Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,566 members, 7,770,482 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:04 AM

Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice (12425 Views)

5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today / Any Biblical Proof That Suicide Is A Sin. / Does Easter Celebration Have Any Biblical Support? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Dalby(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2010
It is common practice with present day Pentecostal Christians to take their newly born to church for dedication in 3 months. Were Christians asked to do this in the bible, and where
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 31, 2010
1) Shrine/Deity-dedication of infants is very common in our villages.

2) It is NOT in the bible. . .

3) It has been known to be very potent: those infants dedicated to deities/shrines have to fight a tough battle to un-dedicate themselves, especially those who become Christians . . .
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Dalby(m): 11:34am On Oct 31, 2010
If it is not in the bible then why is it being done by Christians undecided undecided undecided
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Image123(m): 1:02pm On Oct 31, 2010
I think it has to do with a semblance of what was done in Bible days, like what happened in luke when Jesus' parents met with old Simeon and Anna. Following that, i think there's nothing wrong with it if it isn't done in an occult or worldly manner. Whether it is compulsory is another matter.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Jenwitemi(m): 1:11pm On Oct 31, 2010
Whatever ritual you do in this world is "worldly", my friend. Whether it is in the bible, quran, or any other scripture from whatever part of the world, it makes absolutely no difference.FYI, baptism is also a "worldly" ritual and so is male/female circumcision. Get your facts right, please.
Image123:

I think it has to do with a semblance of what was done in Bible days, like what happened in luke when Jesus' parents met with old Simeon and Anna. Following that, i think there's nothing wrong with it if it isn't done in an occult or worldly manner. Whether it is compulsory is another matter.
And as a side note, all rituals, be they biblical or quranic, have their origins from the occult.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Image123(m): 1:38pm On Oct 31, 2010
^and you are the ritual facts encyclopedia right? In christian lingo, there's a term called 'worldly' of which you know little about.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Jenwitemi(m): 1:42pm On Oct 31, 2010
Then define the word, "worldly", for me in christian terms, if you please.
Image123:

^and you are the ritual facts encyclopedia right? In christian lingo, there's a term called 'worldly' of which you know little about.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by honeric01(m): 2:59pm On Oct 31, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Worldly to me in christian word is what you do outside God's principles.

1 Like

Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Jenwitemi(m): 3:04pm On Oct 31, 2010
You mean, "outside christian doctrinal principles", right? Because that is what your "God's principles" sound to me. Because the christian doctrinal principles are not God's principles, definitely not as limited in scope and or depth.
honeric01:

Worldly to me in christian word is what you do outside God's principles.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by honeric01(m): 3:06pm On Oct 31, 2010
Jenwitemi:

You mean, "outside christian doctrinal principles", right? Because that is what your "God's principles" sound to me.

Not christian doctrinal principle, but bible principle, not all christian follow the bible principles, so i prefer to use the bible principle and not the other way round.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Jenwitemi(m): 3:14pm On Oct 31, 2010
Part of the biblical principles are christian's principles. So, it is still one and the same thing. Moreover, interestingly enough, there is another religion that derives it's own principles from the same book. Judaism. Are the jews outside "God's principles" then? Are they and their ways worldly, since they are not part of the christian movement?
honeric01:

Not christian doctrinal principle, but bible principle, not all christian follow the bible principles, so i prefer to use the bible principle and not the other way round.
Besides, what are the bible principles and do you follow them all yourself?
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by honeric01(m): 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Part of the biblical principles are christian's principles. So, it is still one and the same thing. Moreover, interestingly enough, there is another religion that derives it's own principles from the same book. Judaism. Are the jews outside "God's principles" then? Are they and their ways worldly, since they are not part of the christian movement?Besides, what are the bible principles and do you follow them all yourself?

sure, we know that it's just the Christians that are suppose to follow bible principles, the jews (Judaism) use same bible but not all, they believe in just the old testaments, so yes the bible serves as guideline to God's principles, if you are not a christian or jews, it's not a must you must follow these principles, you have the choice to follow whoever you want to.

