Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,996 members, 7,817,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Why Do We Hate Ourselves? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We Hate Ourselves? (2031 Views)

Odinkalu, Fani-kayode In Twitter War Over Hate Speech. / Should We Hate The Corrupt Politicians Or The Religious Leaders Campaign? / Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by igbo2011(m): 12:35am On Sep 30, 2011
Africans are the most confused race on this planet! We will be anything other than ourselves and that is like spitting on the God that created you. We will speak any language other than our own, we will wear any hair style other than our own, we will worship any God other than our own, we will go to any temple other than our own, we will wear any clothes other than our own. We simply hate ourselves or were made to hate ourselves,any which way we do hate ourselves.

Why are we like this? We need to wake up wear our own clothes, do our own religions, we wear other people's hair. As Malcolm X said, "Who taught you to hate ourselves?"

Let's wake up from this nightmare.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by aljharem3: 12:40am On Sep 30, 2011
It is called inferiority complex

people try to push others down so they can fell important

that can be seen in Ghana and Nigeria

etc
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Nnenna1(f): 1:40am On Sep 30, 2011
Collective low self-esteem in the Black Race.

Symptoms: Inter-Tribal Hatred, Intra-Tribal fights. Leaders who could care less about their citizens but bend over for foreigners. Nigerian in Nigeria who disregard one another but pucker up for expatriates. Men who call their women ugly and subjugate them. Women who call their men useless but will give others the benefit of the doubt. Our creations perceived as sub-standard. Crab mentality. African countries deriding fellow African countries. Success of Africans/Blacks mostly measured through White Validation or inclusion (e.g. Positions in Western governments or Top Western institutions being revered above all positions, All Black French Vogue being celebrated, Obama being Elected President in America being celebrated by blacks worldwide, Halle Berry's Oscar Win being celebrated, Africans making TIME 100 most influential people or Forbes Richest people being celebrated, Miss Angola winning Miss Universe being celebrated as Black victory).

I'm guilty of some of the above myself. Sometimes I reflect but this is world we are born in.  sad
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Desola(f): 1:42am On Sep 30, 2011
. . .but we are Nigerians! We don't rock low self esteem, we rock swaggerism!! grin
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Desola(f): 1:43am On Sep 30, 2011
. . .except the okoros of course. They are Biafrans, not Nigerians so maybe they are the ones with the esteem issues. grin
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by igbo2011(m): 2:29am On Sep 30, 2011
Look at our names too. Many Nigerians have English names, do any English people have Nigerian names?? We always try to be other people instead of ourselves.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Beaf: 2:37am On Sep 30, 2011
igbo2011:

Look at our names too. Many Nigerians have English names, do any English people have Nigerian names?? We always try to be other people instead of ourselves.

I wish it was just names only. What about our musicians pretending to have Jamaican accents? The Jamaican population is a under 3million, but Nigeria is a country of 160million, representing 20% of the entire African population. How can a country of 160million mimic the people of a country of under 3million? Na swear? embarassed
Its a really disgraceful display of lack of self-esteem.

I feel so much pain discussing Nigeria sometimes. We need to buckle our boots and start matching forward.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Nobody: 2:39am On Sep 30, 2011
Beaf:

I wish it was just names only. [size=28pt]What about our musicians pretending to have Jamaican accents?[/size] The Jamaican population is a under 3million, but Nigeria is a country of 160million, representing 20% of the entire African population. how can a country of 160million mimic the people of a country of under 3million? Na swear? embarassed
Its a disgraceful display of lack of self-esteem.

That thing is [size=28pt]VERY[/size] annoying. That's why I barely listen to Naija music (unless its Gospel, I love our gospel).
2Face is the best so far IMO. Apart from 2Face, Dbanj and psquare (jus started with them), nothing else is there.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Relax101(m): 3:00am On Sep 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That thing is [size=28pt]VERY[/size] annoying. That's why I barely listen to Naija music (unless its Gospel, I love our gospel).
2Face is the best so far IMO. Apart from 2Face, Dbanj and psquare (jus started with them), nothing else is there.

You are so right about tubaba. The best of all. I love Nneka, Asa, Ayo and MAjek Fasek. Chei.
Desola:

. . .except the okoros of course. They are Biafrans, not Nigerians so maybe they are the ones with the esteem issues. grin

I do not want to go overboard to call you mumu.

Beaf:

I wish it was just names only. What about our musicians pretending to have Jamaican accents? The Jamaican population is a under 3million, but Nigeria is a country of 160million, representing 20% of the entire African population. How can a country of 160million mimic the people of a country of under 3million? Na swear? embarassed
Its a really disgraceful display of lack of self-esteem.

I feel so much pain discussing Nigeria sometimes. We need to buckle our boots and start matching forward.

