Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,792 members, 7,851,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:03 AM

How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? (3180 Views)

Photo: See The Lagos Taxi Driver That Uses POS / Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 14, 2010
ocho cinco:

So if the government builds roads and develops transport links, it isn't helping the poor?
@kobojunkie
Good question. Even things like arresting and caging the notorious area boys would benefit the petty trader and the small scale businessmen as it would reduce their cost of doing business.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 6:40pm On Oct 14, 2010
ocho cinco:

So if the government builds roads and develops transport links, it isn't helping the poor?

@kobojunkie

You tell me! How does a person struggling with the high cost of goods and services in Lagos benefit from the above. You make the link for us please.

tensor777:

Good question. Even things like arresting and caging the notorious area boys would benefit the petty trader and the small scale businessmen as it would reduce their cost of doing business.

You keep harping on notorious area boys as if you just discovered a menace that every lagosian has been aware of for decades now. How does locking them up help fix anything? Even the military governors could not succeed at that exercise, why do you now think spending government money doing that will somehow automagically solve the problem of security for petty traders and businessmen in Lagos?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by ochocinco1(m): 7:17pm On Oct 14, 2010
Part of the costs of goods and services, is tied to the high cost of getting these goods and people providing services from one place to another. Easing the free flow of goods and services brings about a reduction in the prices.

And the point I have been trying to make ever since, is the building of one road in lieu of building a high rise tower, is that the whole population of Lagos benefits from that one road while only the residents of that apartment building do.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Oct 14, 2010
ocho cinco:

Part of the costs of goods and services, is tied to the high cost of getting these goods and people providing services from one place to another. Easing the free flow of goods and services brings about a reduction in the prices.

And the point I have been trying to make ever since, is the building of one road in lieu of building a high rise tower, is that the whole population of Lagos benefits from that one road while only the residents of that apartment building do.

Let me get this right then, are you suggesting that when government has road dealt with, there will no longer be poor going by your explanation above on how cost of goods and services are tied to roads? undecided
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by ochocinco1(m): 7:26pm On Oct 14, 2010
Lol . . .Where in my statement did I even suggest people would not be poor with the building of a road?

All I suggested was more people benefit from building a road than from building houses if the choice has to be made.

More opportunities and greater help come with the access provided by good transport links and access than with building a house.

I am very eager to see what you will counter with now. . . .What ''outlandish'' statement will you extract from the above?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Oct 14, 2010
ocho cinco:

Lol . . .Where in my statement did I even suggest people would not be poor with the building of a road?

All I suggested was more people benefit from building a road than from building houses if the choice has to be made.

More opportunities and greater help come with the access provided by good transport links and access than with building a house.

I am very eager to see what you will counter with now. . . .What ''outlandish'' statement will you extract from the above?

Just asking since you came with that in response to my earlier question on how the roads impact the poor, and their condition
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 14, 2010
ocho cinco:

Yes imagine how Lagos State would look today if it had concentrated on building first-class all-weather transport infrastructure since the inception of the Tinubu administraion until now. Then the  subsequent positive effect on business development and even things like tourism.
That should still be their main priority  at the moment and not mere palliatives to the poor that don't even cut at the root of their poverty.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 14, 2010
ocho cinco:

ore opportunities and greater help come with the access provided by good transport links and access than with building a house.
Its all a nonsense anyway as it is not the job of government in a free-market economy to build houses for its citizens. There are much more pressing issues that the government should get involved in , moreso as the private sector is perfectly capable of building houses.
I don't know why we are wasting time even debating this kind of idea.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by phantom(m): 8:05pm On Oct 14, 2010
jeez,are we still on this?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Oct 15, 2010
FUnny how no one really answered the question. All we mostly did was stay clear of answering the question by injecting our personal opinions that don't even line up with actual responsibilities of Government or facts that pertain to the state in this.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by TewMuch: 5:15pm On Oct 15, 2010
How come everyone expects Lagos state to be accountable to everyone and help everyone out of poverty since the whole Nigeria is moving there.Why not ask what the government is doing to reduce poverty?Lagos State is doing what it should do to help itself maintain a standard and attract investments.If you can't live there move somewhere more affordable.And go and task your home state governments to do something.Hold them accountable.Everyone leaves these other guys to chop correct money and put all their useless burden and destitutes on Lagos.Rubbish.Lagos is not the only city in Nigeria.What is Nigerian government doing to help the poor?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by asha80(m): 6:05pm On Oct 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI (f) Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed?
« #65 on: October 13, 2010, 05:32 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Kobojunkie on October 13, 2010, 05:30 AM
Please do not attempt to compare the US with Nigeria, even in that light. We(in Nigeria) are still light years from being able to do that reasonably.

LOL stop it

But I think I'd rather be a poor man in Nigeria than USA.

I doubt you have experienced poverty in nigeria before
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Oct 15, 2010
Oh my . . . I missed that one. @Ileke-IdI, you have probably not spent a long time in Nigeria . . . what makes you think you can survive poverty there? You better take back that curse or else . . .
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Mariory(m): 11:52pm On Oct 15, 2010
TewMuch:

How come Kobojunkie expects Lagos state to be accountable to everyone and help everyone out of poverty since the whole Nigeria is moving there? What is Nigerian government doing to help the poor?

Two outstanding questions.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2010
TewMuch:

How come everyone expects Lagos state to be accountable to everyone and help everyone out of poverty since the whole Nigeria is moving there.Why not ask what the government is doing to reduce poverty?Lagos State is doing what it should do to help itself maintain a standard and attract investments.If you can't live there move somewhere more affordable.And go and task your home state governments to do something.Hold them accountable.Everyone leaves these other guys to chop correct money and put all their useless burden and destitutes on Lagos.Rubbish.Lagos is not the only city in Nigeria.What is Nigerian government doing to help the poor?

I am not certain what it is of this that confuses you. The thread is about Lagos State and it's handling of issues that affect the poor and unemployed in that state. If you want to discuss another state, open a similar thread with focus on the other state and we can deal with that then.

Please, we ought to learn to spend more time reading and understanding what is presented before responding.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by TewMuch: 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2010
^^^
I am not certain I engaged you in any conversation.And I know you are not the OP.Who even died and made you a moderator.Step back crack junkie troll and find something to do with your life.You need reading and comprehension skills, take your own advice first and go look for your other trolls so you can start the same old ridiculous and baseless arguments.That's all I have to say to you on this thread.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Oct 16, 2010
Again

Kobojunkie:

I am not certain what it is of this that confuses you. The thread is about Lagos State and it's handling of issues that affect the poor and unemployed in that state. If you want to discuss another state, open a similar thread with focus on the other state and we can deal with that then.

Please, we ought to learn to spend more time reading and understanding what is presented before responding.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by ochocinco1(m): 8:48pm On Oct 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

FUnny how no one really answered the question. All we mostly did was stay clear of answering the question by injecting our personal opinions that don't even line up with actual responsibilities of Government or facts that pertain to the state in this.

o ga oo. . .don't know how clearly one will address the question. Lagos State government is building roads and upgrading the transport system and the thrust of my arguments all through is this helps the poor.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Mariory(m): 12:56am On Oct 17, 2010
ocho cinco:

o ga oo. . .don't know how clearly one will address the question. Lagos State government is building roads and upgrading the transport system and the thrust of my arguments all through is this helps the poor.

Will probably make no difference but, just to be safe you should probably re-post that in massive fonts as Kobojunkie doesn't see so well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need Assistance On Payoneer Card Delivery / Fg, Nse Collaboration Useful, Says Vp Osinbajo / What Is Money Gram Investment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.