Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,407 members, 7,861,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:37 AM

100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers (12888 Views)

Some Receipts Of The $845,000 School Fees Bello Paid For American School / Erosion Sacks Amawbia Community 300 Homes Cut Off 4,000 School Children Out Of S / I Fed 252,000 School Pupils With N10 Billion -Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by ctleurocollege: 4:09pm On Sep 07, 2019
He's scoring very low in security, I still can't believe they allowed people to steal hard working Nigerians' shops in the name of reprisal attacks

For those interested in studying in Cyprus, contact me
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by traihit: 4:39pm On Sep 07, 2019
naijacentric:
but sir how come fg was not interested in fafunwa's research is it because of the British. Because i know if it happens dey would lose greatly.

Well, after the results and everybody saw the proof (of the mother-tongue as a language of instruction), it was included in the policy to teach primary and secondary school srudents using their mother tongue but no one is using it and the FG is not serious about implementing it. Secondly, they stopped production of textbooks in the local language as it was used during the experiment. They initially made textbooks like Biology, Mathematics etc in Yoruba for that experiment.

Nigeria already know what to develop when we are ready. But for now, we are not really ready.

2 Likes

Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by Powerbankseller(m): 4:50pm On Sep 07, 2019
OK. Next topic
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by naijajobx: 4:56pm On Sep 07, 2019
hmmm
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by iamclime(m): 5:02pm On Sep 07, 2019
[quote author=Mynd44 post=82003688]

UN studies have actually shown that students are more likely to pick up if the teacher speaks their home language. If a teacher with a large population of Tiv students teaches Physics in Tiv, more students are likely to understand and pass.

English is just one language not a universal language. What language do you think they teach Maths in in China?

Exactly what we have been advocating for years, based on personal experience and research. I hope policy makers in Nigeria will wake up one day. People now equate being able to speak English to being smart, intelligent, or educated. But the reality, even here on Nairaland, says otherwise!
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by mailbrilliance(m): 6:47pm On Sep 07, 2019
XaintJoel20:
He should start by absorbing Npower Teach beneficiaries in Lagos state.
Abeg oh Advise them to absorb N-Power Teach beneficiaries

1 Like

Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by ebony2011(m): 8:19pm On Sep 07, 2019
ghost workers get ready
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by Naija247blog: 9:35pm On Sep 07, 2019
wow, that's a good way to reduce crime indirectly
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by eniorisha(m): 11:33pm On Sep 07, 2019
SIRTee15:

No need for a national indigenous language...
Medium of instruction in southwest can be Yoruba...
Ditto for other regions with their respective native language....
There's is no national language in india either....
Each region uses its own regional language as medium of instruction in schools....
Yet those guys rule the tech and pharceutical industry even in USA and uk...
What i don't understand why even so called educated elites think this is impossible......
Something that was practiced in the past and proved very successful....
My dad and his generation were taught with Yoruba in the 60s...
Teachers wrote ISIRO on the blackboard when its time for maths lesson....
Yet he graduated with 1st class in mathematics from university of ibadan....

Are u an educator & linguist by training? That's how you guys will use mouth develop Nigeria on social media & if given opportunity, no concrete achievement.

That time u quoted they indicated "Isiro" on d board, it's only in primary schools level. It's still obtainable now. The approved curriculum stipulates local language shld be d lang of instruction at d primary level. IF U WERE TRAINED UP TO D UNIVERSITY LEVEL IN YORUBA, HOW WILL U BE ABLE TO PRACTICE YOUR DISCIPLINE IN OTHER REGIONS WITHIN D COUNTRY OR OUTSIDE NIGERIA?

HOW MANY OF D TERMINOLOGIES & JARGONS IN YOUR DISCIPLINE CAN U INTERPRET IN YOUR OWN MOTHER TONGUE?

