Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

The Philosophical Problem Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Philosophical Problem Of God (1731 Views)

What If ! Philosophical Questions Theories And Answers / Why Is There Something Instead Of Nothing? (A Philosophical Overview) / Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 1:50pm On Jul 07, 2019
When we argue about God, it is often about the traditional form of God presented by the Judeo-Christian theology. This type of God is highly personalized yet purportedly universal.

This concept of God is known as the Omni-God

Which reflects the attributes and characters believed are necessary in the nature of God or it falls short of perfection and can no longer be God.

Of course, there are different types of powerful cosmological Gods believed through history but this problem sorely addresses the Judeo-Christian (Judaism, Islam and Christianity) idea of God.

These attributes are consequences of the arguments philosophers employ to deductively prove God.

Example: The ontological argument.
1. God is the greatest being (Perfect) possible
2.The greatest being ever can exist as a thing or as an idea in the mind
3. God obviously at least exist as an idea
4. The only thing greater than the greatest being possible that exist as an idea is the greatest being possible that exists as a thing.
5. And if there is something greater than the greatest thing possible that exists as idea, it means the greatest being possible that exist as an idea isn't the greatest being possible
6. Therefore, God exists.

The argument of contingency
1. Things that exist in this universe are contingent
2. This means that even though they exist, they can as well not exist
3. Effects are contingent caused by contingent causes
4. If everything is contingent then everything can as well not exist at all
5. An infinite regression of contingencies is logically absurd
6. There must be a necessary being since contingent beings can easily not exist - hence nothing can exist
7. This necessary being is God

Argument from motion
1. Everything is in motion
2. Motion is as a result of a pre-existent force of motion acting upon a body
3. Every moving effect has a moving cause
4. An infinite regression of moving causes is logically absurd
5. There must be a necessary first mover, the unmoved mover
6. This unmoved mover is God

There are many other deductive arguments used by philosophers to make a case for the existence of God as an absolute necessity. As you may have noticed, these arguments all have one thing in common, they put God at the absolute apex of everything.

And the consensus of these thoughts is that God is perfect - he must be perfect or it doesn't fit into the implication of the arguments above.

And that is why consequently the Judeo-Christian God is known as the omni-God due to the attributes and characters invoked by defining theologies of its character.

Philosophers like Saint Augustine and Thomas Aquinas came up with these set of divine attributes God must possess or it isn't God and this divine attributes are still wildly or even mostly held today by theists.

Omniscient - God knows everything knowable
omnipotent- God can do everything
omni-benevolent - God is all good
Omni-temporal - Exist at all time at once
omni-present - Exist at all place

We can all easily deduce that none of these attributes are explicitly listed out in the bible or other Judeo-Christian sources but the argument of these philosophers is that, they must be the case if it can be said that God is perfect.

But this attributes present big problems for the concept of God it defines.

Let me start with the most common problem, the omnipotence paradox;

Can God create something so heavy that he can't lift it?

If God is omnipotent, then he has to be able to create something he can't lift, otherwise his inability to create this would mean that there is at least one thing that God can't do then he can't be omnipotent.

The problems of evil - There is at least what we call natural evil.
An omniscient God would know every possible way evil cannot exist
An omnibenovalent God would want to eradicate evil
An omnipotent God can.
How then is evil a thing?
How then is satan, the embodiment of evil a thing?

What about man-made evils?

Free will?
God is omniscient and omnitemporal; he knows every future. How is there freewill if God already knows what will happen and can't be wrong?

The only way we can make predictions such as eclipse of the sun or any other accurately, is that the forces subject to our accurate measurement and predictions do not possess will and therefore are designated to act according to measurable patterns.

Or, the problem of morality.
Can God sin?
If God can't sin, then God possibly can't do everything, therefore not omnipotent.
If God can sin, then God can't possible be all good

And then there is the problem of prayer
Most theists in the world today pray at some point in their life; There are four kinds of prayers

1. petition
2. Adoration
3. Contrition
4. Thanksgiving

a. Someone who is petitioning God to do something, give you a car, make you pass an exam, make Nigeria win the match on wednesday is questioning the divine attributes of God.

There is no reason given the attributes of God to believe that asking God for anything actually makes any difference.

