Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,749 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? (3297 Views)

My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job / Between Canada �� And USA Which Is Better ? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by DrCollins218: 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
Good evening Guys, please I have this medical doctor friend of mine who wants to migrate to either Canada or USA but he's confused on the best possible move to make between the two Countries as he intends to continue his medical practice wherever he migrates to. What are the requirements to practice medicine/ getting residence placement in both countries and between the two countries which of them is easier to practice medicine / getting residence placement in terms of the requirements involved?

Experienced Doctors from Nigeria practicing in both countries please contribute on this thread and may God bless you. Thanks
@justwise
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by tolugar: 4:43pm On Jun 23, 2019
Canada

US don full
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by salford1: 4:46pm On Jun 23, 2019
This is comon knowledge and your friend should know. It's easier to get into the system in the US (easier to get a residency after passing the qualifying exams), there are more specialization, better working conditions, and you get paid better.
My source: Friends practicing in both countries.

1 Like

Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by DrCollins218: 4:53pm On Jun 23, 2019
salford1:
This is comon knowledge and your friend should know. It's easier to get into the system in the US (easier to get a residency after passing the qualifying exams), there are more specialization, better working conditions, and you get paid better.

Thanks my Boss , please can the exams be taken in Nigeria prior before migrating?
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by sweetmelanin(f): 4:55pm On Jun 23, 2019
UK remains the best for practising Medicine.

4 Likes

Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by salford1: 4:57pm On Jun 23, 2019
DrCollins218:

Thanks my Boss , please can the exams be taken in Nigeria prior before migrating?
I do not think so. They all took the exams in the respective countries.
The ones in Canada took the exams after they got here as PR.
The ones in the US took the exams when they were Masters in Public Health students in the US.
The older Nigerian trained docs I have met in Canada came from either of these countries: from South Africa, UK and Republic of Ireland.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by DrCollins218: 4:59pm On Jun 23, 2019
sweetmelanin:
UK remains the best for practising Medicine.

Thanks but please give your reasons.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by BBYYOLA: 6:05pm On Jun 23, 2019
salford1:

The ones in the US took the exams when they were Masters in Public Health students in the US.
The older Nigerian trained docs I have met in Canada came from either of these countries: from South Africa, UK and Republic of Ireland.

Please how about Nurses. I really want to practice in either Canada or USA. I have a degree in Nursing. Thank you as I anticipate your response
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by DrCollins218: 6:26pm On Jun 23, 2019
salford1:

Thank you Sir, for your response.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Cyberknight: 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2019
Two of my siblings are doctors, and have doctor friends working in the UK, US and Canada.

US is easier than Canada.

Even though you didn't ask, UK is easiest of all the developed English-speaking countries, even with Brexit.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by salford1: 6:52pm On Jun 23, 2019
BBYYOLA:

Please how about Nurses. I really want to practice in either Canada or USA. I have a degree in Nursing. Thank you as I anticipate your response
I don't know if foreign trained nurses find it hard to break into the system in the US, but it's not difficult for them to practice in Canada. Only issue with Canada is that new nurses have to move to smaller cities/town to get stable jobs and better pay. There is an oversaturation of nurses in big Canadian cities.

As per practice..I cant say which country is best to practice; however, it is common for Canadian trained nurses to migrate to the US on TN visas, i believe due to the opportunity to work in different specilization.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by snowlordng(m): 10:53pm On Jun 23, 2019
salford1:

I don't know if foreign trained nurses find it hard to break into the system in the US, but it's not difficult for them to practice in Canada. Only issue with Canada is that new nurses have to move to smaller cities/town to get stable jobs and better pay. There is an oversaturation of nurses in big Canadian cities.

As per practice..I cant say which country is best to practice; however, it is common for Canadian trained nurses to migrate to the US on TN visas, i believe due to the opportunity to work in different specilization.
my mum is a public health nurse with over 10years work experience. ..how can be migrate to canada and which province will be ok for her
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by ttmacoy: 2:34am On Jun 24, 2019
No it's not and besides while its hard for both countries it's relatively easier in the US than Canada and more financially rewarding.

tolugar:
Canada

US don full

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by ocpaschal: 7:10pm On Dec 11, 2020
salford1:

Hello Sir! My brother will complete his studies on medicine (seeking to be a doctor) in Ukraine in 2021. I want to know if it is possible for him to be certified and be working in the US if he was travelling immediately after graduating from his studies - medicine, from Ukraine to America
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by ocpaschal: 7:16pm On Dec 11, 2020
Cyberknight:
Two of my siblings are doctors, and have doctor friends working in the UK, US and Canada.

US is easier than Canada.

Even though you didn't ask, UK is easiest of all the developed English-speaking countries, even with Brexit.

