Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,710 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo (3032 Views)

#bringbackourgirls Failing As Second Anniversary Approaches- PUNCH / Tambuwal Weds Mairo-Mustapha As Second Wife In Kano / James Ibori Marries Senami Sosu As Second Wife? - The Capital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by AkinEgba: 12:24am On Oct 18, 2010
The Punch

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The worth of four fingers is N1m

TOYOSI OGUNSEYE

Almost a year after Adebusoye Temitope lost four fingers of her right hand in an industrial accident, TOYOSI OGUNSEYE writes that her former employers have paid her NIm

Adebusoye Temitope

advertisement

What's the worth of four fingers of a person? While opinion may differ on this, in Adebusoye Temitope's case, they are not valued above the sum of N1m.

With a letter that reads, "I, Mr. Prakash Jaindani on behalf of Sun and Sand Industries Ltd., handed over to Miss Adebusoye a bank cheque no 000007158 valued at N1m. This is the final settlement made to the injured workman in the course of working with the company and that the payment was made and collected voluntarily. Adebusoye could no longer work for the company or lay claim to any other medical bill."

That was the end of the battle that the 21-year-old fought to regain the use of her fingers, even if they were artificial.

When she went to work on November 25, 2009, at Sun and Sand Industries Ltd., Ota, Ogun State, little did she know that she was not going to return home with her fingers intact. Adebusoye, the first child in a family of six, was trying to remove some aluminium products from a machine at work when her right hand got stuck in it. She removed the aluminium but had four of her fingers go with it.

It was not as if Adebusoye, a native of Ode-Erinje, Okitipupa Local Government, Ondo State, set out to be a casual worker. She had dreams of becoming a journalist until fate struck her some deadly blows.

It started with the death of her mother on January 8, 2008, while giving birth to a child. Another issue is that of the grinding poverty that has been the lot of the family. The burden of the family's responsibilities was becoming too much to bear for her factory worker father, so she decided to help out by getting a job.

Her joy knew no bounds when Sun and Sand Industries employed her as a casual worker with a salary of N13,000 per month 11 months ago. It was meagre, she knew; but it would help her family a bit, she concluded. With the dream of being a journalist sill steadfast in her mind, she faced her job, knowing that it was a temporary situation. But on November 25, she got more than she bargained for.

Only Adebusoye, who finished her secondary school education in 2007, can describe the pain. She says, "I thought I was going to die. Initially, I just saw blood coming out of the machine and my right hand was numb. Then after a few seconds, I felt this pain in my right hand; I was just screaming. Then I passed out."

She woke up at Medicare Hospital, Sango-Ota. She says, "When I woke up a few hours later and I saw that I had only one finger on my right hand, tears were just flowing out of my eyes. I could not cry out loud because, apart from the pain I was going through, my heart was very heavy; I was just sobbing."

When SUNDAY PUNCH first published the young lady's story on January 3, 2010 and also on February 14, 2010, her father complained that the management of the company did not ask after his daughter's health. He says, "The company has neither bothered to meet with us nor discuss how to compensate my daughter. Nobody from the company has made an effort to locate our family.

"They just dumped her in the hospital and we have not heard anything from them. This is very pathetic, because she lost her fingers on the company's premises when she was working for them. Is the company trying to say that the only thing they will be responsible for is her medical bill? What happens to my daughter's future? Now that she is in a permanent state of disability, the future is not very bright."

A member of staff of Sun and Sand, Mr. Joseph Soyombo, denied the allegations levelled against the company. When our correspondent could not communicate with the Managing Director, Mrs. Tiyer, an Indian, because of language barrier, Soyombo, who works in the human resources department, says, "What happened to the young lady was an industrial accident. When it happened, we took her to the hospital because we did not want to leave the matter to the contractor who hired her. We decided to take her to our company hospital because the contractor may not be able to take good care of her or he may take her to a sub-standard hospital.

"She has been in our hospital since the day the incident occurred. We are willing to support and compensate her, but we are yet to see her family. None of them has come to this company since the lady had the accident. We don't know them. We are a responsible organisation and it won't be proper for us to abandon her. We will do the normal thing by compensating her; but who do we talk to? We have not seen any member of her family."

After the January 3 publication, prominent lawyer and human rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, took interest in Adebusoye's case and took up the matter. In a letter to the MD of the company dated January 12, Falana, demanded N20m as compensation. The letter was also copied to the Minister of Labour and Productivity.

When SUNDAY PUNCH called Soyombo to find out why the company did not respond to the letter, he said he was not competent to talk about the matter. "Talk to our MD. I am not competent to talk about it," he said. The MD did not pick her calls. Then Soyombo said, "I will call you back later. I have your number."

Finally, the sum of N1m was given to the young lady as the overall compensation.

Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by AkinEgba: 12:25am On Oct 18, 2010
Shouldn't the authorities be taking this up? How can people be second class citizens in their own country?
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by Afanna1: 12:29am On Oct 18, 2010
Mekusxxx /Akin-egba lipsrsealed grin
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by Nobody: 12:33am On Oct 18, 2010
pathetic

pls remove those photos of the severed fingers
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 18, 2010
angry angry angry angry
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by johndoe200: 12:49am On Oct 18, 2010
She is lucky, they gave her the money probably because they did not insure the staff. If they had the normal insurance she may have received about 200,000 or 300,000 naira.
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by rebranded(m): 12:52am On Oct 18, 2010
MrPrsdent:

pathetic

pls remove those photos of the severed fingers

pls remove the pics, i wonder why nigerian journalists will put up such pics also by the way
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by Osama10(m): 12:58am On Oct 18, 2010
This is Pathetic.
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by EzeUche0(m): 1:04am On Oct 18, 2010
This is pathetic. And I do not know why Nigerian journalist enjoy showing pictures of victims. They need to censor some of this nonsense.
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by mensdept: 1:16am On Oct 18, 2010
Indians, They usually think they are superior to blacks,
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:46am On Oct 18, 2010
1m naira for 4 severed fingers! angry
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by becomrich13: 3:06am On Oct 18, 2010
if mr Prakash Jaindani does not pay, they should go and shut that plant down. This is inhuman, what can 1 million do.
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by johndoe200: 4:45am On Oct 18, 2010
becomrich: link=topic=533883.msg6961717#msg6961717 date=1287367596]
if mr Prakash Jaindani does not pay, they should go and shut that plant down. This is inhuman, what can 1 million do.

Pay for what? Industrial compensation? What does the law say or are we now in the jungle?
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by becomrich13: 5:09am On Oct 18, 2010
law says the employer most continue to take care of her for the rest of her life or when she get better. . she as to remain with the company. human are not wood.
Re: Indians treating Nigerians as second class citizens in Nigeria-disturbing photo by chyz(m): 5:30am On Oct 18, 2010
Please take this photo down now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Accept Gay Rigth, And We Will Help You Fight Boko Haram - USA / President Putin's Speech At The UN -- Says 'Do You Realise What You've Done? / See Pics Of Buhari & Osinbajo Cutting Independence Day Cake While Saraki Watches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.