As for me following all the principles in the bible, i don't have to give you any answer because i am not answerable to you, the ones i can't follow, the same bible taught me what to do about them.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Dalby(m): 4:04pm On Oct 31, 2010
If nothing supports this from the bible, then why is it a must do these days. It even causes problems in some homes between the husband and the wife shocked shocked shocked
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Dalby(m): 6:55pm On Oct 31, 2010
Image123:

Luke 2 : 23 - 39

23 (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;)

24 And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.

25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name [was] Simeon; and the same man [was] just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. . . . .

This is totally at variance with what we are doing.

The word dedication was mentioned 9 times in the bible and in ALL cases referred to houses, alters, walls etc,
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by honeric01(m): 9:39pm On Oct 31, 2010
^^^^

So it's not unbiblical right? sounds like it's biblical to me though, if most churches do it, then it's must be biblical, if it sounds like a duck, quake like a duck, walk like a duck, then it must surely be a duck.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Dalby(m): 8:28am On Nov 01, 2010
honeric01:

^^^^

So it's not unbiblical right? sounds like it's biblical to me though, if most churches do it, then it's must be biblical, if it sounds like a duck, quake like a duck, walk like a duck, then it must surely be a duck.

Matthew 7:15 (KJV): Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Acting like a duck does not make it a duck undecided undecided undecided
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by honeric01(m): 11:23am On Nov 01, 2010
^^^^^

In this case, it's a duck since the bible mentioned "dedicating" one's young the verses you posted or do you have something against dedicating one's newly born child? is it unbiblical?
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Dalby(m): 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2010
honeric01:

^^^^^

In this case, it's a duck since the bible mentioned "dedicating" one's young the verses you posted or do you have something against dedicating one's newly born child? is it unbiblical?

No I just wanted to know if we were instructed to do it
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by JeSoul(f): 4:22pm On Nov 01, 2010
Dalby:

No I just wanted to know if we were[b] instructed[/b] to do it
No the bibe does not instruct the dedication of infants. However, while the practice may not be spelled out in chapter and verse, it is based on biblical principles/examples. We see little children being brought to Jesus to pray for them and parents dedicating their children to Lord. You are presenting your child before the church and thanking God publicly for the precious gift and soliciting prayer from the congregation that that life will belong to the Lord. Ain't nuthin wrong with that.

However infant dedication must not be confused with infant baptism - the two are very very different, with the later appropriately drawing criticisms of being contra-biblical. Cheers.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by honeric01(m): 4:27pm On Nov 01, 2010
Dalby:

No I just wanted to know if we were instructed to do it

Well not everything in the bible has the "thou shall" on it, but there are some we need to do without the "thou shall" on it.

dedicating your newly born to God to me sounds like something that's good to do.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Image123(m): 9:06am On Nov 02, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Trust me, you wouldn't understand it. Let's focus on what you may need instead.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Enigma(m): 9:40am On Nov 02, 2010
I am going to throw into the mix that we should even be cautious about criticising infant/child baptism; remember that Cornelius and his "household" were baptised and who is to say that the "household" did not include infants or children?
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Dalby(m): 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2010
honeric01:

Well not everything in the bible has the "thou shall" on it, but there are some we need to do without the "thou shall" on it.

dedicating your newly born to God to me sounds like something that's good to do.

