Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,398 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice (4796 Views)

11 Reasons Why Nyesom Wike Should Not Be Sworn In - Joe Igbokwe / Buhari Should Not Be Sworn In With The Quran – Etcetera Writes / Governor-Elect To Be Sworn-in By His Mother-in-Law On May 29th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by AkinEgba: 2:13am On Oct 29, 2010
Jonathan 'll quit 2015 - Uwechue

Responding to the attacks in a 26-minute phone chat with Vanguard, Uwechue said Ohanaeze's adoption of Jonathan was in the best interest of Igbo and the country. He said that legally, Jonathan would quit in 2015 to make way for another zone, expectedly the South-East.

On permutation that the South-East might end up producing the president in 2027, the Ohanaeze leader said it could not be so. Reason: 'We have consulted lawyers on this matter.

Nobody can be sworn-in more than twice. Jonathan cannot go for eight years. He was elected along with Yar'Adua and has been sworn-in based on that election following Yar'Adua's death. So Jonathan cannot go for eight years. Ndigbo are sure that Jonathan's transition point is 2015. Currently, he is the only person we are sure of, any other person can do eight years.

'Our point is that after Jonathan, South-East will be the only zone left out. Ndigbo should anchor their 2015 presidential ambition on something that is certain. You can't promise what you don't have.

Our position is based on equity and fairness to all and it is in the best interest of Ndigbo. People are trying to attack me personally instead of puncturing our argument. But I am not disturbed because we are getting congratulatory messages from Igbo leaders, Bishops and stakeholders over our decision.'

On allegations that he was nursing hopes of elongating his two-year tenure that ought to end next month, Uwechue said the consensus among Igbo leaders and groups was for excos of the Igbo umbrella body to have three-year renewable tenure, to be effective.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/disquiet-in-ohanaeze-over-jonathan’s-endorsement/
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 2:35am On Oct 29, 2010
that means 2015 the citizens of naija will not vote  . are we now going to start appointing presidents.

dont get me wrong, i would support a credible igbo president for 2015 any time any day
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by Onlytruth(m): 2:43am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

that means 2015 the citizens of naija will not vote  . are we now going to start appointing presidents.

dont get me wrong, i would support a credible igbo president for 2015 any time any day

You see this is part of why I say you need to be schooled more on the workings of Nigerian politics.

Anyway @ topic, this is one of the reasons why I think that Uwechue is a consummate leader who is rounded in his thought process. Jonathan (by law) cannot be sworn in THRICE. So, he really cannot contest in 2015. That is a fact (unless someone changes the law to allow THIRD TERM).
So I support Uwechue. All these other guys attacking him are desperately pursuing their political ambitions.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by AkinEgba: 2:47am On Oct 29, 2010
Onlytruth:

You see this is part of why I say you need to be schooled more on the workings of Nigerian politics.

Anyway @ topic, this is one of the reasons why I think that Uwechue is a consummate leader who is rounded in his thought process. Jonathan (by law) cannot be sworn in THRICE. So, he really cannot contest in 2015. That is a fact (unless someone changes the law to allow THIRD TERM).
So I support Uwechue. All these other guys attacking him are desperately pursuing their political ambitions.

See Igbos with their smartness. They go for 2015 from both ends, from the north and from the south. But I doubt of Jonathan will hand over to an Igbo. The north will kill somebody then.lol grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 2:48am On Oct 29, 2010
why don't you school me ??  smiley
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 2:50am On Oct 29, 2010
Akin-Egba:

See Igbos with their smartness. They go for 2015 from both ends, from the north and from the south. But I doubt of Jonathan will hand over to an Igbo. The north will kill somebody then.lol grin grin grin grin grin

and whats funny why are you even using a yoruba name as your username so we can say a yoruba man supports this be honest with yourself
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by AkinEgba: 2:55am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

and whats funny why are you even using a yoruba name as your username so we can say a yoruba man supports this be honest with yourself
So I, one yoruba, now speak for all others? I had always thought you were foolish. Now it is confirmed.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by Onlytruth(m): 2:58am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

why don't you school me ??  smiley

You want me to educate you on Nigerian politics? Anyway I can give a few lessons. Just be prepared to accept it AS IS.

