Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,576 members, 7,861,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:23 PM

Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians (3217 Views)

President Jonathan Wants Attahiru Jega Sacked - Sahara Reporters / Rochas Okorocha Asked To Apologize To The Igbos For Losing APC Primaries / Prof. Babs Fafunwa Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by AloyEmeka5: 8:21pm On Oct 06, 2010
[size=14pt]Jonathan wants Prof Fafunwa to apologize to Nigerians. I think he should be the one apologizing.[/size]

There was massive failure in Neco this year. I think more than half the students failed the examination. And in addressing the issue, the federal government or let's say Pres. Goodluck Jonathan has asked Professor Babatunde Fafunwa to apologize to Nigerians for the failure of the 6-3-3-4 system of education (6years in primary school, 3years in Junior Secondary School, another 3years in Senior Secondary and 4 years in a tertiary institution) that he introduced in 1982 while serving as the Minister of Education. Jonathan is blaming the failure of our education sector on that system.

SMH! Instead of dealing with the real issues, they are talking about a system. How is that the problem? It doesn't matter what you call it, if the foundation is messed up, everything else is messed up.

Do you know how much teachers are paid in Nigeria? Minimum wage! Please find out what the minimum wage in Nigeria is. If teachers are well paid, they will be motivated. + Many more people will join the profession. And if there’s competition, only the most qualified will get jobs. But these days, you will find that there are more students than teachers.

For my youth service, I taught in a secondary school, and I did witness first hand one teacher teaching two or more subjects. Maths teacher is English teacher is Social Studies teacher. WTH? Some subjects don’t even have teachers. But the students do the exams. What do we expect? No teacher/Half baked teachers can only produce half baked students. Thus, massive failure in exams.

[img]http://2.bp..com/_u3lFqBksmrE/TKyBQ71mW2I/AAAAAAAAiEI/GMa8si0fjTU/s400/04NigeriaIDI005.jpg[/img]

This Govt budgeted and spent over 6billion for the Independence Day celebration. Imagine if that money had been channeled towards something more meaningful - like increasing the salary of teachers, establishing more and equipping teacher training centers, providing free books to students, providing basic infrastructures needed to enhance education, like labs, libraries, computer rooms etc. How about organizing workshops and seminars for teachers and students on a regular basis?

There is no doubt that the standard of education in Nigeria has fallen drastically, but the thing is, for years, various solutions have been recommended; the only problem is – the govt don’t have their priorities right. They are more interested in embezzling money than funding education. Did you know that UNESCO recommended 25% of the nation’s budget for education? It sure as hell isn’t 25% in Naija.

Instead of dealing with the real problems, they are blaming the failure of our education sector on 6-3-3-4. A system that works for other developed countries. Now, they want to re-introduce the old system of 9-3-4. What’s the difference between that and 6-3-3-4? Maybe this re-structuring is a means to steal money? If they could spend 6billion for a-day celebration, imagine how much this 'revolution' will cost! N100 trillion perhaps?

http://lindaikeji..com/2010/10/jonathan-wants-prof-fafunwa-to.html
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Kay17: 8:42pm On Oct 06, 2010
Jonathan is just an assshoole, lacks vision, its luck, rather thancompetence he found himself in the presidency. the 6334 has failed for improper implementation.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by naso2(m): 8:44pm On Oct 06, 2010
Kay 17:

Jonathan is just an assshoole, lacks vision, its luck, rather thancompetence he found himself in the presidency. the 6334 has failed for improper implementation.

How did your northern candidates get there? competence? . mumu. So whose duty to factor the workability of a new educational system before introducing it? If implementation was not factored in before its introduction , then tell me why it was introduced?
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 06, 2010
This Jonathan of a guy appears clueless. What is he actually good at? We should look at what is wrong with our orientation and educational system. Who are the teachers? How qualified and motivated are they? Are the Abuja politicians not the modern day role models? What do the students do at home apart from watching home videos and chatting on phone? Jonathan is a typical example of the Nigerian teacher. A university professor who is hardly articulate in his reasoning and speech.

