Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,030 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told (8059 Views)

Chris Ngige: Doctors Are Free To Leave Nigeria, We Have Enough / "The North Never Told Us They Do Not Like Suffering And Poverty" - Fani Kayode / I Never Told EFCC To Stop Akpabio Probe – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by MobileGees: 9:07am On Jul 27, 2019
What does the name Nigeria mean to you?

Nigeria is simply a geographical expression of the imperialists’ greed and spite.

Recently, I was on a flight from Dallas to London when I struck an interesting conversation with an American professor of African history. We talked...

about the human race and countries.

America, he said was named after an Italian explorer called Amerigo Vespucci. Amerigo was known to denote his discovered land a “New World”. So long after her independence, the New World appropriated quite well with the dream of all Americans

“What about Nigeria”? He asked me.

“Flora Shaw Lugard coined Nigeria and her inspiration was the river Niger”. I replied.

“Wrong”. The historian responded. “Republic of Niger was named after River Niger not Nigeria”. That’s what white historians want you to believe.

I don’t understand the gullibility of blacks. With resources but won't research but dwell and believe all the white man says” He added.

Nigeria simply means “The Nigger Area” or “Land of the Black slaves”. Nigger was a common derogatory slang used for slaves” He bluntly said.

His words hit my heart sharply and I was grateful the cabin lights were dim so he couldn’t see the expression on my face. It was a night flight; we had 9 more hours to our destination so I had all the time to listen. Sipping slowly on my orange juice I beckoned on him to continue

The West African Region identified as Nigeria today was known to have supplied more slaves than any other country. The quality of human “cargo” was supreme and priced much more than slaves from other West African countries. The men were strongly built and expert cotton farmers.

Only wealthy plantation owners could afford slaves from “Nigeria”. Little wonder, slaves from your country were nicknamed “black gold” and the British slave ship named “White Lion” brought them into Virginia.

“I am still not convinced” I shot at the grey bearded historian.

“Very well, lets start this way” he continued...

What gave River Niger its name?

I looked blankly at him…

It’s the European Slave traders and done for easy mappings. That river was the longest cutting across many black lands.

River Niger simply means the River of Niggers or Negroes as you wish to say.

Listen dear Natasha, you must have an open mind to first agree that most of what you were taught in Nigerian history is distorted and made to confuse the people.

I said nothing and he kept on talking

The imperialists were very brutal with no humane sentiments to Africa. Their business was simply to exploit and trade for their advantage. The Berlin Conference of 1885 legalized Africa as distant colonies to the imperialists.

Most African countries were named by what suited the “masters”

Ghana was named Gold Coast because the abundance of gold Britain exploited.

Zimbabwe was named Rhodesia by Mr. Cecil Rhodes who treated the country like his company.

Oh, lastly he added, the oil colony of the Niger Delta part of Nigeria was called the Slave Coast.

It was so when Asaba was the capital of the Southern Protectorate under the ownership of Sir. George Goldie the founder of the Royal Niger Company which had headquarters in Lokoja

Natasha, I hope you know that Sir. Goldie sold the Southern Nigeria protectorate (land and people) to the British Government for £865,000 (eight hundred and sixty five thousand pounds) in the year 1899.

“Finally, finally” he added. “there was a debate on whether to name your country Negroland or Nigritia as you were the most populated black nation. However, those on Nigritia won and the word was added in the Century Dictionary in 1904 to mean a large territory of niggers/negros”

Thanks for your “lecture” I said

Listen, I am sorry if I upset you but your country is greatly admired world wide for its great resources especially its people. What happened to them is distortion of facts to enable indirect rule function at the detrimental discord of its people

All Nigerian people need do is reach out to their core and harness a common vision which can bring forth the missing patriotism. You guys will be a world power in no time with your fire and potentials. But first…

- reach your core

- find your truth

- build your nation

Hint: Ask for the Southern and Northern amalgamation contracts. These should be made public for Nigerians to know. Get to know what terms Nigeria was married upon.

