Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria (7263 Views)

Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination / Drama At NIMASA As Jauro Displaces Obi As Acting DG / A.C.N, A.N.P.P And Others Called For Interim National Government In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Mobinga: 11:44am On Oct 16, 2010

(CNN) -- Nearly 700 people in a small town within Lagos, Nigeria, will be moved to a relief camp due to heavy flooding that has plagued the region since September, according to a state governor.
Babatunde Raji Fashola made the announcement Monday while on a tour of flood-impacted areas.
In all, 681 people from the town of Ajegunle will be relocated to camps specially built for relief efforts, he said.
The flooding began last month when the Ogun River rose above its banks after the opening of a dam. No casualties have been reported.
While speaking to affected residents, Fashola emphasized that the area is in a flood plain and that people must be ready to move.
He said that the government alone can't solve the problem and they need help from everyone in the area to get through the flooding and limit the damage, asking residents to refrain from using flood-stricken roads.
"We have to wait for this water to subside," Fashola said. "Nature will take its course, but what we can do as a people is work together to mitigate the advanced consequences."
The commissioners for Special Duties, Health and Environment will work together with emergency management officials to relocate the displaced residents, Fashola said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/10/12/nigeria.flooding/index.html
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by 15: 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2010
Whats naturaly, it was just poor planning etc, the DAM IS THE DAMN CAUSE ,
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2010
Don't even try to travel to Ikorodu in a car, bus whatever. Park your car and jump bike!!!
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by samoks(m): 2:40pm On Oct 16, 2010
Thats Naija for you, when you instal a Lawyer as a minister of environment, what do you expect? putting square pegs in round holes,
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 3:28pm On Oct 16, 2010
i lik NIg. Nobody hardly dyee.If its Florida we wuld hear Hurricane abi Flood Katrina killed 10,000 people
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Oct 16, 2010
sley4life:

i lik NIg. Nobody hardly dyee.If its Florida we wuld hear Hurricane abi Flood Katrina killed 10,000 people
That is a lame conclusion and comparison, you know? What the heck? How anyone can make such a claim or jump to such a conclusion escapes me. Who told you no one dies as a result of flooding in Nigeria each year? Are you that conceited that you should ignore the reality just so you can claim one over floods and hurricanes of greater magnitude in another country? I bet you didn't even hear of the flood only 2 weeks ago in Jigawa that displaced about 2 million people either.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Pharoh: 4:12pm On Oct 16, 2010
samoks:

Thats Naija for you,  when you instal a Lawyer as a minister of environment, what do you expect? putting square pegs in round holes,

Who is more appropriate to be a minister of environment if not a lawyer?   You don't realize that we need environmental policies and laws in this country? Any other expats in forestry, water resources and management, architect etc can be part of the ministry as well or even the minister. I am just trying to point it out to you that a lawyer as a minister of environment is not out of place and there will be expats in other professional fields working with him/her whose profession are related to the environment in one way or the other.

Back to topic:  Good that they have relocated the affected victims, so government should really look into this and find a lasting solution to this flooding problem in that part of lagos state. Hope this will be enough reason for the people of ajegunle and environs to see the point why the state government wants to move them permanently away from that place. Though i feel for them as well due to the outcomes of past projects like maroko and their cultural connection to that place.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by jmaine: 6:42pm On Oct 16, 2010
Pharoh:

Who is more appropriate to be a minister of environment if not a lawyer?   You don't realize that we need environmental policies and laws in this country? Any other expats in forestry, water resources and management, architect etc can be part of the ministry as well or even the minister. I am just trying to point it out to you that a lawyer as a minister of environment is not out of place and there will be expats in other professional fields working with him/her whose profession are related to the environment in one way or the other.

Back to topic:  Good that they have relocated the affected victims, so government should really look into this and find a lasting solution to this flooding problem in that part of lagos state. Hope this will be enough reason for the people of ajegunle and environs to see the point why the state government wants to move them permanently away from that place. Though i feel for them as well due to the outcomes of past projects like maroko and their cultural connection to that place.

I like the part of your argument concerning regulatory laws needed to enforce compliance with environmental laws, A lawyer as the Minister of Environment is not just the best available option, Though we have environmental lawyers these days it is The Environment scientist who do the research and give out recommendations for compliance which the lawyers then put into papers to make it a law, and who told you that an environmental scientist can't interpret environmental laws, All environmental regulatory laws in Nigeria is an offshoot from the research data and indices from the environmental scientist, Now with this flood, who will best know how to handle it and give predictive solutions on how to avoid future occurrence , is it the law reading proffesional ? or the scientist who is conversant with the regulatory environmental law guiding Nigeria, we need to start putting professionals in their fields to do a good job and stop allowing faceless personal assistant to call the shotz, we need people who can be accountable for their actions and not mere figure heads in our parastatals, It's time we make contingency planning our watch word involving any socio-economic development and investment, Did the environmental impact assessment report of those enginneers predict that this scenario might occur, God protect those that are affected,
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by LouisThoru(f): 6:52pm On Oct 16, 2010
100%:

Whats naturaly, it was just poor planning etc,  the DAM IS THE DAMN CAUSE ,

which dam?
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Pharoh: 8:14pm On Oct 16, 2010
LouisThoru:

which dam?