The problem doing the some is that you never know when you have gone off track. See the analysis of Jesus about the sabbath day undecided undecided undecided
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by honeric01(m): 3:32pm On Nov 02, 2010
Dalby:

The problem doing the some is that you never know when you have gone off track. See the analysis of Jesus about the sabbath day undecided undecided undecided

I think this can be checked with the same word of God (the bible)
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by JeSoul(f): 3:48pm On Nov 02, 2010
Enigma:

I am going to throw into the mix that we should even be cautious about criticising infant/child baptism; remember that Cornelius and his "household" were baptised and who is to say that the "household" did not include infants or children?
Good point. And I would counter that we readily see in scripture multitudes of examples of baptism candidates, and that they were not just those who were of age, but more importantly those who were of age and of understanding to comprehend what baptism was, why they ought to partake of it, and how they ought to approach it. Infants do not have the ability to grasp any of the above.

And let me throw this into the mix, what is the motivation for baptising an infant in the first place? (that is if you're not of the catholic persuation)
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 03, 2010
We christians follows the footsteps of our lord Jesus and if Jesus was dedicated when he was born,then why should't we dedicate our children?(luke 2vs22)''And when the days of her purification according to the laws of Moses were accomplished,they brought him to Jerusalem to pressent him to the Lord.You can see that it is biblical.The only one that I don't support is infant baptism cos it is not biblical.Maybe someone might open a thread for it so that members of the catholic church might defend themselves.I wonder if there is even an iota of defence against such a practice.Besides the bible never mentioned that Cornelius had infants in his household when they were baptised.The probability that his Children were all grown ups is one. May peace from Jehovah Shalom be with us in Jesus name.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by PastorAIO: 10:10am On Nov 03, 2010
JeSoul:

Good point. And I would counter that we readily see in scripture multitudes of examples of baptism candidates, and that they were not just those who were of age, but more importantly those who were of age and of understanding to comprehend what baptism was, why they ought to partake of it, and how they ought to approach it. Infants do not have the ability to grasp any of the above.

And let me throw this into the mix, what is the motivation for baptising an infant in the first place? (that is if you're not of the catholic persuation)

Good morning. What exactly is the point of Baptism? Is it not an ablution, a cleansing away of the sinful life before? Is it not a rite (the word ritual seems to have scary undertones and is reserved for 'other religions') in which one dies with christ and is then subsequently raised into the new life with Christ?

If this rite has potency in, and of, itself then why does someone have to be 'of understanding' to comprehend what is going on? The necessity of being 'of age' and 'of understanding' suggests that in and of itself it is an empty ritual but the 'understanding' mind can fill it with significance. Actually the significance will be solely in the head of the person that 'understands' what is happening.

Krayola once sent me some lectures in which the lecturer was trying to explain how traumatising Paul's ideas were to the Jewish community. His idea that circumcision wasn't necessary and was an empty ritual, he said, was like telling christians that you didn't have to be baptised to be a christian.

In Jewish scripture Yahweh himself tells Jews (and abraham before them) to circumcise themselves and their babies as a mark of the covenant between them. This mark of Judaism was dismissed by Paul as unnecessary.

I wonder, is there any christian that can stand up to say that baptism isn't necessary to be a christian? Especially as we consider that Baptism is not effective in itself but rather only when we project such significance unto it by our mature mind of understanding.

That apart, It took me a while to enter this thread because I looked at the title and it seemed like it would be a boring drab thread, and I felt that I knew all the opinions that would be brought up. But when it kept popping up to the top of the page I realised that something must be going on here. I've read and I'm surprised to find that the number precedent for dedication that I thought people would be arguing over is not even what they're arguing over. It hasn't even come up.
First Samuel Chapter One.
1:19 They got up early the next morning and after worshiping the Lord, they returned to their home at Ramah. Elkanah had marital relations with 1 his wife Hannah, and the Lord remembered 2 her. 1:20 After some time Hannah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, thinking, “I asked the Lord for him. 3