I know the Royal Niger Company was given some dubious rights to half of all mining revenue for 99 years from 1900.

These documents should be with the British government, United African Company and Leventis companies as there were parented from the Royal Nigeria Company. That’s if they are missing at your government’s administration.

That’s right… UAC and Leventis are owned by ex slave traders and still grow their empires in Britain.

“Thanks once again dear sir. I need to get to my seat for some sleep”. I appreciated.

Just as I got to my seat, we hit turbulence and the seatbelt sign came on.

The plane shook violently, my mind went to late Pius Adesanmi and I made a silent prayer for him.

I took a look at the live travel map that showed we were flying above the “Natashquan River” in Canada.

What? A river bearing a similarity with my name sounding like “Natasha Can”

Maybe this is a sign that I should not let this experience go but research more and share with you.

So I arrived Nigeria and began to research deeply; bearing in mind the professor warned that not all books are published as some information are preserved for the “discerning"

I searched up the Century Dictionary, the Slave ship named “White Lion”, Flora Shaw and the naming of Nigeria (what a story), the naming of the Republic of Niger; the Slave Coast of Niger Delta, Sir Goldie, Royal Niger Company, History of UAC & Leventis. the amalgamation contract

Wait a second… I searched for the 1914 Nigeria Amalgamation contract and found no answer. We know the English men to be high on documentations and record keeping so where are the amalgamation papers?

If you still don't believe let me ask you some quick questions
Who signed on behalf of Nigeria?

- Awolowo was born in 1909 and was 5 years at 1914

- Azikiwe was born in 1904 and was 10 at 1914

- Balewa was born in 1912 and was 2 years old at 1914

- Ahmadu Bello was born in 1910 and was 4 at 1914.

It’s clear that the formation and naming of our beloved country is shrewd.

We are lost… but we can find our bearing if we begin not only to have discussions about our existence but take proactive remedial steps.

Some would shove this off as “mere history”. However, remember the proverb “a river that forgets its source runs dry”.

2019 elections may have come and gone. A lot of cases hope for redemption at the tribunal. But I say this, its not over yet. We all can put voices demanding for disclosures of amalgamation/naming docs.
However, legislative and executive power matters in quickening the processes.

The Kogi governorship election comes up later in the year. Going through history, you shall see the possibilities of a New World being born from Kogi state.

Its possible to get a governor who would begin discussions towards a willing coalition of regions.

Until then, Nigeria is just a name given to a lucrative land of strong negro... The poverty capital of the world… a land afraid to be great. A land which feels it doesn’t deserve to be industrialized, educated, healthy and wealthy.

What’s in a name they say?

EVERYTHING!!!

Culled From Twitter

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by MobileGees: 9:09am On Jul 27, 2019
Lalasticlala please move to the front page, this article is a very important, priceless one.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by SouthSouthObser(m): 9:24am On Jul 27, 2019
Front page pls. This is very insightful

5 Likes

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by ContentedK: 9:28am On Jul 27, 2019
The afonja slaves and their masters will never agree with you on those glaring facts. It’s always “our beloved country Nigeria “ for them... I spit in this shiit hole, tueeeeh!!!!

14 Likes

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by b3llo(m): 9:36am On Jul 27, 2019
MobileGees:

Nigeria is simply a geographical expression of the imperialists’ greed and spite.

Recently, I was on a flight from Dallas to London when I struck an interesting conversation with an American professor of African history. We talked...

about the human race and countries.

America, he said was named after an Italian explorer called Amerigo Vespucci. Amerigo was known to denote his discovered land a “New World”. So long after her independence, the New World appropriated quite well with the dream of all Americans

“What about Nigeria”? He asked me.

“Flora Shaw Lugard coined Nigeria and her inspiration was the river Niger”. I replied.

“Wrong”. The historian responded. “Republic of Niger was named after River Niger not Nigeria”. That’s what white historians want you to believe.

