Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,910 members, 7,817,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

The Nigeria Water Project - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigeria Water Project (8010 Views)

Where Is The $280 Milion Dollars Loan Ameachi Took For "Rivers Water Project"? / Why Fg Doesn't Trust Amechi's Water Project / Akwa-Ibom Mini-water Project Collapses Killing One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigeria Water Project by spikedcylinder: 8:17pm On Oct 17, 2010
LadyT:

Love the ideas Ileke-idi can you get Aisha to post here so I can talk to her. I was thinking of doing a video diary or picture diary, so people can see what we are doing and where their money is going.

WOW this is crazy I was just doing research and I have seen other Charity called THE WATER PROJECT but they dont do stuff in Nigeria but WATER AID is in nigeria is this what Aisha is involved in?

I dont think that should stop us though. We can still do something!

I think Jay Z was running something with a similar name in Kwara.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by kcjazz(m): 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2010
Great idea. Don't slow down even if other charities are there, you can still make a difference. There is still like a million people without water in Nigeria especially in the North.

I want to help, let me know how, so far, I think you need a business/operational plan and I can do that for free (if you don't have it). That way you have a document to meet with corporate and foreign donors .
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2010
Sorry, i have been away for while, too many activities, I apologise. I dont know much about constructions but depending on the location, i can get people to do an estimate, plus, which ever part of the country we choose to start i can get some local politicians involved to support whatever is raised.
About the homes and hospitals, we can donate directly to the hopsital, whatever is raised on the paypal account, we can write a cheque directly to the hospital so no money goes to anybodys purse. Is there anything else i can help with?
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by LadyT(f): 11:14pm On Oct 17, 2010
Thanks Kcjazz can you email me please at mrscozy@hotmail.com anyone else can send me stuff there as well please.

Also any ideas on how do we approach these villages? I know we cant just turn up and start digging  grin.

I am getting info from Naija too about contractors etc and some estimates should be able to post some things this coming week.

Thanks Aisha as long as the local politicians dont try to pass it off as their Idea but it would be great as they could be our go between with the villages!

I dont actually know about writing a cheque to the hospital reason being patients are asked to always pay for their treatment I personally would like to see that money going towards people getting decent treatment and to prevent unnecessary death. I don't know maybe you guys can enlighten me further? But I do think Sweet T's hospital idea is the easiest and quickest thing we can start with.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by SweetT1: 3:24am On Oct 18, 2010
I also think the hospital project is a good project. If you have been to some Nigerian hospitals, you will shed tears if your heart is human. Especially the children's ward. You will be amazed at how people are neglected or die over a ridiculously small amount of money. If anybody's in doubt, i implore you to pay a visit to one of the big hospitals in Nigeria (UCH, LUTH, etc.). I know everyone can not give money sometimes but it will be nice if there is something you can do or give be it clothes, toys or groceries. Nigeria will not change from the top-down, it will take human to human interaction and kindness.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by kcjazz(m): 8:29am On Oct 18, 2010
LadyT:

Thanks Kcjazz can you email me please at mrscozy@hotmail.com anyone else can send me stuff there as well please.

Just sent you an email
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by semid4lyfe(m): 10:00am On Oct 18, 2010
Fingers crossed. . .bookmarks thread and makes a mental note to check back in a month's time.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by debosky(m): 7:29pm On Oct 18, 2010
I fully support this; we need to narrow down our options so our efforts can be focused to make a genuine difference.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:33pm On Oct 18, 2010
^agreed.

Areas you wanna start with?
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by debosky(m): 7:52pm On Oct 18, 2010
I like the borehole project. . . .we'd need to establish the costs, locations, etc so we can find out how feasible it is.

The hospitals case is a good one as well, but we need to focus on what type of help we want to offer - kids or adults, covering the bill of someone who's completed treatment or take on an ongoing case etc.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by LadyT(f): 11:10pm On Oct 18, 2010
Someone mentioned some Ekiti villages and I know someone mentioned the north. But to be honest my connections are south based for now so personally I'm looking at east south or south south etc.

Any suggestions? And possible problems with location
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by LouisThoru(f): 11:12pm On Oct 18, 2010
POster

Nice one. But wait till they tell you that you are out to "eat" their miserable money.

Thumbs up for u.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by spikedcylinder: 5:09am On Oct 19, 2010
LadyT:

Someone mentioned some Ekiti villages and I know someone mentioned the north. But to be honest my connections are south based for now so personally I'm looking at east south or south south etc.