THIS CAN'T BE ACHIEVED IN OUR VERY LINGUISTICALLY-DIVERSE COUNTRY.
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by SIRTee15: 12:36am On Sep 08, 2019
eniorisha:

Are u an educator & linguist by training? That's how you guys will use mouth develop Nigeria on social media & if given opportunity, no concrete achievement.

That time u quoted they indicated "Isiro" on d board, it's only in primary schools level. It's still obtainable now. The approved curriculum stipulates local language shld be d lang of instruction at d primary level. IF U WERE TRAINED UP TO D UNIVERSITY LEVEL IN YORUBA, HOW WILL U BE ABLE TO PRACTICE YOUR DISCIPLINE IN OTHER REGIONS WITHIN D COUNTRY OR OUTSIDE NIGERIA?

HOW MANY OF D TERMINOLOGIES & JARGONS IN YOUR DISCIPLINE CAN U INTERPRET IN YOUR OWN MOTHER TONGUE?

Nobody made reference to tertiary education on this thread....
The babs fafunwa policy we talking about was restricted to primary n secondary schools...
Ok....
If u are linguistic expert as u claim, then I'm afraid u know nothing about what's going on in your field....
Already basic sciences subjects like chemistry has Yoruba translated textbooks for middle schools....

https://news.tulane.edu/news/yoruba-science-textbook-will-be-put-test

Below is an article written by some scholars validating the use of Yoruba language as a medium to teach biology....

Even at the tertiary level, if we are serious n determined....
We can take up the challenge, it's no big deal....
I've seen some indian lecturers teach engineering courses in Hindu on YouTube....
Your Chinese that builds your bridges n roads can't speak a word in English....
And none of the core science subjects originated from the far east....
They adopted them into their education system, just like we did...

Science n Technology is a universal language, u don't need proficiency in English to be an expert in any technical field....
Your mechanic repairs your car thinking in his native language.....
Why then must we force him to be proficient in English b4 he can be admitted into a technical college....
The electrician that wired your house, solved all problems he encountered in his native language.....
Yet we insist he has credit in English, if he must study electrical/electronic course in a college....
Why can't we advance his knowledge in a language that best suits him...
To me, forcing these guyz to learn in a language they struggle with is insanity....
I don't know about u....

1 Like

Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by SIRTee15: 12:51am On Sep 08, 2019
eniorisha:

IF U WERE TRAINED UP TO D UNIVERSITY LEVEL IN YORUBA, HOW WILL U BE ABLE TO PRACTICE YOUR DISCIPLINE IN OTHER REGIONS WITHIN D COUNTRY OR OUTSIDE NIGERIA?

Like seriously, did u write that...
Are u really an educator....
U telling me I can't function in my discipline if I travel to a region that speaks another language....
In today's globalised world....
How come Chinese dominates virtually all construction n manufacturing in Africa with only Mandarin as spoken language....
How come Arab countries are filled with western expatriates....
I've met nigerian doctors who studied in Cuba, Ukraine n Russia- trained not in English, working in nigeria n some in uk....

I repeat, science n technology is a universal language. U can learn it in any mother tongue....
And once u have the knowledge n skill, u can work anywhere....
All u need is ability to communicate with your clients in whatever language they speak, which u can learn....
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by ImperialYoruba: 12:53am On Sep 08, 2019
Davash222:
Good one.

But he should not employ Ogbomoso teachers. These ones teaches Mathematics with Yoruba language.

Thats what we want, to teach Maths in indigeneous language.
Re: 100 Days In Office: Sanwo-Olu To Employ 15,000 School Teachers by BRATISLAVA: 1:50pm On Sep 13, 2019
GrammarNazi1:

...these ones teach...

And that guy is always running to comment on the first page of any thread. Sickening.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi's Rank On Reduced Domestic Debts, Highest FDI Linked To Bello's Policies / INEC Is Investigating Allegations Of Buried PVCs In Imo - Festus Okoye / Over 1000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Sokoto (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.