1. God is omniscient - He already knows everything, he knows the best possible outcomes
2. And God has the power to set in play any state of affairs which he does by virtue of omnipotence
3. He must have already set the best possible outcomes in motion by virtue of Omnibenovalence

So, it is either your prayers are asking God for something he is already going to do and this means, your prayers are meaningless since it will happen anyway.
Or your prayer is asking God to do what he has decided not to do because it is not the best possible outcome thereby contradict his divine attributes.

So, why then do you pray?

What these problems show is that the divine attributes of God are inconsistent, either in themselves or with one another. It means, there cannot all be true at the same time, but they can all be wrong at the same time.

So, what do you do when you understand that you hold on to an inconsistent belief?

You either give them up - to achieve consistency or you find a way to rationalize them and make them consistent.

How then can you as a believer do this?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by budaatum: 3:35pm On Jul 07, 2019
Moon landings were an attempt to find God too, with an inability to perceive behind the moon the recognised limitation, so massive investments were made to see behind the moon, but alas, no God. Those with the ability to comprehend would have said, "Perhaps he moved to another planet", and so do we send probes to the furthest reaches of the universe. Do probes find the Kingdom of God? I'll say yes but expect to be vilified!

I often laugh when people ask others to provide them with evidence of God or prove that God exists. Often, they are asking one who merely believes God exists to prove that God exists, which is an amusing sight to behold, for a person who knows God exists would not bother proving it to one who doesn't for they know the person seeking evidence lacks the ability to perceive or comprehend the Kingdom of God.

I'm going to suggest that most of the above op is based on a misconception of God, of whom no images can be made, and who's Kingdom, it is said, is within one, and which you'd only know by the fruits that presence within produces. I'm also going to suggest NASA is the new Vatican, but I can not possibly expect those who comprehend not "As above, So below" to understand a word I might possibly use to explain my suggesting except to state that "God" is not a philosophical problem, but a problem that those who lack the ability to be philosophical are incapable of comprehending. It's in the language, see, and most have not heard of the likes of Wittgenstein et al.

I might respond to your specific questions later.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by CAPSLOCKED: 3:37pm On Jul 07, 2019
johnydon22:

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL PIECE, BUT YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANYTHING FROM BELIEVERS.

1 Like

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 4:35pm On Jul 07, 2019
budaatum:
Moon landings were an attempt to find God too, with an inability to perceive behind the moon the recognised limitation, so massive investments were made to see behind the moon, but alas, no God. Those with the ability to comprehend would have said, "Perhaps he moved to another planet", and so do we send probes to the furthest reaches of the universe. Do probes find the Kingdom of God? I'll say yes but expect to be vilified!

I often laugh when people ask others to provide them with evidence of God or prove that God exists. Often, they are asking one who merely believes God exists to prove that God exists, which is an amusing sight to behold, for a person who knows God exists would not bother proving it to one who doesn't for they know the person seeking evidence lacks the ability to perceive or comprehend the Kingdom of God.

I'm going to suggest that most of the above op is based on a misconception of God, of whom no images can be made, and who's Kingdom, it is said, is within one, and which you'd only know by the fruits that presence within produces. I'm also going to suggest NASA is the new Vatican, but I can not possibly expect those who comprehend not "As above, So below" to understand a word I might possibly use to explain my suggesting except to state that "God" is not a philosophical problem, but a problem that those who lack the ability to be philosophical are incapable of comprehending. It's in the language, see, and most have not heard of the likes of Wittgenstein et al.

I might respond to your specific questions later.

Hahaha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 4:36pm On Jul 07, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL PIECE, BUT YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANYTHING FROM BELIEVERS.

If it gets them to mull over these philosophical thoughts, then it has done quite a lot.

1 Like

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:48pm On Jul 07, 2019
The question, why do we pray?

You see, the mind of a man simply remodel something into person which they can communicate verbally with. It happens alot even when we don't notice it. The fact is, when these stuff are important to us and are not a person, we tend to deal with them as a person. Hence, the reason why some pray to God or something. This doesn't mean God is a person.

I noticed too that people pray to the court of law. Even when the court of justice is a God, it is not a person.

Therefore, people pray to God because there mind captured it as human or someone they can converse with.