The fault is not in our gods but in ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by olafolarin(m): 12:35am On Oct 07, 2010
The 6-3-3-4 system is very intact but it's implementation(like every other meaningful policy in Nigeria) is the failure.
Recent failure in NECO and WAEC should be traced to lack of solid preparation by the students.
Students are being taught by incompetent teachers under severe and inconducive working conditions.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by AloyEmeka5: 12:39am On Oct 07, 2010
olafolarin:

The 6-3-3-4 system is very intact but it's implementation(like every other meaningful policy in Nigeria) is the failure.
Recent failure in NECO and WAEC should be traced to lack of solid preparation by the students.
Students are being taught by incompetent teachers under severe and inconducive working conditions.

Gbam.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by nex(m): 12:49am On Oct 07, 2010
There really is nothing wrong with the 6-3-3-4 system. That's what most of us passed through, and we did just fine.

Even Jonathan lectured in the same system, or so he claims. It's the Nigerian Factor that just tears down everything in its path.

I'm really yet to understand the statistics coming out of NECO and WAEC. Are they saying that less than 30% of candidates got the relevant 5 or 6 credits?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by tpiah: 12:57am On Oct 07, 2010
i smell the media at work again.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by olafolarin(m): 1:08am On Oct 07, 2010
In the last 10 years,One thing is consistent about NECO/WAEC takers: PERSISTENT FAILURE.
GEJ should just declare a state of emergency on education.Increase pass mark on every subject from it's current %(30) to something like 60%.More qualified uni teachers should be employed to replace those redundant NCE Holders.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by violent(m): 1:30am On Oct 07, 2010
No one is actually thinking---what about the students?. . .are they willing to learn?

and before folks start casting stones my way, take a chill pill and have a rethink, its convenient to blame the government for all kinds of woes, even though in most cases, this is true, we should sometimes learn to take a step backward to examine some of the root cause of the problems.

Take a walk into any preliminary school these days and ask an average kid what they'd like to become in future. . .you'd be met with a chorused "I want to be a rich man". . .what??

It doesn't make any much sense if the government build newer schools, and furnish such with the latest technology when kids wouldn't attend class anyway, and even if they do, such structures risk being burnt or severely damaged by students/pupils at slightest provocation. . .{yes, you heard me right, PUPILS}

All I'm stressing is, the rest of the society has a big role to play as well

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Fineone(m): 11:01am On Oct 07, 2010
The Presidential On Job Training for Gej is becoming too expensive, we cant afford to make more mistakes in a sector as important as education.
Oga Gej,
Phd.(pull him down)brilliance is not enough be INTELLIGENT and learn faster.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Fineone(m): 11:12am On Oct 07, 2010
The Presidential On Job Training for Gej is becoming too expensive, we can't afford to make more mistakes in a sector as important as the education sector.
Oga Gej,
Phd.(pull him down)BRILLIANCE is not enough, be INTELLIGENT!! and learn faster.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Kay17: 6:10pm On Oct 08, 2010
na_so:

How did your northern candidates get there? competence? . mumu. So whose duty to factor the workability of a new educational system before introducing it? If implementation was not factored in before its introduction , then tell me why it was introduced?
In Nigeria and on political issues, foools like the above poster, with their narrow minds; see matters thru the prism of who is a northerner and who is not. What does my ethnicity have to do with the failure of the education sector? Are federal schools better under Jonathan - NO! I still do not agree our leaders past had done anything useful.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by AkinEgba: 10:49pm On Oct 08, 2010
This is about targeting IBB. the 6-3-3-4 system was the brain child of IBB. Now Jonathan who has no single achievement to his name is stylishly attacking IBB through Fafunwa. Shame to the clueless fisherman that calls himself a president
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 08, 2010
Akin-Egba:

This is about targeting IBB. the 6-3-3-4 system was the brain child of IBB. Now Jonathan who has no single achievement to his name is stylishly attacking IBB through Fafunwa. Shame to the clueless fisherman that calls himself a president
He should start by telling us which school(s) his children attended or are attending, and where the school(s) is located.

[size=15pt]Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Azikiwe[/size] [size=15pt]| Awolowo Belewa[/size] soon to be appended = [size=15pt]Inconsistency inkor[b]poor[/b]ated![/size]
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by naijaking1: 11:40pm On Oct 08, 2010
Everybody agrees that IBB messed up with our educational system.
Remember when Jibril Aminu converted a significant portion of our federal budget into some form of normadic education? The list of damages to our system through Buhari, IBB, and Abacha are too numerous to count.
Some people even said it was a way of holding back the educationally advantaged south so that the north could catch-up.

