Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,306 members, 7,815,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation (2527 Views)

Video Of Amaechi Defending The 2016 Budget Of The Ministry Of Transport / Meet Hadi Sirika Katsina Billionaire Tipped To Be Nigeria's Minister Of Aviation / FRSC Boss Osita Chidoka, New Minister Of Aviation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by sexychica: 12:19am On May 14, 2007
i thinks hes doing a splendid job at the ministry of aviation,better than any of his predecessors regardless of what anybody thinks abt him,the important thing is that d man is doing a good job to the benefit of nigerians,what do u think?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by closetpervert(m): 12:26am On May 14, 2007
i think right - he is d man.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by sexychica: 1:09am On May 14, 2007
especially with the recapitalization exercise going on now,it will further sensitize the aviation ministry,sumthin no other person tried to do,they would always wait for a plane to crash b4 they atart running helter skelter,FEMI FANI-KAYODE has done an excellent job and other ministers should take cue!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by Seun(m): 1:12am On May 14, 2007
The recapitalization exercise is rubbish - as usual - but I think Mr. Fani-Kayode is a competent administrator.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by sexychica: 1:27am On May 14, 2007
i agree on the fact that he is an excellent administrator but the recapitalisation came at a point when the aviation sector was in dire need of d much needed boost to weed out companies that were not competent enuff,FANI-KAYODE is a blessing to the ministry!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by Seun(m): 1:54am On May 14, 2007
Recapitalization is about certain companies wanting to eliminate some competition in order to fatten their margins.
It is also about certain government officials wanting to exercise their power and become popular like Charles Soludo.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by GNature(m): 2:04am On May 14, 2007
You don't need to recapitalize anything, all we need is to make sure all aircrafts go through the proper safety & maintenance procedures as done elsewhere in the world. The airlines bring these european rejected  planes into our air space and our aviation officials are bribed to over look them.

The next thing you know - Airplane crash !

What is wrong with having a 1 or 2 plane airline ? There are certain routes not used by the majors that can be used by such airlines. Recapitalization would have no bearing whatsoever on airline safety. The onus lies in the hands of the Aviation officials.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by debosky(m): 2:08am On May 14, 2007
Recapitalization is about us realising that you cannot run a 'danfo' business model in everything - there are basic international standards that have to be met. A lot of charlatans and get rich quick people were in the business and lives were being lost in. Aviation is a capital intensive business with narrow margins - if you are interested in quick cash and you cannot absorb shocks (by having a strong financial base) you will cut corners and put lives in danger. It will be sheer irresponsibility on the part of government so see the frequent crashes and other unsafe things and do nothing.

genuine changes and new ideas are needed, not the posturing and mere talk of Aborishade. Serious business men who are in it for the long haul and have 2billion tied down will not cut and run at the slightest change.

Recapitalization is a good wayo ensure that those involved in the business are serious minded - no one will have to tell you before you carry out maintenance to ensure a 2 billion investment. Aviation is serious business, not an all comers affair. If the government feels it can currently efficiently oversee just a couple of domestic airlines, then the recapitalization works well to weed out unserious people from the market
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by GNature(m): 2:18am On May 14, 2007
debosky,

It is the mismanagement and corruption with the aviation officials that is the bane of our horrible air safety record. To get an airline license, your firm should have been solvent to begin with, your aircraft should have been thoroughly inspected, you should have met all the guidelines set by the aviation authorities.

Periodic maintenance inspection should be carried out. Not taking or passing the inspection means the aircraft is grounded. You have policies in place and you implement them to the teeth, period.

No one is bribed, there is no favoritism, just implementing a well laid out aviation policy.