I don’t understand the gullibility of blacks. With resources but won't research but dwell and believe all the white man says” He added.

Nigeria simply means “The Nigger Area” or “Land of the Black slaves”. Nigger was a common derogatory slang used for slaves” He bluntly said.

His words hit my heart sharply and I was grateful the cabin lights were dim so he couldn’t see the expression on my face. It was a night flight; we had 9 more hours to our destination so I had all the time to listen. Sipping slowly on my orange juice I beckoned on him to continue

The West African Region identified as Nigeria today was known to have supplied more slaves than any other country. The quality of human “cargo” was supreme and priced much more than slaves from other West African countries. The men were strongly built and expert cotton farmers.

Only wealthy plantation owners could afford slaves from “Nigeria”. Little wonder, slaves from your country were nicknamed “black gold” and the British slave ship named “White Lion” brought them into Virginia.

“I am still not convinced” I shot at the grey bearded historian.

“Very well, lets start this way” he continued...

What gave River Niger its name?

I looked blankly at him…

It’s the European Slave traders and done for easy mappings. That river was the longest cutting across many black lands.

River Niger simply means the River of Niggers or Negroes as you wish to say.

Listen dear Natasha, you must have an open mind to first agree that most of what you were taught in Nigerian history is distorted and made to confuse the people.

I said nothing and he kept on talking

The imperialists were very brutal with no humane sentiments to Africa. Their business was simply to exploit and trade for their advantage. The Berlin Conference of 1885 legalized Africa as distant colonies to the imperialists.

Most African countries were named by what suited the “masters”

Ghana was named Gold Coast because the abundance of gold Britain exploited.

Zimbabwe was named Rhodesia by Mr. Cecil Rhodes who treated the country like his company.

Oh, lastly he added, the oil colony of the Niger Delta part of Nigeria was called the Slave Coast.

It was so when Asaba was the capital of the Southern Protectorate under the ownership of Sir. George Goldie the founder of the Royal Niger Company which had headquarters in Lokoja

Natasha, I hope you know that Sir. Goldie sold the Southern Nigeria protectorate (land and people) to the British Government for £865,000 (eight hundred and sixty five thousand pounds) in the year 1899.

“Finally, finally” he added. “there was a debate on whether to name your country Negroland or Nigritia as you were the most populated black nation. However, those on Nigritia won and the word was added in the Century Dictionary in 1904 to mean a large territory of niggers/negros”

Thanks for your “lecture” I said

Listen, I am sorry if I upset you but your country is greatly admired world wide for its great resources especially its people. What happened to them is distortion of facts to enable indirect rule function at the detrimental discord of its people

All Nigerian people need do is reach out to their core and harness a common vision which can bring forth the missing patriotism. You guys will be a world power in no time with your fire and potentials. But first…

- reach your core

- find your truth

- build your nation

Hint: Ask for the Southern and Northern amalgamation contracts. These should be made public for Nigerians to know. Get to know what terms Nigeria was married upon.

I know the Royal Niger Company was given some dubious rights to half of all mining revenue for 99 years from 1900.

These documents should be with the British government, United African Company and Leventis companies as there were parented from the Royal Nigeria Company. That’s if they are missing at your government’s administration.

That’s right… UAC and Leventis are owned by ex slave traders and still grow their empires in Britain.

“Thanks once again dear sir. I need to get to my seat for some sleep”. I appreciated.

Just as I got to my seat, we hit turbulence and the seatbelt sign came on.

The plane shook violently, my mind went to late Pius Adesanmi and I made a silent prayer for him.

I took a look at the live travel map that showed we were flying above the “Natashquan River” in Canada.

What? A river bearing a similarity with my name sounding like “Natasha Can”

Maybe this is a sign that I should not let this experience go but research more and share with you.

