Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th (10625 Views)

2015 Africa Corruption Ranking / Nigeria's Worst Corruption Ranking / Nigeria Sinks Deeper In Corruption Ranking-transparency International (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by roymary: 1:20am On Oct 27, 2010
I'm a die-hard Nigerian but just found out Nigeria falls on the 134th position outta 178 countries. This worries me.
Denmark is the least corrupt country. Our government need to do something and very quickly,

Ghana is on the[b] 62nd[/b] Position, Aint that something to worry about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by djayxpro: 3:34am On Oct 27, 2010
@poster
if u worry over being 134th what do u expect d 178th to do? Besides, we re too many in d country. Assuming denmark's population is 6million and they may have 60% of them not corrupt that's 3.6million. Meanwhile, 60% of us is 90million. It's gonna be hard to make top. Besides our world image is on the low side. Let's take heart and try to be good.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Nobody: 3:38am On Oct 27, 2010
Wow, we did goood shocked shocked shocked

I was actually expecting Nigeria to be around 170-175
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Nobody: 4:04am On Oct 27, 2010
[size=18pt]Nigeria, world’s 44th most corrupt country – TI[/size]

LAGOS—AMID declining socio-economic indices, Nigeria is recording a mileage in unexpected quarters. It is the 44th most corrupt country in the globe, according to the 2010 Corruption Perception Index, CPI mid-wived by the Transparency International, TI.

The report showed that governments across the world still have a handful combatting graft, which is hampering efforts to tackle the world’s most pressing problems such as instability of financial markets to climate change and poverty.

The 2010 CPI shows that nearly three quarters of the 178 countries in the index scored below five, on a scale of 10 (highly clean) and 0 (highly corrupt).

Denmark, New Zealand and Singapore are tied at the top of the list with a score of 9.3, followed closely by Finland and Sweden at 9.2. Bringing up the rear is Somalia with a score of 1.1, slightly trailing Myanmar and Afghanistan at 1.4 and Iraq at 1.5.

With a score of 2.4, Nigeria was 134 on the list of 178 countries, that is 44th. She is 28 in Africa and shares the 44th spot with Sierra Leone, Togo, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Phillippines, Honduras, Azerbaijan and Ukraine.

To address these challenges, governments need to integrate anti_corruption measures in all spheres, from their responses to the financial crisis and climate change to commitments by the international community to eradicate poverty.

Transparency International advocates stricter implementation of the UN Convention against Corruption, the only global initiative that provides a framework for putting an end to corruption.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/nigeria-world%E2%80%99s-44th-most-corrupt-country-%E2%80%93-ti/

So which one is correct? undecided
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by GAR3TH(m): 4:15am On Oct 27, 2010
@ Ileke-IdI 1 is the least corrupt while 178 is the most corrupt. . .so both articles are right.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by roymary: 4:33am On Oct 27, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

With a score of 2.4, Nigeria was 134 on the list of 178 countries, that is 44th. She is 28 in Africa and shares the 44th spot with Sierra Leone, Togo, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Phillippines, Honduras, Azerbaijan and Ukraine

So which one is correct? undecided

Same!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Nobody: 5:38am On Oct 27, 2010
*slaps forehead*

I coulda had a V8.

Got you guys, sorry
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by calyx: 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2010
. . .plus we got more corrupt in the last one year moving from 130th position last year to 134th position this year.

Good luck someone?. . .
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Demoladoc: 1:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
all thanks to OBASANJO's EFCC AND ICPC our corruption index is much better.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 27, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

very modest. I  expected  us to be 174-175  undecided
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Parnassuss(m): 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2010
calyx:

. . .plus we got more corrupt in the last one year moving from 130th position last year to 134th position this year.

Good luck someone?. . .
MUTE lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Demoladoc:

all thanks to OBASANJO's EFCC AND ICPC our corruption index is much better.

Na you talk am. Some1 will castrate me if I open my own 32 yarn am.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by supereagle(m): 2:39pm On Oct 27, 2010
Your weeping will not change anything.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by apoti(m): 2:39pm On Oct 27, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Tha's really a good score for Nigeria, I mean I can't belive there are 43 countries more corrupt than Naija.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Ikengawo: 3:10pm On Oct 27, 2010
all of these lists white people like to compile, only a fool can take them seriously.

you don't know the magnitudes of corruption in the US government but it puts the combine total of corruption in africa to shame.

ALL POLITICS IS CORRUPT. especially democratic politics. there's no escaping corruption once you know the system.

i would like nigeria to continue become a country where the corruption isn't blunt and obvious though. I dont see much wrong with stealing money as long as you're getting the job done and done well, and that's what they do in the US and South Korea.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by kpozaa(m): 3:14pm On Oct 27, 2010
What about this---

My Fellow country men, even with the credit crunch and extremely bad standard of living of an average Nigerian, A Big organisation like Zenith bank Plc still steals from us even from our savings Account which is suppose to have no hidden charges. They branded it UP COUNTRY CHARGE shocked. You wont get any phone or email Alert for this charge and its not explained properly in your statement. This they do when someone pays into your account from another region of Nigeria e.g North to West or East to North.

Some Nigerian are aware of this and kept quiet lipsrsealed, the rich get refund and waiver while some have written Zenith bank and got their waiver. The rest are charged a minimum 200 Naira per transaction. This is Daylight Robbery. We must not keep quiet anymore. Check your statements, Contact your bank and request a refund and waiver if you were charged. Tell your friends, authorities and companies who bank with Zenith bank. Pass the info through Facebook, Twitter, Blackberry,email etc. I have seen this work when I was abroad. Information is key. We the Customers have the power in this modern age.