The thing dey pain me no be small.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Gbawe: 4:55am On Sep 30, 2011
Relax101:

You are so right about tubaba. The best of all. I love Nneka, Asa, Ayo and MAjek Fasek. Chei.
I do not want to go overboard to call you mumu.

The thing dey pain me no be small.

i actually think tuface is highly overated. He regularly waltzes between styles, even on the same track amateurishly, to the extent one can tell he is not a purist, definitive or an innovator. I rate J Martin highly because he created a unique genre many, including P Square, are inspired by. P Square made their name with a fusion of familiar western hip-hop beats and a blend of Naija centric lyrics. Yet, even they had to come on the J Martin train when the style that worked so well for them became redundant with how it had been taken over by the totally new and unique creation from J Martin that even derives influence from Wally Badru (Eva). J Martin ,for me, conjured innovation in a sea of mediocrity following mediocrity.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:46am On Sep 30, 2011
igbo2011:

Africans are the most confused race on this planet! We will be anything other than ourselves and that is like spitting on the God that created you. We will speak any language other than our own, we will wear any hair style other than our own, we will worship any God other than our own, we will go to any temple other than our own, we will wear any clothes other than our own. We simply hate ourselves or were made to hate ourselves,any which way we do hate ourselves.

Why are we like this? We need to wake up wear our own clothes, do our own religions, we wear other people's hair. As Malcolm X said, "Who taught you to hate ourselves?"

Let's wake up from this nightmare.
the right question there supposed to be
Why Do Muslims Hate Peace?
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Yeske2(m): 8:13am On Sep 30, 2011
Desola:

I wasn't expecting better from you anyway
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Desola(f): 9:49am On Sep 30, 2011
Yes o, J Martin is the dealio, he totally gave the entetainment industry a new genre of music - totally original.

Also, that Flavour Nwanbaini boi is fire!

I need my meds o, I am rocking okoro today o.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by dempeople(m): 1:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
@Igbo2011,

Daalu. Thanks for your observations. Its not typical of me to write extensively but I'll add to some of the points you raised.

Every word you wrote is true. I always say that the black race would never develop without looking inwards.

Even in Nigeria, your observations are too glaring to see.

The solution to our problems are very few but powerful but our leaders past and present were and are busy fighting based on ethnic sentiments and selfish interests.

If our founding fathers had the vision to formulate a powerful homogeneous Nigerian ideological bonding culture with Africanism as the state religion while frowning upon/rejecting Islam and Christianity then ofcourse, Nigeria would've led the black race out of the woods.

If our founding fathers had visions, we would've had a native lingua franca spoken not just in Nigeria but other West African countries. Hausa is the most widely spoken language in West Africa. Hausa should have been made the lingua franca of all West African countries with the modernizing of the Nsibidi character system to be used in its writings. English itself is written using the latin alphabets.

The British empire would never had been successful at all with only the ethnic English people. The Welsh, Scots and Irish made it a success story and guess what, the Welsh, Scots and Irish all have their indigenous languages but English was the language of instruction and communication for the empire. Imaging the damage it would've been if a foreign language was propagated upon the British e.g French, German and Spanish. There probably would never had been a British empire at all.

It was the legacies of the British empire that propagated the image of the white man to very top hierarchy of all positive human indices to such an extent that if you think about Jesus Christ, God and the angels, the very first default color that comes to your mind is white! If you doubt me, close your eyes and imagine about God, Jesus and angels and tell me the color you first imagined. Also tell me the color of the so-called satan!

But a greater tragedy is that instead of us learning from them and formulating our own system, the opposite happened. We never had much friction between ethnic groups in Africa until the British came and left. We were simply too stu.pid to understand the British and their politics while the indians preserved their religions and languages.

We are still very very stu.pid to argue, maim, kill and destroy as a result of differences in languages, ethnicity, regions and religions.

I still very much stress that for Nigeria and black Africa to develop, it needs a cultural revolution. This is the least we MUST do. If we don't, anything we build on top will surely collapse cos of a weak foundation.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by jason123: 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2011
^^^
Baba, we no dey see your face for hia again! Wetin dey? cheesy
I totally agree with what you said! Especially
dem_people:

The solution to our problems are very few but powerful but our leaders past and present were and are busy fighting based on ethnic sentiments and selfish interests.

If our founding fathers had the vision to formulate a powerful homogeneous Nigerian ideological bonding culture with Africanism as the state religion while frowning upon/rejecting Islam and Christianity then ofcourse, Nigeria would've led the black race out of the woods.

If our founding fathers had visions, we would've had a native lingua franca spoken not just in Nigeria but other West African countries. Hausa is the most widely spoken language in West Africa. Hausa should have been made the lingua franca of all West African countries with the modernizing of the Nsibidi character system to be used in its writings. English itself is written using the latin alphabets.