So I arrived Nigeria and began to research deeply; bearing in mind the professor warned that not all books are published as some information are preserved for the “discerning"

I searched up the Century Dictionary, the Slave ship named “White Lion”, Flora Shaw and the naming of Nigeria (what a story), the naming of the Republic of Niger; the Slave Coast of Niger Delta, Sir Goldie, Royal Niger Company, History of UAC & Leventis. the amalgamation contract

Wait a second… I searched for the 1914 Nigeria Amalgamation contract and found no answer. We know the English men to be high on documentations and record keeping so where are the amalgamation papers?

If you still don't believe let me ask you some quick questions
Who signed on behalf of Nigeria?

- Awolowo was born in 1909 and was 5 years at 1914

- Azikiwe was born in 1904 and was 10 at 1914

- Balewa was born in 1912 and was 2 years old at 1914

- Ahmadu Bello was born in 1910 and was 4 at 1914.

It’s clear that the formation and naming of our beloved country is shrewd.

We are lost… but we can find our bearing if we begin not only to have discussions about our existence but take proactive remedial steps.

Some would shove this off as “mere history”. However, remember the proverb “a river that forgets its source runs dry”.

2019 elections may have come and gone. A lot of cases hope for redemption at the tribunal. But I say this, its not over yet. We all can put voices demanding for disclosures of amalgamation/naming docs.
However, legislative and executive power matters in quickening the processes.

The Kogi governorship election comes up later in the year. Going through history, you shall see the possibilities of a New World being born from Kogi state.

Its possible to get a governor who would begin discussions towards a willing coalition of regions.

Until then, Nigeria is just a name given to a lucrative land of strong negro... The poverty capital of the world… a land afraid to be great. A land which feels it doesn’t deserve to be industrialized, educated, healthy and wealthy.

What’s in a name they say?

EVERYTHING!!!

Culled From Twitter
Leventis. the amalgamation contract

[b]If you still don

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Natoski5(m): 9:37am On Jul 27, 2019
Wow!!!! Bravo!! Sir

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by godofuck231: 10:25am On Jul 27, 2019
The british bought nigeria from the southern part of nigeria and rented he north from the sultan , till date the synergy between them is still strong , once the sultan speaks the british effects thats why they see power in nigeria as their own rights , azikiwe knew something but didnt pass it on , when the so called founding fathers found out the truth and threatened to expose it the gave us our independence there by worsening the situation ,now the igbos have found out and want their exit from the cancerous marriage , in line with crude oil discovery but it ended up in a civil war ,
My observation is this , it will not ba an easy feat , they have their roots deep into the nigerian architecture , they can manipulate or sabotage the countrys futureas they wish

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by contigiency(m): 11:00am On Jul 27, 2019
You and that your co traveller are stupid set of people. Some people take delight in insulting and demeaning others. He found good name for his country but turned and told you rubbish about your country, instead of you to slap him, you jettisoned a well documented history which has been documented since time immemorial about the origin of your country, which you and countless others read from primary school up to university level and wish to believe his nonsense. Let him bring documents to support his position let's see.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by lukui: 11:19am On Jul 27, 2019
call me whatever name you like, I know who I am full stop

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by ticon4life(m): 11:26am On Jul 27, 2019
Nah wahoo!
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 27, 2019
contigiency:
You and that your co traveller are stupid set of people. Some people take delight in insulting and demeaning others. He found good name for his country but turned and told you rubbish about your country, instead of you to slap him, you jettisoned a well documented history which has been documented since time immemorial about the origin of your country, which you and countless others read from primary school up to university level and wish to believe his nonsense. Let him bring documents to support his position let's see.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the problem we have with Nigeria.

This is a prime example of a human animal, dumb, feral and possibly rabid.

Rather than keep an objective mind to information, you just come and spew trash. It’s people like you that swallow everything he’s told hook, line and sinker. It’s people like you that carry religion and tradition on your head.

There were some interesting points that were brought up, rather than think deep and investigate, you just type rubbish.

===============================

Anyway, Mr OP, do you think submitting a request to a British library/museum that may have a copy of that amalgamation document is a good idea?

They may deny knowledge or existence of it but it wouldn’t hurt me try.

