Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? (33926 Views)

Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? / Buhari: More Powers For Kyari, Barrier For Ministers / Emir Sanusi Vs Governor Ganduje Before And After Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Johnspino(m): 1:11pm On Jul 31, 2019
I see a governor as a higher position. The governor is the chief executive of the state with much responsibility and decisions to carry out. A senator is 1 of 2 from your state. Individually they are limited by the majority leader. Their main responsibility is to represent the will of the people in your state, not their own private interests.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by AreaFada2: 1:22pm On Jul 31, 2019
obailala:
Even though we do not practice a proper kind of federalism, the truth is that Nigeria is still a federation whether we agree or not, and governors are mini-emperors, just like the president. Unfortunately, most governors still do not recognize the kind of powers they wield, that's why everyone still sucks up to Abuja.

He who pays the piper dictates the tune. Governors depend on Federal allocation. Even though it's theirs by right, a president can withhold it. OBJ did it to Tinubu in Lagos.

If governors depended like 90% on IGR, they won't even look the side of the president. They'd flex the muscle which they know they have. They all have an attorney-general in their state who knows the constitution.

Luckily Lagos has IGR far more than most, so Tinubu could afford to be stubborn back then.

Of course a governor as a chief executive is far more powerful than a single senator. People even leave the senate and FEC as ministers to try contest for governorship.

The Senate is now even "an old people's retirement home" for governors in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by onenew: 1:28pm On Jul 31, 2019
BluntBoy:

First of all, the Senate does not have the right to take over a state house of assembly.

As for who has more power, it is relative.

For one thing, senators and governors belong to different arms of government. Senators belong to the legislative arm and governors belong to the executive arm.

This means they have different functions. One formulates laws (senators), the other implements laws (executives).

However, the governor is more powerful in his state than the senator is in Federal level. The senator can only formulate laws, he cannot execute them. But a governor can formulate as well as implement laws using various executive institutions.

A governor can replace a senator from his state pending a rerun. A governor can institute a recall against a senator from his state. A senator cannot impeach a governor.

Obviously, a governor wields more power than a senator. The governor is just like the president on a state level while the senator is just a representative of the state who can only formulate laws.
This is not an issue you dissect with common sense; this is a matter of law. The senate has powers to take over the business of the state assembly except in the event where the governor and the deputy are to be impeached. The senate, in the case of Edo state might not succeed in excercising this power because the ssction of the constitution that empowers it allows it to do so only in an instance of break down of law and order. I refer you to section 11(4) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended.

1 Like

Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Awaja(m): 1:38pm On Jul 31, 2019
Taking over the state house of Assembly doesn’t mean unseating the Governor,a Governor governs the whole senatorial district in his state while a senator represents his SD at the federal level.
Reason am ,no comparison.

1 Like

Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Marcelo290(m): 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2019
Dino Melaye is a presently a senator, yet wants to be governor. I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by jidxin(m): 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2019
SUPERPACK:
yes since the number of people that elected the speaker is less than 2/3 of thse house of assembly.
no not entirely true....

The constitution has empowered both so they both must act within scope, so the Senate's powers are limited so also d governor and the senate cannot rule or act in a state where the constitution has not empower them
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by charlsecy(m): 2:37pm On Jul 31, 2019
cooljoe:
....repeal a judgement of even the supreme Court.
Senate repealing a Supreme Court ruling
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Alija(m): 2:38pm On Jul 31, 2019
Young03:

Lalclaticlala we wan learn nah
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by tunary(m): 3:05pm On Jul 31, 2019
Young03:

OK but does the Nigeria senate has the power to order a state governor on how to run his state?
You are truly Young. the senate has power over the president not to talk of governor, but only if a majority of them in the upper house come together before it's possible
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by abukuru(m): 3:13pm On Jul 31, 2019
You address the governor..his excellency and u don’t address senators his excellency...if u know the meaning of this your questions is answered
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by cooljoe(m): 3:27pm On Jul 31, 2019
charlsecy:
Senate repealing a Supreme Court ruling
yes I was tort something like that in school. But sorry I can't remember the specifics nor the enabling laws. But most of there potent powers are excreised in conjunction with the House of Reps - The National Assembly.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by chinedumoooo: 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2019
The governor has more power than the senators.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by follock007(m): 4:01pm On Jul 31, 2019
kolaaderin:
Governor is far more powerful than a senator. Except for the senate president which is the number 3 man in the country.

you will begin to see why a king is even inconsequential in power compared to the modern politicians they referred to as children...
By the way, a governor is a head of state but the senate president is not, so if the senate president is more powerful to a governor then i also think his colleagues who are heading constituencies/habitat under a state governors are too because Senators are like kings or hunters who don't play well with the others within their own circle or group, but they are well defined by state constitutions than the ones we used to know, those ones are only known to hobnob with wealthy people up and down the place... The senate as a whole is one body under direct rule of federal/central government as last resort unlike state commissioners... Lastly, everybody goes to court sooner or later.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by themanderon: 4:06pm On Jul 31, 2019
If Nigeria was a functional country where everything works accordingly will there be a need for this question?
Problem with Edo is that we have two power hungry oafs trying to flex their muscles.
The governor is supposed to be in charge of a state while a senator controls his constituents(there are 3 for each state).
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by leofab(f): 4:25pm On Jul 31, 2019
PqsMike:
Governor controls a whole state... senator controls senatorial district. But coalition of senators is more stronger than any governor.