My brother is studying medicine in Ukraine with d desire to be a doctor, and he will graduate in 2021. He intends to travel direct from Ukraine to the USA to practice as a doctor. Is it possible for him to be get certified to practice as a doctor in the US and to work too
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Lordsagna: 10:22pm On Dec 11, 2020
ocpaschal:
My brother is studying medicine in Ukraine with d desire to be a doctor, and he will graduate in 2021. He intends to travel direct from Ukraine to the USA to practice as a doctor. Is it possible for him to be get certified to practice as a doctor in the US and to work too

your brother will have to sit for USMLE..... it's a three step exam, for him to get a placement for residency in the US or practice as medic.

1 Like

Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by ocpaschal: 10:58pm On Dec 11, 2020
Lordsagna:

your brother will have to sit for USMLE..... it's a three step exam, for him to get a placement for residency in the US or practice as medic.
Ok.... but does this mean my bro would write the 3 exams (USMLE) within one year? What is d full meaning of USMLE
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Lordsagna: 1:05am On Dec 12, 2020
ocpaschal:
Ok.... but does this mean my bro would write the 3 exams (USMLE) within one year? What is d full meaning of USMLE
not necessarily within one year.... the maximum year interval is 7yrs, bro make more research there are lot of USMLE group on Facebook and telegram, assuming we wanna practice in the UK he's writing PLAB..... note those afformentioned exams are quite expensive. USMLE step 1 almost cost like 1.2M or so not to talk of step 2ck , step 2 cs and finally step 3.
hope I've answered your questions?

1 Like

Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Cousin9999: 4:56am On Dec 12, 2020
The US is the highest paying for docs (and nurses), but Canada seems to be catching up. Seriously.

I don't know about daily life. I've heard being a healthcare professional can be quite demanding in Canada, but the same can be said for different parts of the US or UK.

Someone mentioned nursing. There are some nurses in America who complain about being overworked and underappreciated. Others talk about how easy their life is and how great a salary they have. I think it comes down to location, facility, and specialization. You can probably say the same for a doc.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by ocpaschal: 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2020
Lordsagna:

not necessarily within one year.... the maximum year interval is 7yrs, bro make more research there are lot of USMLE group on Facebook and telegram, assuming we wanna practice in the UK he's writing PLAB..... note those afformentioned exams are quite expensive. USMLE step 1 almost cost like 1.2M or so not to talk of step 2ck , step 2 cs and finally step 3.
hope I've answered your questions?
is it very necessary for my bro to get a recommendation letter from an American hospital thru a professional American Doctor that recommends him to work in a US hospital so as to make it more easier for him to enter the USA? will this give him more advantages?
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by morinto: 6:26pm On Dec 13, 2020
Canada is very hard or even impossible. USA is much easier but the exam u would write to get doctor licence is more than 5m and the exam is in three phrases. Advice is for him to work in UK then move to USA. He should forget canada

1 Like

Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Aquilapriscilla: 10:25am On Dec 15, 2020
ocpaschal:
is it very necessary for my bro to get a recommendation letter from an American hospital thru a professional American Doctor that recommends him to work in a US hospital so as to make it more easier for him to enter the USA? will this give him more advantages?

Bro I don't know much on this but this is my advise

1.the USMLE is not an exam you just wake up to write-it requires deliberate and strategic studies. It is also financially demanding. Your brother should do alot of research on the exam since he wants to write it.
2.the exam is made up of 3 steps
To work in the US as a doctor you need to pass the first step.
Some people go for a master's degree in the USA in a related field eg public health and as they are on it, they connect with people and find out more about the USMLE at the same time they are also preparing for the exams.

Seriously their a lot of things to know. Just Google
This videos might help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWlbbX6iT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTEsdkiNKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-588kddhNI

2 Likes

Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Lencer: 12:21am On Apr 29, 2021
Medicine has been replenished with mobile solutions that facilitate the work of practitioners, interns, and students of medical universities.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Heyllle(m): 6:47am On Apr 29, 2021
Hello everyone, when I was in college, I always tried to get additional information. By the way, I have never spent money on books, since all the necessary information is available on the Internet. I also took online courses at https://www.medicmind.co.uk/interview-online-course/ , and it was really very useful and useful to me in the future. I even knew the information that we were not given to study in college.
Re: Practicing Medicine In Canada Or USA Which Is Easier And Better?? by Cousin9999: 8:08am On Apr 29, 2021
Canada has lower average salaries for doctors, and they generally work harder. Qualifying isn't any easier or cheaper in one place.

He might end up being a nurse or physician assistant instead, and it's not a bad compromise.

(1) (Reply)

Expired Visas And Foreign Marriage / Just Before You Come To The UK For Studies! / Irish Visa Needed:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.