Of course, we all have to take this with a pinch of salt

25 Likes

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Raysleek: 11:30am On Jul 27, 2019
I know who I am and I don't need anyone to tell me who I am.. It doesn't matter where I am or where I am from what matters is who I am. We all need to work on our minds. It's always the bigger the better. United we stand strong but divided we fall without a fight.!!!
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Jackossky(m): 11:39am On Jul 27, 2019
mrAMG2:

===============================

Seems the other way round.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by MobileGees: 11:49am On Jul 27, 2019
contigiency:

The bolded is everything that is wrong with Nigeria

Probably this short thread would help you
https://www.nairaland.com/5325259/brief-thread-shows-how-false

Put 8 monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling. Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable.

Soon enough, whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed on, set upon him and beat him up. Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder.

One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none of the other monkeys are doing the obvious. But undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder.

All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly and he has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer the crap out of him. This includes the previous new monkey,

who, grateful that he’s not on the receiving end this time, participates in the beating because all the other monkeys are doing it. However, he has no idea why he’s attacking the new monkey. One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced.

Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water. None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by rookidmart: 12:34pm On Jul 27, 2019
I don't even know where to start.

Wrong”. The historian responded. “Republic of Niger was named after River Niger not Nigeria”.
Both the republic of Niger and Nigeria are named after the Niger River because it flows all the way from Guinea, through, Mali, Niger and finally discharges in Nigeria in the Niger Delta.
FYI a delta is a landform where a river (in this case the Niger River) empties into a (larger) body of water (the Atlantic ocean).

Nigeria simply means “The Nigger Area” or “Land of the Black slaves”.
Quick question: why is it Nigeria that's "Nigger area", why isn't Republic of Niger the republic of Niggers?
Ironic that "he" said this before and yet, you dumb
nigger, didn't do any research but took his words at face value.

FYI, the word Niger is most likely a phrase from the Tamashek language gher n-gheren, meaning “river among rivers"
Tamashek language is a dialect of the Berber language spoken by the Tuareg people.

The West African Region identified as Nigeria today was known to have supplied more slaves than any other country.
Not true.
West Central Africa (comprising of the Democratic republic of Congo, Angola, etc) comprised most slaves during the Atlantic slave trade.

Finally, finally” he added. “there was a debate on whether to name your country Negroland or Nigritia as you were the most populated black nation. However, those on Nigritia won and the word was added in the Century Dictionary in 1904 to mean a large territory of niggers/negros”
Negroland and Nigritia actually mean the same thing and it is not just Nigeria.
It actually comprised of land from the Guinea region to the Sahara desert. There's a map on Wikipedia if you're interested.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by budaatum: 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2019
Who Chains You?

The op is being liberal with his "Nigeria simply means “The Nigger Area” or “Land of the Black slaves” and his "River Niger simply means the River of Niggers or Negroes as you wish to say". I mean, is everyone simple like him thinking he can just fill other peoples heads with simpleness!

Negro, and it's variants neger and negar derive from various Mediterranean language words for "black", including the Spanish and Portuguese word negro (black) and the now-pejorative French nègre. Etymologically, negro, noir, nègre, and nigger ultimately derive from nigrum, the stem of the Latin niger (black) (pronounced [ˈniɡer] which, in every other grammatical case, grammatical gender, and grammatical number besides nominative masculine singular, is nigr- followed by a case ending, the r is trilled). In its original English-language usage, nigger (then spelled niger) was a word for a dark-skinned individual. The earliest known published use of the term dates from 1574, in a work alluding to "the Nigers of Aethiop, bearing witnes". According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first derogatory usage of the term nigger was recorded two centuries later, in 1775.

Just you imagine what he'd say if we had been Niggeria!

Which leaves his "black slaves".

Well, I'm definitely black. And to be honest with you, if you want a donkey of a human being, strong as an ox, can work from dusk till dawn on little resource producing wealth when well managed but pretty clueless on my own, its me.

