Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,309 members, 7,811,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking (39560 Views)

World university rankings 2024 / Two Nigerian Universities Break Into Africa's Top 10 / UI, UNN, UNILAG Shine In Centre For World University Rankings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 12, 2019
University of Ibadan
Teaching score: 23.4
Covenant: 27.2
Summation of score for
UI= 191.6
CU=190.3
Ref:HigherEd can you explain why CU was rated higher over UI?

Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by Valleys(m): 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2019
ChiefS:
Medicine
Which fruit? The doctors in your hospitals both home and abroad where were most of them trained? When there is need for referrals where are patients mostly referred to? Is it not in University teaching hospitals? The quantum of research in the universities and specialized training going on there are mostly responsible. The main reason for medical tourism is that successive governments have done little to fund the health sector.

Many of the medications/drugs you use are largely manufactured by local pharmaceutical companies who also sponsor research in Pharmacy departments of a few universities

Communication":
The Engineers in MTN, Glo,Smile and the rest, radio and TV stations were mostly trained in Nigerian Universities/Polytechnics

Banking
Those who install and maintain communication infrastructure in Nigeria are largely trained in Nigerian Universities.

Arm chair critics just sit down and condemn Nigerian universities without being able to proffer positive solutions. The truth is that until we have a government that is genuinely interested in improving the standard of education there is only very little that individual institutions can really do.
Government insists that tuition should be free and does not really provide the required funds to subsidize the cost of training each student. Compare our fees here and countries where things are really working. I have been to top Universities in the US and even South Africa and I know what needs to be fixed. Many of Nigerian lecturers in top Universities in the US have their first and some even post graduate degrees in Nigeria.

Bros, go to any nearby teaching hospital, just enter 2 or 3 departments. Ask them their status as regards accreditation (national and west African college). In my department, our seniors go to a 2nd gen university to learn and prepare for part ii. Why because no accreditation for almost two yrs now. This is one
of the first gen universities.

If I hear MTN and Glo... After almost 20yrs of mobile Telecom in Nigeria, little or no tech advancement and you are saying something about their workers. Those guys are there to service the companies. How many cities can you get 4G network? Remember the world is now talking about 5G. Do you remember when broadcasting corporation said we will soon Port to digital broadcasting? Have we done that? Pay per view is still foreign to us.

Don't just mention banking because majority of our banks are not "healthy". It's just a matter of time you will start seeing it. Go and find out the failure rate of POS across the country.
You talked about having a government that is willing...
But we the people make up the government. Profs are in government. Medical doctors are in government. Why are they not doing the right things? Because the people get the leaders they deserve.

About universities being cheap. Bro, go to German public schools and check their fees. Forget about American universities. The state can afford to subsidize education just like petrol product.
Go to oil industry, no advancement at all. We just mine and export. Then buy the refined one on way back.

About the boldened, is it not the same universities that don't care about their own students. When I was Uniben, there was a time police shot a student on his way home. Do you know that Uniben deleted his account from their database. They denied him. And you want things to work? Because those in government have finished enriching themselves.
Like I said before Nigeria was not meant to progress. Go and check history. This is a fraud called Nigeria. So do not expect that education will work.
The bold step should be to seek people's consent as regards the government they want. If not there will be no patriotism. Without this no government establishment will progress. Look DSS, they serve the government in power. Nnpc is almost useless. And the list goes on...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by Legendguru: 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2019
smiley
Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by immortalityk: 4:51pm On Sep 12, 2019
frog12:
show us!! we want to go down this path!

That moniker really describes who u are
Which is a frog
Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by Cousin9999: 4:57pm On Sep 12, 2019
frog12:
you believe this crap! how much did covenant pay for that jump? hey, covenant just invented a one-chance detector. hahahahhaha

They probably paid slightly less than the western schools buying rankings.
Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by Cousin9999: 4:58pm On Sep 12, 2019
frog12:
i dey laff

Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by DrayZee: 6:03pm On Sep 12, 2019
Vianna:
Laughable

The OP is no doubt a student or alumni of covenant..

No Nigerian university makes the best 3,000 in the world when we start putting so many factors together.. forget about all these webometrics ranking nonsense. Or how often their webpage is visited nonsense. Nigerian universities are mediocre
I don't think it's hard to see that this isn't Webometrics.
Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by HigherEd: 6:45pm On Sep 12, 2019
asuustrike1:
University of Ibadan
Teaching score: 23.4
Covenant: 27.2
Summation of score for
UI= 191.6
CU=190.3
Ref:HigherEd can you explain why CU was rated higher over UI?
Each criterion carries different weight. Teaching, Research, Citation are 30% each. Internationalisation 7.5% Industry income 2.5%
So you have to have the right score in the right places to matter.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by HigherEd: 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2019
teepain:

Laudable achievement by Covenant University, more wisdom to the school's management, the alumni association and the current students.

By way of digression, I understand that American University owned by Atiku is one of the most expensive universities in Nigeria right now. Would you know if they were ranked at all. Same thing for the Bells University.

Thanks.
No they weren't. Bells wants to be ranked though. But I don't see them entering the top 1000 in the next 10 years.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 12, 2019
HigherEd:

Each criterion carries different weight. Teaching, Research, Citation are 30% each. Internationalisation 7.5% Industry income 2.5%
So you have to have the right score in the right places to matter.
Hmmm! But why did CU increased it's tuition fee for international students?
Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by TheVictorious(m): 4:05pm On Sep 13, 2019
Aarondan:

Another dumb wretched poor man on social media. Instead of celebrating the success and progress the institution is making in a short time, your problem is on the vision 2020 as that's going to be a solution of your poor life.

This is why I hate NL these days.

Who is this animal now on my mention, and who told you that I ain't celebrating my alma mater's success? The person who I mentioned understands me but this you busy body that I didn't invite suddenly quotes me to insult me.

Spits for the future of Nairaland.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by Passion2009: 4:38pm On Sep 13, 2019
frog12:
i hear dem dey bribe teachers for LASU

This is not true. It used to happen some years ago but the university under the current VC has flushed out many of the bad eggs. Make a research on recent happenings in LASU over the past 3years - LASU is now a World Bank Africa Centre of Excellence.
Re: Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking by HigherEd: 7:54pm On Sep 13, 2019
TheVictorious:

This is why I hate NL these days.

Who is this animal now on my mention, and who told you that I ain't celebrating my alma mater's success? The person who I mentioned understands me but this you busy body that I didn't invite suddenly quotes me to insult me.

Spits for the future of Nairaland.
Exactly

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hilarious. #oaustories Now Trending On Twitter / Photo From FUTO Exam Hall / Missing 500L OAU Female Student (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.