Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,568 members, 7,837,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? (23212 Views)

NNPC Or Coca-cola Interview About Russia Ukraine War / Just In: NNPC Staff Protest Unpaid Salaries / NNPC Drops 500 From Its Workforce For Failing Promotion Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by moyinoluwabun(m): 8:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
A bird at hand worths million in d bush

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Coolbueze: 8:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
pick a coin, tag the head and tail bank and nnpc respectively, flip the coin let your fate decide for you.

note: only apply this advice when you are sure you can't decide.
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by timiehyinshittu: 8:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
No risk, No reward...am a staff of one of the first generation banks and believe me..it ain't worth it...u can spend 5 years on DAT entry role without a promotion and constant insult cos u can't meet insane targets coupled with d fact DAT u get to look older than your age after a little while.. Mind u, all tru d 5 years,u will definitely not earn wat u will get in NNPC in 1 year..

Down side

NNPC interview might just b a formality ..the positions may already be reserved for the big bois..we all know how the federal employment allocation works...

But again... No risk,No reward

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by dryakson(m): 8:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
Discuss it with a friendly staff that u know will understands u
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 27, 2019
Village people sef.
Please don't go for the interview if you don't have recommendations from higher table. I have just been served akara with one Oluwole Thomas CV.

5 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by raydatluvs(m): 8:51pm On Jun 27, 2019
Mehn don't play yourself bad bro. Don't lose the bird in hand whilst trying to catch the one that would likely be shrouded be tribalism, favouritism and nepotism. It's not a fair risk, the selected might not even be based on merits. Guy, first bank is just as good a career start point. If you consider the cost, insecurity of going, you'll do yourself good focusing on first bank.

Btw, I also got the first bank role but I'm with the next batch and I got the interview invitation for nnpc which I intend attending for a different reason even. If I were in your shoes though, I would DEFINITELY stay back. It's is not worth the risk at all!!

Brother think!!

5 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 27, 2019
As you said, they may not buy excuses for those days. They may likely even let go of those of you who miss the training for that particular day.

As such, my advice is for you to hold on to what you already have. It's not lack of faith, it's wisdom. The prudent see danger and take cover.

All the best.

4 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Femich18(m): 8:51pm On Jun 27, 2019
A bird at hand worth 2 in the bush.
What's the assurance that you are gonna be employed at NNPC. There are still lot of stages of which you may not be lucky.
Its just a scenerio of chasing 2 rats and you may lose both.
I'll say stick to that Banking Job bro and let the NNPC interview go

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by mapet: 8:52pm On Jun 27, 2019
ornicus:
You cannot compare bank job to nnpc job. The benefits of an nnpc job far outweigh the best a bank can offer. And nnpc will be unionised to the end. Even your trainers would tell you to go for it.

If things don't change, as an NNPC staff, on retirement your last salary is your monthly pension till death...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by barbatee007(m): 8:53pm On Jun 27, 2019
Forget godfather or whatever in NNPC tho you can't entirely rule it out. NNPC only have a stage for interview after which you would be recruited if you pass.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Dolnar: 8:56pm On Jun 27, 2019
tosindami:

Thank you, but the funny thing is, most of my colleagues at the training school were shortlisted, and they intend attending the interview at the risk of losing the present appointment. Furthermore, the facilitators and management of the training school are aware of the NNPC interview. They won't buy the excuse.

I will advice.. Don't follow your friends... Follow your heart...

On the other hand as many have said... A bird at hand...

NNPC is so full of uncertainty... Will you risk a certainty for uncertainty ??

Brother.. Be wise...

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by castrokins(m): 8:57pm On Jun 27, 2019
This Is A Stupid Question
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by anonymous96: 8:59pm On Jun 27, 2019
Really tough choice.. But again, we are in Nigeria and all the stories we hear abt how the elite placed their family in jobs in CBN nd co shud make you wonder if the NNPC interview isn't just to fulfil all righteousness
On the other hand, you said some of your fellow trainees were shortlisted. If any of them gets the NNPC job while you skipped the interview, it would haunt u for a long time..As i said earlier,tough choice.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by salt1: 8:59pm On Jun 27, 2019
mapet:

Bros,

As someone in the Oil & Gas industry I will advise you to take your chances with NNPC, even if it means loosing out on the bank.

NNPC is a job that gives you stability and some opportunities to pursue both your career & academic endeavors without impacting your job. For example most serious & ambitious NNPC & CBN staff take advantage of the leave of absence structure to pursue abroad Masters & PhD. There salaries is not stopped while they are away, and NNPC picks your study bills.

For someone like you, whom I strongly believe is smart, even if you don't make the cut at the interview (which I strongly doubt), you are smart enough to get another bank job

Is that so?
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by talktrue1(m): 9:00pm On Jun 27, 2019
tosindami:

The interview is the last stage. Only those who passed the aptitude test were shortlisted for the interview.

This is the first interview and there maybe another interview after this.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by stickle(m): 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2019
Please go for the bank trainee job. Pray and God will guide you. I wish you luck
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Sleyanya1(m): 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2019
mapet:

Bros,

As someone in the Oil & Gas industry I will advise you to take your chances with NNPC, even if it means loosing out on the bank.

NNPC is a job that gives you stability and some opportunities to pursue both your career & academic endeavors without impacting your job. For example most serious & ambitious NNPC & CBN staff take advantage of the leave of absence structure to pursue abroad Masters & PhD. There salaries is not stopped while they are away, and NNPC picks your study bills.

