Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

IBB Murders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB Murders (3239 Views)

Zahra Buhari Murders English Language, Again / Boko Haram Murders Nta Reporter / IBB, OBJ Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 4:23pm On Oct 26, 2010
IBB Murders: Major Ibrahim Babangida and Major Mammam Vatsa At Okigwe In 1969

Major Ibrahim Babangida, the self-aclaimed "evil genius" and Nigeria's most corrupt dictator is seen here standing with his bossom friend (both of them Army Majors) in Okigwe in 1969. 17 years later IBB framed Vatsa in a phantom coup. He set up a military tribunal to try the "coupists" but the tribunal which had the input of  Babangida's minister of defence, Major General Domkat Bali found no evidence of Vatsa's involvement. But blood thirsty IBB won't have any of that, he had to kill Vatsa.

When Vatsa was facing the firing squad, he was asked what his last words were, he didn't say much, after checking what time it was, he removed his wristwatch and asked his would be killers to pass it on to his wife.

IBB went on to become one the biggest socio-political menace to confront the Nigerian state. In 1993, he annulled Nigeria's freest election that he 'd organized, claiming that he had access to security reports that would have led Nigeria on the part of war. Almost 17 years after, Babangida wants to come back to power. You can imagine what he will do to Nigerians if he could have done this to Vatsa!

http://www.saharareporters.com/photo/ibb-murders-major-ibrahim-babangida-and-major-mammam-vatsa-okigwe-1969
Re: IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 4:25pm On Oct 26, 2010
IBB was Vatsa's best man during his wedding. What kind of man can do this to his friend?
Re: IBB Murders by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 26, 2010
I see him doing the same to Dokpesi if he ever makes it back to Aso Rock
Re: IBB Murders by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 26, 2010
If you want to plan coup, make sure you suceed. If you fail the penalty is death. No friend No foe
Re: IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2010
bermuda1:

If you want to plan coup, make sure you suceed. If you fail the penalty is death. No friend No foe

You actually have a logic here. If Vatsa valued his friendship with IBB, why did he plan to overthrow his government?
Re: IBB Murders by AndreUweh(m): 5:39pm On Oct 26, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

You actually have a logic here. If Vatsa valued his friendship with IBB, why did he plan to overthrow his government?
Did Diya plan to overthrow Abacha?.
Did Obasanjo and Yar'dua plan to overthrow Abacha?.
Re: IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 5:40pm On Oct 26, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Yes he did and was as guilty as hell.
Re: IBB Murders by Mortiple(m): 5:55pm On Oct 26, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

IBB Murders: Major Ibrahim Babangida and Major Mammam Vatsa At Okigwe In 1969 [b]DURING THE NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR[/b]

http://www.saharareporters.com/photo/ibb-murders-major-ibrahim-babangida-and-major-mammam-vatsa-okigwe-1969

Look at them, probably celebrating their capture of one of Biafra's strongholds.

41 years down the line, IBB wants us (Ndigbo) to believe that he will hand over to one of us after one term of four years in office. Ha ha! We all know his antecedents.

Nna men!! let us 'chop' his money and vote for any candidate of our choice.
Re: IBB Murders by jumobi1(m): 6:01pm On Oct 26, 2010
I think Vatsa did plan a coup or know about one. He probably felt IBB wasn't a good leader and preferred Nigeria more than IBB so he didn't tell IBB about a coup or plan to suppress the coup. Knowing how crazy military people are, it shouldn't be too shocking IBB let Vatsa die. However that was his childhood friend. I doubt IBB would have been killed if the coup succeeded so leaving Vatsa to the firing squad was very harsh. However we really don't know the full details of the coup. Maybe IBB was to be killed,
Before Vatsa died, he said everything he did was in the interest of Nigeria. This statement doesn't vindicate him. it shows he at least knew about a coup.
Re: IBB Murders by Abagworo(m): 6:18pm On Oct 26, 2010
Iliteracy is a big disease.Treason is punishable by death and IBB allowed the law take its due course.If he averted justice and left his cousin(Vatsa) people will still complain.Vatsa was caught in coup attempt and died along with his co-plotters after being convicted by a military tribunal.
Re: IBB Murders by chosen04(f): 6:23pm On Oct 26, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

[
17 years later IBB framed Vatsa in a phantom coup.

Phantom coup? As phantom as the coup planned by DIPO DIYA?