Lesson No 1: The best NEVER GETS TO BE NIGERIA'S PRESIDENT. -Got that?

Lesson No 2: Pleading for justice and equity NEVER works in Nigeria, only treachery, jipiti, threats and real violence works. Got that?

Lesson No 3: The only thing uniting Nigeria (fake unity undecided) is the fear of allowing the Igboman to exercise his God given rights to thrive in Nigeria, or to secede from the country. Got that too?

[b]Lesson No 4: [/b]All of the above! Now, GOT THAT?

If you need more lessons, let me know.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 3:00am On Oct 29, 2010
Akin-Egba:

So I, one yoruba, now speak for all others? I had always thought you were foolish. Now it is confirmed.

sharrap dia!!!

everybody on nairaland knows you are not yoruba.

moreover, who is saying you speak for the yorubas??  the point is you don't even try to offer a balanced view of the situation,all you just do is to post a topic and pray for tribal bashing to occur. you are sad indeed!!!  cry cry cry
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by AkinEgba: 3:03am On Oct 29, 2010
Onlytruth:

So what guarantee is there that Jonathan will hand over to an Igbo man/woman in 2015. It looks unlikely, in my opinion.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 3:04am On Oct 29, 2010
Onlytruth:

You want me to educate you on Nigerian politics? Anyway I can give a few lessons. Just be prepared to accept it AS IS.

Lesson No 2: Pleading for justice and equity NEVER works in Nigeria, only treachery, jipiti, threats and real violence works. Got that?

Lesson No 3: The only thing uniting Nigeria (fake unity undecided) is the fear of allowing the Igboman to exercise his God given rights to thrive in Nigeria, or to secede from the country. Got that too?

[b]Lesson No 4: [/b]All of the above! Now, GOT THAT?

If you need more lessons, let me know.

yes i need more lessons smiley.

i want to ask, why can't we change this vices in our generation? are we going to allow it to continue forever?? pls educate me
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 3:10am On Oct 29, 2010
Akin-Egba:

So what guarantee is there that Jonathan will hand over to an Igbo man/woman in 2015. It looks unlikely, in my opinion.

in 2015, Gj has no choice. its either he hand over to the igbos or the hausa. this is a very critical choice and it will actually determine the immediate future of the country!
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by AkinEgba: 3:15am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

in 2015, Gj has no choice. its either he hand over to the igbos or the hausa. this is a very critical choice and it will actually determine the immediate future of the country!

See why i said you are a fool. Is that the answer to my question.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by chyz1: 3:16am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

Do you think the war is inevitable come 2015?
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by Onlytruth(m): 3:20am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

yes i need more lessons smiley.

i want to ask, why can't we change this vices in our generation? are we going to allow it to continue forever?? pls educate me

Answer:

Onlytruth:

Now I want to ask you a question. Take an honest look at Nigeria starting from 1960. Take a look at all sectors: politics, military, academics/education, sports, leadership and anything that has to do with excellence. Tell me which tribe has produced the highest number of men/women of excellence?
If you are honest, you would see that the tribe is IGBO.

Now ask yourself, why has that tribe not produced a Nigerian leader for 40 years? If your answer is the civil war, then you are not ready to accept the truth. Soludo for instance did more for Nigeria than Sanusi can ever dream of. Yet, he is out and all his achievements being rubbish by a half quack.

Soludo is by far more qualified to be Nigeria's president today. He is young, exceptionally intelligent and very ambitious and energetic. But notice that Nigeria's south west controlled media never even mention him as a presidential material. You Nigerians want anyone to become president provided he is not Igbo. As I type this, two Igbo ladies are leading the world bank. One is responsible for extricating Nigeria from foreign debt. Either of them would make a far better president than all the pretenders we have contesting today. But why are they not even talked about? Are they not Nigerians?