Any suggestions? And possible problems with location

I think the folks in the North are more hard pressed for water than the South. It's like a desert in some of those places.
I'll see if I can get one of the Engineers at work to do and estimate for a borehole.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 5:13am On Oct 19, 2010
And someone should ask NL geek OYB if he can help with a site.

OMG, if you guys find the location and legit site, I know two good organizations on my campus who can fundraise and put some items together. But at this time of recession, plz dont hope high.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 19, 2010
LadyT:

Also any ideas on how do we approach these villages? I know we cant just turn up and start digging grin.

I am getting info from Naija too about contractors etc and some estimates should be able to post some things this coming week.

Thanks Aisha as long as the local politicians dont try to pass it off as their Idea but it would be great as they could be our go between with the villages!

I dont actually know about writing a cheque to the hospital reason being patients are asked to always pay for their treatment I personally would like to see that money going towards people getting decent treatment and to prevent unnecessary death. I don't know maybe you guys can enlighten me further? But I do think Sweet T's hospital idea is the easiest and quickest thing we can start with

Formally we would give cash but sadly we found out that money for treatment of patients especially when raise in hundred thousands or millions were diverted to fraudlent means by relatives and even parents, sad and shocking but real and gtrue, some parents will clearly tell u they have other responsibilties. Sace study: Joshua, read about it here, it was a battle for me with his mom and uncle cos i paid all that was raised into the hospital account. So we enter into partnerships with the hospital accounts and social welfare department, they recieve and honor cheques from us. This way, you giving will know where ur money is going and will be secure
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by LadyT(f): 7:25am On Oct 19, 2010
Thankyou Spikey! wink Every little helps @ ileke! grin

That's the problem with our people @ aisha
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 19, 2010
@ Lady T

Nice idea, but then again, you guys abroad know so little. Siting a borehole in all the communities was one of the MDG projects. In my state, most of the communities already have boreholes. But that's a problem on it's own. They are not functioning because of maintenance.

Are you going to install hand pumps or Sumos? Hand pumps are easier to maintain but very difficult to use.

Sumos on the other hand are easy to use but are high maintenance and need elctricity to function. Will you buy generators and make sure they are being maintained?

I always think boreholes are a mistake. Most communities already have water schemes. Why not look into the reticulation of these

If you are going to set up an NGO to provide water, then you should know that boreholes are not the only way to do that! What about areas with terrible formations, where you can't get water by sinking a bore hole? Or getting water will cost you and arm, a leg and an eye
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 19, 2010
@ Spiky. . . .

You can't just do an estimate for a borehole without first doing a geo physical survey of the specific area.

I'm going to suggest you guys do a NEEDS ASSESSMENT first. Find out if these already exist and if they are functioning. If they are not functioning, find out why!

I worked with an EU funded water project who focused on supplying water and reforming the water sectors in some states in Nigeria. I remember while we were setting up a water sector strategy plan, we had a lot of revelations. The initial idea was boreholes, but we quickly put that aside after the first crop of boreholes failed woefully.

We set up committees on water consumption in the communities to monitor out projects and only then did we begin to achieve results. Between the communities stealing away the sumos, tampering with the transformers and 'embezzling' the generators, we realized that while they never objected to the siting of the boreholes, they didn't even think they needed it.

Our programme had to close down the Jigawa office becuase these hausas are the worst people to work with!

Nigerians see NGOs as the quickest ways to make free money. You guys have to checkmate these!

There are existing agencies you guys have to work with, like RUWASSA. Also you can't do these things without the going through the state water corporations or ministry of water resources! Liase with these people and they'll guide you better!
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Abrantie: 2:44pm On Oct 19, 2010
[QUOTE]We supply Ghana electricity yet we dont have light? [/QUOTE]

Hah? Please elaborate and provide evidence. How is Nigeria able to supply Ghana with electricity?
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 19, 2010
Abrantie:

Hah? Please elaborate and provide evidence. How is Nigeria able to supply Ghana with electricity?
I think the following is what she meant

Nigeria resumes gas supply to Ghana for power generation
Following uncertainties over some months, Nigeria has finally resumed the supply of natural gas for the West Africa Gas Pipeline project, and Ghana will be able to power its electricity plant at Aboadze.

http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2010/04/07/nigeria-resumes-gas-supply-to-ghana-for-power-generation/
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Abrantie: 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2010
Lady T, would Nigerians be able to trust themselves to even run this proposed charity without shenanigans?