Once certain people are involved it becomes phantom coup! . . . . . . .I tire for sentimental journalism
Re: IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 6:46pm On Oct 26, 2010
jumobi1:

I think Vatsa did plan a coup or know about one. He probably felt IBB wasn't a good leader and preferred Nigeria more than IBB so he didn't tell IBB about a coup or plan to suppress the coup. Knowing how crazy military people are, it shouldn't be too shocking IBB let Vatsa die. However that was his childhood friend. I doubt IBB would have been killed if the coup succeeded so leaving Vatsa to the firing squad was very harsh. However we really don't know the full details of the coup. Maybe IBB was to be killed,
Before Vatsa died, he said everything he did was in the interest of Nigeria. This statement doesn't vindicate him. it shows he at least knew about a coup.

They planned a coup and if IBB was such a good friend, why plan to overthrow him?. Who knows, he may have planned to kill him too. Same goes for Diya and Orkar. There is no friendship in the army especially when money is involved. Real brotherhood supersedes money and desire for power.
Re: IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 12:41am On Oct 27, 2010
chosen04:

Phantom coup? As phantom as the coup planned by DIPO DIYA?

Once certain people are involved it becomes phantom coup! . . . . . . .I tire for sentimental journalism

Trust Nigerians naw. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: IBB Murders by jumobi1(m): 1:08am On Oct 27, 2010
I think death for attempted coup is pretty harsh.
Re: IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 1:16am On Oct 27, 2010
jumobi1:

If that is the case, there should be no death law for attempted armed robbery.
Re: IBB Murders by egift(m): 3:59am On Oct 27, 2010
So all those who have been preaching to us to hate IBB more than Satan himself because of Vasta - Na like this the story keep leg?

In this case, except if there is additional evidence, its safe to at least appreciate what he did here - because na man-know-man dey useless Nigeria like this. grin

1 Like

Re: IBB Murders by bkbabe97y(m): 4:02am On Oct 27, 2010
jumobi1:

So, wait until the coup materializes so that the punishment can fit?
Re: IBB Murders by jumobi1(m): 4:07am On Oct 27, 2010
Is there death for attempted murder?
Re: IBB Murders by bkbabe97y(m): 4:50am On Oct 27, 2010
jumobi1:

Is there death for attempted murder?

Theres death for treason. . . . . !
Re: IBB Murders by jumobi1(m): 5:10am On Oct 27, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Theres death for treason. . . . . !
Not all the time you know. Where in Bk r from?
Re: IBB Murders by 1025: 8:50am On Oct 27, 2010

@andrew,
did u watch oputa panel? mustapha showed up a video of diya kneeling down while pleading with abacha.
it is obvious that these guys are power thirsty and as such u cannot swear for them.
if vasta valued his friendship with babangida, he will not make the attempt.
vasta was informed enough to know the implication of what he did. do u expect Ibb to praise vasta for attempting to overthrew him? do u think vasta will not kill IBB if faced with the same situation? if u are vasta, will u make effort to over throw ur best friend? we must always stay out of sentiments for a good judgement.
if u say ibb is a killer, that i agree but i dear u to name any of our politician who is not.
orji uzor kalu openly called pdp a blood thirsty party far back 2003. fani kayode told a court that the several airmisharps here in nigeria under borrishade was as a result of occultic involvements.
two communities were wiped out in 1999 under obasanjo. bola ige was killed without a trace of the killers till date and that was an attorney general of a country? funso williams and many others were all killed between 1999 and 2007. u will agree with me that IBB was not responsible.
nigeria is a jungle and if we must face democracy, let all the old fools quit including obasanjo. the idea of a single man imposing candidates on nigerians is totally unacceptable.
if jonathan wants to be anything, let him stand out as a man and nigerians will consider him as a better evil but as long as he is tied to this obasanjo criminal gangs that have messed this country up, the end result of this drama will not be as funny as the begining.
look at the whole country, riots here and there even in his own state bayelsa and soon, if time is not taken, we will need to go to church with soldiers. war is not far from what we have here.
Re: IBB Murders by JomoGbomo2(m): 9:13am On Oct 27, 2010
@1025
you spoke my mind, period!
Re: IBB Murders by egift(m): 9:21am On Oct 27, 2010
^^^
True my dear. I read severally here when people were shouting IBB drank Vasta - I did not even know the Vasta - "stabbed his friend at the back".