So, I tell you again. The only point of agreement in Nigeria is that Igboman/woman would not be president. But the irony is that the BEST is Igbo. So be prepared to live with half-baked leaders for a long time. Just don't complain.  cool
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 3:24am On Oct 29, 2010
chyz1:

Do you thing the war is inevitable come 2015?

bro, i dont pray for war!!! but when its 2015, if gj does not "handover" to the igbos, biafra will rise again. if he does not "handover" to the north then they would feel marginalised, cheated and they might want to kill him.  

but 2015 something has to give!
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 3:42am On Oct 29, 2010
Onlytruth:

Answer:

Now I want to ask you a question. Take an honest look at Nigeria starting from 1960. Take a look at all sectors: politics, military, academics/education, sports, leadership and anything that has to do with excellence. Tell me which tribe has produced the highest number of men/women of excellence?

Now ask yourself, why has that tribe not produced a Nigerian leader for 40 years? If your answer is the civil war, then you are not ready to accept the truth. Soludo for instance did more for Nigeria than Sanusi can ever dream of. Yet, he is out and all his achievements being rubbish by a half quack.

Soludo is by far more qualified to be Nigeria's president today. He is young, exceptionally intelligent and very ambitious and energetic. But notice that Nigeria's south west controlled media never even mention him as a presidential material. You Nigerians want anyone to become president provided he is not Igbo. As I type this, two Igbo ladies are leading the world bank. One is responsible for extricating Nigeria from foreign debt. Either of them would make a far better president than all the pretenders we have contesting today. But why are they not even talked about? Are they not Nigerians?

So, I tell you again. The only point of agreement in Nigeria is that Igboman/woman would not be president. But the irony is that the BEST is Igbo. So be prepared to live with half-baked leaders for a long time. Just don't complain.  cool
@ bolded

it btw the igbos and the yorubas.

yes i agree the igbos have been marginalised! i'm 100% with you on that. also igbos have quite a store of talents.

but we have to be honest here, the igbos are partly the cause of their marginalisation because they did not produce a presidencial candidate this yr and when they eventually do, they may produce up to 60!!!.

about the media thing, forgive me if i'm ignorant but i think each state produces their news paper and their is a tv station in each state. so, i think it has nothing to do with the SW.

and yes, the igbo candidates you mentioned are more than qualified to replace OBJ talkless of IBB and co. i agree the igbos have talent and they have been cheated but about the marginalisation thing, i don't agree.

after GJ, if the igbos can produce a credible candidate then we have to support him!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by chyz1: 3:45am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

bro, i dont pray for war!!! but when its 2015, if gj does not "handover" to the igbos, biafra will rise again. if he does not "handover" to the north then they would feel marginalised, cheated and they might want to kill him.  

but 2015 something has to give!

The north should not think about 2015,it is again sharia grin. The only fear I have is that GJ,since he is president will work in favor of installing a northerner. The best I think he should do is be non-partisan make sure all is free and fair. Obasanjo was not given presidency based on zone and he damn sure was not given presidency based on an 8 year zonal agreement. Remember Obasanjo was to leave after his first term but he out-smarted his opposition and became president again. It was after the start of his second term that this whole "We allowed you to do 8 years based on an agreement made in 1999" came out of nowhere.

The north has never one won a presidential election based on votes,they dont have the population that is why they keep crying over zoning and making threats. If they dare a coup and kill the COAS they can kiss the country good bye so i hope that's not an option. Today's problem is a product of northern greediness so they have noone to blame but themselves.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 3:48am On Oct 29, 2010
chyz1:

The north should not think about 2015,it is again sharia grin. The only fear I have is that GJ,since he is president will work in favor of installing a northerner. The best I think he should do is be non-partisan make sure all is free and fair. Obasanjo was not given presidency based on zone and he damn sure was not given presidency based on an 8 year zonal agreement. Remember Obasanjo was to leave after his first term but he out-smarted his opposition and became president again. It was after the start of his second term that this whole "We allowed you to do 8 years based on an agreement made in 1999" came out of nowhere.

The north has never one won a presidential election based on votes,they dont have the population that is why they keep crying over zoning and making threats. If they dare a coup and kill the COAS they can kiss the country good bye so i hope that's not an option. Today's problem is a product of northern greediness so they noone to blame but themselves.

