join some support group on facebook,
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Mizwisdom(f): 8:09am On Jun 23, 2019
AngelicBeing:
cheesy my mother is a hoe, I'm also a bastard
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Efegoma(m): 8:10am On Jun 23, 2019
Michaelkings:
How I wish I died earlier this year,life is too boring,i wish I am dead
FIND A REASON TO LIVE !!!!
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Indomie001: 8:12am On Jun 23, 2019
ImpregnaTor:
my own advice is, the best way to fight depression is to:
1) take snipercin' 40ml and hypodine 25ml;
recommended dose is once daily;
if symptoms persist for 5hrs an extra dose is also recommended, which is likely not.

NOTE: An overdose is recommended in case of acute depression, infact for a more serious depression, taking the full bottle of snipercin' is mostly recommended' for effective and quick relief.
I see no joke in this but purely insensitive, people are passing through many unimaginable things bro !

2 Likes

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Indomie001: 8:17am On Jun 23, 2019
Lovelyn451:
Nigerians are happy people, only lack of money and love can make them depressed kowai...me sef I'm currently depressed, only 1m can get me out of it >sad
I ll be fine with half of that >sad
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by SOFTENGR: 8:24am On Jun 23, 2019
B1ak3:

I'm not sure I agree with you there because if that's true, then why do some rich people also commit suicide?

Also, All I see in the picture you posted, are two stupid parents that are endangering the life of their child for no apparent reason. Which begs the question, how does it relate to the point you are trying to make?
Some of the rich people are seriously in debts. Some are already bankrupt and are ashamed to be seen as poor people.
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by AngelicBeing: 8:39am On Jun 23, 2019
Mizwisdom:
You mean that your mom was raped by a lunatic and the product was mizfoolish
Ok
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Mizwisdom(f): 8:41am On Jun 23, 2019
AngelicBeing:
I'm proudly a slot's son smiley
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by AngelicBeing: 8:43am On Jun 23, 2019
Mizwisdom:
I am living with an everlasting curse and I will die from a fatal accident this week and my brain will be spilled all over the road
grin

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 23, 2019
information1:
What is Depression?

In my definition, it refers to the state of your feelings to things, the way you think and how you reacted to the situation around you. Although Its something you can treat yourself.

What Causes Depression; there series of things that can leads to being depressed, Depression causes feelings of sadness and a loss of interest in something you once enjoyed.
Top 7 Causes of Depression

1. Drugs

2. Stressful Life Events

3. Death or a loss Of loved ones

4. Genetics

5. Serious illnesses

6. Other personal problems

7. Lack of Mush Sex

According to Ozy.com report; On Depression in Nigeria

Nigeria is by far Africa’s most depressed country already, with 7 million people diagnosed with the condition, according to WHO. … The National Depression Report, conducted by Joy, Inc., surveyed people about their feelings of happiness and Depression across Nigeria’s 36 states.

What To Do When Depressed? (READ)

On almost every social media heart breaks I thought this was due to lack of financial stability, but then I saw a lecturer following the route, it dawn on me that it was never about money. Depression is a, and it has a lot to do with every area of our life…starting from the everyday decisions we make, the attitude of people around us, how often we hear the word NO, and much more.

But for whatever reason, suicide should never be an option! Killing yourself means you’re a failure, a coward, an ingrate, a careless, a thoughtless, visionless, purposeless, and a very selfish person!

There is always a wide range of alternatives, options, and solutions to your depression rather than killing yourself.

If you think you’re poor, you’re not the poorest; if you think you’re rich, you’re not the richest; if you think you’re pretty, you’re not the most beautiful; if you feel you have problems, you will sober when you hear the problem of others. Whatever situation you are in life, there are always millions of people behind you! The fact that you don’t know or see others with the same problem doesn’t mean you’re the only one in the world who have such issues.

If you ever thought of suicide, you’ve only decided to transfer your problems or depression to others; you didn’t solve the problem!

