Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,555 members, 7,837,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? (23211 Views)

NNPC Or Coca-cola Interview About Russia Ukraine War / Just In: NNPC Staff Protest Unpaid Salaries / NNPC Drops 500 From Its Workforce For Failing Promotion Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by King0071: 1:28am On Jun 28, 2019
OP,

Take the RISK..
Take IT.
Be BOLD.
Go for the interview, then return to the TS, they will certainly query you. Ah, but dey wunt kill you. Worst case, they send you out of the TS.
You can get the NNPC. You have gotten this far.
There are lots of ways to make it in life. Dont limit yourself.
If you cant take risk at this stage, is it when you are 40 yrs old that you wanna take risks?
Just my humble opinion.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by DUNKA(m): 2:22am On Jun 28, 2019
tosindami:
I'm very confused right now.

I'm presently undergoing training as a graduate trainee in one of the first-generation banks in Nigeria. I resumed not too long ago, and it's gonna span for three months, after which I'd be fully absorbed into the bank as a core staff. The training school is in Lagos, and you dare not seek permission, as it will not be granted. You even risk getting sent off if you arrive the training school 10 minutes late.

Just yesterday, I received an email from NNPC stating that I've been shortlisted for an interview (Graduate Trainee) slated to hold in Abuja next week.

I really don't know what to do, as I risk losing both if I attend the interview with NNPC without an express permission from the bank.

N.B: Both are graduate trainee roles.

I'm mystified right now. I hope to get plausible answers from my ogas here..

Bros your great grandmother has died again grin just make sure you attend the nnpc interview. No dulling as no pain no gain wink
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Ferdinandu(m): 3:55am On Jun 28, 2019
tosindami:

I'm presently undergoing training as a graduate trainee in one of the first-generation banks in Nigeria. I resumed not too long ago, and it's gonna span for three months, after which I'd be fully absorbed into the bank as a core staff. The training school is in Lagos, and you dare not seek permission, as it will not be granted. You even risk getting sent off if you arrive the training school 10 minutes late.

Just yesterday, I received an email from NNPC stating that I've been shortlisted for an interview (Graduate Trainee) slated to hold in Abuja next week.

I really don't know what to do, as I risk losing both if I attend the interview with NNPC without an express permission from the bank.

Except if you have Godfather for NNPC job, if not continue with the bird at hand. After interview in places like NNPC is when the handicapped masses who were smart enough to reach that stage are weeded then the real owners of Nigeria will take their position. Don't say I didn't warn you. Godfather take a chance, no Godfather hold on to the one you have already
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Vester48(m): 5:37am On Jun 28, 2019
tosindami:

Follow your heart! It knows you better than anyone on this forum. Bank cannot fire you for missing a day and if they do, it was never meant for you. Why settle on a skyscraper if you can reach the moon?
All the best.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Vester48(m): 5:40am On Jun 28, 2019
Ferdinandu:
Except if you have Godfather for NNPC job, if not continue with the bird at hand. After interview in places like NNPC is when the handicapped masses who were smart enough to reach that stage are weeded then the real owners of Nigeria will take their position. Don't say I didn't warn you. Godfather take a chance, no Godfather hold on to the one you have already

Excellence does not respect godfatherism. And, I'm not saying there is no godfatherism, it's the same everywhere in the world.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by kenex4ever(m): 5:47am On Jun 28, 2019
tosindami:

Thank you, but the funny thing is, most of my colleagues at the training school were shortlisted, and they intend attending the interview at the risk of losing the present appointment. Furthermore, the facilitators and management of the training school are aware of the NNPC interview. They won't buy the excuse.
if you are sure of getting the nnpc job, I mean if you have a slot from connection things then go for the interview. If not continue your training.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Starpro87(m): 7:12am On Jun 28, 2019
Ferdinandu:

Permission to quote you.
You just nailed it here.
Op, I suggest you apply to your training school for a day off for whatsoever reason you can design as early as now. If granted, then go because you could be one of the SUPER-LUCKY applicants that may be taken by NNPC on merit. If they don't give you the nod, then face your training school, and assume you never, in the first place, filled out any form form employment in NNPC. Remember the distance between you and securing the NNPC job is longer than the distance between your house and the sun. This is Nigerian....the game has just begun. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Akexstinger(m): 7:20am On Jun 28, 2019
You should learn to take risk. If you dont take risk, you can never take a big step which can lead to quantum growth. Miss your training day and go for your interview and come back the following day. Meanwhile you should try and take permission before hand. Tell them you will not be available on the said date. Put it in such a way that you are not begging, in way that your mind is made up for that day.
Dear sir,
I wish to inform you that i will not be available on so so date due to family issues that will need my presence.
This is to inform your esteemed office and hope that it will get your approval.
Yours faithfully,
The person in charge will ask you what issue, make sure it is not on paper, you will now discuss man to man. Oga na NNPC interview and i need to do it. Make i just kukuma complete the process and come back, it is just a day. He will like the fact that you have got balls and u came to meet him one on one .
Another way is to avoid one on one contact and just submit the letter and move. So find away to submit the letter without them seeing u. At least you did an official thing which is notification.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by mapet: 7:32am On Jun 28, 2019
NigAmbassador:
Oga oil worker, no job get stability. That's why employees are always advised to understand 'the time' and save against rainy days...

Bros,

If you don't know, just admit you don't know. Employment at NNPC is not just your default mode employment. Do you know what it takes to sack an NNPC staff?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by qanda: 7:34am On Jun 28, 2019
Access NNPC Job Interview preparation guide for FREE on the Job section of Q and A App https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda

Share info with your loved ones that are shortlisted for the interview.
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Rajosh(m): 7:38am On Jun 28, 2019
Jarus:

If you were sick and were not able to go to the training for 2 days, will they fire you?

That's where the answer is.

I no go advise you to lie on public forum....
lol. Bro you get sense die. @ Op follow the above advice.

Modified: Op stick with your bank job o. this one that most of your colleagues are planning on taking excuse too.
A bird in hand...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by corperdonga: 7:55am On Jun 28, 2019
Everything depends on how you play it. For example, you can start today to be very active and on point with everything in the training school. Get everyone to be amazed by your commitment then 3 days to your interview, slow down and start wearing long face. Keep doing your bits.

Don't go and report that you're sick. Let people notice and ask you. You can throw up in class. cool They will beg u to go and see a doctor. You will say you are fine and can manage as you don't want to miss any class.

A day to your departure, vomit, sit alone, look like the world is upon you and the training school will be suggesting hospital to you. Then that's your cue to disappear for two days. It always works.

#copied# Not from me o. Honesty always pay...#MyMotto#

4 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by NigAmbassador: 7:55am On Jun 28, 2019
mapet:

Bros,

If you don't know, just admit you don't know. Employment at NNPC is not just your default mode employment. Do you know what it takes to sack an NNPC staff?
na spirit dey work for NNPC that's why its a special place. NNPC is not even among the F500 in the world...

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by mapet: 7:59am On Jun 28, 2019
abnot:

The salary isn’t much in these organisations . The allowances is what makes it attractive . These allowances tend to stop when you retire. Read a lot of comments here and I think NNPC is an overhyped organisation. It is huge and not every staff makes it to the top (GM, GGM, GED/COO) which is where the perks really are. I’ve come to realise that where you work does not directly correlate with your outcome / success. I knew a GGM in NNPC whom I thought was very well off but I later got to know a bank GM and later realised how much benefits these bank executives enjoy. A few years ago an ex-NNPC GMD was found with $9 million and was harassed by security agents and the media. Meanwhile likes of SEgun agbaje , Herbert wiggwe , Peter amangbo get about that annually as performance bonus from the respective banks they work in.

Kindly strategise and plan your career. I know lots of bank workers who are normal middle class citizens and also know lots of NNPC/ex-NNPC workers who are also normal middle class citizens.