For someone like you, whom I strongly believe is smart, even if you don't make the cut at the interview (which I strongly doubt), you are smart enough to get another bank job

This is the best logical advice you'd get. It's not time to listen to everyone's opinion because you'd get more confused. It'll remain a debate.

Now you've got to look inward... what your heart is telling you and what you believe in.

Out of the thousands that applied for the bank job, you were shortlisted without any connection.

Out of the thousands that applied for the NNPC jobs including those already working, you were still shortlisted for an oral interview which is definitely the final stage ...as stated by NNPC 2019 (Forget past predictions, this year's own I believe is very transparent and fast).

So why should your faith die when it's needed most?
Great things come to people who'll take the risky actions.

Success Man.

17 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by shineeye1: 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2019
Simple rational analysis!
Use the age long principle of "a bird in hand is Worth two in the bush" NNPC is the "two birds in the bush"
Circumstances dictate direction.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by emkz: 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2019
Attend NNPC's interview. I was in this quandary twice several years ago with another FG agency while in training school. I took the risk and it paid off within two months. Be prepared to take risks. Speak to one of the heads of the training school and tell them the truth.

10 times out of 10, they can be understanding and they will cover for you.

When you return, buy them nice presents to say thanks. Whether you stay or leave, they'd never regret helping you.

11 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Abujabir24: 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2019
I will advice you to remain with the bank. NNPC have finshed sharing slots for the job since January and February before they advertised their recruitment. This is from a reliable source. I have a friend who paid for it from someone that was given 5 slots. Hes waiting for the APL. Mind you, he did not even sit for test.

4 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Splashme: 9:07pm On Jun 27, 2019
castrokins:
This Is A Stupid Question

Did you read the story to understand his predicament?

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Masterace(m): 9:08pm On Jun 27, 2019
just look at yourself and your advice, so he submitted his CV just for fun in the first place?
lilwetdick:
My guy just go to your bank training jejely dont waste your time in NNPC, you know how many thousand people got invited, what is the chance you will be choosen

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Zahrudin: 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2019
Get somebody to do interview for you and paid him
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2019
tosindami:

They both have prospects. But working as a staff of NNPC is less stressful than working as a banker.
probability of getting fired in the Bank is higher than NNPC

4 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2019
I always believe a bird at hand is worth ten in the bush
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Lildoks(m): 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2019
tosindami:

The interview is the last stage. Only those who passed the aptitude test were shortlisted for the interview.
Who told you it is last stage. Do you know the thousands of people shortlisted for the interview?

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by iammiracle1(m): 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2019
mapet:

Bros,

Sir please at what levels is a person able to access such leaves?
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by louken(m): 9:11pm On Jun 27, 2019
My brother, attending NNPC interview and doing well at it is not a guarantee to getting the job. I talk from experience. A bird in hand is worth 10 in the Bush.
My advice is that you should confide in one of the training centre coordinators/facilitators.
I also work in a bank and I have sneaked out to attend couple of interviews including NNPC interview (some years ago). In each case I confided in my immediate supervisors and they were very willing to cover me.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Masterace(m): 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2019
you are wrong for this your sharing slots, the kind of mentality we nigerians develop these days is kinda alarming, reliable source my foot undecided undecided undecided
Abujabir24:
I will advice you to remain with the bank. NNPC have finshed sharing slots for the job since January and February before they advertised their recruitment. This is from a reliable source. I have a friend who paid for it from someone that was given 5 slots. Hes waiting for the APL. Mind you, he did not even sit for test.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Joekaynews(m): 9:13pm On Jun 27, 2019
tosindami:

They both have prospects. But working as a staff of NNPC is less stressful than working as a banker.

Never you compare NNPC prospects to that of Bank that is privately owned no matter highly paid such bank is. Are you aware you can be sacked in that bank anytime any day even without just cause but that can't happen at NNPC?

Do not use govt job to compare private no matter small the pay may be.

5 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 27, 2019
Masterace:
just look at yourself and your advice, so he submitted his CV just for fun in the first place?

he is not going to be selected for any nnpc, the politicians will ajack the process, quota system will also take place, what is the chance he will be able to compete with strong candidate with backup and also what is the chance that the quota system will work in his favour...stop dreaming and be realistic for once.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by lahizak: 9:14pm On Jun 27, 2019
tosindami:
I'm very confused right now.

I'm presently undergoing training as a graduate trainee in one of the first-generation banks in Nigeria. I resumed not too long ago, and it's gonna span for three months, after which I'd be fully absorbed into the bank as a core staff. The training school is in Lagos, and you dare not seek permission, as it will not be granted. You even risk getting sent off if you arrive the training school 10 minutes late.

Just yesterday, I received an email from NNPC stating that I've been shortlisted for an interview (Graduate Trainee) slated to hold in Abuja next week.

I really don't know what to do, as I risk losing both if I attend the interview with NNPC without an express permission from the bank.

N.B: Both are graduate trainee roles.

I'm mystified right now. I hope to get plausible answers from my ogas here..

Maybe u should try been sincere. If u lie to take excuse im sure d bank will put two plus two 2geda and figure u lied. Try request for d permission to attend d interview, u might be allowed or not. If not 4get NNPC and continue with ur bank. NNPC is not sure, even if u miss dis chance, u can continue with d bank and later apply for experience level later in d future. Staying jobless is not easy my brother

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Ways To Achieve Financial Independence / Sacked 900 Dangote Workers Protest Non-Payment Of Benefits In Lagos (Pics) / Pictures Of Women Doing Brick Laying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.