1. What about the people who are supposed to look up to you?
2. What happens to the people you suppose to help succeed in life?
3. How about the people you’re supposed to be there for?
4. What happens to all of these people when you’re dead?

Before you think about suicide once again, bear it in mind that you’re only creating additional problems with the one on the ground. Be a survivor, look for solutions, seek alternatives, change location, talk to people, and stop isolating yourself!

There is a gazillion of ways to solve a problem, why create more and suffer your family by committing suicide instead of solving the problem and proof to everyone you’re a winner and not a loser? You can’t win if you quit remembering? Victory is not for quitters! Wake up and bounce back! You can do it! You’re strong! You’re courageous! Don’t allow your memory to be erased and replaced with negative thoughts! There is a talent buried in you, dig it up, and show the world!

We need you and your family needs you more!
https://talkgeria.com/fight-depression-when-depressed/
Money is my cause of depression, no job, yet I manage to come online, applying for opportunity, yet no feedback. I'm really tired. It look as if power of high place don't want me to ever live. The funny thing is, my rent go expired by Sept, as I one do. This life shall
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by pacespot(m): 9:28am On Jun 23, 2019
depression is mostly caused by attitude of Nigerians towards one another, if someone is telling you the only way to cure depression in Nigeria is to mingle with others, I tell you it is a big fat lie, in most cases, it will even worsen your situation. You need to learn how to live by yourself, lonely or not, and be happy doing that. Find something that inspires you within, maybe it is a business idea you are nursing, a daily routine you embark on that helps building your dreams into reality, don't forget that hardworks also play a part in your state of mind, don't be too lazy. keep your body fit (exercise often), cultivate a healthy diet (you don't have to be rich to do this, eat a lot of fruits), your physical health has a way of manifesting itself emotionally which causes depression.

The reason why I said you should not keep your hope on others to solve depression is that Nigerians have this uncanny way of viewing life which pushes people to do desperate things. Unless you are financially okay, you will find yourself being a subject of many degrading treatments by others. It is good to find your inner strength that even when things are rough outside you will find something inside that keeps you going. That doesn't mean you should not have one or two trusted friends, but you should not rely your hope on that. Imagine a guy I knew from my hometown I met recently, we haven't seen each other for more than 10 years but just few minutes into our conversation he started asking for money. He only cares about my pocket, right? but same is applied to everyone out there. this is why this country is so tough to live in for a normal thinking person. Everybody is just like a vulture waiting to devour you. This leads to breakdown in the value system and causes outbreak that we are seeing in depression.

That's my take!

1 Like

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by FemiEddy(m): 9:35am On Jun 23, 2019
AngelicBeing:
The current economic situation in Nigeria is one of the main causes of depression, millions of Nigerians have lost hope in the country due to insecurity, hunger, kidnapping, cultism, ritualism, robbery, senseless killings all over the country, unemployment, starvation etc a hungry man is an angry man, hunger > anger > frustrated > hopeless > thinking > suicidal thoughts > depression angry
And unfortunately we worship religion

1 Like

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by AngelicBeing: 9:43am On Jun 23, 2019
FemiEddy:
And unfortunately we worship religion
l agree with you, don't you see that online miscreant called Mizwisdom aka mizfoolish who claims to be a holy girl on Nairaland but has been trolling me for months especially on the travel section of Nairaland.com, she was disgraced by another Nairaland.com member based in China, the guy openly told the dimwit off, and she started stalking me, whenever you point out the ills in Nigeria, she gets offended, I told her that I am not interested in her even if she offers herself for free, lf she wants a job, l can either tell her to go mop my house in Nigeria or l recommend her to be a nanny to any of my friends based in the diaspora, I am not and will never be interested in her in 500 trillion years, if my comments hurts her, I don't give a fvck grin
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by B1ak3: 9:46am On Jun 23, 2019
SOFTENGR:

Some of the rich people are seriously in debts. Some are already bankrupt and are ashamed to be seen as poor people.

