Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,813 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis (2031 Views)

Buhari Deploys Service Chiefs To Niger Delta Over Rising Militancy. / Children Welcome President Buhari To Niger Republic In Style (photo) / Did Azazi Supply Arms To Niger Delta Militants? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2010
I think the immediate solution to this Niger-Delta crisis is immediate NATIONALIZATION of oil wells. Thay way Oil wells will no longer belong to Northern generals but Nigeria.

The Militants can not also lay claim to a National resource or property as that will also be criminal.

Government can then legislate environmental protection laws to protect the riverine people.

Read Asari Dokubo's expose below to see the criminality going on in Niger Delta. Politicians, Militants etc are all thieves.

Federal Government must intervein.

http://saharareporters.com/interview/asari-dokubo-me-henry-okahjomo-gbomo-judith-asuni-and-niger-delta-insurgency
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by koruji(m): 6:46pm On Oct 17, 2010
Say, what? Obviously, u don't have clue about this particular issue.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by peacesak: 7:21pm On Oct 17, 2010
The people are already fighting because they claim you took their property yet you come with a solution of nationalizing their property even more. Its funny you even call it a solution. grin
krendo:

I think the immediate solution to this Niger-Delta crisis is immediate NATIONALIZATION of oil wells. Thay way Oil wells will no longer belong to Northern generals but Nigeria.

The Militants can not also lay claim to a National resource or property as that will also be criminal.

Government can then legislate environmental protection laws to protect the riverine people.

Read Asari Dokubo's expose below to see the criminality going on in Niger Delta. Politicians, Militants etc are all thieves.

http://saharareporters.com/interview/asari-dokubo-me-henry-okahjomo-gbomo-judith-asuni-and-niger-delta-insurgency
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 17, 2010
oil is nobody's private property.

Oil wells belong to Nigeria.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Beaf: 7:55pm On Oct 17, 2010
krendo:

Go and learn before you open your mouth. This article is a good starting point; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_nigeria
When you people grew groundnuts, was the land nationalised? No insult infered, but, don't open your mouth on issues you are clearly ignorant of, read the link I gave above from beginning to end, after that, read as many of its references as possible. When that is done, come and post an article and you'll be making sense, not talking over your head.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by jason12345: 7:58pm On Oct 17, 2010
krendo:

i can reason with ur idea but it would not work  tongue
if u want that idea to work, the government has to develop the n/d in sure a way that there wuld be no need for them to be fight( ie if they hav a good living standard)
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by koruji(m): 9:44pm On Oct 17, 2010
krendo:

Not that you are thief, but this is the idea that a thief could easily use to justify stealing. Most things really don't belong to anybody - and contrary to what you think, that is really the source of the problem. Only when property rights are clearly defined and enforced have humans been able to organize for proper development.

Of course, there is always a question of how you acquire the property rights you are enforcing in the first place, but that is besides the point.

It is a natural law of justice, applied to property rights, that what comes out of what you own also belongs to you. Definitely part of the oil also belongs to "Nigeria" as long as the oil region remains part of Nigeria, but it is first of all the property of those who own the land if their property rights to the land is well-established.

To apply your concept would also be to tell the farmer he doesn't own his crops because when he put a tiny seed in the ground he comes back to harvest 10 times or more from the plant.  You see the point? And don't come back to tell me that the farmer cultivates the soil, etc. The question is did he create the soil or photosynthesis technology. Also, it is not as if the Niger Deltans would put straw in the ground and suck out the oil if given their property rights to the resources - they also have to toil at it (i.e. oil producing companies have to come in to help and get paid).

What the Nigerian government has being effectively doing is collective stealing, and no wonder those closest to the proceeds have no qualms about stealing it - this lack of recognition of natural justice in all areas of our life is responsible first and foremost for our sorry state of affairs. When you steal from someone, expect to be stolen from, one way or the other.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by GAR3TH(m): 9:52pm On Oct 17, 2010
the problem with the Nigeria Delta is Money, the Federal government, oil companies etc give state and local governments billions of dollars in allocations but because of corruption, they dont see the money being put to use. so in my opinion, its the Niger Delta state & local gov that is the issue. . .and less blame should be put on the oil companies and federal gov, even though both are also corrupt.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Abagworo(m): 9:54pm On Oct 17, 2010
The simple solution is true federalism and resource control.As for the ones more than 5 miles offshore,they can remain under the central government.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by EzeUche0(m): 9:57pm On Oct 17, 2010
Oil belongs to the Niger Deltans. angry

If their is oil in my village, then it belongs to the people of my village since it is our LAND!

