Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi (24629 Views)

Nigeria Borders Closure, Creating Hunger For Beninois And Nigeriens - IMF / Beyond Our Land Borders Closure / The Real Politics Behind Borders Closure In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by AFONJAPIG(m): 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2019
adekolaelect:
you can't solve that issues of illegal importation with only mar sacking or probing official in charge bcs it is in Nigeria. In my own a leader can't dictate or to still be in charge of everything but those he put in charge to represent him are sabotaging the activities of a leader and if you sack them !! You appoint another one.yet they will still do more .To me what he did is the best due to the environmental and the nature of who African or Nigerians are.The best languages Nigerians or Africans understand is SELFISHNESS .they can sabotage anything for their personal benefits .
what is taking the dullard sai barbar too long to sack all these incompetent clowns on his rank...
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by gtown: 9:47pm On Sep 18, 2019
Fashdeejay:
yet the borders in the north are more porous than bod Risky's butt.... u can literally stroll into nigeria carrying bags of drugs, ammunition and slaves with no one to question u.... the emir is as dumb as the president. As unpatriotic as the president, as tribalistic as the president... he is no different from buhari...
So closing our borders to eliminate smogging is now an unpatriotic act and tribalistic? But who told you it is only Benin border that is closed?
Ok, Peter Obi will close the Niger and Tchad borders in retaliation for you when he comes 2023, if that is your problem
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Fashdeejay(m): 10:16pm On Sep 18, 2019
gtown:

So closing our borders to eliminate smogging is now an unpatriotic act and tribalistic? But who told you it is only Benin border that is closed?
Ok, Peter Obi will close the Niger and Tchad borders in retaliation for you when he comes 2023, if that is your problem
Have u been there The niger and Chad border?
There is no border.... in the north.... weapons are being smuggled into the country from that part.... there is no border in the north... but the benin/ badagry border is closed.... speak of the borders in the north brother
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Okoroawusa: 10:21pm On Sep 18, 2019
SoNature:

He's very okay.

He's telling you how an ideal system works
An ideal system is not a real system...if I ask the question "is there anything like platonic love?",I will get so many answers to that question. What does that tell you?. It means that the concept of "ideal" is subjective i.e. it is dependent on who is looking or explaining.
Why I asked if he was well was because he was imposing his own views,bias on the subject matter which seems to me like a derailment from what the topic intends.

Thank you for allowing me show myself this evening. I come to Nairaland to enjoy n amuse myself not to hold lectures....I go woz u slap now
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by obama30: 10:32pm On Sep 18, 2019
jarawa:

what of Northern boarders where killers use to enter Nigeria, what of Dan-isa boarder at Dura? i blame the west that put him in power but how long can Buhari remain in power. by end of next 3 years and 8 months he must surely stay aside and watch as the boarders open again. an idiot that didn't consider made in Nigerian product that use to be ship to others African countries. all the north care is issue concern oil, but to stop herdsmen that killing Nigerian by closing all northern boarder is impossible for Mr. president. when it come to northern, Boko-Harm and fulanis issues he blames polios borders that cannot be close, but when it concerns oil the southern borders can be close.
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by maisauki: 10:35pm On Sep 18, 2019
Gracealone:
Sanusi Lamido has no choice but to support the govt.

My take is, smuggling is bad , right!. But where is the locally a produced rice?
how many tons of local rice do you want? we have the capacity to supply 60 tons weekly to any part of the country

1 Like

Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by maisauki: 10:43pm On Sep 18, 2019
Okoroawusa:

An ideal system is not a real system...if I ask the question "is there anything like platonic love?",I will get so many answers to that question. What does that tell you?. It means that the concept of "ideal" is subjective i.e. it is dependent on who is looking or explaining.
Why I asked if he was well was because he was imposing his own views,bias on the subject matter which seems to me like a derailment from what the topic intends.

Thank you for allowing me show myself this evening. I come to Nairaland to enjoy n amuse myself not to hold lectures....I go woz u slap now
in economics, macroeconomics, what we have is optimum and optimum doesn't denote 100%. as such, if you try explaining stuffs to someone and he seems to be off the track, just zoom off

1 Like

Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Okoroawusa: 10:48pm On Sep 18, 2019
maisauki:
in economics, macroeconomics, what we have is optimum and optimum doesn't denote 100%. as such, if you try explaining stuffs to someone and he seems to be off the track, just zoom off
Okwa ya?

That's what Karl Popper,a philosopher of science, calls Verisimilitude
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Tonnierichy(m): 11:37pm On Sep 18, 2019
clarocuzioo:
It is crass ignorance on the side of the emir to support to support the government on the closure of border because of rice. Its obvious he does not understand perfectly well what happens at the borders.