Even in hell, Nigerians are constantly in search of the key to satan's safe. Greed, I tell ya.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Abrantie: 2:59pm On Oct 19, 2010
[QUOTE]I think the following is what she meant

Nigeria resumes gas supply to Ghana for power generation
Following uncertainties over some months, Nigeria has finally resumed the supply of natural gas for the West Africa Gas Pipeline project, and Ghana will be able to power its electricity plant at Aboadze.

http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2010/04/07/nigeria-resumes-gas-supply-to-ghana-for-power-generation/[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, but that's not the same as supplying electricity. It's akin to saying, since Nigeria exports crude oil to the USA, Nigeria supplies USA with electricity.

Nigerian exports are not donations. It's a business. Your country earns good money from the West African Gas Pipeline. Your government's job is to now take that huge yearly income, not the pocket change from Lady T & NL, and provide amenities for its citizens.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by LadyT(f): 11:29pm On Oct 19, 2010
Abrantie@But can I ask why we cant use the same gas to provide electricity for ourselves surely charity begins at home? I think our pocket change is better than doing nothing at all. undecided

@Ujujoan The whole point of this topic was to get as much info and ideas as possible so thank you for pointing out that those of us aboard know next to nothing thats why I am asking for help.

And thank you for your information thats what is needed please keep it coming. I dont buy the idea of getting generators etc because of maintanace and people will need to buy fuel to run it the idea is to try to make life easier not put them into debt. Can you please highlight for me the problems with the handpump? Apart from the rubber wearing out but isnt there this new pump known as the Fairwater bluepump?

http://www.fairwater.org/

The reticalutions of current water holes I think is a no no unless we are just replacing handpumps since we dont know how the job was done originally I dont see how we can then go in there dig it all up and attempt to fix it or add other water systems/waste water systems we could actually be making it worse and wasting heaps of money.

You also mentioned areas with no water formations I think after doing background research it would be clear whether or not water was available in that particular area so I cant see why we would go to such an area. Or are you saying its very hard to find out if there is watger in a particular area.

Ujujoan:

@ Lady T

Nice idea, but then again, you guys abroad know so little. Siting a borehole in all the communities was one of the MDG projects. In my state, most of the communities already have boreholes. But that's a problem on it's own. They are not functioning because of maintenance.

Are you going to install hand pumps or Sumos? Hand pumps are easier to maintain but very difficult to use.

Sumos on the other hand are easy to use but are high maintenance and need elctricity to function. Will you buy generators and make sure they are being maintained?

I always think boreholes are a mistake. Most communities already have water schemes. Why not look into the reticulation of these

If you are going to set up an NGO to provide water, then you should know that boreholes are not the only way to do that! What about areas with terrible formations, where you can't get water by sinking a bore hole? Or getting water will cost you and arm, a leg and an eye

Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Kobojunkie: 12:21am On Oct 20, 2010
@Poster, not trying to be a downer at this point but aren't we past the point of funding more boreholes?  Are there options available for those who would rather throw their funds into helping  rehabilitate local Water-works or Pipings? I have fueled thousands into boreholes funds, many of those boreholes dried up by now. Do you currently have any projects dealing with rehabilitation of Waterworks in any LGA or community? I would like to contribute instead to such an endeavor. I no say na government job but people dey suffer.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by dayokanu(m): 12:29am On Oct 20, 2010
Kobo,

Most waterworks are run by the govt, So how do you hope to get your funds across
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Oct 20, 2010
dayokanu:

Kobo,

Most waterworks are run by the govt, So how do you hope to get your funds across

Well, I am not sure. All I know is I have paid for so many wells. Millions, who are not even Nigerians, have done so too. Why is the situation still the way it is, even worse now? As an organization, Nigerians can maybe pool money and resources together, get the state or LGA to allow the org work on rehabilitating the Waterworks at a reduced cost to the state or something. I am not sure. I just know it can be done.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well, I am not sure. All I know is I have paid for so many wells. Millions, who are not even Nigerians, have done so too. Why is the situation still the way it is, even worse now? As an organization, Nigerians can maybe pool money and resources together, get the state or LGA to allow the org work on rehabilitating the Waterworks at a reduced cost to the state or something. I am not sure. I just know it can be done.

It's because people sink boreholes where they are not supposed to. I mentioned the MDG boreholes. 80% of them are not functioning and the fact that they were sponsored by people in other countries breaks my heart! sad
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 20, 2010
LadyT:

@Ujujoan The whole point of this topic was to get as much info and ideas as possible so thank you for pointing out that those of us aboard know next to nothing thats why I am asking for help.