It doesn't belong to someone who doesn't know my village exist.

The same goes for other Niger Deltans.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 17, 2010
jason12345:

i can reason with your idea but it would not work  tongue
if u want that idea to work, the government has to develop the n/d in sure a way that there wuld be no need for them to be fight( ie if they hav a good living standard)

As we speak oil wells are controlled by a few connected guys. This should not be the case.

A serious Government will control the oil wells but allow private companies to run the refineries. That way the clamour for removal of subsidies from petroleum products will make sense.

But now what we have is oil wells in private hands and this group of connected guys who own it make money from selling Nigeri'a natural resource without doing any work except that they are connected. While the difficult job of running a refinery as an efficience business which should be the trouble of businessmen is left to the Government to run.

Forget about sentiments and geography. The fact remains that there will never be a time when if oil is discovered in a certain village it becomes the property of that village or the property of the nearest man to the oil well. Oil wells will continue to be a property of the federal government but our corrupt Government have simply used it to share to their friends who sell the contents on the black market in other to avoid transparency.

The answer is Nationalization of oil wells, but privatizations of refineries. Not the other way round.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Beaf: 10:28pm On Oct 17, 2010
^
Dude, something tells me you mean well, but when we speak in ignorance, it can be percieved as wickedness by those affected. Read the link I gave you to educate yourself about the oil industry in Nigeria. Koruji gave a few hints that lead to the land use act, read up on it. When you are done , you wouldn't innocently propagate some of falsehoods you are guilty off on this thread.

Niger Deltans are not out to do Nigeria in or sieze the oil, no they want justice and equity; not some braindead idea of how to further nationalise what is already nationalised (you do not understand out of ignorance); Niger Deltans are nobodies slaves.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Abagworo(m): 10:37pm On Oct 17, 2010
@beaf.Why are you now pretending to be siding the Niger Deltans.You were once claiming that Asari and Ateke are the real MEND.If you truely love Niger Deltans tell the President to implement resource control and stop emphasizing on our son being the President while business continues as usual.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Beaf: 10:46pm On Oct 17, 2010
Abagworo:

@beaf.Why are you now pretending to be siding the Niger Deltans.You were once claiming that Asari and Ateke are the real MEND.If you truely love Niger Deltans tell the President to implement resource control and stop emphasizing on our son being the President while business continues as usual.

My friend, carry your braindead politicking elsewhere. You previously always 100% identified yourself as a proud Igbo man, who never dabbled in Niger Delta issues, but after the Abuja bombing, you suddenly seem to have had your “road to Damascus” moment and your identity has undergone a miraculous metamorphosis to Niger Deltan.

Na wa! Are identities for sale?
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Abagworo(m): 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2010
Beaf:

My friend, carry your braindead politicking elsewhere. You previously always 100% identified yourself as a proud Igbo man, who never dabbled in Niger Delta issues, but after the Abuja bombing, you suddenly seem to have had your “road to Damascus” moment and your identity has undergone a miraculous metamorphosis to Niger Deltan.

Na wa! Are identities for sale?

The above comments puts your maturity in doubt and goes as well to establish you as an Igbo hater.I am a proud Igbo man and also a Niger Deltan.If your definition of Niger Delta means non-Igbo,my guess is that I have no need to argue with you.We have well over 45 oil wells in my area alone and we have both river niger, orasi and several other tributaries that define a delta.If not for balkanization Ohaji,Egbema,Oguta,Ogba and Ndoni would have been in one state as riverine or oru Igbos.Now tell me your town and what you contribute in Niger Delta.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by jason12345: 11:10pm On Oct 17, 2010
krendo:

As we speak oil wells are controlled by a few connected guys. This should not be the case.

A serious Government will control the oil wells but allow private companies to run the refineries. That way the clamour for removal of subsidies from petroleum products will make sense.