What does recapitalization have to do with this ?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by debosky(m): 2:43am On May 14, 2007
I am not doubting that the problems you point out exist, my own view is that along with firming uo the regulatory/supervisory aspect of the aviation industry, we also need to ensure that serious minded people who have all it takes to run the business properly are the ones that run it

I do believe the inspections/safety aspects are being improved as well, but we all know of the likes of Kabo Air whichonly surfaces whenit is time to ferry pilgrims to Hajj - they just rent a plane, paint it in their colours and use them, afterwards return them, even if they were in good condition when obtained, some of these businessmen have no inkling of safety/maintenance procedures, and as such the planes/facilities deteriorate. The point I am making is this: any serious operator with 2billion tied to a business will tend to be less carefree in his operations, knowing that any bad publicity/incidents could easily lead to his license being revoked and the losses associated with that.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by sartorius(m): 8:51am On May 14, 2007
yes, he is at least more competent than borishade, but he is garrulous
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by 9ja4eva: 9:49am On May 14, 2007
sexychica:

i thinks hes doing a splendid job at the ministry of aviation,better than any of his predecessors regardless of what anybody thinks about him,the important thing is that d man is doing a good job to the benefit of nigerians,what do u think?

I second

He has been fantastic and he is trying in his own little way to give the Aviation industry a face lift.He doesnt abuse anymore though. grin grin grin
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by DisGuy: 12:24pm On May 14, 2007
sexychica:

i thinks hes doing a splendid job at the ministry of aviation,better than any of his predecessors regardless of what anybody thinks about him,the important thing is that d man is doing a good job to the benefit of nigerians,what do u think?
I think you just met him  wink

He is doing his job the way it's meant to be done. Now he needs to weed out those that are incompetent in his own ministry those that have been employed by connection so professionals can come in.

I don't like the way he wa threatening some airliners last year or early this year with mouth. How can airlines avoid tax and use other airports they are not suppose to use without a mighty fine thats tinubu/frank nwenker jnr tactics; empty threats makes you look unserious!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by sexychica: 10:50pm On May 16, 2007
well said,but the sensitization currently going on in d ministry cannot be overemphasized,it is something that has never been done so it must be applauded,it has directly or indirectly saved a lot of lives due to his thorough approach in running the ministry,how many other ministers can boast of making any such positive impact in nigeria now? FOOD 4 THOT!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by sexychica: 10:58pm On May 16, 2007
i hope d next dispensation would be smart enough this hardworking man that has indirectly touched the lives of nigerians by ensuring safer travelling measures and a better run ministry!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by zexyworm: 7:13am On May 17, 2007
The current aviation minister is an incompetent character who thinks that bad-mouthing in the media impresses upon Nigerians. Sadly, his cheap tactics seem to be working, going by the reaction of most people on this forum.

Here are the facts:

1) The airline recapitalization process started well BEFORE Fani Kayode was appointed Aviation Minister.

2) It is well known in Nigeria and beyond that Fani Kayode is a psychophant of the first order. He was a relentless
promoter of the Third Term Agenda.

3) Fani Kayode has an early 20th century approach to the workplace. He loves to shout, insult, and threaten. A few months ago he caused the Federal Govt. embarassment when he summoned, insulted, and threatened a German Lufthansa executive to his office in Abuja. The accusation was that Lufthansa was selling domestic tickets for Lagos-Abuja flights, despite the fact that Kayode has no evidence to support such claims.

4) Kayode's unprofessionalism went further, he criticised European carriers in the media about spraying their cabins with insecticides prior to takeoff, saying they treated Nigerians "like animals". Again, any professional in the aviation industry would know that insecticide spraying is an ICAO requirement for flights to/from and within infectious disease areas including Asia and South America.

5) When we thought his ignorance had bounds, he went further to attack foreign airlines for increasing their flight frequencies to Nigeria, despite the fact that most countries have signed open-skies agreements for the benefit of consummers and travellers.

6) Rather than shut up and fix the rotting airports and runways, he took pleasure in attacking British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, and others, for treating Nigerians "like dirt" - when clearly those same carriers HIRED Nigerian cabin crew and provided job opportunities for hundreds of Nigerians.

7) Rather than be a neutral character attending to infrastructural projects, he attends PRIVATE functions such as airline aircraft delivery ceremonies where his expenses are paid by the private sector, in return of kickbacks and favors, such as accelerated renewal of permits, under-table tax exemptions, etc. Clearly, he is clueless about ethics.