The flooding began last month when the Ogun River rose above its banks after the opening of a dam.

jmaine:

I like the part of your argument concerning regulatory laws needed to enforce compliance with environmental laws, A lawyer as the Minister of Environment is not just the best available option, Though we have environmental lawyers these days it is The Environment scientist who do the research and give out recommendations for compliance which the lawyers then put into papers to make it a law, and who told you that an environmental scientist can't interpret environmental laws, All environmental regulatory laws in Nigeria is an offshoot from the research data and indices from the environmental scientist, Now with this flood, who will best know how to handle it and give predictive solutions on how to avoid future occurrence , is it the law reading proffesional ? or the scientist who is conversant with the regulatory environmental law guiding Nigeria, we need to start putting professionals in their fields to do a good job and stop allowing faceless personal assistant to call the shotz, we need people who can be accountable for their actions and not mere figure heads in our parastatals, It's time we make contingency planning our watch word involving any socio-economic development and investment, Did the environmental impact assessment report of those enginneers predict that this scenario might occur, God protect those that are affected,

Thanks for the rejoinder and your analysis on the subject of who is the best candidate to be a minister. Well it is due to our system of education that we have people who are just so specialized in one professional field. In the west a degree in lawyer goes hand in hand with atleast another degree or a substantial education in another field other than law. Do you think it is not possible for a minister to be a lawyer and at the same time an environmental scientist?. I rightly said that other professionals will be working in that ministry like the environmental scientist you have pointed out. They can do their jobs and give advice to the minister who is a lawyer and i don't think because he is a lawyer that he will be a noob when it comes to environmental issues.

Lets take ribadu as the head of EFCC for example, do you think as the head of that organization that he has all the knowledge in every aspect as related to economic and financial crimes? Their are accountants, investigators, criminologist, cryptologist and many other professionals working in that organization. It is a team work and anyone who has a significant professional experience relation to that field or organization can be the head. No man is an island to himself so you will always definitely work with other professionals. I am in support for a lawyer as the minister of environment because we need policies, laws and regulations more at this stage and someone who knows his onions when it comes to enforcing them. This is my take though for now but i always welcome different angles to issues, we are all learning from each other.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by babaowo: 8:29pm On Oct 16, 2010
hmmmm i pity those ppl who use to go from ikorodu to ketu,they face hell everyday.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Olalimits(m): 8:35pm On Oct 16, 2010
Its absurd to hear a thing of such happening in naija,hope things get better soon!!!
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by LouisThoru(f): 8:42pm On Oct 16, 2010
What is absurd in a natural thing like flooding?

When it is flooding in the UK, noone questions the degree of the Head of Environment.

Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by LouisThoru(f): 8:50pm On Oct 16, 2010
Abeg.

Flooding is not alien to Nigeria. Sometimes people have to reach outside the coocoon they live to know things happen elsewhere.

These are in the UK, it happens regularly. People dont kill each other with arguments.

Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by poweredcom(m): 2:36am On Oct 17, 2010
Umm Sad Lagos state has2 town called Ajegunle , This is the one Located at Ikorodu and I guess there is Another One called the Jungle city those days Located at Ajeromi Apapa/Bpoundary which is the Biggest and the realest known , This kind of disaster cant happen there because it is in a centralized location Apapa to the left , Mile 2 To the North and very populated,

As for This community in Ikoridu also called Ajegunle, well I sorry for them oo please help them Government
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by bimbor(m): 6:48am On Oct 17, 2010
A bike from Ketu to Ikordu will cost u 1,000 naira.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 7:37am On Oct 17, 2010
poweredcom:

Umm Sad Lagos state has2 town called Ajegunle , This is the one Located at Ikorodu and I guess there is Another One called the Jungle city those days Located at Ajeromi Apapa/Bpoundary which is the Biggest and the realest known , This kind of disaster cant happen there because it is in a centralized location Apapa to the left , Mile 2 To the North and very populated,

As for This community in Ikoridu also called Ajegunle, well I sorry for them oo please help them Government

Exactly my broda. At first, i taught it was the 1 at Ajeromi Boundary Apapa, but after readin ur post, i was overwhelmed with sigh of relief cos i gat families and friends over there.