Good points!!! smiley smiley
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by EzeUche0(m): 3:49am On Oct 29, 2010
Onlytruth:

Answer:

Gbam! Gbam! and more Gbam!
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by Onlytruth(m): 3:49am On Oct 29, 2010
jason12345:

@ bolded

it btw the igbos and the yorubas.

yes i agree the igbos have been marginalised! i'm 100% with you on that. also igbos have quite a store of talents.

but we have to be honest here, the igbos are partly the cause of their marginalisation because they did not produce a presidencial candidate this yr and when they eventually do, they may produce up to 60!!!.

about the media thing, forgive me if i'm ignorant but i think each state produces their news paper and their is a tv station in each state. so, i think it has nothing to do with the SW.

and yes, the igbo candidates you mentioned are more than qualified to replace OBJ talkless of IBB and co.  i agree the igbos have talent and they have been cheated [/b]but about the [b]marginalisation thing, i don't agree.

after GJ, if the igbos can produce a credible candidate then we have to support him!!!!!

In Nigerian situation, cheating is the same thing as marginalization.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by Nobody: 3:54am On Oct 29, 2010
@OnlyTruth

Awww, sometimes I feel you tho. Eyah.
If it was my state. . . .hmmm
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by Ojiofor: 4:23am On Oct 29, 2010
a vote of thnx for my Igbo brothers in this forum, Dalu nu, Ndewo nu, Ka nu, unu ji sie ike na ulo, onye nwere unu nwere nmadu.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by chyz1: 4:48am On Oct 29, 2010
Ojiofor:

a vote of thnx for my Igbo brothers in this forum, Dalu nu, Ndewo nu, Ka nu, unu ji sie ike na ulo, onye nwere unu nwere nmadu.

Nno ooo. Ekele gi. Oriseburuwa gozie gi smiley
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by Onlytruth(m): 6:03am On Oct 29, 2010
Ohanaeze Ndigbo: Keeping faith in truth

By Oscar Onwudiwe
Friday, October 29, 2010

Inconsistency (they say) is the hallmark of a good politician,  On the other hand, Consistency should be the hallmark of a socio-cultural group whose modus and purpose are usually altruistic. In this regard, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has kept faith with their pronouncement (as published) on the presidential election and the overflogged issue of zoning.

For those who may not know, Ohanaeze Ndigbo is the apex socio-cultural organization of that tribe who are the number one believers in the political territory called Nigeria, having jump- started the struggle for her independence with the sword of truth and logic and a will that knows no defeat.

History must be fair to Ndigbo; the most forgiving tribe in Africa if not the world. They happen to be the victims of the first pogrom & Genocide in Africa. They have suffered political betrayals, persecutions, marginalization, lowest    revenue allocation and bitter conspiracies all borne out of misunderstandings:  yet they forgive, forget and love the perpetrators and oppressors, live and invest more in their land and provide services to them without bitterness. Ndigbo introduced compromise into Nigerian politics and the stabilizing effect has kept the country one till today,  So when Ohanaeze Ndigbo speaks. It is for that tribe that has the highest stakes in the country called Nigeria having with their blood, sweat & tears invested in every corner of the territory of Nigeria.

Leaders of Ohanaeze have always been men of great accomplishments,  Men who are mindful of the peculiar position of the highly misunderstood people that they  lead. Men who know the socio-political history of their people alot more than those who now call themselves politicians– hence Ohanaeze has been consistent. The sound logic employed in the interpretation of the so called zoning formula of the P.D.P gladdens the heart and if this is juxtaposed on earlier pronouncements of Ohanaeze, you see consistency.

In 1998-1999, at the Jos Convention of PDP, an eminent Igbo son was conspired against and betrayed. It was taken in good faith, no bitterness and all Igbos stayed on and voted for P.D.P. By 2001 the normal taking for granted of Ndigbo had begun; so they met under the umbrella of Ohanaeze in Enugu and –resolved to seek the office of the President with vigour come 2003; not for the sake of it, but for the fact that Ndigbo can be a lot more fair at handling national issues since they nurse no bias against any tribe in Nigeria. Moreover, it is justiceable and in-tandem with the spirit of Zoning. However, it did not work out and the nation watched the drama of the PDP primaries at Eagles Square in 2002-2003.  Yet, with no bitterness, the Igbos did not desert PDP, they stayed on till date.