Stop trying to defend a point that is obviously flawed
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Ugosample(m): 9:53am On Jun 23, 2019
AngelicBeing:
Buzz off, fúçk off, you daughter of jezebel, trolling men on Nairaland to give you peanuts, the same way you trolled the other guy based in China and he disgraced you in travel section that he is not interested in your whorish life, and you have carried your smelling body trolling me, If you don't back off from me on Nairaland, l will disgrace your miserable life, go hawk your rotten body at different clubs in Nigeria , I am not interested in you, continue trolling my comments, l don't even know if you exist and neither will l succumb to what you want, l am not on Nairaland looking for a woman and even if I want a woman, you don't qualify to mop my house in Nigeria
as far as I am concerned, you are a write off and a disgrace to humanity , now run along, go end your maggot infested life, rubbish .

cc Ugosample / Beautyaddy, you people should warn this demented miscreant that is bleeding all over my comments to back off from me or else I will disgrace her on this platform, l am not interested in her, Na by force, I say l am not interested and I will never be interested in you in a trillion years angry

Dayum

this was too harsh
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Ugosample(m): 9:55am On Jun 23, 2019
AngelicBeing:
The current economic situation in Nigeria is one of the main causes of depression, millions of Nigerians have lost hope in the country due to insecurity, hunger, kidnapping, cultism, ritualism, robbery, senseless killings all over the country, unemployment, starvation etc a hungry man is an angry man, hunger > anger > frustrated > hopeless > thinking > suicidal thoughts > depression angry

u have said it all
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Adewale1603(m): 9:56am On Jun 23, 2019
Platony:

Many people dat dies because of Depression are people who do not consume alcohol or smokes.

How I wan take depress na wen there's a chilled Heineken, Life or 33 lager beer with better music. If I come get better data for phone join be say Na Depression itself go dey depressed about my joy. grin grin

I wonder why people prefer drinking Sniper to a chilled bottle of beer. undecided

Na God go bless d person wey invent Beer!! grin grin grin
werey re oo
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Albinoflash(m): 9:59am On Jun 23, 2019
Well for me i think i have been sad all my life,neva have i been lucky in this life since i was born.dats what depression is all about
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by AngelicBeing: 10:02am On Jun 23, 2019
Ugosample:

Dayum

this was too harsh
She deserves it, she has been stalking me all over Nairaland.com at different sections, since that guy based in China told her off few weeks ago because of her constant trolling on the guy, she shifted her dirty smelling body trolling me, l am not interested in her in the next 500 trillion years, l don't even know if she exist but I am fully ready for her stupidity henceforth on Nairaland angry
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Ugosample(m): 10:06am On Jun 23, 2019
PotatoSalad:
Rule no 1 for The Average Nigerian Youth
If you don't have money in your bank account that makes you smile when you look at it, RUN AWAY FROM INSTAGRAM!

The glamorous lifestyles exhibited there are enough to send you to chronic depression straight up.

What to do when depressed.
From Experience
Take a walk (This is the most ideal remedy)
Leave your house at 7pm, walk till your legs feel like they can't carry your weight. The night atmosphere and scenery is enough to drown your problems temporary.
Don't walk into a moving truck. I no dey o

If you have money but still depressed, Take the weekend off. (Friday evening to Sunday evening). Spoil yourself.
When I say Spoil yourself, I mean go get that thing you love. If it's food you love, go have it. Don't look at the cost. Just spend that money on you alone. Don't take anyone with you!
You'll gain instant gratification but helps in the long run.

Hit the gym
Get a gym membership. Endorphins are released when you exercise and they make you feel great. No need to emphasize on this.

Eat healthy.
Junk foods fuel your depression and put your health at risk honestly. Eat healthy. Fruits and veggies should be in your daily diet. Drink more water.

Get yourself a video game.
PS4, Xbox, switch, it doesn't matter. Just take a few hours daily and play. It'll divert your attention to other things

Try to do something that you dont love twice a week.
Learn something new. Say you're a guy and don't have any interest in music, go and take guitar lessons twice a week. You don't want it but you have to do it.