Now they will want us to praise the guy because IBB did not interfere with Justice.
Re: IBB Murders by bkbabe97y(m): 11:40am On Oct 27, 2010
jumobi1:

Not all the time you know. Where in Bk r from?

I'm willing to insist that in a Military Regime you get found guilty of a treasonable offense your neck is getting chopped.

East New York. You?
Re: IBB Murders by MaiSuya(m): 12:47pm On Oct 27, 2010
1025:

@andrew,
did u watch oputa panel? mustapha showed up a video of Diya kneeling down while pleading with abacha.

Bull. I happen to have watched the video and in addition saw the ones where OBJ and Shehu Musa YARD were allegedly confessing to the coup. It was later discovered that Diya was prostrating for a totally different issue--it just happened to have been caught on video.  Haven't you wondered why you couldn't hear a single thing Diya was saying?

The same thing in the OBJ and Yar'adua video. You couldn't hear a single thing.

That particular coup was clear case of set-up 'right from the top', as alleged by Diya on the first day of his arraignment, a statement which incidentally lead to him being dealt with severely while in prison (i.e when he was eventually convicted). Tell magazine covered his account extensively during an interview he gave upon his release.

However, regarding that of IBB and Vatsa, I'm not sure it was a set up. . .
Re: IBB Murders by 1025: 1:14pm On Oct 27, 2010
Bull. I happen to have watched the video and in addition saw the ones where OBJ and Shehu Musa YARD were allegedly confessing to the coup. It was later discovered that Diya was prostrating for a totally different issue--it just happened to have been caught on video. Haven't you wondered why you couldn't hear a single thing Diya was saying?

The same thing in the OBJ and Yar'adua video. You couldn't hear a single thing.

That particular coup was clear case of set-up 'right from the top', as alleged by Diya on the first day of his arraignment, a statement which incidentally lead to him being dealt with severely while in prison (i.e when he was eventually convicted). Tell magazine covered his account extensively during an interview he gave upon his release.

However, regarding that of IBB and Vatsa, I'm not sure it was a set up. . .

@Mai Suya,
in every coup, someone must start it. someone started the coup plans and being power thirsty, diya bought into it and for coup plotters who fail, death is their reward. diya and obasanjo were lucky because abacha was more humane than them. 99% of nigerians will tell u that if obasanjo had died then, it would have done us more good than harm. there is no word like innocent coup plotter. ppl must learn to accept responsibilities whenever they fail.
diya was behaving like a cheap soldier and it is only u that knows those other issues for which diya was postrating for abacha and u alone knows why diya did not mention that before the oputa panel. mustapha had the keys to all their lies and he made nonesense of diya in the oputa panel. those who plan coup know the implication and for every military man including obasanjo and yar adua, they all know the process of confirming a coup. with how power thirsty and drunk obasanjo is, no nigerian except u can swear that obasanjo did not plan a coup.
at a very old age, he did 8 uninterupted yrs and was looking for third term. still at that, he made himself the only person worthy of becoming the chairman BOT of pdp and u are saying if such gullible slowpoke sees a way to overthrow any gov, he won't do that with ease. by their fruits, we shall know them.
Re: IBB Murders by jumobi1(m): 1:30pm On Oct 27, 2010
bk.babe97y:

I'm willing to insist that in a Military Regime you get found guilty of a treasonable offense your neck is getting chopped.

East New York. You?

Long Island. But I'm Ibo so you won't like me anyways smiley
Re: IBB Murders by supereagle(m): 3:04pm On Oct 27, 2010
IBB just want to get treed of him and he succeeded. Naija shine your eyes before you elect him.
Re: IBB Murders by tpia5: 3:09pm On Oct 27, 2010
the body language in the photo is quite interesting.
Re: IBB Murders by AloyEmeka5: 3:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
tpia@:

the body language in the photo is quite interesting.

Are you suggesting they were gay?
Re: IBB Murders by tpia5: 3:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
^^clean your mind.
Re: IBB Murders by tpia5: 3:30pm On Oct 27, 2010
jumobi1:

Long Island. But I'm Ibo so you won't like me anyways smiley

why do you think so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

: Five Dead In Nigeria Sectarian Clashes: Army / Ranking:-most Beautiful Southeast Capital City / We Won’t Sell Fighter Helicopters To Nigeria, US Insists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.