In short, Fani Kayode has got nothing to do with aviation, airports, or airlines. He has no training no prior experience in these domains. He was appointed Aviation Minister as part of a reshuffle following the ADC crash. I'm simply confused as to why people on this forum are asking for more incompetence.

What Nigeria needs is a seasoned AVIATOR or aviation professional to head the affairs of this ministry. A good example would be Harold Demuren (NCAA Head) who is both a professional and an achiever - Just my opinion.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by fellow(m): 9:04am On May 17, 2007
@zexyworm

i thought i was the only one that had that opinion of fani-kayode!! Now it makes 2.

Good post
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by Bolarge(m): 12:08pm On May 17, 2007
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by DisGuy: 2:48pm On May 17, 2007
thats a good one @ Zexyworm. didnt know much about him apart from his noise making antics.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by mazaje(m): 8:24pm On May 17, 2007
Despite all his short comings i believe the guy has tried and should be given some credit for his good works
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by laudate: 11:28am On May 18, 2007
zexyworm:

4) Kayode's unprofessionalism went further, he criticised European carriers in the media about spraying their cabins with insecticides prior to takeoff, saying they treated Nigerians "like animals". Again, any professional in the aviation industry would know that insecticide spraying is an ICAO requirement for flights to/from and within infectious disease areas including Asia and South America.

Insecticide spraying may be an ICAO requirement, but where does it say that such insecticides should be sprayed while passengers are still on board?? If you have ever taken a transatlantic flight outside Nigeria, you will realise that such spraying or fumigation is carried out several hours before boarding. By the time passengers board those flights, no one can even detect the odour! So why should the international airlines do it differently, in Nigeria?

zexyworm:

5) When we thought his ignorance had bounds, he went further to attack foreign airlines for increasing their flight frequencies to Nigeria, despite the fact that most countries have signed open-skies agreements for the benefit of consummers and travellers.

The open skies agreement is also based on reciprocity. A lot of western countries do not have an equivalent number of Nigerian airlines flying into their own airports from Nigeria, yet, they want to have only their own airlines conducting more flights from their own capitals, into Nigeria. Why? It is a highly lucrative business for them. If for example, the UK would allow our own local airlines to fly into Stanstead, Heathrow & Gatwick six times a week, then we would have no problems allowing their own airlines like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic etc., to conduct the same number of flights into Nigerian airports. Shikena! This was part of the things that the late Fred Agbeyegbe criticised, before he was shot.

zexyworm:

6) Rather than shut up and fix the rotting airports and runways, he took pleasure in attacking British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, and others, for treating Nigerians "like dirt" - when clearly those same carriers HIRED Nigerian cabin crew and provided job opportunities for hundreds of Nigerians.

Take a British Airways flight from Lagos to London, and take another flight on the same airline from London to New York, then come back and tell us the difference! From the common courtesies extended to you by British Airways staff at the counters to the treatment on board, you will notice that Nigerians are poorly treated on the Lagos-London-Lagos route, compared to passengers on the London-New York return route, despite the fact that the London-New York fare is much cheaper than the Lagos-London route.

I stopped flying British Airways & switched to SwissAir, after being on the receiving end of consistently shoddy in-flight & boarding services. Even when it came to booking on line, the British Airways crew refused to allow Nigerians in London to pay for their flights on line, between 1999-2002, until our people threatened to boycott their services in England.

I agree that Femi Fani-Kayode talks a lot, is probably rude etc. And I also believe that the state of our airports is important and must be fixed as a matter of priority. But quite frankly after Nigerians have spent their hard-earned money to book a flight, if any one decides to help them fight for better services in the airline industry, I feel that person should be commended, wether he is garrulous or not! tongue
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by lewa(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2007
Laudate well said!Could not agree me!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by laudate: 4:17pm On May 18, 2007
lewa:

Laudate well said!Could not agree me!