I'm glad you could tell that I didn't mean that as an insult! wink cheesy

And thank you for your information thats what is needed please keep it coming. I dont buy the idea of getting generators etc because of maintanace and people will need to buy fuel to run it the idea is to try to make life easier not put them into debt. Can you please highlight for me the problems with the handpump? Apart from the rubber wearing out but isnt there this new pump known as the Fairwater bluepump?

http://www.fairwater.org/

The major/obvious problem with hand-pumps is the difficulty of use because of it's mechanical nature. Like I said earlier, it's easier to maintain and is widely used in rural communities where boreholes exist. But the risk of abandonment still exists. A little fault can make them abandon the whole project without consideration for the costs incurred in installing them! sad sad

I have an idea, why don't you guys make your projects participatory. Let the community supply counterpart funding - no matter how small. You could ask them to decide which they want, hand pumps or sumos, and then pay for it. That way, they'll take ownership of the projects and ensure it's maintenance and sustainability! undecided undecided

The reticalutions of current water holes I think is a no no unless we are just replacing handpumps since we dont know how the job was done originally I dont see how we can then go in there dig it all up and attempt to fix it or add other water systems/waste water systems we could actually be making it worse and wasting heaps of money.

Well, I don't know about other states. But in Anambra, there are big water schemes (not boreholes), abandoned by the government and communities. It'll definitely cost less to reticulate than to sink a borehole. I mean if these people already have a reserviour, all you need to do is test the source of water and if it's relaible, you distribute!

Also, if you ignore the problem encountered with previous boreholes, you just might find yourself getting into the same trap!

You also mentioned areas with no water formations I think after doing background research it would be clear whether or not water was available in that particular area so I cant see why we would go to such an area. Or are you saying its very hard to find out if there is watger in a particular area.

Yes, geophysical survey will tell you if you can get water or not and the depth to dig before you can find water! Sometimes the cost of sinking a borehole in some areas (without any concrete assurance of getting water) is just plain outrageous.

Please conduct a Needs assessment first. Don't go giving people what they don't need. Let them decide if they want boreholes, or reticulation of existing water schemes!
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Kobojunkie: 4:15am On Oct 21, 2010
I would rather put my money into completing abandoned water schemes and rehabilitating abandoned waterworks than sinking more boreholes.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Water Project by SweetT1: 5:21am On Oct 21, 2010
I saw it coming, a thread cannot be this long without Nigerians breaking into confrontation and baseless arguments even when a good cause is at stake.
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by LadyT(f): 4:39pm On Oct 21, 2010
Ok lots of food for thought here wink personally I really dont see a major problem sinking boreholes in places that have never had any. Why should we ignore those areas because such projects have failed in other areas?

But from what is you guys are saying there is a need to repair previously installed ones. How do we do about finding out who installed it previously and how they installed it to avoid costly mistakes? If they dried out, is that because the pump died or the water finished?

Also there was a mention of asking the benefiting community to pay a small fee for the borehole to be repaired/newly installed. Why do you think that would make them maintain the borehole? As a charity how can we justify asking the people we are meant to be helping for money?

I await your responses!

Thanks Guys in order to do this properly even angle has to be looked at
Re: The Nigeria Water Project by Kobojunkie: 11:55pm On Oct 22, 2010
LadyT:

Ok lots of food for thought here wink personally I really dont see a major problem sinking boreholes in places that have never had any. Why should we ignore those areas because such projects have failed in other areas?
But from what is you guys are saying there is a need to repair previously installed ones. How do we do about finding out who installed it previously and how they installed it to avoid costly mistakes? If they dried out, is that because the pump died or the water finished?
I am not quite familiar with the mechanics of boreholes but I think majority actually did dry up. To get information, I think you would need to maybe contact individuals responsible for the maintenance of the boreholes, usually some community leader.
LadyT:

Also there was a mention of asking the benefiting community to pay a small fee for the borehole to be repaired/newly installed. Why do you think that would make them maintain the borehole? As a charity how can we justify asking the people we are meant to be helping for money?
I await your responses!
Thanks Guys in order to do this properly even angle has to be looked at
Charging them a small fee will likely cause them to take this more seriously. I know for a fact that many of the wells that were donated by one of the churches here are currently not being maintained and there are plans to get volunteers to go over and help fix them. Most of this can actually be done by those using the wells.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan's Mid-term Report photos by Aminho / Detained Blogger, Musa Azare, Released / Oyo State Signs Bill Prohibiting Violence Against Women (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.