Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain (15831 Views)

Sowore: 'DSS Accredited Only 10 Media Houses For Kanu's Trial & It's A Shame' / Sowore: DSS Claims They Wanted To Release Him But No One Came To Receive Him / Sowore: DSS Lied, I Personally Served Them Court Order – Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Ecstasy154(m): 5:53am On Aug 15, 2019
Gbenga Omokhunu, Abuja

Protesters yesterday in Wednesday, at the nation’s capital, demanded the release of former presidential candidate of African Action Congress (AAC) in the last general elections and Convener of #RevolutionNow protest, Omowole Sowore.

But truckloads of security operatives at the Unity Fountain, venue of the protest, prevented them from entering the area.

The Unity Fountain was a semblance of a war zone with heavy presence of soldiers, policemen, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and officers of Nigerian Prison Service.

Sowore, who is also the publisher of Sahara Reporters, was arrested by DSS operatives last week after he vowed to mobilise Nigerians to the streets for the #RevolutionNow protest.

The Federal Government has also used the DSS to secure a Federal High Court ex parte order to detain him for 45 days.

Despite the barrage of security operatives at the Unity Fountain, activists demanded the immediate release of Sowore and other “prisoners of conscience”.

The protesters, led by Deji Adeyanju, the Convener of Concerned Nigerians (CN), said President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration had continued to imprison Nigerians who dared to criticise his “maladministration” and had no deference for divergent opinion.

Adeyanju, who said proponents of #FreeSowore protest would not be cowed by government’s battalion of security operatives, added that the President pretended that he was a repentant democrat to get the confidence and votes of Nigerians.

He said Sowore, Dadi Yata, Jones Abiri, Steven Kefas and other social and media critics held by the present administration as prisoners of conscience, represent uncountable numbers of other Nigerians he called victims of Buhari’s government.

According to him, even if the President withdraws all the security operatives deployed to fight insurgency in the Northeast and other parts of the country to stop the #FreeSowore activists, the protest will not stop.

Another activist Rapheal Adebayo said even if President Buhari arrests more protesters, one million others would fight his policies.

Adebayo added that the protest was not just for the freedom of Sowore and other “prisoners of conscience” but for the soul of Nigeria.

Also, Middle Belt Forum’s Deputy President Ndi Kato said the protest would be sustained until the government learns to respect the will of the people.

She said: “It is high time we let go the shackles of our military dictatorship. We cannot have 20 years of military dictatorship and still allow the shackles to remain with us. The modus operandi of criminal and government’s abduction has remained the same. When someone is taken, we do not know where the person is taken to.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/sowore-dss-police-others-stop-protesters-at-unity-fountain/amp/

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by helinues: 5:57am On Aug 15, 2019
Say I no get anything to do, I go count how many rice and beans left in the house..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by tayebest(m): 6:05am On Aug 15, 2019
45days seems too long for sowore and his people grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by fiizznation: 6:08am On Aug 15, 2019
Sowore will be detained for a period of 45days and after that, the federal government should charge him to court for treasonous act and incitement. You didn't remember your useless revolution until when you contested in the same election that buhari won, that's when you remembered one 'useless revolution protest'.

I urge the FG to arrest any silly ass that engage himself/herself in any revolution protest again. If you want a revolution, use the ballot box.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Gandollaar(f): 6:16am On Aug 15, 2019
fiizznation:
Sowore will be detained for a period of 45days and after that, the federal government should charge him to court for treasonous act and incitement. You didn't remember your useless revolution until when you contested in the same election that buhari won, that's when you remembered one 'useless revolution protest'.

I urge the FG to arrest any silly ass that engage himself/herself in any revolution protest again. If you want a revolution, use the ballot box.
Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable -- buhari 2013.

50 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by tayebest(m): 6:16am On Aug 15, 2019
fiizznation:

They won't even charge him yet but collect another court order to detain him for another 90day before they charge him to court grin

I'm totally in support of revolution in this country but from sowore, it's a no no for me cheesy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by realestniggah: 6:18am On Aug 15, 2019
Lmao .. Joke of a country

Thought y'all said you wanted revolution.. Have y'all seen the protest in Hong Kong.. Now that a revolution.