Is it only rice that is being imported through the borders?

Presently we have over four trailers of hides and skin coming from Mali stuck in the border .

What about other exports to other African countries?

All of them will now be in comatose because of rice.
The presidency should device an effective means of curbing smuggling in the boarders not shutting it down, trust me it is counter productive.

SANUSI LAMIDO SANUSI should know better.
Shut up
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Emmasnoop(m): 11:54pm On Sep 18, 2019
Brainless cows.
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by clarocuzioo(m): 12:44am On Sep 19, 2019
harjay1986:

Read my lips
Our boarder is not a port or airport if you want to mo e your hid and skin use appropriate channel , you actually pay tax to the country you are moving it from but when you get to Nigeria you will quickly offer bribe instead for you to pay d duties

Please kindly educate me on the approiate channel to move hides and skin from Mali?

Also note that duties are paid on those land borders, besides , is it my problem that he has corrupt custom officials, he claimed to be fighting corruption so he should deal with erring officers, not suffering innocent people unnecessarily.

Even in Apapa Wharf, custom officials take bribe, why is he not shutting down Apapa wharf?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 3:29am On Sep 19, 2019
maisauki:
how many tons of local rice do you want? we have the capacity to supply 60 tons weekly to any part of the country

Thanks.
No, I just wanted to emphasize that you do not have enough to sufficiently feed the population.
Even now after the border closure, I only see imported rice.
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by obi58: 3:59am On Sep 19, 2019
Logobenz:
such trash undecided

Why am I not surprised?

These are the enemies of our country.

Your stupidity has been recognised. angry undecided angry
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by maisauki: 6:49am On Sep 19, 2019
Gracealone:

Thanks.
No, I just wanted to emphasize that you do not have enough to sufficiently feed the population.
Even now after the border closure, I only see imported rice.
border closure dissimilar to data wiping
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by currencyz22: 8:32am On Sep 19, 2019
Are the northern border with Chad, cameroon and Niger close too
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by sparko1(m): 8:45am On Sep 19, 2019
SLAP44:
Let's call a spade by its proper name Emir, the government in Nigeria has failed completely. Why should closure of your border be a method to stop illegal importation when your government is paying thousands of incompetent people to man its borders till date.

I still didn't hear that the ministry of interior or the head of customs has been sacked by the government, they are just taking the easy way out to place a blanket ban like they did in 1984, triggering the "essential commodities " scarcity that crippled the nation back then.

Continue to close your borders and don't sanitize the customs which come into supermarkets to seize goods which they collected bribes to let into the country at the borders.

It's a failure of leadership.

Young man keep quiet!, better still go and read you book! A country like Nigeria shouldn't have what we call scarcity of essential commodities, its a slap to our face, how can a country of 190 million people be talking of scarcity, even if 10 million go into extensive farming, that should last for years.

You want government to fund the farmer, but don't know that fuel subside and those smuggling is hurting the economy of the country. We need to learn the hard way, nothing comes easy, those rice and goods that comes in, come at a very steep cost to our country's economy.
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Vicilo(m): 9:39am On Sep 19, 2019
Shut ur mouth Sanusi, y close only southern borders while northern borders are left open for all kinds of smuggling? Eg arms, terrorist, illegal immigrants, rice etc. Southerners should keep deceiving themselves, in northern border, rice smuggling is allowed, in fact they smuggle with just barrow
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by Barzinime(m): 11:24am On Sep 19, 2019
You be choirmaster?
You are the only one that will sing your song
Nonsense undecided undecided

grin

Awol1:
Is there any law, custom or tradition, that would prevent PDP from giving this man presidential ticket?

If PDP can pull this off, it would be a walkover, no debate.

Pair him with Peter Obi or Umahi, and we are fine.

Sanusi is one northerner I hold in high esteem and he's a PDP apologist, so it would be easy.

In another news, if as a critic of Buhari administration, I also, wholeheartedly agree with border closure.

My Igbo brothers should stop importing foreign rice through Benin. It will help our local farmers get the adequate reward for their sweat.

Sanusi/Obi2023, let's sing this song loud.
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by adekolaelect(m): 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2019
AFONJAPIG:
what is taking the dullard sai barbar too long to sack all these incompetent clowns on his rank...
Hummm professor of politics !!!! If a child is stealing your next step is to kill him ,chase him out of home or you to put more mechanism in place to make it difficult for him to steal anymore .if you chose your correct answer apply it whenever you become a leader.
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by OruExpress: 4:21pm On Sep 19, 2019
RichDad1:

Have you been there ?
Did you know the President of Niger has been lobbying to have the border opened but PMB stood his ground ?
Next time try to deal with facts and not some beer parlor gossips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8jZ0ZNZ7c

Here you go. Let me know when you're ready for more
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by prof12(m): 8:27pm On Sep 21, 2019
[quote author=SLAP44 post=82352345]Let's call a spade by its proper name Emir, the government in Nigeria has failed completely. Why should closure of your border be a method to stop illegal importation when your government is paying thousands of incompetent people to man its borders till date.

