Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,459 members, 7,836,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) (5675 Views)

2006-2010 ML 350 OR 2008-2010 MDX / Toyota Corolla 2006 Vs. Toyota Matrix 2005: Which Should I Buy / Peugeot 406 (2004) Vs Toyota Corolla 2008 (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Oresof: 8:22pm On Jul 05, 2019
Hello please I’m trying to buy a new mini suv and my options are between the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. I have spoken to two top mechanics and they have both given me opposing views. One is for Honda CR-V one is for Toyota RAV4

What do I want in a car?
I don’t want stress. I don’t want to be fixing one thing every other month. I just sold my Kia and it showed me pepper. I need a break from constant trips to the mechanic. Which of these cars would give me less stress? Which is easy to maintain? Which has cheaper parts? Please let me know. I don’t care about appearance of the car just functionality. Like I said I really just don’t want stress anymore. Thanks!
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Lexusgs430: 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2019
The new owner of the kia, continues with the very hot peppersoup..............

4 Likes

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Chriswazo(m): 8:37pm On Jul 05, 2019
Lexusgs430:

U eh! Lol, lwkm
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Chriswazo(m): 8:38pm On Jul 05, 2019
Lexusgs430:

U always find something to remark on aside the main story

1 Like

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Lexusgs430: 8:42pm On Jul 05, 2019
Chriswazo:

U always find something to remark on aside the main story

Oga, you no follow me read the torry...... I can imagine the advert.......

First body
Chilling AC (but needs gas)
Tapping window
Ride and drive (nothing to fix) .........

The new owner would thank me later (well after hin don chop the peppersoup finish)........ grin

5 Likes

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Chriswazo(m): 8:59pm On Jul 05, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Oga, you no follow me read the torry...... I can imagine the advert.......

First body
Chilling AC (but needs gas)
Tapping window
Ride and drive (nothing to fix) .........

The new owner would thank me later (well after hin don chop the peppersoup finish)........ grin

Obviously na so de do am, Lol, he gats pay back. Are you a learner? grin
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by nurey(m): 9:12pm On Jul 05, 2019
Oresof:
Hello please I’m trying to buy a new mini suv and my options are between the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. I have spoken to two top mechanics and they have both given me opposing views. One is for Honda CR-V one is for Toyota RAV4

What do I want in a car?
I don’t want stress. I don’t want to be fixing one thing every other month. I just sold my Kia and it showed me pepper. I need a break from constant trips to the mechanic. Which of these cars would give me less stress? Which is easy to maintain? Which has cheaper parts? Please let me know. I don’t care about appearance of the car just functionality. Like I said I really just don’t want stress anymore. Thanks!

carry your money go and buy Nissan Xtrail and forget the location of your mechanic shop.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by VolvoS60(m): 6:28pm On Jul 06, 2019
Oresof:

What do I want in a car?

^^^
Don't know much about the CR-V but I can say a little about my experience with the 2008 RAV4 (Euro Spec, 1AZ FE engine).

Engines are strong and durable, if slightly underpowered. If properly maintained (oil changes done when due) they are trouble free.
Transmissions (AISIN) are also quite strong. Stick with (OEM) ATF to avoid trouble. Transmissions may heat up occasionally during high speed, long distance driving - prompting a warning message on the dash. Park the vehicle and let it cool down for a while and it'll be fine.
Electric steering racks seem to have a tendency to fail.
4wd models are more than equal to the task in poor road conditions. In its class, only a few models (from other car makers) can match the RAV4 in muddy/sandy terrain. However, failure to monitor fluid levels in the rear diff/transfer case can lead to premature failure - expensive to repair or replace.
Fuel economy is average in its class. Using low viscosity oils and regularly cleaning the fuel lines, fuel pump assembly and injectors helps a great deal.
Electricals/electronics are top notch. Trouble free.
Suspension is average - firm ride with quite a bit of road noise. Tyres can be expensive to replace (225/65R17). Regular servicing of brakes is essential to avoid problems with calipers.
Cooling systems are also strong and generally trouble free. Stick with OEM coolant to avoid problems.
Struts and shocks are not as strong (perhaps because 4wd models carry a little more weight) so they may need replacement sooner than later. Rotors also need replacement quite often.

Summary - the RAV4 is a durable car. Running costs are moderate to high, depending on the model and history. If running costs and reliability are key for you, you may want to consider a Corolla. I found the Corolla to be better in these areas.

2 Likes

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by nurey(m): 7:38pm On Jul 06, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
Don't know much about the CR-V but I can say a little about my experience with the 2008 RAV4 (Euro Spec, 1AZ FE engine).