But now what we have is oil wells in private hands and this group of connected guys who own it make money from selling Nigeri'a natural resource without doing any work except that they are connected. While the difficult job of running a refinery as an efficience business which should be the trouble of businessmen is left to the Government to run.

Forget about sentiments and geography. The fact remains that there will never be a time when if oil is discovered in a certain village it becomes the property of that village or the property of the nearest man to the oil well. Oil wells will continue to be a property of the federal government but our corrupt Government have simply used it to share to their friends who sell the contents on the black market in other to avoid transparency.

The answer is Nationalization of oil wells, but privatizations of refineries. Not the other way round.
i think u are right because oil well belong to nigerians not nigerdelta people alone lipsrsealed
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Beaf: 11:15pm On Oct 17, 2010
Abagworo:

The above comments puts your maturity in doubt and goes as well to establish you as an Igbo hater.I am a proud Igbo man and also a Niger Deltan.If your definition of Niger Delta means non-Igbo,my guess is that I have no need to argue with you.We have well over 45 oil wells in my area alone and we have both river niger, orasi and several other tributaries that define a delta.If not for balkanization Ohaji,Egbema,Oguta,Ogba and Ndoni would have been in one state as riverine or oru Igbos.Now tell me your town and what you contribute in Niger Delta.

You have never previously identified with the cause of the Niger Delta, but after the Independence Bomb Blasts, something suddenly shook in you; you had your epiphany and became an overnight Niger Delta expert. Strange.

Dude, I'm sure you are smart enough to distinguish between identity and ethnicity. Your identity is who you choose to roll with, so please spare me the cheap tribalism.

Ever heard of the chameleon?
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by johndoe200: 11:59pm On Oct 17, 2010
The ONLY lasting solution to the Niger delta crises is for the oil to be turned over in totality to the owners of the land. Neither the federal Government or any company or individual should own an oil well.

They should get oil and pay royalty to the owners - us.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Abagworo(m): 12:04am On Oct 18, 2010
Beaf:

You have never previously identified with the cause of the Niger Delta, but after the Independence Bomb Blasts suddenly shook something in you, then you had your epiphany and became an overnight Niger Delta expert. Strange.

The difference between you and I is that I always stand by the truth.You are deliberately trying to twist the Niger Delta struggle from resource control to Presidency.If there is no true federalism,Nigeria might not last beyond 2011.There is need to address this key issue but you keep talking about election as if it is what the Niger Delta has been fighting for.I only started criticizing the President after he denied MEND's involvement and brought criminals to come and claim MEND that we have value for.I still repeat myself that Asari and Ateke are just retired pirates and bunkerers.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Abagworo(m): 12:14am On Oct 18, 2010
“I’m a voice that the people listen to. The real fighters in the Niger Delta listen to my voice.” Okah said he sympathises with those[b] fighting to change the distribution of oil revenue in the Delta[/b], the restive heart of Nigeria’s oil industry. But he denied involvement in the blasts, saying his arrest on “terrorism” charges was part of a political plot by Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, a native of the Delta, to discredit his opponents ahead of elections next year. “It is about these elections and the Nigerian government’s belief that I’ m working on the side of the opposition,” he said. Okah says he received a text message from one of Jonathan’s advisors after the blasts asking him to have MEND retract its claim of responsibility for the attacks.

@beaf.I believe in the 1st bolded while you stand for the 2nd.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Beaf: 12:31am On Oct 18, 2010
@Abagworo

You seem to be inhabiting a strange world of hallucinations, where you create your own counter arguments to arguments that were never made.

Here you are, misfiring about crazy schemes, MEND, elections, the President and other matters wholly disconnected from the present topic, whereas the OP is asking a totally different question which strikes at the human rights issues in the Niger Delta.
Nobody has mentioned the strange angles you are "arguing" about, nor has the need arisen. Dude, what the hell are you smoking? I bet you are having a grand weekend sha?

You tried tribalism earlier, that failed, now you want to introduce current politics. Dude, you have failed again. Now I am waiting for you next diversionery step, what will it be? The introduction of jass? Na wa o!

Chameleons sha!
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by koruji(m): 12:41am On Oct 18, 2010
You are testing people's patience here.

