Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,310 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? (2403 Views)

Acura ZDX, Honda Crosstour And The BMW X5 / 2019 BMW X5 Unveiled (Photos And Details) / Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by deleson: 8:52pm On Aug 04, 2019
This evening, a young friend was speaking to me about her plans to get a car.

She mentioned names like Honda Accord, Sportage and all, but particularly, expressed deep interest in BMW x5.

Gurus, do you think it is a good ride for a first-time owner in Lagos?

She'd be using it as a daily ride - so, one would expect, efficiency and affordable maintenance.

Please share your thoughts.
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 04, 2019
BMW X5 for a knock about?! That would be costly ooo.
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2019
BMW X5 for a knock about. That would be costly ooo.
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by laivwire(m): 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2019
deleson:

She'd be using it as a daily ride - so, one would expect, efficiency and affordable maintenance.

This quote got me rotfl. The X5 is the exact opposite.
Even experienced BMW users fear the x5. It’ll be comical if she gets the 4.0l displacement engine as well as a ‘daily driver’.

They won’t ask her before she places ‘For sale’ sign on top.
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by 4crownfortress(m): 1:37am On Aug 05, 2019
deleson:
This evening, a young friend was speaking to me about her plans to get a car.

She mentioned names like Honda Accord, Sportage and all, but particularly, expressed deep interest in BMW x5.

Gurus, do you think it is a good ride for a first-time owner in Lagos?

Please share your thoughts.

https://www.nairaland.com/5311657/tokunbo-toyota-corolla-2009
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by diehard1: 5:18am On Aug 05, 2019
If these are what is in mind with regards to X5, I suggest you buy something else. The X5 is a performance SUV with a lot of toys. It's meant to be treated with tender loving care. Maintain religiously and it will treat you fine, treat like a Toyota and it'll wreck you. lipsrsealed
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:16am On Aug 05, 2019
If she really wants a BMW SUV she should get the X3 or X1. If she still insists on going for the X5 then she should get only the six cylinder version. BMW V8 engines should be avoided drastically. They are horribly made

1 Like

Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by jabolo(m): 11:51am On Aug 05, 2019
tensazangetsu20:
If she really wants a BMW SUV she should get the X3 or X1. If she still insists on going for the X5 then she should get only the six cylinder version. BMW V8 engines should be avoided drastically. They are horribly made

Not true, that generalization. They are fantastically made but require the recommended maintenance done at the appointed intervals. Simple things like oil changes.

Me. I've run a BMW V8 for more almost twenty years.

1 Like

Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:56am On Aug 05, 2019
jabolo:

Not true, that generalization. They are fantastically made but require the recommended maintenance done at the appointed intervals. Simple things like oil changes.

Me. I've run a BMW V8 for more almost twenty years.

The recent n62 and n63 engines are horribly made. It's not about maintenance but this engine start having horrible issues at around the 100k mileage mark. Maintain them all you want but the problems are inevitable. BMW V8s v10s and V12 engines should be avoided at all costs.

1 Like

Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by jabolo(m): 12:18pm On Aug 05, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

The recent n62 and n63 engines are horribly made. It's not about maintenance but this engine start having horrible issues at around the 100k mileage mark. Maintain them all you want but the problems are inevitable. BMW V8s v10s and V12 engines should be avoided at all costs.

I have researched further and, yes, these particular engine variants have multiple reported problems and to be avoided especially in Nigeria where the necessary DIY resources might not be to hand. At the right purchase price, I could perhaps buy them and run them abroad.

I stand by my response to your generalization though, on the basis of my own experience with the S62 engine for almost two decades.

Good day.

1 Like

Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2019
jabolo:

I have researched further and, yes, these particular engine variants have multiple reported problems and to be avoided especially in Nigeria where the necessary DIY resources might not be to hand. At the right purchase price, I could perhaps buy them and run them abroad.

I stand by my response to your generalization though, on the basis of my own experience with the S62 engine for almost two decades.

Good day.

The M powered version of the M62 engine that was used in the e38. Yeah those were reliable. Its all shit now. If I want a V8. It's gonna be strictly Mercedes as they make the best and most reliable V8s. BMW and Audi make shit V8s.

3 Likes

Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by pocohantas(f): 8:22pm On Aug 05, 2019
diehard1:
If these are what is in mind with regards to X5, I suggest you buy something else. The X5 is a performance SUV with a lot of toys. It's meant to be treated with tender loving care. Maintain religiously and it will treat you fine, treat like a Toyota and it'll wreck you. lipsrsealed

Toyota (Corolla) is that partner that takes all your bullshit. When he/she leaves, you sef go know say e tryyyy...

1 Like

Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by erico2k2(m): 9:43am On Aug 11, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

Someone else might say something different, so no need generalizing it.
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:45am On Aug 11, 2019
erico2k2:

Someone else might say something different, so no need generalizing it.
It's general. I have worked on a lot of this engines to know. You can even read up posts on online forums. They are really really shit engines. I wonder what BMW was thinking when they made them.
Re: BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? by erico2k2(m): 10:29am On Aug 11, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

It's general. I have worked on a lot of this engines to know. You can even read up posts on online forums. They are really really shit engines. I wonder what BMW was thinking when they made them.
Are we not talking of Engines that goes up to 100k miles here?

(1) (Reply)

Pic Fake Timing Belt@ 6months 10,000km / Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? / Where To Get Glass Tinted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.