Engines are strong and durable, if slightly underpowered. If properly maintained (oil changes done when due) they are trouble free.
Transmissions (AISIN) are also quite strong. Stick with (OEM) ATF to avoid trouble. Transmissions may heat up occasionally during high speed, long distance driving - prompting a warning message on the dash. Park the vehicle and let it cool down for a while and it'll be fine.
4wd models are more than equal to the task in poor road conditions. In its class, only a few models (from other car makers) can match the RAV4 in muddy or sandy terrain. However, failure to monitor fluid levels in the rear diff. and transfer case can lead to premature failure. Expensive to repair or replace.
Fuel economy is average in its class. Using low viscosity oils and regularly cleaning the fuel lines, fuel pump assembly and injectors helps a great deal.
Suspension is average - firm ride with quite a bit of road noise. Tyres can be expensive to replace (225/65R17). Regular servicing of brakes is essential to avoid problems with calipers.
Cooling systems are also strong and generally trouble free. Stick with OEM coolant to avoid problems.
Struts and shocks are not as strong (perhaps because 4wd models carry a little more weight) so they may need replacement sooner than later. Rotors also need replacement quite often.

Summary - the RAV4 is a durable car. Running costs are moderate to high, depending on the model and history. If running costs and reliability are key for you, you may want to consider a Corolla. I found the Corolla to be better in these areas.

Please don't ever mention RAV4, CRV, Element, Ford/Mazda Escape/tribute together with 4WD those systems are nonsense to the core, they are just 4WD in paper in practicality they aren't capable.

The only real 4WD of that segment is the Subaru Tribeca and Volvo V70

2 Likes

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by weyreypey: 7:43pm On Jul 06, 2019
Oresof:

What do I want in a car?
Nissan Xterra

1 Like

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Oresof: 7:45pm On Jul 06, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^

4wd models are more than equal to the task in poor road conditions. In its class, only a few models (from other car makers) can match the RAV4 in muddy or sandy terrain. However, failure to monitor fluid levels in the rear diff. and transfer case can lead to premature failure. Expensive to repair or replace.

Thanks! This was really useful information o really appreciate.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Oresof: 7:48pm On Jul 06, 2019
weyreypey:

Nissan Xterra

Is this a good car? Is it easy to maintain? Aren’t parts readily available?
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Oresof: 7:49pm On Jul 06, 2019
nurey:

carry your money go and buy Nissan Xtrail and forget the location of your mechanic shop.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by weyreypey: 7:50pm On Jul 06, 2019
Oresof:

Thank me later.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by VolvoS60(m): 7:55pm On Jul 06, 2019
nurey:

Please don't ever mention RAV4, CRV, Element, Ford/Mazda Escape/tribute together with 4WD those systems are nonsense to the core, they are just 4WD in paper in practicality they aren't capable.

The only real 4WD of that segment is the Subaru Tribeca and Volvo V70

^^^
Worked for me...

I know that the leaders (in no particular order) of 4wd are Audi, Subaru and Volvo but I found the RAV4's system to be competent - more than competent actually.

Of course there are limits to how far the RAV4 can go. For the purists, it isn't a real 4wd - after all, it doesn't have low and high range. But it got the job done for me most of the time - in beach sand and deep mud. If anything, the real problem with that car was the limited ground clearance and not the 4wd/AWD system.

Without going into the jargon of comparing viscous couplings and Haldex clutches and all the other stuff - i'll say the RAV4's 4wd is a basic system that delivers well for the money.

1 Like

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by jceesquare(m): 7:58pm On Jul 06, 2019
weyreypey:

Nissan Xterra
Why you no recommend your Mercedes Benz give am.
Abi you're not their brand ambassador again?

1 Like

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by weyreypey: 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2019
jceesquare:

Why you no recommend your Mercedes Benz give am.
Abi you're not their brand ambassador again?
I am always very practical.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by nurey(m): 8:01pm On Jul 06, 2019
Oresof:

Any Nissan sold in Europe is well built and very strong, Nissan Xtrail is a very good car.

Nissan Xtrail is easy to maintain as it is more like an elevated car, it comes with automatic not the CVT and it has manual too.

Parts look all around you if you see primera, Sentra, serena, Almera, sunny you already have you parts engine, shocks,gear is shared with this vehicles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by jceesquare(m): 8:07pm On Jul 06, 2019
weyreypey:

I am always very practical.
grin I hear you sir.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by nurey(m): 8:07pm On Jul 06, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
Worked for me...

I know that the leaders (in no particular order) of 4wd are Audi, Subaru and Volvo but I found the RAV4's system to be competent - more than competent actually.

Of course there are limits to how far the RAV4 can go. For the purists, it isn't a real 4wd - after all, it doesn't have low and high range. But it got the job done for me most of the time - in beach sand and deep mud. If anything, the real problem with that car was the limited ground clearance and not the 4wd/AWD system.