Una never ready.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by BruncleZuma: 6:19am On Aug 15, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by LordofNaija: 6:20am On Aug 15, 2019
Buharis administration does not tolerance dissent. I strongly believe this revolution protest was sponsored by govt as a way of discouraging other would be protesters that protesting against the government will never be successful. This Buhari is too clever, with the failure of this protest no one will ever have the thought of protesting against the government cos even you self go dey think say the protest go fail. I still remember such counter moves the govt initiated during the ipob protests, we startedhearing groups such as TRIPOb etc, now where them dey. At this rate Buhari might even attempt a third term and no one will say a word, after all he has the judiciary, the legislature and with this recent happening the Civil Society groups are in check too. I leave Buhari with this proverb " ote aka odiwaru njo, emesi a na oga adi nma"

3 Likes

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Cue4rm: 6:20am On Aug 15, 2019
Dis guy suppose rotten 4 dss oh.
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by anonimi: 6:21am On Aug 15, 2019
tayebest:
45days seems too long for sowore and his people grin grin

Was that not how Sowore was laughing when he was shouting that barawo bubu was the messiah to save us from Jonathan and PDP in 2015?
This life na turn by turn Oga. Softly softly before your turn to reach to gnash your teeth and wail like a baby whose feeding bottle has been taken away.
One by one all those who packaged barawo bubu are being dealt with by the fraudulent conman himself.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4222476_screenshot20160911081825_pnga079f323856f9c10f5d1f4a856757173

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4264005_hadiza_jpegfae1d2eb192a7fb01a462348e07c3adc

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by anonimi: 6:22am On Aug 15, 2019
realestniggah:

Thought y'all said you wanted revolution.. Have y'all seen the protest in Hong Kong.. Now that a revolution.

Una never ready.

Una no include you wey dey brag realest niggah upandan.
Your realest na for mouth only

2 Likes

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by englishmart(m): 6:22am On Aug 15, 2019
Wahala government with zero tolerance for protests. They know we can do nothing.
They see us as cowardly lots and they are very correct
At the sight of teargas and old, useless A-K 47, every youth will gbaga cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Mikefixed2010: 6:23am On Aug 15, 2019
[color=#990000][/color]See Below
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Onlinealaba(m): 6:23am On Aug 15, 2019
Bush meat don catch hunter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by MRsettingz: 6:24am On Aug 15, 2019
sowore is in soup

1 Like

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by WalkerMichael(m): 6:24am On Aug 15, 2019
fiizznation:

Straight to the point. I love the last line though. If you want a revolution, use the ballot box
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Nobody: 6:26am On Aug 15, 2019
Same country ameachi threatened

To run a parallel government?

2 Likes

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Godwin2am(m): 6:27am On Aug 15, 2019
helinues:
Say I no get anything to do, I go count how many rice and beans left in the house..
GERROUT JOOR

1 Like

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by fiizznation: 6:27am On Aug 15, 2019
tayebest:

They won't even charge him yet but collect another court order to detain him for another 90day before they charge him to court grin

I'm totally in support of revolution in this country but from sowore, it's a no no for me cheesy
Any kind of revolution in Nigeria will never lead to any positive achievement. We are too porous, too divided along religion and ethnic lines. So tell me how can any revolution work in Nigeria? What we need to do is to elect good leaders that will bring the necessary change we all want. Leaders that will be bold to change the military written constitution that we still operate, leaders that will put Nigerians first before themselves.

5 Likes

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by nabegibeg: 6:29am On Aug 15, 2019
helinues:

when you see stones cook am join and eat
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by nabegibeg: 6:29am On Aug 15, 2019
Ecstasy154:
Gbenga Omokhunu, Abuja

Protesters yesterday in Wednesday, at the nation’s capital, demanded the release of former presidential candidate of African Action Congress (AAC) in the last general elections and Convener of #RevolutionNow protest, Omowole Sowore.