In Yoruba spirituality, sacrifices is more important than prayer. Infact, they don't pray to Eledumare as he/she/it does not interfere with activities in the physical world. Sacrifices as defined in Ifa is exchange (could be between human and god or human to human).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Funaki: 6:09pm On Jul 07, 2019
cheesy I've asked my friends that prayer question many times, no definite answer. Why do you pray to God when he already knows what is going to be?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by budaatum: 6:27pm On Jul 07, 2019
johnydon22:

How then can you as a believer do this?
Prayer, and believing, in the two questions above, are what I will consider here, first, by pointing out the error in the ops understanding, for he willingly, it would seem, takes an understanding of prayer from believers but would not do the same for God. Yet, to philosophical consider a thing, one would define one's terms and not just assume words mean what one understands them to mean.

First, believers. To believe is to accept a thing as being as one understands it to be. One problem with this is one only can possibly believe what one is aware of, which is what makes ops question, "what do you do when you understand that you hold on to an inconsistent belief" pertinent. I shall take "inconsistent" to mean that which corresponds not to reality, and I'm going to point to the scientific method (a devise of the Holy Ghost to the spiritually minded), as the solution found to the problem of resolving "inconsistent belief" with actual reality, with an admission that we have not yet evolved our understanding that far, it seems. And so, on to prayer, and with a question instead of an answer which I have placed elsewhere with imploration thay you cheat not until after you consider the question yourself.

Imagine I were to pray earnestly for a Mercedes-Benz or to pass an exam in maths, how would one go about it, and how would God, if God were so inclined, answer such prayers?
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 2:41pm On Jul 08, 2019
FOLYKAZE:
The question, why do we pray?

You see, the mind of a man simply remodel something into person which they can communicate verbally with. It happens alot even when we don't notice it. The fact is, when these stuff are important to us and are not a person, we tend to deal with them as a person. Hence, the reason why some pray to God or something. This doesn't mean God is a person.

I noticed too that people pray to the court of law. Even when the court of justice is a God, it is not a person.

Therefore, people pray to God because there mind captured it as human or someone they can converse with.

In Yoruba spirituality, sacrifices is more important than prayer. Infact, they don't pray to Eledumare as he/she/it does not interfere with activities in the physical world. Sacrifices as defined in Ifa is exchange (could be between human and god or human to human).
The Judeo-Christian God described in the argument above is highly personalized.

A reply referencing other God(s) wouldn't necessarily fit because it is based on the inconsistencies of the Judeo-Christian God defining characters and features.
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by tintingz(m): 4:32pm On Jul 08, 2019
Good argument from the OP.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 9:27am On Jul 10, 2019
tintingz:
Good argument from the OP.
We are waiting for believers to help us rationalize the problems

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by hakeem4(m): 10:52pm On Jul 12, 2019
This is a beautiful piece from johnydon22.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 2:33pm On Jul 13, 2019
hakeem4:
This is a beautiful piece from johnydon22.

It is rather disappointing that religious people (Judeo-Christian that is) aren't attacking it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by RandomGuy48: 8:40am On Jul 14, 2019
Let me start with the most common problem, the omnipotence paradox;

Can God create something so heavy that he can't lift it?

If God is omnipotent, then he has to be able to create something he can't lift, otherwise his inability to create this would mean that there is at least one thing that God can't do then he can't be omnipotent.
Let us suppose that this question shows that God is not in fact "fully" omnipotent. All that would indicate is that, outside of a few fringe cases that do not actually matter (to what degree does this have any impact on any potential interactions God may have with us?), God can do anything. So even if this is a demonstration that God is not omnipotent, for all practical purposes (and especially from our viewpoint) God effectively is.

But does one even have to admit that? It is interesting that you mention how the traits of God were stated by Augustine and Aquinas, but do not note that they actually gave answers to some of these. For example, according to Aquinas, this "paradox" only occurs if one is not following the right understanding of omnipotence, which is the ability to do all things that are possible. Things that are a contradiction in terms, such as the question you suppose (or for another famous example, whether a square can be a circle), are logically impossible and thus do not fall under the definition of omnipotence. As Aquinas says, "Hence it is better to say that such things cannot be done, than that God cannot do them." (http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1025.htm#article3)

Alternatively, one can take the opposite route, and argue that omnipotence allows for the suspension of the laws of logic itself, and thus an omnipotent God can simultaneously make a rock too strong for him to lift while still being able to lift it despite the apparent paradox it presents.

The problems of evil - There is at least what we call natural evil.
An omniscient God would know every possible way evil cannot exist
An omnibenovalent God would want to eradicate evil
An omnipotent God can.
How then is evil a thing?
How then is satan, the embodiment of evil a thing?

