Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,162 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG (18092 Views)

LASG To Remove Residential Buildings Converted To Worship Centres & Clubs / President Buhari Set To Approve Reopening Of Worship Centres / COVID-19: Abia Relaxes Lockdown, Work Resumes, Worship Centres, Markets To Open (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by edunwablog: 2:30am On Aug 02, 2019
The Federal Government has said it is working towards amending the Marriage Act.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Georgina Ehuriah, said in Lagos on Thursday that the amendment became necessary in order for the ministry to “adequately meet the needs of citizens in the 21st century.”

Ehuriah said this while delivering the keynote address at a stakeholders’ conference with the theme, “Achieving harmonious compliance in the conduct of statutory marriage in Nigeria,” held at Sheraton Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos.

The Ministry of Interior and local government areas had been locked in legal battle over who has the statutory power to conduct and issue marriage certificates.

Ehuriah said on Thursday that by the provisions of Sections 24, 30(3) and 30 of the Marriage Act, only the Principal Registrar of Marriages was authorised to print and distribute marriage certificate to places of worship throughout Nigeria.

“The implication is that any certificate not printed by and delivered by the Principal Registrar of Marriages is illegal and cannot serve the desired purposes,” she said.

She, however, said the Ministry of Interior was making arrangements to give couples whose marriage certificates were not issued in line with the Marriage Act opportunity to bring them to conformity.

Ehuriah added that the Ministry of Interior was making moves to “appropriately advise the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the legally-acceptable (marriage) certificate for the guidance of foreign embassies in Nigeria and Nigerian missions abroad.”

While disclosing that only 314 out of the 4,725 places of worship licensed by the Ministry of Interior to conduct marriages had renewed their licences, Ehuriah called on places of worship who had not renewed their licences to do so to avoid invalidating marriages conducted by them.

“The implication of this is that marriages conducted in unlicensed places of worship are not in line with the Marriage Act and cannot serve legal purposes when the need arises; and as such, unlicensed places of worship are operating contrary to Section 6(1) of the Marriage Act,” Ehuriah stressed.

The Permanent Secretary also said the Ministry of Interior had secured the necessary approval to establish Ikoyi Marriage Registry Annex “while arrangements are in advanced stages to establish Marriage Registries at Ikeja and Ibadan.”

“These, we hope, will, to a good extent, address some of the challenges being faced at the registry,” Ehuriah said.

https://punchng.com/well-legalise-unlicensed-worship-centres-marriage-certificates-fg/amp/

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by kayusely70(m): 2:56am On Aug 02, 2019
Does that means marriages joined at the local govt levels are null and void?

9 Likes

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by sweetyme001(f): 2:58am On Aug 02, 2019
Alright
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by spafu(m): 3:02am On Aug 02, 2019
Ok
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by odiereke(m): 3:22am On Aug 02, 2019
Let's see how the events would unfold
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Kiezodumah(m): 6:01am On Aug 02, 2019
Hi guys !.pls how safe is it to obtain a loan from online loan platforms such as ren money ,pay pal etc.. I had commenced the process of filling the form online but I got to a point where I was asked to give my BVN details.At that point I stopped because of fear of my details being hacked on the website by scammers..If anyone here has done such transaction and was safe ,pls kindly signify .Its important.Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by planB39047x: 6:02am On Aug 02, 2019
lpp
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by BizBayo: 6:03am On Aug 02, 2019
The plan is still in advisory mode. Only God knows how many month it will take them to alter the act.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by SolexxBarry(m): 6:05am On Aug 02, 2019
Nice move
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by kollinz1234(m): 6:05am On Aug 02, 2019
K
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by kollinz1234(m): 6:06am On Aug 02, 2019
kayusely70:
Does that means marriages consumated at the local govt levels are null and void?
Are u OK?

3 Likes

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by roundman: 6:06am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
Hi guys !.pls how safe is it to obtain a loan from online loan platforms such as ren money ,pay pal etc.. I had commenced the process of filling the form online but I got to a point where I was asked to give my BVN details.At that point I stopped because of fear of my details being hacked on the website by scammers..If anyone here has done such transaction and was safe ,pls kindly signify .Its important.Thanks
Very safe, sure your BVN number is required.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by slickbak(m): 6:06am On Aug 02, 2019
Some churches in 9ja exist only between the members n God. Unlicensed is an overstatement for them. I really hope their marriages can be upheld.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by SILVERLINES: 6:06am On Aug 02, 2019
Ok
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by kolafolabi(m): 6:07am On Aug 02, 2019
It's a welcome development.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by daroz(m): 6:09am On Aug 02, 2019
Why are they trying to make everything complicated?
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Wantedmiller: 6:09am On Aug 02, 2019
Everything in Nigeria get K leg......
I still believe in Nigeria.....

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by captianfreeman(m): 6:09am On Aug 02, 2019
Una still dey on this matter?
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Okoyeeboz: 6:09am On Aug 02, 2019
kayusely70:
Does that means marriages consumated at the local govt levels are null and void?

To consumate a marriage means to have sex with your spouse.

So, I ask you: do you bleep your spouse at the Local government or na Federal bleeping you dey give am?

17 Likes

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Okoyeeboz: 6:10am On Aug 02, 2019
kollinz1234:
Are u OK?

E no sabi the meaning of consummation. grin
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by chinavs9ja(m): 6:11am On Aug 02, 2019
Mtcheew

Check my signature if you need a website
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by prigoz(m): 6:11am On Aug 02, 2019
Waiting concern me with marriage at 68 and single still searching, do you think I will need it again ? Knowing fully well that I won't marry again
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by SheikhMuniru(m): 6:17am On Aug 02, 2019
prigoz:
Waiting concern me with marriage at 68 and single still searching, do you think I will need it again ? Knowing fully well that I won't marry again

Heyah Sorry En, You Gotta Appeal To Your Village People Cos They Are The One Behind Your Problem

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Bridgovoks: 6:19am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
Hi guys !.pls how safe is it to obtain a loan from online loan platforms such as ren money ,pay pal etc.. I had commenced the process of filling the form online but I got to a point where I was asked to give my BVN details.At that point I stopped because of fear of my details being hacked on the website by scammers..If anyone here has done such transaction and was safe ,pls kindly
signify .Its important.Thanks
I use Paylater now changed to Carbon
Very reliable. Your bvn is required to enable them laise with your bank. For Carbon it's safe, i don't know of other platforms

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Opexzy: 6:19am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:

I have used paylater once and they demanded that too.. I think it's to know your identity and to be able to withdraw their money from your bank accounts if u refused to pay up...

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Amergred542425: 6:20am On Aug 02, 2019
Hmmm
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by emma321(m): 6:22am On Aug 02, 2019
See, tell me if this is Nigeria's problem, usele.ss government
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 02, 2019
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by wolesmile(m): 6:30am On Aug 02, 2019
Se ohun to kan ree??
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by bamasite(m): 6:33am On Aug 02, 2019
Mtcheeeew
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by SwaGUnLimiTeD(m): 6:34am On Aug 02, 2019
So na this one we still dey on ... SmH
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by emydnobl: 6:36am On Aug 02, 2019
SwaGUnLimiTeD:
X

FG is funny.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi Election: INEC Official Abducted In Lokoja / ANAP: Deji Accuses Poll Organiser Of Having Links With Obi / Orji Uzor Kalu's 2019 Presidential Posters Under APC Flood Umuahia(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.