I mean, go take a look in the Land of the Free and the Brave and you'd see what the sweat of my brow and the blood of my veins and my whole entire being when managed well built, and I talk Kunta Kinte managed, whip, chains, rape and all, to get that donkeyness in me to be resourceful! I guess you can't do that no more seeing as its 2019 and not 1700, and to be honest, the closest you get these days is paying me a decent wage for my donkeyness because, it's just about the best donkeyness in the entire world, and I've since evolved and don't work farm no more but digitally, disciplined and for myself.

Let in be known that I, buda is a black slave from the area that the Niger flows through. A very proud arrogant Nigerian. After all, its not like anyone but myself chain me!

Slavery is not my shame. It's those who enslaved that should be ashamed of themselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAU5GqbDW0

3 Likes

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by sulakishop(m): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2019
Wetin this one dey talk
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by franklingud(m): 1:16pm On Jul 27, 2019
Land of slaves indeed!
And them bloody politicians are showing it.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Lovelive: 1:37pm On Jul 27, 2019
budaatum:
Who Chains You?

The op is being liberal with his "Nigeria simply means “The Nigger Area” or “Land of the Black slaves” and his "River Niger simply means the River of Niggers or Negroes as you wish to say". I mean, is everyone simple like him thinking he can just fill other peoples heads with simpleness!

Negro, and it's variants neger and negar derive from various Mediterranean language words for "black", including the Spanish and Portuguese word negro (black) and the now-pejorative French nègre. Etymologically, negro, noir, nègre, and nigger ultimately derive from nigrum, the stem of the Latin niger (black) (pronounced [ˈniɡer] which, in every other grammatical case, grammatical gender, and grammatical number besides nominative masculine singular, is nigr- followed by a case ending, the r is trilled). In its original English-language usage, nigger (then spelled niger) was a word for a dark-skinned individual. The earliest known published use of the term dates from 1574, in a work alluding to "the Nigers of Aethiop, bearing witnes". According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first derogatory usage of the term nigger was recorded two centuries later, in 1775. Just you imagine what he'd say if we had been Niggeria!

Well, I'm definitely black. And to be honest with you, if you want a donkey of a human being, strong as an ox, can work from dusk till dawn on little resource producing wealth when well managed but pretty clueless on my own, its me.

I mean, go take a look in the Land of the Free and the Brave and you'd see what the sweat of my brow and the blood of my veins and my whole entire being when managed well built, and I talk Kunta Kinte managed, whip, chains, rape and all, to get that donkeyness in me to be resourceful! I guess you can't do that no more seeing as its 2019 and not 1700, and to be honest, the closest you get these days is paying me a decent wage for my donkeyness because, it's just about the best donkeyness in the entire world, and I've since evolved and don't work farm no more but digitally, disciplined and for myself.

Let in be known that I, buda is a black slave from the area that the Niger flows through. A very proud arrogant Nigerian. After all, its not like anyone but myself chain me!

Slavery is not my shame. It's those who enslaved that should be ashamed of themselves!
Love it and love you. Kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by otipoju(m): 3:08pm On Jul 27, 2019
contigiency:

I learned early in life that there is the truth of what really happened and there is always the public version.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by shawnfamous(m): 7:09pm On Jul 27, 2019
I had an argument with a bearded law student in a barbers shop last week here in Ambrose Alli university.. We argued concerning how Nigeria got its name, he said nigger was coined from Negros meaning black. But all I learnt was the River Niger story, now I'm totally confused on what to believe now, cos there is no published work about this Negros thing
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 27, 2019
MobileGees:

]

I get your point, but if we take your argument to its logical conclusion, we would be forced to split up every African country into hundreds of smaller countries, which would be bickering and fighting over resources..in never ending wars.

Inasmuch as Nigeria is a contrapition, the truth is the alternative is far worse.

Now, go and stop supporting the corrupt..and put pressure on those that are in power. Better still run for office yoruself. Stop typing dreams on twitter and nairaland. Less than 2 million out of 200 million Nigerians are members here...