What about man-made evils?
In the limited forum of a message board, it's hard to do justice to a question that has prompted entire works of philosophy. So I will offer this short, if possibly unfulfilling answer: There could very well be important factors or variables that we non-omniscient humans are unaware of that an omniscient being is aware of that would mean that what we perceive to be as an unwillingness or inability to eradicate what we see as evil is in fact the best choice available.

Free will?
God is omniscient and omnitemporal; he knows every future. How is there freewill if God already knows what will happen and can't be wrong?

The only way we can make predictions such as eclipse of the sun or any other accurately, is that the forces subject to our accurate measurement and predictions do not possess will and therefore are designated to act according to measurable patterns.
Well, some actually would say that free will does not exist as their answer, though I would not. For me, I feel it's a false dissonance to begin with. The ability to know, even with absolute certainty, that someone will make a particular choice does not mean that that person did not themselves make that choice. I simply see no contradiction between omniscience and free will.

But even beyond that, I don't think it's a question that has relevance. There are two possibilities. One is that we do not have free will with an omniscient God. In that case, the question is irrelevant because you lack the free will to do anything about it. The other is that we do have free with an omniscient God. In that case, the question is irrelevant because you do have free will and there's no reason to worry about it. Either way, it ends up being irrelevant, and I do not think it particularly worth pondering about.

Or, the problem of morality.
Can God sin?
If God can't sin, then God possibly can't do everything, therefore not omnipotent.
If God can sin, then God can't possible be all good
Again, this is something Aquinas answered, in fact in the same article I linked above:

"To sin is to fall short of a perfect action; hence to be able to sin is to be able to fall short in action, which is repugnant to omnipotence. Therefore it is that God cannot sin, because of His omnipotence."

But much like the omnipotence paradox, even if inability to sin is a contradiction with omnipotence and thus imposes a limitation, it is a limitation of no practical value from our perspective. Thus, from a practical standpoint, God can be considered omnipotent.

This is by far the simplest of the questions to answer: The Bible says you should pray. (a Muslim would cite the Qur'an instead of the Bible but the answer remains the same)

But yet again, I should note Aquinas's answer:

"We need to pray to God, not in order to make known to Him our needs or desires but that we ourselves may be reminded of the necessity of having recourse to God's help in these matters."
http://newadvent.org/summa/3083.htm#article2

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by orisa37: 9:14am On Jul 14, 2019
Penny for your Thoughts.
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by orisa37: 9:24am On Jul 14, 2019
What about Buharislam, Buharism, Fulanisation and Rugarity?
They are Concepts and Epicureanism are they not?
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 9:26pm On Jul 16, 2019
RandomGuy48:

Let us suppose that this question shows that God is not in fact "fully" omnipotent. All that would indicate is that, outside of a few fringe cases that do not actually matter (to what degree does this have any impact on any potential interactions God may have with us?), God can do anything. So even if this is a demonstration that God is not omnipotent, for all practical purposes (and especially from our viewpoint) God effectively is.

But does one even have to admit that? It is interesting that you mention how the traits of God were stated by Augustine and Aquinas, but do not note that they actually gave answers to some of these. For example, according to Aquinas, this "paradox" only occurs if one is not following the right understanding of omnipotence, which is the ability to do all things that are possible. Things that are a contradiction in terms, such as the question you suppose (or for another famous example, whether a square can be a circle), are logically impossible and thus do not fall under the definition of omnipotence. As Aquinas says, "Hence it is better to say that such things cannot be done, than that God cannot do them." (http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1025.htm#article3)

Alternatively, one can take the opposite route, and argue that omnipotence allows for the suspension of the laws of logic itself, and thus an omnipotent God can simultaneously make a rock too strong for him to lift while still being able to lift it despite the apparent paradox it presents.

In the limited forum of a message board, it's hard to do justice to a question that has prompted entire works of philosophy. So I will offer this short, if possibly unfulfilling answer: There could very well be important factors or variables that we non-omniscient humans are unaware of that an omniscient being is aware of that would mean that what we perceive to be as an unwillingness or inability to eradicate what we see as evil is in fact the best choice available.

Well, some actually would say that free will does not exist as their answer, though I would not. For me, I feel it's a false dissonance to begin with. The ability to know, even with absolute certainty, that someone will make a particular choice does not mean that that person did not themselves make that choice. I simply see no contradiction between omniscience and free will.