Without going into the jargon of comparing viscous couplings and Haldex clutches and all the other stuff - i'll say the RAV4's 4wd is a basic system that delivers well for the money.

I am just letting you know anybody wey dey buy those vehicles should have in mind he is buying them for ground clearance.

and please strike the Audi from your list No 4WD system comes close to Subaru then we fit add Volvo and then landrovers some of those 4WD systems been touted by manufacturers are sometimes very limited. I have watched videos testing these different systems and a lot failed, Highlander, Audi S60 the video is available online
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by weyreypey: 8:08pm On Jul 06, 2019
jceesquare:

grin I hear you sir.
Truth!! Op doesn't seem like someone who can afford the gwagen

2 Likes

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by VolvoS60(m): 8:18pm On Jul 06, 2019
nurey:

I am just letting you know anybody wey dey buy those vehicles should have in mind he is buying them for ground clearance.

and please strike the Audi from your list No 4WD system comes close to Subaru then we fit add Volvo and then landrovers some of those 4WD systems been touted by manufacturers are sometimes very limited. I have watched videos testing these different systems and a lot failed, Highlander, Audi S60 the video is available online

^^^
To each his own...I have seen some of those videos too.

Some of them seemed rigged. The only ones that seemed fair to me were the tests conducted by Russians - coincidentally it was only the Volvo Cross Country? that made it in one of those videos that I can remember.

Strike out Audi? cheesy Even though I'm definitely not an Audi fan (apart from their styling), the history of 4wd (at least in passenger sedans & wagons) is incomplete without Audi getting at least an honourable mention..

1 Like

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by nurey(m): 8:26pm On Jul 06, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
To each his own...I have seen some of those videos too.

Some of them seemed rigged. The only ones that seemed fair to me were the tests conducted by Russians - coincidentally it was only the Volvo Cross Country? that made it in one of those videos that I can remember.

Strike out Audi? cheesy Even though I'm definitely not an Audi fan (apart from their styling), the history of 4wd (at least in passenger sedans & wagons) is incomplete without Audi getting at least an honourable mention..

Yeah we can agree to disagree. Volvo 4wd is solid, the video I watched wasn't doctored it was around 1hour I used to have those videos when I was NFA grin but not anymore alot of cars were tested most of those CUV and wagons with AWD failed woefully some couldn't get their cars forward when the 2front wheels were placed on the ram not enough power was transferred to the rear
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 06, 2019
nurey:

Nissan Xtrail is easy to maintain as it is more like an elevated car, it comes with automatic not the CVT and it has manual too.
CVT entered the X-Trail from 2007 (T31).
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by nurey(m): 10:34pm On Jul 06, 2019
Costee:
CVT entered the X-Trail from 2007 (T31).
yes it did.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by jceesquare(m): 6:19am On Jul 07, 2019
weyreypey:

Truth!! Op doesn't seem like someone who can afford the gwagen
Now this is the real weyreypey.
Was wondering where the other one came from grin
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by justiniyke29: 1:02pm On Jul 07, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^

4wd models are more than equal to the task in poor road conditions. In its class, only a few models (from other car makers) can match the RAV4 in muddy/sandy terrain. However, failure to monitor fluid levels in the rear diff/transfer case can lead to premature failure - expensive to repair or replace.

After all these problems, some will still say Toyota is the next best thing after slice bread

1 Like

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 07, 2019
justiniyke29:
After all these problems, some will still say Toyota is the next best thing after slice bread
Asin ehn.... the way we hype that model for ds 9ja ehn
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by weyreypey: 4:10pm On Jul 07, 2019
justiniyke29:
Ditto for Lexus.
Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by justiniyke29: 6:01pm On Jul 07, 2019
weyreypey:

Ditto for Lexus.
The way they hype toyota, you will think all you have to do is just fuel it.

2 Likes

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by VolvoS60(m): 10:26am On Jul 08, 2019
justiniyke29:

^^^
It isn't a bad car at all. Most of those repairs were expected - the car was over a decade old after all. And 9 times out of 10, it would start in the morning on the first try. It left me stranded only twice and one of those times was my fault really.

In general, Toyota really do make good cars.

1 Like

Re: Honda CR-V Vs Toyota RAV4 (2008-2010) by 2felix(m): 12:18pm On Jul 08, 2019
nurey:

Pls house
I love nissan x trail and planning to buy one especially the 2011-13 cvt model. But I don't know if it is expensive in repairs n spare parts availabity compared to the 2005-06 automatic transmission model . I don't which is advisable to get being that I m a salary earner of 100k

(1) (2) (Reply)

Audi A4 B6 Vs Mercedes W203 C200.. / Why Is Honda Not Used For Taxi In Nigeria / Jsd-520 Car Stereo Usb/sd Fm Aux-in & Mp3 Player (12k Only!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.