Bros,

1. "Salaries isn't much.....allowance makes it attractive?" What does that even mean? You mean allowances are not part of emmoluments?
2. Then the "not every staff makes it to the top" narrative sounds even ridiculous to me. In which organisation do every staff make it to the top?
3. Your GGM & GM comparative is vague. So the basis of comparison becomes people you know?
4. The underlined part is even more ridiculous. Except you want to live in denial, the monies found in Andrew Yakubu's hideout was hidden. If it was legit money, it would be in his bank account.
5. You can lay the argument of fat Profit-Sharing for bank executives.... but that is even relative. In Zenith bank for example, not even all staff are entitled to PS. The middle level Senior staff are excluded while the top level staff shares the "fats"

Meanwhile, you need to know that Private Sector is not all that "Cakes and Cream". You probably would have spoken to some bankers and they tell you the lag time in their career progression, people not getting promoted in 5-6yrs; or hear promotion criteria is 48+ months.

Have you considered when you are separated from banks, what do you get afterwards? Apart from your monies in pension account what else? Do banks even do share options any more? The maxim in the banking world is that "you eat both your today and tomorrow while working in a bank....afterwards OYO"

I can't even go into some other written & "unwritten-yet-legit" entitlements of NNPC, NAPIMs, DPR, PPMC etc workers......

It is his choice to make like you said....but some misconceptions needs to be clarified
Cheers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by mapet: 8:02am On Jun 28, 2019
NigAmbassador:
na spirit dey work for NNPC that's why its a special place. NNPC is not even among the F500 in the world...

Ok, at this point...... it is pointless continuing this argument with you

Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Ferdinandu(m): 8:30am On Jun 28, 2019
Vester48:

Excellence does not respect godfatherism. And, I'm not saying there is no godfatherism, it's the same everywhere in the world.
You must be a different planet that doesn't know Nigeria. Above 90% of government vacancies in Nigeria are always filled with connections rather than capability.
Taking chances on government job coupled with fact that it is the most lucrative one without connection is gambling on something that is far more likely to fail than succeed. It is a common sense to be wise not to put all your eggs in one basket by forgoing already secured job

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by ceachris(m): 8:40am On Jun 28, 2019
Bro, go for the nnpc job with every preparedness and the mindset of just getting the job and nothing less and I assure u that you would get the job.. all the bank workers I know are still searching for job elsewhere....

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 28, 2019
last last school no be scam.

4 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by EngrVin: 8:52am On Jun 28, 2019
Hold your access bank job. We all know that NNPC offer is juicy. FYI the numeration of your bank and NNPC differs by far, its not all about your net pay per month. But if you have a way to try it, book a return ticket to Abuja with a well planned timing, and give it a shot.
Best Regards

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Sushi2019: 9:08am On Jun 28, 2019
mapet:

Bros,

As someone in the Oil & Gas industry I will advise you to take your chances with NNPC, even if it means loosing out on the bank.

NNPC is a job that gives you stability and some opportunities to pursue both your career & academic endeavors without impacting your job. For example most serious & ambitious NNPC & CBN staff take advantage of the leave of absence structure to pursue abroad Masters & PhD. There salaries is not stopped while they are away, and NNPC picks your study bills.

For someone like you, whom I strongly believe is smart, even if you don't make the cut at the interview (which I strongly doubt), you are smart enough to get another bank job

Tosindami, this is your best advice. Pray and go for the NNPC interview by all means. Avoid lying oh cos, since your trainers are aware of this interview, they will be watching out for liars. You're smart and you know what works in that place better than we do; work out something. Don't miss the interview. Even if you don't succeed, you'll be glad you gave it a shot. That's better than constantly feeling you missed something throughout your life. I wish you success!

5 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by AK481(m): 9:27am On Jun 28, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Become really really sick to the extent that the bank go confirm say u dey really sick, vomit sef for their front.

Den u go for ur interview

the bank go carry am go their own hospital.. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by lordsterlin(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2019
tosindami:

My guy, NNPC job is pensionable. Think it through with sufficient believe before you take any decision. God keep you

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 28, 2019
chloride6:
You are a learner..