Hello guys,

Please help my friend that was relieved of his Job @ Union bank(Mass sack) some weeks ago. He holds an HND in Banking and Finance. A married man with 2 wonderful kids. Hergently needs a job in any field. Make hunger no finish my guy...abeg help him.

coalition of senators VS coalition of governors ?
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by BluntBoy(m): 4:29pm On Jul 31, 2019
onenew:

This is not an issue you dissect with common sense; this is a matter of law. The senate has powers to take over the business of the state assembly except in the event where the governor and the deputy are to be impeached. The senate, in the case of Edo state might not succeed in excercising this power because the ssction of the constitution that empowers it allows it to do so only in an instance of break down of law and order. I refer you to section 11(4) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended.

OK. I realized you are right (and I am wrong) on the issue of whether the Senate can take over the affair of a state house of assembly.

We learn everyday. Thanks, bro.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Emekus042: 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2019
gidgiddy:
A Governor has far more power than a single Senator. However, a large group Senators have more powers than a Governor in the sense that the Senators can enact a law at the federal level that can destroy a Governor
For me i don't think the Senate or a Senator has any form of power over the Governor.The only institution that can question their action are the 2/3 of honourable member state how of Assembly.....i think Senator checkmates the President and other federal agency.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Wetlands22: 6:02pm On Jul 31, 2019
orisa37:
Governor.

Governors are even superior to President if they know how to manage. They govern, that is why they are Govern-ors.

True talk
Tinubu did it in the time of OBJ as presido
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Wetlands22: 6:04pm On Jul 31, 2019
spiritedtete:
2/3 majority of the senate are more powerful than the president... Talkless of Governor.. they can override a proclamation.
Wrong!!!
Even the whole Senate cannot overturn a president
Ask bukola saraki what happened to him
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by spiritedtete: 7:04pm On Jul 31, 2019
Wetlands22:

Wrong!!!
Even the whole Senate cannot overturn a president
Ask bukola saraki what happened to him

They can if they are in sync... Even if the president refuse to accent to a bill the majority in senate can vote for it and pass it.

Read your constitution.

But on the flip side.. I understand what you mean... It will be the difficult to overturn president decision because of loyalty of the majority in the house. But this is not rule of law.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by nextnear(m): 7:22pm On Jul 31, 2019
Young03:
I'm asking this question cos of the recent crisis in Edo state house of assembly.

The senate gave obaseki 3 weeks ultimatum to issue a fresh proclamation or they will take over EDHA.

Does the senate have the right to do that?

I Listen to what Sen rochas okorocha said about the ultimatum and also to what cruse Osagie said as well.

We want to learn
the chaos was planted by APC led federal government and Oshiomhole led APC National, but GOD will uproot them from both stem and root, just because Obaseki don't want to cooperate to loot money for them. I just hope and pray he survives this mutiny
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by PqsMike: 9:16pm On Jul 31, 2019
leofab:
coalition of senators VS coalition of governors ?

The Senate president alone is the Number 3 citizen of the country ..... Coalition of Governors no get any federal power....they can't enact any law
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by charlsecy(m): 11:04am On Aug 01, 2019
cooljoe:
yes I was tort something like that in school. But sorry I can't remember the specifics nor the enabling laws. But most of there potent powers are excreised in conjunction with the House of Reps - The National Assembly.
I think by the Assembly making a new law (constitutional amendments) which isn't an easy feat.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Tfreshzz(m): 11:26am On Aug 01, 2019
Governors are more powerful... With their immunity clause alone, it goes a long way.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Goldenonyx: 11:04pm On Aug 01, 2019
Governor.. Kwankwaso settled this issue when he was asked why he didn't return to the senate.

He said the senate is not a place where your people really feel your influence.. In other words a senator is not as influential and hence as powerful as a governor
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by VolvoS60(m): 12:15pm On Aug 04, 2019
Interesting thread. Very revealing comments wink.
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by Wetlands22: 2:24pm On Aug 17, 2019
spiritedtete:

They can if they are in sync... Even if the president refuse to accent to a bill the majority in senate can vote for it and pass it.

Read your constitution.

But on the flip side.. I understand what you mean... It will be the difficult to overturn president decision because of loyalty of the majority in the house. But this is not rule of law.
Lovely
On flip side too
If the president sent a bill to the House for approval and they refused
It takes 21 days and by veto it becomes law automatically
Read the same construction
Re: Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? by streetpaddy(m): 10:33am On Jul 26, 2022
Hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Insecurity: President Buhari Lands In Maiduguri / Moment APC NWC Nominated Akpabio For Senate President, Tajudeen For Speaker / Atiku Abubakar Replies Twitter User

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.