Ehn?? Am I seeing double??!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by sexychica: 5:11am On May 19, 2007
why cant we as a country applaud ones good work and effort in d midst of other ministries shortcomings at least he took a cue and tried 2 make good of d rot he was encountered with,what can be said of others that have been there 4 donkey years without any positive impact,he took d bull by d horns despite his shotcomings 2 set a standard,i think he shpould be applauded rather than castigated,id rather have a rude outspoken leader than one than a dummy than didnt leave a mark!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by wadomi: 6:31am On May 19, 2007
stupid people - all they do is criticise - will u do anything better if they put u there?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by Backslider(m): 1:24pm On May 19, 2007
Minister Aborts Chanchagi Plane

By Samuel Olatunji, Reporter, Lagos
19th May

The Minister of state for Air Transportation, Chief Femi Fani Kayode, on Friday evening aborted a Chanchangi flight scheduled for Abuja due to the excessive heat passengers on board were subjected to after the aircraft’s air-conditioning system broke down .

According to witness account, the heat was so unbearable that two passengers fainted as a result of suffocation. The fainted passengers on board the plane were part of journalists that were going to Abuja for the Nigerian Music Awards that will be holding today at the International Conference Centre.

Majority of the passengers our correspondent gathered were going to Abuja to cover the event and it included personalities like Chief Mrs Keji Okunowo, Laolu Akins, and other musicians.

The commotion raised by the plight of the fainted journalists we gathered was brought to the notice of the minister who instantly ordered that the plane should not take off.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by mazaje(m): 1:52pm On May 19, 2007
Femi Fani Kayode has tried and should be commended for his good works
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by BUSHFELLOW(m): 6:45pm On May 19, 2007
VERY VERY FUNNY. YOU GUYS FAIL TO REALIZE THAT THIS GUY IS THE BIGGEST BAD MOUTHER IN NIGERIA BE REAL NOTHING DEY HAPPEN FOR THE INDUSTRY

AND MORE OVER WHY WOULD THEY WAIT FOR SULTAN AND SENATORS TO DIE BEFORE ALL THIS NOISE
ARE THEY BETTER THAN THE CHILDREN THAT DIED ALONG BIMBO ODUKOYA; OH I UNDERSTAND ORDINARY NIGERIANS LIVES DONT COUNT

THIS TREAD SHOULD BE THROWN OUT PLEASE,

AJEGUNLE FOR LIFE
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by Seun(m): 9:33am On May 20, 2007
In other words, the perception that he's doing well is mostly a result of his ability to manipulate the media?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by BUSHFELLOW(m): 9:42am On May 20, 2007
yeah correct. at least their are still cutting corners. a minister who is political in every sense is to me not efective he should think of leaving a legacy behind like dora, iweala, soludo, to me that is the only three people that really worked after that the rest are bench warmers

Peace

AJEGUNLE FOR LIFE
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by zexyworm: 12:40pm On May 20, 2007
BUSHFELLOW:

yeah correct. at least their are still cutting corners. a minister who is political in every sense is to me not efective he should think of leaving a legacy behind like dora, iweala, soludo, to me that is the only three people that really worked after that the rest are bench warmers

Peace

And a Dora Fani is certainly NOT. His is a rude idiot who twists the media in his favor.

[size=18pt]FOR GOD'S SAKE HE ACCUSED SOMEONE OF SMUGGLING EXPLOSIVES ON A BELLVIEW PLANE, when it was found later that the exact same "explosives" were nothing more that fire crackers to be used in an event in Abuja. I'm not saying fire crackers are legal cargo, I'm saying Fani "coyote" should not have alerted the media about a NON-event, further planting horror in air passengers' heart following the 3 major crashes![/size][size=8pt][/size]

Fani "Coyote" is clueless about aviation. He is, however, very proficient in such activities as chest-beating, corruption, and bad-mouthing.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Doing A Good Job At The Ministry Of Aviation by Reverend(m): 12:44pm On May 20, 2007
Anybody that does not have the brains to realise that you do not take such things on a airplane deserves to be hung undecided undecided

What a 100% idot lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yar'adua Forced Me Into Exile - Ribadu / Civil War Has Broken Out In Nigeria Fighting Has Started / Controversial Obama Picture Raises Uproar! (with Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.