However, in this era of north-south dichotomy, the President ought to have been more cautious in his speeches.
Why did he not ask the minister of education to address Fafunwa's tenure from an academic and realistic stand
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Nobody: 11:47pm On Oct 08, 2010
naijaking1:

Everybody agrees that IBB messed up with our educational system.
Remember when Jibril Aminu converted a significant portion of our federal budget into some form of normadic education? The list of damages to our system through Buhari, IBB, and Abacha are too numerous to count.
Some people even said it was a way of holding back the educationally advantaged south so that the north could catch-up.

However, in this era of north-south dichotomy, the President ought to have been more cautious in his speeches.
Why did he not ask the minister of education to address Fafunwa's tenure from an academic and realistic stand

This is exactly the problem. It appears as if the whole ministers are just static edifice, doing nothing. Although the president's job encompasses everything, but what are these ministers really doing?
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by naijaking1: 11:50pm On Oct 08, 2010
The president may actually have a big communication problem, because many things he has said off hand recently have come back to bite his butt.
Makes me wonder about his thought processes too angry
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by egift(m): 12:13am On Oct 09, 2010
In everything GEJ does and fails, he find someone around to blame for his failure. Tell me one single thing he accepted responsibility for?

When will Mr. President apologize to Nigerians for:
- The lack of seriousness that led to 1st October Bombing
- Siding with Militants against every other Nigerian
- Wasting 17billion in 1st October jamboree
- Spending Millions importing those plates bags of rice from Brazil
- telling us lies about the tragedy on 1st October

I seeeee, he will find someone else to blame for all those incidents grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by oge4real(f): 12:26am On Oct 09, 2010
Will the apology improve performance next year? What is the WAY FORWARD?
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by DrKitaun(m): 12:51am On Oct 09, 2010
Jonathan is a fat fool for his annoying comments . . .

Babs Fafunwa was my father's teacher in the 50's . . .where was GEJ then ?

rubbish and ingredients !!!

I am a graduate of the 6-3-3-4 system and I dare say the period brought more glory than any other to Nigeria, education wise . . .

the 6334 years were the years our schools were winning Olympiads, Q1uiz competitions and debates all over Africa, days when our students were dominating WAEC,  not these days of NECO where u have special centres spring up on every street in Oshodi, Mararaba, Ile Ife, Aba or Eleme  cry

I remember when I wrote JAMB the highest score nationwide was 288, if u got 200 be sure to have jollof rice cooked for u that nite  grin  grin

where was GEJ in the 6334 years ? wasnt it under this same time frame that he got his degrees ?

who is fooling who ?  shocked

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by naijaking1: 2:58am On Oct 09, 2010
^^^
No question GEJ attack on Fafunwa was a low blow.
He should have attacked IBB who was Fafunwa's boss. No need for our president to open a controversy with a former minister, what's next, attack a perm sec, or a clerk in the ministry for damaging the system
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by AloyEmeka5: 6:04am On Oct 09, 2010
naijaking1:

^^^
No question GEJ attack on Fafunwa was a low blow.
He should have attacked IBB who was Fafunwa's boss. No need for our president to open a controversy with a former minister, what's next, attack a perm sec, or a clerk in the ministry for damaging the system

Attack school principals and head masters for gross failure in teaching.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 09, 2010
hard for students to pass if they have to hawk to earn their school fees when they are out of school, hard to learn if all you've got are candles as source of light, hard to learn if you cant afford textbooks or the ones in the library are woefully out of date if your school is lucky enough to own one. Its even harder to learn if you've got trees for classroom, your "teacher" has to sell epa to make ends meet and ur school is perpetually on strike for unpaid teachers salaries. Imagine learning in an atmosphere where half your mates are hungry, ur teachers incompetent because no one else wants the job, your labs lack the most basic science equipment and u're cramped up in dilapidated buildings sitting more than double its actual capacity in stifling heat.

Jonathan Goodluck, Fafunwa has no apologies to make. Rather YOU and your ilk who care nothing to spend N6bn on a worthless fanfare to celebrate failure rather than investing in education are those who owe us an apology. The 6-3-3-4 system may not be the best but it produces countless nigerians who can stand up to their peers in foreign countries. This is chasing shadows as usual and if this is an example of who you are as a leader then i wonder why anyone is bothering to vote for a massively incompetent fraud like you.

As much as i dislike northern candidates . . . i would rather Nuhu Ribadu in office than you. At least he sounds intelligent.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by DrKitaun(m): 5:33pm On Oct 09, 2010
@Davidylan

Ribadu isnt any different !!!