Don't you understand that what you are advocating i.e. all oil wells belong to the government is what we have in place right now. What the connected private individuals have is a right given by the government to drill and extract, since civil servants know nothing about oil extraction - ownership resides with the Nigerian government. In the same vein, your complain that Nigeria's oil well is "owned" by a few connected individuals is also the consequence of nationalization - inefficiency, corruption, etc.

How can anyone advocate government as a manager of any business in Nigeria - we have NEPA, NITEL, NNPC, etc as conclusive examples that government does not do well with managing productive enterprises - they have no incentive to do it well.

Nations that seem to have a clean system do so partly because they keep government ownership of things to a minimum. Government ownership is the equivalent of nobody owning it - and in such cases connected individuals end up owning whatever it is. That is exactly what we are dealing with now.

krendo:

Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Abagworo(m): 1:52am On Oct 18, 2010
@beaf.

I don't intend trading words with you because you are for politicians while I am for the masses.Scroll up and you would notice what I wrote and what I believe will be a lasting solution to the Niger Delta crisis.

True federalism and resource controlled by the different federating units.The processes can be initiated by holding a sovereign national conference where the federating units will be determined by choice and not by force.For example Akwaibom and Cross river might prefer a zone with Abia and Ebonyi and not forcefully placed in South-South or Southeast.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Beaf: 2:26am On Oct 18, 2010
Abagworo:

@beaf.

I don't intend trading words with you because you are for politicians while I am for the masses.Scroll up and you would notice what I wrote and what I believe will be a lasting solution to the Niger Delta crisis.

True federalism and resource controlled by the different federating units.The processes can be initiated by holding a sovereign national conference where the federating units will be determined by choice and not by force.For example Akwaibom and Cross river might prefer a zone with Abia and Ebonyi and not forcefully placed in South-South or Southeast.

No, you are for IBB. And it poisons your mind so much that you can't even keep to topic, instead you begin to invent wonderful positions for others and their counter arguments; all in an argument with yourself. You could have said the above at first, instead of misfiring, meandering and staggering on about ethnicity, elections and other weird stuff that have no bearing on the topic (perhaps, you were finally shamed into saying something sensible by the word, "chameleon"wink.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by udezue(m): 2:29am On Oct 18, 2010
OP, u offered nothing but more problems than solution due to your ignorance or sheer wickedness and stupidity. Whatever resources in any any community belongs to the community be it Ogoni, Igbo, Fulani and their fellow desert rats. Its common sense. In Texas, Louisiana, and other gulf states the oil including offsore oil belongs to the state and the people hence we enjoy the benefits more than states that lack it. The other states have their own different resources and ways of making revenues and profits belong to them too. Our environment is well taken care of by state and federal govt. I'm sure u saw the recent oil spill and the federal govt responded to the plight of gulf state people? When Nigerian govt starts doing the samething then there will be peace.
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by udezue(m): 6:26am On Oct 18, 2010
Beaf, I'm begining to lose every bit of respect for you. Please tell me what defines anyone as Niger-deltan? What ethnic groups are Niger-deltan?
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Beaf: 7:13am On Oct 18, 2010
udezue:

Beaf, I'm begining to lose every bit of respect for you. Please tell me what defines anyone as Niger-deltan? What ethnic groups are Niger-deltan?

You don't have to read everything I write upside down, you've been doing that quite a lot. I made it clear that what I meant was identifying with the cause.
There are people like yourself and OnlyTruth that I have always seen regularly on ND issues, but never Abagworo; in fact, his sudden conversion to an ND expert is something that can be given a date (October 1st 2010).

There is nothing about ethnicity in my description, and I made that clear when Abagworo attempted to drag me down that route. But, you yourself tell me, have you seen Abagworo so passionate about ND issues anytime before two and a half weeks ago?
Re: The Immediate Solution To Niger-delta Crisis by Abagworo(m): 8:19am On Oct 18, 2010
Beaf:

No, you are for IBB.

It is quite clear that I have never for once advocated for any of the contestants.I thought GEJ was the man until October 1st.I won't vote for any of the contestants at the moment until I read their manifesto and weigh their commitment towards a better tomorrow for my children.For now I will continue to criticize any lies told by GEJ,Ribadu,Buhari(who by the way has the best track record) and IBB.

(1) (Reply)

Shocker: President Goodluck Shunned YarAduas Burial / Why Do We Hate Ourselves? / Will Nigeria Ever Break Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.