I still didn't hear that the ministry of interior or the head of customs has been sacked by the government, they are just taking the easy way out to place a blanket ban like they did in 1984, triggering the "essential commodities " scarcity that crippled the nation back then.

Continue to close your borders and don't sanitize the customs which come into supermarkets to seize goods which they collected bribes to let into the country at the borders.

It's a failure of leadership.

Don't forget that 95% of custom personnel were boys of the former corrupt government of the PDP goons, sanitizing the customs service will have to be gradual.
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by urahara(m): 10:41am On Nov 30, 2019
Grandstar , Omohayek and blue3k , why do you think a respected economist like Sanusi is supporting protectionism ?
Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by omohayek: 12:25am On Dec 02, 2019
urahara:
Grandstar , Omohayek and blue3k , why do you think a respected economist like Sanusi is supporting protectionism ?
I'd start by asking whether the quotes attributed to Sanusi are even correct: heaven knows Nigerian journalists aren't exactly famous for their integrity and accuracy. Then, assuming Sanusi has indeed been quoted correctly, there is also the question of to what degree he's speaking from conviction, and to what extent he's choosing his words with some audience in view whose favor he wishes to cultivate: given Sanusi's difficulties with his state governor, it wouldn't be surprising if he decided getting into Buhari's good books might worth doing by saying something supportive, regardless of any doubts he might privately entertain (it's not as if Buhari would take any contrary advice Sanusi offered anyway).

All of the standard arguments against protectionism would remain completely valid even if Sanusi, Soludo and every other Nigerian economist came out and started jointly championing it tomorrow: ultimately economic arguments should be judged on their own merits, not based on the level of fame or influence of those who make the arguments, and there are simply no new arguments for protectionism in the economic literature that are worth taking seriously. Indeed, even if there were, Nigeria's own many failed experiences with arbitrary border closures and import bans over the last 50 years should be all the evidence one needs to accept that such measures would never work here, no matter the theoretical justifications that might be made for them. All protectionism has ever achieved in Nigeria - and all it will ever achieve in the future - is the enrichment of a coddled few through reduced competition and new opportunities for corruption, at the expense of reduced living standards for the vast majority.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Wholeheartedly Support Borders’ Closure — Emir Sanusi by urahara(m): 7:21am On Dec 02, 2019
omohayek:

I'd start by asking whether the quotes attributed to Sanusi are even correct: heaven knows Nigerian journalists aren't exactly famous for their integrity and accuracy. Then, assuming Sanusi has indeed been quoted correctly, there is also the question of to what degree he's speaking from conviction, and to what extent he's choosing his words with some audience in view whose favor he wishes to cultivate: given Sanusi's difficulties with his state governor, it wouldn't be surprising if he decided getting into Buhari's good books might worth doing by saying something supportive, regardless of any doubts he might privately entertain (it's not as if Buhari would take any contrary advice Sanusi offered anyway).

All of the standard arguments against protectionism would remain completely valid even if Sanusi, Soludo and every other Nigerian economist came out and started jointly championing it tomorrow: ultimately economic arguments should be judged on their own merits, not based on the level of fame or influence of those who make the arguments, and there are simply no new arguments for protectionism in the economic literature that are worth taking seriously. Indeed, even if there were, Nigeria's own many failed experiences with arbitrary border closures and import bans over the last 50 years should be all the evidence one needs to accept that such measures would never work here, no matter the theoretical justifications that might be made for them. All protectionism has ever achieved in Nigeria - and all it will ever achieve in the future - is the enrichment of a coddled few through reduced competition and new opportunities for corruption, at the expense of reduced living standards for the vast majority.

Thanks a lot.

I have also been meaning to ask ?

Why can't Nigeria compete in textiles with even ordinary Bangladesh ?

And also despite the fact that wages in China have gone up , Chinese textiles are still cheaper than those made in Nigeria ?

Why can't Nigeria seem to compete with other third world countries in textile production without the use of import bans ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Listed Things That Ought To Make You Proud As A Nigerian / Paul Teejay Yusuf Publishes His Remuneration Annually (Photos) / 5 Deputy Governors Reply Primate Ayodele On Prophecy: ‘It Is A Fallacy’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.