Their latest act is now C.O.T on saving Account when you do online transfer in Branch from one Zenith savings Account to another. C.O.T on SAVINGS ACCOUNT? shocked This is wickedness. Naija ARISE AGAINST ZENITH BANK CORPORATE ROBBERY NOW!!! I have other banks to use now. Inform others please,
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by kabukabu50(m): 3:37pm On Oct 27, 2010
Who did not know this, NEXT TOPIC. grin grin grin grin

Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Whiteguru: 3:38pm On Oct 27, 2010
Abeg make dem leave me alone, what is the ranking of that so called transparency int'l on God's corruption index. u cant be a judge in a case you're also gulity of. Remember he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
kabukabu50:

Who did not know this, NEXT TOPIC. grin grin grin grin

Are they actually saying North America is not that corrupt? shocked shocked shocked

What happened to identity theft, social security theft, etc?
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by oludashmi(f): 3:44pm On Oct 27, 2010
What position did you guys expect, if Cecilia Ibru could be given 6 months imprisonment (for stealing over N190bn) and imprisonment counts from the day she was arrested . . .meaning she had since served her prison at home and in the hospital.

Whereas in this same country a hairdresser was given 15yrs without bail for defrauding a friend and a final yr student of a university was given 4 yrs imprisonment for stealing laptop (maybe the guy was just playing with his friend wink), of course the guyz career is finished and doomed by the time he is back. . .and so on.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Exponental(m): 3:56pm On Oct 27, 2010
WE try na
but y na africa be d sets of most corrupt country,
hope say african dey among d auditors sha
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by violent(m): 4:03pm On Oct 27, 2010
Ikengawo:

all of these lists white people like to compile, only a fool can take them seriously.

you don't know the magnitudes of corruption in the US government but it puts the combine total of corruption in africa to shame.

ALL POLITICS IS CORRUPT. especially democratic politics. there's no escaping corruption once you know the system.

i would like nigeria to continue become a country where the corruption isn't blunt and obvious though. I dont see much wrong with stealing money as long as you're getting the job done and done well, and that's what they do in the US and South Korea.

what is this?. . .are you saying Nigeria is not so corrupt to be the 134th most corrupt country in the world?. . its amazing how my countrymen are so quick to argue using factors that are most convenient to them. . .now the excuse is neither religious nor tribal, but racist?

Isn't Ghana a part of Africa?

and funny how you don't see much wrong with stealing money. . .with more people reasoning like you, i honestly think the index is unfairly biased towards somalia as Nigeria should really be occupying that position

@poster
if u worry over being 134th what do u expect d 178th to do? Besides, we re too many in  d country. Assuming denmark's population is 6million and they may have 60% of them not corrupt that's 3.6million. Meanwhile, 60% of us is 90million. It's gonna be hard to make top. Besides our world image is on the low side. Let's take heart and try to be good

Another excuse is we are quite much. .  China's population is currently 1.3 billion. . .and they ranked 56 countries ahead of us!
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Elebiju: 4:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
thats why i love being a nigerian see my people corruption is inborn for every nigerian so to curb corruption will be very hard but who knows i might be the one to bring the change
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Abayomin70(m): 5:44pm On Oct 27, 2010
there is somtin wrong wit dat list where is usa in dat list am very sure dat those north america countries are corrupt dan africa countries but thank GOD we tryin on d list 43 countries still in our front thanks to obasanjo that lay down EFCC&ICPC
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by hackney(m): 7:55pm On Oct 27, 2010
Nigeria is definitely top 5 whether we like it or not.
Even correlating statistical info from naija will be riddled with corruption.

Only bangladesh topped naija in corruption once and for just a fleeting moment and
then naija took it back the next year.
Ever since naija has been the most corrupt.

What countries are truly more corrupt than the naija govt? ?
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by zealot4me(f): 8:01pm On Oct 27, 2010
hackney:

Nigeria is definitely top 5 whether we like it or not.
Even correlating statistical info from naija will be riddled with corruption.

Only bangladesh topped naija in corruption once and for just a fleeting moment and
then naija took it back the next year.
Ever since naija has been the most corrupt.

What countries are truly more corrupt than the naija govt? ?

Hackney ur finking faculty is working accurately
if possible sef naija be first on d list
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by malabite: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2010
Nigeria is not the 178th country in the ranking. More so ranking is just a number, so no cause for alarm!
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 27, 2010
I wonder how corruption is ranked.The probability that Nigeria took 44th position in the worlds most corrupt country is monumentally zero and is totally incomprehensible. To be candid,if the ranking is re-checked,we must take a position ranging from 4th to 10th.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by mamagee3(f): 12:38am On Oct 28, 2010
I was expecting Nigeria to be in the 174-175 rank.

The rank is really shocking.
Re: 2010 World Corruption Ranking-nigeria Is 134th by akwaowoudo(m): 12:44am On Oct 28, 2010
Error! Certainly higher than the rating.

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Are Determined To End Criminality, Violence In Nigeria - Babagana Monguno / Rt. Hon. Muktar Betara Aliyu Set To Officially Declare House Speakership Bid / Nigerian Newspaper Reader Bases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.