But truckloads of security operatives at the Unity Fountain, venue of the protest, prevented them from entering the area.

The Unity Fountain was a semblance of a war zone with heavy presence of soldiers, policemen, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and officers of Nigerian Prison Service.

Sowore, who is also the publisher of Sahara Reporters, was arrested by DSS operatives last week after he vowed to mobilise Nigerians to the streets for the #RevolutionNow protest.

The Federal Government has also used the DSS to secure a Federal High Court ex parte order to detain him for 45 days.

Despite the barrage of security operatives at the Unity Fountain, activists demanded the immediate release of Sowore and other “prisoners of conscience”.

The protesters, led by Deji Adeyanju, the Convener of Concerned Nigerians (CN), said President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration had continued to imprison Nigerians who dared to criticise his “maladministration” and had no deference for divergent opinion.

Adeyanju, who said proponents of #FreeSowore protest would not be cowed by government’s battalion of security operatives, added that the President pretended that he was a repentant democrat to get the confidence and votes of Nigerians.

He said Sowore, Dadi Yata, Jones Abiri, Steven Kefas and other social and media critics held by the present administration as prisoners of conscience, represent uncountable numbers of other Nigerians he called victims of Buhari’s government.

According to him, even if the President withdraws all the security operatives deployed to fight insurgency in the Northeast and other parts of the country to stop the #FreeSowore activists, the protest will not stop.

Another activist Rapheal Adebayo said even if President Buhari arrests more protesters, one million others would fight his policies.

Adebayo added that the protest was not just for the freedom of Sowore and other “prisoners of conscience” but for the soul of Nigeria.

Also, Middle Belt Forum’s Deputy President Ndi Kato said the protest would be sustained until the government learns to respect the will of the people.

She said: “It is high time we let go the shackles of our military dictatorship. We cannot have 20 years of military dictatorship and still allow the shackles to remain with us. The modus operandi of criminal and government’s abduction has remained the same. When someone is taken, we do not know where the person is taken to.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/sowore-dss-police-others-stop-protesters-at-unity-fountain/amp/
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by hisexcellency34: 6:30am On Aug 15, 2019
Hope he wont tay in prison like Zakzakky

1 Like

Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Godwin2am(m): 6:30am On Aug 15, 2019
realestniggah:

Una never ready.
BEST EVER. SILENT PROTEST REVOLUTION. THE GOVERNMENT MUST REASON WITH THEM
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Ezedon(m): 6:32am On Aug 15, 2019
Are we still in democracy?
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by fiizznation: 6:34am On Aug 15, 2019
Gandollaar:
Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable -- buhari 2013.
Why don't you go and make the violent change because of its inevitability? And see if you don't spend the rest of your life in jail!!!
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by LordofNaija: 6:35am On Aug 15, 2019
MRsettingz:
sowore is in soup
Bros Sowore cut a deal with government, I won't reveal secret yellow pages more than what I ve said
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by MRsettingz: 6:38am On Aug 15, 2019
LordofNaija:

Bros Sowore cut a deal with government, I won't reveal secret yellow pages more than what I ve said
Let hear about the deal pls
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Gandollaar(f): 6:40am On Aug 15, 2019
fiizznation:
Why don't you go and make the violent change because of its inevitability? And see if you don't spend the rest of your life in jail!!!
Buhari and you all fulanis are strangers here. At the appointmented time, the God that delivered us from Abacha, will deliver us again from this evil called buhari.
Re: Sowore: DSS, Police, Others Stop Protesters At Unity Fountain by Gandollaar(f): 6:43am On Aug 15, 2019
tayebest:

If you support a revolution but don't want sowore to lead it, why not avail yourself to lead it? Or are you not bold enough?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Shuaibu Adama Haruna's Impeachment Was Caused By Official Car, Allowances / Senator Urhoghide: Civil Servants Steal Nigeria’s Wealth Not Politicians / 2023: PDP Governors Meet In Port-Harcourt Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.