But even beyond that, I don't think it's a question that has relevance. There are two possibilities. One is that we do not have free will with an omniscient God. In that case, the question is irrelevant because you lack the free will to do anything about it. The other is that we do have free with an omniscient God. In that case, the question is irrelevant because you do have free will and there's no reason to worry about it. Either way, it ends up being irrelevant, and I do not think it particularly worth pondering about.

Again, this is something Aquinas answered, in fact in the same article I linked above:

"To sin is to fall short of a perfect action; hence to be able to sin is to be able to fall short in action, which is repugnant to omnipotence. Therefore it is that God cannot sin, because of His omnipotence."

But much like the omnipotence paradox, even if inability to sin is a contradiction with omnipotence and thus imposes a limitation, it is a limitation of no practical value from our perspective. Thus, from a practical standpoint, God can be considered omnipotent.

This is by far the simplest of the questions to answer: The Bible says you should pray. (a Muslim would cite the Qur'an instead of the Bible but the answer remains the same)

But yet again, I should note Aquinas's answer:

"We need to pray to God, not in order to make known to Him our needs or desires but that we ourselves may be reminded of the necessity of having recourse to God's help in these matters."
http://newadvent.org/summa/3083.htm#article2

So you read Suma theologia
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 9:33pm On Jul 16, 2019
Ubenedictus:

So you read Suma theologia
It's a good read
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 9:41pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnydon22:
It's a good read
you too... Thought you were anti anything Catholic.

Aquinas is a Catholic theologian.
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 10:02pm On Jul 16, 2019
Ubenedictus:
you too... Thought you were anti anything Catholic.

Aquinas is a Catholic theologian.
I am the farthest thing from anti-catholicism.

In fact, I'd take catholic liturgy any day instead of a Pentecostal service.

I have been a Catholic for the most part of my life, an alter boy and later a seminarian.

Unbeliever - Yes
Critic - Yes
Anti- Christian - No
Anti- theist - No
Anti catholic - No.

I enjoy studying Catholic theologians.

One can't really have a balanced view until they have conclusively studied admirably that which they criticize.
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 10:05pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnydon22:

I have been a Catholic for the most part of my life, an alter boy and later a seminarian.

Unbeliever - Yes
Critic - Yes
Anti- Christian - No
Anti- theist - No
Anti catholic - No.

One can't really have a balanced view until they have conclusively studied admirably that which they criticize.
so apart from Aquinas who else have you read?
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 10:07pm On Jul 16, 2019
Ubenedictus:
so apart from Aquinas who else have you read?
I particularly love Saint Augustine. One of my favorite quotes.

"If you choose parts of the scriptures to believe and not the others, it is not the scriptures you believe but yourself"
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 10:45pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnydon22:
I particularly love Saint Augustine. One of my favorite quotes.

"If you choose parts of the scriptures to believe and not the others, it is not the scriptures you believe but yourself"
Augustine...?

I don't think I have read half of his works... That's a good one.
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 10:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnydon22:

Unbeliever - Yes
Critic - Yes
Anti- Christian - No
Anti- theist - No
Anti catholic - No.

if I want to throw you off, I'll have to invite you to a tradentine mass.

I'll see how much you love Catholic liturgy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by johnydon22(m): 8:40am On Jul 17, 2019
Ubenedictus:
if I want to throw you off, I'll have to invite you to a tradentine mass.

I'll see how much you love Catholic liturgy

You are talking to someone who was half way to becoming a Catholic Priest Ubenedictus

1 Like

Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 9:21am On Jul 17, 2019
johnydon22:

You are talking to someone who was half way to becoming a Catholic Priest Ubenedictus
lol.

We were all there at some point.

What changed your mind?

That is funny to me... Because the Catholic faith has one of the most solid philosophical traditions. Everything probably by reason.
It is almost impossible for me to go close to atheism because I know of God both by reason, as far as reason can go and by the experience of his movements in the depths of my soul. I can't deny what I know with such certainly anymore than I can deny love.
Re: The Philosophical Problem Of God by Ubenedictus(m): 9:22am On Jul 17, 2019
johnydon22:

besides many Catholic priest have never been to a tradentine mass, fewer aspirants know what it is.
That should test your acceptance of liturgy

(1) (Reply)

Full Mountain Top Life Daily Devotional For Sun, 18th Oct 2020 / This Is What Ogun In Brazil Looks Like (photo) / The Seven Seals And The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.