I am a core party card-carrying member of AC (I WONT BE TOO MUCH IN A HURRY TO ADD THE 'N' grin) The reason why he has been hobnobbing with Tinubu should worry any sane mind. This is a person that was to prosecute Tinubu but instead started currying favour from Gani, Falana and Tinubu . . .na wao lipsrsealed

One thing is however sure, we dont have the structure that can upset the PDP structure yet, forget all these tigrish paper permutations armchair analysts are utting u every now and then on weblogs and even dailies.

More annoyingly, there is for now no one in the AC(N) that can even compete for the party slot, so I will be content with having Fashola's 2nd term and just maybe win a few more states - AMOSUN (OGUN), AJIMOBI (OYO), MIMIKO (ONDO) OSHIOMHOLE (EDO) FAYEMI (EKITI) . . . .anything other than this might be asking for too much grin

Ribadu is OBJ's offspring and likewise he has several questions to answer as to the selectiveness of the anti-corruption service he rendered . . .CZAR indeed embarassed

IBB isnt any worse off than any of the other gladiators, yes he was wrong in so many aspects but its only a fool that will argue that under IBB education suffered

only a fool will argue that things werent a lot more stable even with the people-oriented programs he started - DFFRI, SAP, BETTER LIFE . . .

I have seen teenagers come here lampooning him for these programs despite the fact that his government laid the very backbone for so many programmes that exist now - The GSM blueprint was an IBB plan, executed by OBJ,

OBJ'S ASCENDANCY TO POWER TOO WAS AN IBB PLAN grin

Jonathan doesnt sound any more intelligent than Abacha, am wondering whoever dashed him those doctorate degrees he flaunts . . .for a Presido he rants like a loose cannon and its pretty annoying that his comments depict how insecure he feels . . .maybe ASO ROCK has been demystified afterall grin
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Abagworo(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2010
And the man is dead now.May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 11, 2010
^^
He can send his apologies from the grave, or wherever the eff his right now.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by OmoTier1(m): 11:43pm On Oct 11, 2010
This is one big issue I have with the so called transition generation in Nigeria ( i.e those in their forties). They do not just get it! the 6-3-3-4 system needs total remodeling for these obvious reason:

The Nigerian child of today's generation is more open minded, exposed and quick to learn than the Nigeria child of say 30years ago (an obvious factor that comes with civilization/national development) hence the 6-3-3-4 system may keep that child longer in that 6 years bracket than necessary.

Finally since the introduction of the 6-3-3-4 system has there been any impact study and/or any social study to ascertain how the mental and physical development of the typical Nigerian child has changed over the last 20years? And if this system does help and/or will help that child to achieve his/her full potential as a result of these changes in the mental and physical development.

Most of the developed world has long thrown this model of education into the dust been of history and only recently when I embarked upon school teaching session for GCSE and A-Level students (in sciences) in the new city academies in England, I completely understood why Britain could no longer hold unto 6-3-3-4 model of education.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by MeGaStReEt: 1:51am On Oct 12, 2010
you people should allow this man to do his job ah ah, not our leaders this time, but why are nigerians like this
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 8:13am On Oct 12, 2010
Unfortunately the man that introduced nomadic education shocked shocked shocked(that should be the dumbest idea by a prof the world over) died yesterday and is therefore unable to apologise
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by omoabike: 10:32am On Oct 12, 2010
rasputinn:

Unfortunately the man that introduced nomadic education shocked shocked shocked(that should be the dumbest idea by a prof the world over) died yesterday and is therefore unable to apologise
What are you smoking? I think you should get off it for your own good. What is wrong with introducing nomadic education if the goal is to have no child left behind? If education is seen as an inalienable right of every child why should we attack any plan that take into account a child's socio-cultural environment in providing such right to him. Is it a crime to be a nomad? Why do you people use the opportunity of the anonymity that the internet provide to make unguided and moronic statements? It would be nice to know your alma mater to ascertain whether you really got a well rounded education.
Re: Jonathan Wants Fafunwa To Apologize To Nigerians by DrKitaun(m): 2:03am On Oct 13, 2010
rasputinn:

wetin dis one dey talk ? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Untold Story Of Slavery! / Bomb Blasts In Daura, Katsina State. / Where Is The 10,000 MEGAWATTS Electricity Promised By December 2013?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.