In 2005, Ohanaeze Ndigbo again came out with a time honored statement, they said “ We have served Nigerians for 45 years as supporters, deputies, cheer leaders and the henchmen of Presidents chosen by brother zones during the military era and after. It is only fair and imperative in a democracy, that the baton should be passed on to Igbos, or Ijaws or Ibibio or Urhobos or itsekiris, or Efiks or Annag or Ogonis or Isoko, Ika etc all from the land of the rising sun (East of the Niger and Midwest).”

That demand in 2005, was clearly an equity –oriented formula and for as long as Nigerians remain addicted to the tribal hype, the interest of the various ethnic groups must not be ignored. Now in 2010, Ohanaeze demonstrated integrity and consistency in line with earlier positions on the issue of zoning and said it is fair to support G.E.J from the south-south zone. Again ,you can see the beauty of the Igbo tribe, they are not asking for any promise from the Ijaws who have hardly ever given them any political support since 1959.

Rather in principle, Ohanaeze is saying, Ijaws are part of Nigeria from the South –South zone and they deserve to have the highest office in the land at this time. The south-south zone  even deserved it by 2007. How can one fault that spirit and the logic? If truly we believe in peace and unity.

To the other Igbo brothers who see Nigeria as Northern & Southern protectorate and believe that power would be dashed to them when they support the  North, may I remind them that alliances are kept by respect and or fear and not love. Power in Nigeria is not about individuals, it is about how each tribe can scheme her way into power by obtaining the co-operation of others.

Consistency attracts respect. Group cohesion could stimulate fear. The Ohanaeze message is clear. Ndigbo should stand by what is just. It is just to support G.E.J in the circumstance.

Ohanaeze Nda-ewo!!!

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/2010/oct/29/opinion-29-10-2010-002.htm
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by 175(m): 7:01am On Oct 29, 2010
Ok
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by 175(m): 7:09am On Oct 29, 2010
Ok
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by kettykin: 7:49am On Oct 29, 2010
ibos are too naive and gullible to rule nigeria, GEJ will most likely hand over to a middle belter:

The carelessness of ibos this 2011 will keep them in the political wilderness of nigeria another 40 years:

Sometimes the predicament of ibos makes even the british to weep
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 9:40am On Oct 29, 2010
Onlytruth:

In Nigerian situation, cheating is the same thing as marginalization.

I really feel for the ndigbo. i think i feel what you are feeling.
An igbo man will be president soon enough, we cannot sweep it under the carpet and even the igbos know it!!! but my brother, screaming marginalisation and biafra will make nigeria suspicious of you. most people think once we have an igbo president, he will just use the national revenue to by weapons for biafra and then secede !!!!!!!!

Ndigbo, needs to rise up!! Ndigbe will not be in the political wilderness and not have a president, but first, the act of act of cheat-beating and distance they give the country needs to reduce.

Onlytruth, thats why we need GJ to weaken this cabals before we are able to vote freely. If someone like DD declares his ambition 2015, we have no choice but to vote for him, we need Ndigbo in nigeria.

soon enough you will get there, but voting for IBB in the pretence of igbo interest would be a bad political move, because the country is change and so must the political game of the ndigbo change. we are having more literates, so a vote for ibb would mean (to most nigerians) ndigbo has embraced backwardness (tufia!).
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 9:45am On Oct 29, 2010
Onlytruth:

Ohanaeze Ndigbo: Keeping faith in truth

By Oscar Onwudiwe
Friday, October 29, 2010

Inconsistency (they say) is the hallmark of a good politician,  On the other hand, Consistency should be the hallmark of a socio-cultural group whose modus and purpose are usually altruistic. In this regard, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has kept faith with their pronouncement (as published) on the presidential election and the overflogged issue of zoning.

For those who may not know, Ohanaeze Ndigbo is the apex socio-cultural organization of that tribe who are the number one believers in the political territory called Nigeria, having jump- started the struggle for her independence with the sword of truth and logic and a will that knows no defeat.