And no, I don't like APC or PDP either.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 27, 2019
Okay, let's see

1.There was no such thing as Yoruba land, Igbo land, even Hausa land before the whites came around.

Hausa land was divided into various emirates before Dan fodio came around..and even he kept the system in place...only his puppets replaced the previous sarkis.

Yoruba empire did not necessarily cover the whole of the South West...

And Ibo land was not united till the whites united them under Eastern region...

And let's not forget the hundreds of minority tribes, most of which were independent.

Is the OP suggesting we go back to the way we used to be...hundreds of biclkering and angry tribes fighting and enslaving each other...and with rampant bigotry that even makes today';s own small by comparison?

Nigeria is a contrapition. God knows this is not a perfect thing. We were unifed by the whites without our consent. But the alternative...no thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Mightyhaiz: 8:03pm On Jul 27, 2019
MobileGees:

Put 8 monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling. Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable.

Soon enough, whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed on, set upon him and beat him up. Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder.

One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none of the other monkeys are doing the obvious. But undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder.

All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly and he has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer the crap out of him. This includes the previous new monkey,

who, grateful that he’s not on the receiving end this time, participates in the beating because all the other monkeys are doing it. However, he has no idea why he’s attacking the new monkey. One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced.

Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water. None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.

you are indeed a gem
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by agoadiv(m): 8:27pm On Jul 27, 2019
this post has transformed my life
because of this post we now has clean water and constant electricity in my home town

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by bolayei: 8:29pm On Jul 27, 2019
MobileGees:

legend
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by bolayei: 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2019
Crazy how a lot of Nigerians don't know this already.

Niger means black. So Niger Republic is black republic.
Nigeria is black area
Niger delta is black coast or like the op mentioned slave coast. If you look at Jamaicans and you look at someone from delta the similarities are there even

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Blankstare(m): 8:44pm On Jul 27, 2019
budaatum:
Who Chains You?

Negro, and it's variants neger and negar derive from various Mediterranean language words for "black", including the Spanish and Portuguese word negro (black) and the now-pejorative French nègre. Etymologically, negro, noir, nègre, and nigger ultimately derive from nigrum, the stem of the Latin niger (black) (pronounced [ˈniɡer] which, in every other grammatical case, grammatical gender, and grammatical number besides nominative masculine singular, is nigr- followed by a case ending, the r is trilled). In its original English-language usage, nigger (then spelled niger) was a word for a dark-skinned individual. The earliest known published use of the term dates from 1574, in a work alluding to "the Nigers of Aethiop, bearing witnes". According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first derogatory usage of the term nigger was recorded two centuries later, in 1775.

Just you imagine what he'd say if we had been Niggeria!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAU5GqbDW0

I see you in the image of Nate Turner. Kudos, and God bless mother Africa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by kumulus(m): 9:00pm On Jul 27, 2019
Identity issues.....the very thing the bible preached in Gen. 3; "....and man became like US.."

Understand this and you'll have your eye opened!

-Lloyd
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Babalegba(m): 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2019
contigiency:
Try and leave the idiots alone.They would believe anything because of difficulties with cogitation.His 'professor' probably did a four weeks online course to get his degrees

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Yyeske(m): 10:12pm On Jul 27, 2019
ContentedK:
The afonja slaves and their masters will never agree with you on those glaring facts. It’s always “our beloved country Nigeria “ for them... I spit in this shiit hole, tueeeeh!!!!
What does a shithole produce? Pieces of shiit of course so tell me what you are
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by EmmySparky(m): 10:26pm On Jul 27, 2019
contigiency:
bro prove the Op wrong with facts or shut it... Stop making baseless comments... The Op has made lots of key points...

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Expect Much From Buhari’s Ministerial Nominees, Galadima, Dantiye / CCB Invites Magu Over Alleged Assets Fraud / Delta Assembly Passes Anti-open Grazing Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.