Tell them your aunty that trained like a mother died suddenly and she is a Muslim.

Or instead call in sick and get a family doctor to give you a note..

Book your return flight...

Lobatan...

Finish...

and if they decide to investigate the outrageous lies nko?

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by chloride6: 11:58am On Jun 28, 2019
8y88y8:

and if they decide to investigate the outrageous lies nko?

Trust me they wont, People attend interviews every day..

Infact people lie at other companies to attend interviews at that bank..

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by tmakins1: 11:59am On Jun 28, 2019
tosindami:

i really understand ur situation nw bro but my advice is that u stick to the one you have at hand because the probability of u gettin the nnpc is slim except u have a strong person who is working it out for you......but if NO bro just concentrate on the one you have

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by abnot: 12:09pm On Jun 28, 2019
mapet:

Bros,

1. "Salaries isn't much.....allowance makes it attractive?" What does that even mean? You mean allowances are not part of emmoluments?
2. Then the "not every staff makes it to the top" narrative sounds even ridiculous to me. In which organisation do every staff make it to the top?
3. Your GGM & GM comparative is vague. So the basis of comparison becomes people you know?
4. The underlined part is even more ridiculous. Except you want to live in denial, the monies found in Andrew Yakubu's hideout was hidden. If it was legit money, it would be in his bank account.
5. You can lay the argument of fat Profit-Sharing for bank executives.... but that is even relative. In Zenith bank for example, not even all staff are entitled to PS. The middle level Senior staff are excluded while the top level staff shares the "fats"

Meanwhile, you need to know that Private Sector is not all that "Cakes and Cream". You probably would have spoken to some bankers and they tell you the lag time in their career progression, people not getting promoted in 5-6yrs; or hear promotion criteria is 48+ months.

Have you considered when you are separated from banks, what do you get afterwards? Apart from your monies in pension account what else? Do banks even do share options any more? The maxim in the banking world is that "you eat both your today and tomorrow while working in a bank....afterwards OYO"

I can't even go into some other written & "unwritten-yet-legit" entitlements of NNPC, NAPIMs, DPR, PPMC etc workers......

It is his choice to make like you said....but some misconceptions needs to be clarified
Cheers.
All the points you’ve raised are valid and I never made mention of his current employer being a better option. What I meant is that he should make a decision based on his personal circumstances and prospects. No need comparing both organisations as I don’t even know what bank the OP works for.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Twoclans(f): 2:58pm On Jun 28, 2019
zicoraads:

The interview is just in its first stage,

Happy birthday zicky.Much love kiss

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2019
AK481:

the bank go carry am go their own hospital.. grin grin grin

Their hospitals na usually smaller hospitals

As long as him go do enough drama, dem go refer am to a teaching hospital.

He should consult a doctor for more info
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by ImaIma1(f): 7:47pm On Jun 28, 2019
tosindami:

If they throw you into marketing or a branch, you will wish you opted for NNPC. From experience, a lot of bankers will leave the bank in a twinkle of an eye if they see another option.

You earn well in a bank but you will work with every last drop of sweat for that money. And when the job security is not as good as it used to be.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Martin0(m): 8:02pm On Jun 28, 2019
Twoclans:

Happy birthday zicky.Much love kiss
how far
Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Twoclans(f): 8:42pm On Jun 28, 2019
Martin0:
how far

The cat dragged in my ex tongue

Marty u are just the way you are undecided Very unserious

1 Like

Re: NNPC Or A First Generation Bank? by Martin0(m): 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2019
Twoclans:

The cat dragged in my ex tongue

Marty u are just the way you are undecided Very unserious

hahahahahahahgrin them still dey graduate untop seriousness again?grin chai ime lu gi njor biko gbalu'm osorgrin

olisa biko yelu'm aka ka di'nu serious bikogrin

nne calm down'nugrin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Ways To Achieve Financial Independence / Sacked 900 Dangote Workers Protest Non-Payment Of Benefits In Lagos (Pics) / Pictures Of Women Doing Brick Laying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.