History must be fair to Ndigbo; the most forgiving tribe in Africa if not the world. They happen to be the victims of the first pogrom & Genocide in Africa. They have suffered political betrayals, persecutions, marginalization, lowest    revenue allocation and bitter conspiracies all borne out of misunderstandings:  yet they forgive, forget and love the perpetrators and oppressors, live and invest more in their land and provide services to them without bitterness. Ndigbo introduced compromise into Nigerian politics and the stabilizing effect has kept the country one till today,  So when Ohanaeze Ndigbo speaks. It is for that tribe that has the highest stakes in the country called Nigeria having with their blood, sweat & tears invested in every corner of the territory of Nigeria.

Leaders of Ohanaeze have always been men of great accomplishments,  Men who are mindful of the peculiar position of the highly misunderstood people that they  lead. Men who know the socio-political history of their people alot more than those who now call themselves politicians– hence Ohanaeze has been consistent. The sound logic employed in the interpretation of the so called zoning formula of the P.D.P gladdens the heart and if this is juxtaposed on earlier pronouncements of Ohanaeze, you see consistency.

In 1998-1999, at the Jos Convention of PDP, an eminent Igbo son was conspired against and betrayed. It was taken in good faith, no bitterness and all Igbos stayed on and voted for P.D.P. By 2001 the normal taking for granted of Ndigbo had begun; so they met under the umbrella of Ohanaeze in Enugu and –resolved to seek the office of the President with vigour come 2003; not for the sake of it, but for the fact that Ndigbo can be a lot more fair at handling national issues since they nurse no bias against any tribe in Nigeria. Moreover, it is justiceable and in-tandem with the spirit of Zoning. However, it did not work out and the nation watched the drama of the PDP primaries at Eagles Square in 2002-2003.  Yet, with no bitterness, the Igbos did not desert PDP, they stayed on till date.

In 2005, Ohanaeze Ndigbo again came out with a time honored statement, they said “ We have served Nigerians for 45 years as supporters, deputies, cheer leaders and the henchmen of Presidents chosen by brother zones during the military era and after. It is only fair and imperative in a democracy, that the baton should be passed on to Igbos, or Ijaws or Ibibio or Urhobos or itsekiris, or Efiks or Annag or Ogonis or Isoko, Ika etc all from the land of the rising sun (East of the Niger and Midwest).”

That demand in 2005, was clearly an equity –oriented formula and for as long as Nigerians remain addicted to the tribal hype, the interest of the various ethnic groups must not be ignored. Now in 2010, Ohanaeze demonstrated integrity and consistency in line with earlier positions on the issue of zoning and said it is fair to support G.E.J from the south-south zone. Again ,you can see the beauty of the Igbo tribe, they are not asking for any promise from the Ijaws who have hardly ever given them any political support since 1959.

Rather in principle, Ohanaeze is saying, Ijaws are part of Nigeria from the South –South zone and they deserve to have the highest office in the land at this time. The south-south zone  even deserved it by 2007. How can one fault that spirit and the logic? If truly we believe in peace and unity.

To the other Igbo brothers who see Nigeria as Northern & Southern protectorate and believe that power would be dashed to them when they support the  North, may I remind them that alliances are kept by respect and or fear and not love. Power in Nigeria is not about individuals, it is about how each tribe can scheme her way into power by obtaining the co-operation of others.

Consistency attracts respect. Group cohesion could stimulate fear. The Ohanaeze message is clear. Ndigbo should stand by what is just. It is just to support G.E.J in the circumstance.

Ohanaeze Nda-ewo!!!

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/2010/oct/29/opinion-29-10-2010-002.htm

my brother coming 2015, i believe an igbo man will be voted for in Nigeria by both the yorubas, SS and the middle-belt. i would even spear head the campaign but in the uk and nigeria. smiley.
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by jason12345: 9:49am On Oct 29, 2010
for all i know, if IBB becomes the president, then he will be there till 2019. and after he would say," I have an information that will threaten the sovereignty of this nation, i hereby annul this election". : cheesy
Re: Jonathan Must Hand Over In 2015. He Cannot Be Sworn In Thrice by chiozor: 9:56am On Oct 29, 2010
so which state in SE will produce the presidency. Enugu, Anambra, Abia, Imo or Ebonyi lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Tops 2012-2013 Fiscal Responsibility List In Budget Discipline / Jonathan Will Come Back, Rochas Will Join PDP- Apostle Johnson Suleiman / Breaking!!! Dss Shuns High Court Order, Vow Never To Release Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.