The British empire would never had been successful at all with only the ethnic English people. The Welsh, Scots and Irish made it a success story and guess what, the Welsh, Scots and Irish all have their indigenous languages but English was the language of instruction and communication for the empire. Imaging the damage it would've been if a foreign language was propagated upon the British e.g French, German and Spanish. There probably would never had been a British empire at all.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Dede1(m): 3:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
I am of the view colonialism played a major part in certain aspect of inferior mentality often displayed by Africans. As for Nigerians, I should trace such problems to the configuration of the country which has inhibited the essence of uniqueness among nation states fused together to form Nigeria. It is unfortunate that any attempt to promote the unique identity of certain group of people in Nigeria is readily labeled tribalism.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by remarkD(m): 3:52pm On Sep 30, 2011
I was excited when i found i could listen to Nigerian radio stations online, only to tune in to cool fm and find these broadcasters with american accents; terribly terribly disappointed; until i discovered wazobia fm smiley dampens my spirit to also hear those jamaican accents (fake albeit) in naija songs, or sometimes the rap doesnt make me feel like i'm listening to Nigerian music, until i heard 9ice, Da grin (RIP), Mc Loph (RIP), and the golden voice of flavor nabania! (dude steals the spotlight from whoever features him lol). We outta true to ourselves, who we are, and be proud of it no matter what. nuff said.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by igbo2011(m): 6:11pm On Sep 30, 2011
@Dem_people
You nailed it, very good points.  The Chinese ha a cultural revolution and look at how far they made it.  We must do the same thing. We must all learn AFRICAN languages and characters to our schools. We must read from authors like Chimamanda Adichie and Chinua Achebe in school, not Shakespeare.  We must go back to our African roots and worship our Africans gods, like Chukwu (that is what I am doing now).  We should slowly let Chrisitanity and Islam die out.  if we all unite with one upper being then we will succeed.

The official language of Nigeria should be Hausa, Yoruba, or Igbo.  I don't care, as long as it is an African language I'll learn it.  We must teach our children an African language first, then other languages.  We need to read more books in our language and also adopt new words in this language so they can be used in the modern day.  We will all be united as one Nigeria.  We need a new educational system that will teach us to be self reliant and to love ourselves.  We should teach about the atrocities that happened in the past and make sure they don't happen again.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by dempeople(m): 1:35am On Oct 02, 2011
@Jason and Igbo2011,

Guys I hail una well well for una know wetin dee.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by emiye(m): 2:20am On Oct 02, 2011
Quite Pathetic, Tribalism stinks
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Jakumo(m): 5:47am On Oct 02, 2011
So, does the fact that I recently changed my name to Baron Lancelot Von-Bonemeister mean that I can no longer seek honorary Nigerian citizenship ?
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by Rgp92: 9:37am On Oct 02, 2011
Jakumo:

So, does the fact that I recently changed my name to Baron Lancelot Von-Bonemeister mean that I can no longer seek honorary Nigerian citizenship ?

Why did you changed your name to Baron Lancelot Von-Bonemeister ? what was your original name?
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by kasiem(m): 10:18am On Oct 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

candidly, ur nascent life on NL has made me to jettison my tribalistic instincts. Keep it up.
@topic, i've stopped going to church in my village cos of the way they foolishly erected a signpost that portrayed a blackman as satan and a whiteman was ontop of him. Again, the sycophants that parade themselves as men of God have made it a norm to vilify any african culture that they come around. The whitemen left africa with the planting of mustard seeds of colonialism i.e school, and church.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by htajz: 3:49pm On Oct 02, 2011
alj_harem:

It is called inferiority complex

etc

lets first ask the moderators why they allow it
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by ak47mann(m): 4:43pm On Oct 02, 2011
use tribalism to kill tribalism cool cool
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by kasiem(m): 4:57pm On Oct 02, 2011
ak47mann:

use tribalism to kill tribalism cool cool
+1
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by igbo2011(m): 6:04am On Oct 03, 2011
@kasiem
What about school is bad? Even though the Europeans left school, the Europeans learned school from Africans.
Re: Why Do We Hate Ourselves? by beezman(m): 9:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
alj_harem: It is called inferiority complex

etc
tank u 4 dat, i think the hatred is also a tool by some people against blacks so they won't advance beyond d petty squabbles.d black man can't think big because he is thinking of what 2 eat.any one who has been outside africa will tell u it is only in africa dat we worry about wat 2 eat.why? when we ave lot and lots of good farmlands.

(1) (Reply)

2 Yoruba Caught With Bomb In Suleja Niger State , Near Abuja / Nigeria Has Nothing To Fear From Ghana - Ghana Presdient / Why I Want Buhari To Rule Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.