These steps helped me alot and I don't have depression anymore

Lastly, if you don't have money, live according to your means. Don't do things because others are doing. You no get car, no problem. Life na turn by turn. If you no get today no mean say u no fit get tomorrow. If your mates dey marry and no man don tell you hello, relax. Instead of sulking indoors, leave that house. I met my current girlfriend at the gym. You don't know what's going to happen the next minute.

I've been to the States and Europe and I'll tell you that there's more to this beautiful life than whatever you're going through.
Keep doing your thing and stay focused.
your statement on instagram was SPOT ON

The kind of things posted there may make one who is still struggling to put his life together to think he IS a failure and is missing out.

1 Like

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Flashlaundry(m): 10:17am On Jun 23, 2019
Talk to someone you love
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by yomi007k(m): 10:36am On Jun 23, 2019
Notatribalist:
My brother i am fighting by not given up..just don,t give up thats it.try join some support group on facebook,
I don't mind the support group. What are the names?
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Notatribalist(m): 11:02am On Jun 23, 2019
yomi007k:
I don't mind the support group. What are the names?
Depression and Anxiety support
..I am not so sure if I get the name right,because they are many, and some are better than others..you can send me your Facebook name then I will add you
Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by charlsecy(m): 11:29am On Jun 23, 2019
information1:
Killing yourself means you’re a failure, a coward, an ingrate, a careless, a thoughtless, visionless, purposeless, and a very selfish person!
This is crap and ignorant. These words of yours are like a person condemning a mad man for picking trash in the gutters, or eating thrown-away food. You're just like a person saying, "this mad man is so dirty. Can't he just take a bath?

1 Like

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by Notatribalist(m): 11:30am On Jun 23, 2019
AngelicBeing:
l agree with you, don't you see that online miscreant called Mizwisdom aka mizfoolish who claims to be a holy girl on Nairaland but has been trolling me for months especially on the travel section of Nairaland.com, she was disgraced by another Nairaland.com member based in China, the guy openly told the dimwit off, and she started stalking me, whenever you point out the ills in Nigeria, she gets offended, I told her that I am not interested in her even if she offers herself for free, lf she wants a job, l can either tell her to go mop my house in Nigeria or l recommend her to be a nanny to any of my friends based in the diaspora, I am not and will never be interested in her in 500 trillion years, if my comments hurts her, I don't give a fvck grin
I really don't know what the girl did to you that warrant all the insult you throw at her,but that's really not my business.. But the part were u said she picks offense whenever you state the ill in or off Nigeria caught my attention.. My brother I personally think the way you talk about Nigeria is actually out off order.. I believe if you channel the energy into finding a solution to Nigeria's problem it won't take long befor you come up with a solution.. Judging by your write up it's obvious you have been out off Nigeria, so do you mean all the other countries have everything smooth? Let me tell you the truth,online ranting won't solve Nigeria's problem.our bad leaders are not on Nairaland, they don't read your comments.. Again let me say this to you that Nigeria's economy is not the worste on earth..Many African countries have it worse,Ghana is an example .but you will never see any Ghanaian speaking ill of Ghana on social Media. They know they have problem, and they are committed to finding a solution rather than ranting online.. Anytime you see a Ghanian come online to talk about Ghana it usually about how peaceful Ghana is unlike Nigerians..But the truth is Ghana is no longer as peaceful as it sound,but their media and the people of Ghana will never come online to say this..For example, if you walk at circle round about at night you may likely get robbed..Kumasi and Kasoa are worse, there are bad guys everywhere robbing people off their belongings.. Pls change my bro.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed by sweetilicious(f): 11:45am On Jun 23, 2019
chibu4u2:
Avoid isolation and try confiding or opening up to ur parents/loved ones. Shikina!!
In my own case,I developed an attachment to my family.Always running home to be with them.No one knew what I was going through but I got better being around people that genuinely loved me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Funny Answers To Common Nigerian silly Questions / How To Send P.m,quote,make Bold E.t.c / I present to you MY HERO!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.