I sympathise with the displaced victims and i pray the Government will help them get out of these mess !!!
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by namski(m): 10:17am On Oct 17, 2010
Probably a good thing that happened with the flooding. Should afford an opportunity for the place to be rebuilt if the state government has the will to go all the way. People might loose their homes, but abeg everybody must not be in Lagos.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by rotimiland(m): 10:26am On Oct 17, 2010
I once lived at that Ajegunle before. It's after Mile 12 on Ikorodu road. The experience was harrowing, especially during Rainy season. It's better, residents are relocated to a better place before lives are lost.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by VenChors: 12:17pm On Oct 17, 2010
Damn! Shame
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by chuqudy(m): 1:32pm On Oct 17, 2010
This is hand work of babalaos that full Yoruba land.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Reference(m): 1:40pm On Oct 17, 2010
I think all the residents should be relocated and compensated then the entire place shut down and designated a flood zone. Rebuilding is simply a crazy money wasting venture, certainly not in this climate. Or is it because insurance is not compulsory.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by marcus1234: 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2010
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by estatemark(m): 4:49pm On Oct 17, 2010
It is a global problem, shall we say climate change smiley
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Ak4ril(m): 5:02pm On Oct 17, 2010
bimbor:

A bike from Ketu to Ikordu will cost u 1,000 naira.

Is that so? I can't believe that.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by ohaechesi(m): 7:56pm On Oct 17, 2010
@Kobojunkie

I certainly concur that you are a patriotic Nigerian. I could sense the level of penchant passion you share amongst fellow Nigerians. It simply means that there are still good and reasonable people in Nigeria.

However, i'm aware of the 2million people displaced by flood in Kaduna or so and the cause voiced down to Chalawa and Tiga dam. of course, one could argue that it is a global thing but in all the flood that took place in Nigerian, they were all accidental discharge perpetuated by the states power supply service engineers. Now my question goes to those engineers. As professional they claimed to be, does it mean that they could not notice the increase of the dam and its negative effect on the masses if they should go on with the servicing of the dam or were they busy thinking on how to share their gained cake? Not as if after servicing the dam, the citizen will enjoy constant 1 hour power supply not to talk of the impossible 24hours power supply in the nation. I think people should learn how to put their fellow human being into consideration rather than being self centered. I have no doubt that those jobs were contracted to wheel barrow pusher who does not know his or her left from right. I think Nigerian government should quickly nip in the bud or else, carelessly, citizens could be consumed by fire on a very good day by amateur contractors.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by daqskin: 7:58pm On Oct 17, 2010
A bike from Ketu to Ikordu will cost u 1,000 naira. ? what happened to all the BRT buses?
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by tarano: 8:07pm On Oct 17, 2010
Development should be restricted in places around the state with very low profiles, Nigeria is not Great Britain, we can not afford to be wasting money every year on improving homes damaged by flood, Also as a warning to people in general, do not buy land in areas of low topography, aim for the high ground and build,
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by namski(m): 9:03pm On Oct 17, 2010
tarano:

Development should be restricted in places around the state with very low profiles, Nigeria is not Great Britain, we can not afford to be wasting money every year on improving homes damaged by flood, Also as a warning to people in general, do not buy land in areas of low topography, aim for the high ground and build,

I dont know how to agree with you, however there a flood control measures used in most part of the world and they do work. We can implement such measures in our place as well.
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 17, 2010
rotimiland:

I once lived at that Ajegunle before. It's after Mile 12 on Ikorodu road. The experience was harrowing, especially during Rainy season. It's better, residents are relocated to a better place before lives are lost.

Let people of Ajegunle relocate to Simawa Makun is very High mountain and the land, the land is pure dry land, the land is very cheapest, our own Garden of Eden Estate is just N380,000 per plot with 10% on outright payment or N19,000 per month for 20 months installment.

People of Ikorodu have started using the link road that RCCG constructed to link Lagos and Ikorodu together connecting Simawa at the middle of Ikorodu and Mowe, from Simawa to Lagos Ibadan Express is just 23 minutes smooth drive, because the road is presently good and maintained day in day out by RCCG because of there interest in this area, redeem member are currently or frequently using this road to reduces traffic along Lagos Ibadan Express way, I'm a redeem member, that is why i know all this, RCCG is proposing a new auditorium that will look like a stadium at this town called simawa and there University main campus is proposed to be in this town.

for more details about this estate please check our website on the signature or view properties under my id h$lbroker
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 17, 2010
daqskin:

A bike from Ketu to Ikordu will cost u 1,000 naira. ? what happened to all the BRT buses?
That is very expensive
Re: C N N :: Flooding Displaces Nearly 700 People In Nigeria by ohaechesi(m): 10:00pm On Oct 17, 2010
no doubt if ketu to ikorodu by bike cost even 2k, 9jia no dey miss opporyunity na.Lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Money Misappropriated In 2016 Budget – Dogara / How Lagosians Celebrated Christmas In The Year 1923 (photos) / Mid Term Report : Utomi, Others Rate Sanwo-Olu's Administration High

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.