1:21 This man Elkanah went up with all his family to make the yearly sacrifice to the Lord and to keep his vow, 1:22 but Hannah did not go up with them. 4 Instead she told her husband, “Once the boy is weaned, I will bring him and appear before the Lord, and he will remain there from then on.”
1:23 So her husband Elkanah said to her, “Do what you think best. 5 Stay until you have weaned him. May the Lord fulfill his promise.” 6
So the woman stayed and nursed her son until she had weaned him. 1:24 Once she had weaned him, she took him up with her, along with three bulls, an ephah 7 of flour, and a container 8 of wine. She brought him to the Lord’s house at Shiloh, even though he was young. 9 1:25 Once the bull had been slaughtered, they brought the boy to Eli. 1:26 She said, “Just as surely as you are alive, my lord, I am the woman who previously stood here with you in order to pray to the Lord. 1:27 I prayed for this boy, and the Lord has given me the request that I asked of him. 1:28 Now I dedicate him to the Lord. From this time on
he is dedicated to the Lord.”

Then they 10 worshiped the Lord there.
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Image123(m): 11:44am On Nov 03, 2010
Water baptism was commanded directly by Jesus Christ. He did it, ALL His disciples did it, every believer in the NT did it, even the dead did it, he that believeth and is baptised shall be saved, the same Jesus said hold fast what you have to the end, and one AI thinks we should dump it?
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by PastorAIO: 12:14pm On Nov 03, 2010
Image123:

Water baptism was commanded directly by Jesus Christ. He did it, ALL His disciples did it, every believer in the NT did it, even the dead did it, he that believeth and is baptised shall be saved, the same Jesus said hold fast what you have to the end, and one AI thinks we should dump it?

No one has told anyone to dump anything, you should read more carefully. Now where did circumcision come from? Was it not commanded directly by Yahweh himself? What is the difference?
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Enigma(m): 1:12pm On Nov 03, 2010
JeSoul:

Naaah, I am not of 'the catholic persuasion'.  smiley However, I have nothing against infant/child baptism; in fact, I support it positively. For now, I will just make two quick points: (1) Jesus said: "suffer the little children to come unto me" i.e. do not hinder the little children from coming to Him ----- think about the potential ramifications of that for infant/child baptism. (2) Do you reaaaaally think that John the Baptist would have turned away little children if they were brought to him for baptism (which was a very very very likely scenario)?
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by Image123(m): 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Good morning. What exactly is the point of Baptism? Is it not an ablution, a cleansing away of the sinful life before? Is it not a rite (the word ritual seems to have scary undertones and is reserved for 'other religions') in which one dies with christ and is then subsequently raised into the new life with Christ?

If this rite has potency in, and of, itself then why does someone have to be 'of understanding' to comprehend what is going on? The necessity of being 'of age' and 'of understanding' suggests that in and of itself it is an empty ritual but the 'understanding' mind can fill it with significance. Actually the significance will be solely in the head of the person that 'understands' what is happening.

Krayola once sent me some lectures in which the lecturer was trying to explain how traumatising Paul's ideas were to the Jewish community. His idea that circumcision wasn't necessary and was an empty ritual, he said, was like telling christians that you didn't have to be baptised to be a christian.

In Jewish scripture Yahweh himself tells Jews (and abraham before them) to circumcise themselves and their babies as a mark of the covenant between them. This mark of Judaism was dismissed by Paul as unnecessary.

I wonder, is there any christian that can stand up to say that baptism isn't necessary to be a christian? Especially as we consider that Baptism is not effective in itself but rather only when we project such significance unto it by our mature mind of understanding.
It hasn't even come up.
First Samuel Chapter One.

Your post above, for instance the bolded are very suggestive of a dump idea. You should type more carefully. Circumcision was commanded by God and Galatians 6v15 is also the Word of God, unlike your suggestive inference. Galatians 1v1,3
Re: Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice by JeSoul(f): 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Good morning.
Goodmorning afternoon to you too Pastor smiley

What exactly is the point of Baptism? Is it not an ablution, a cleansing away of the sinful life before? Is it not a rite (the word ritual seems to have scary undertones and is reserved for 'other religions') in which one dies with christ and is then subsequently raised into the new life with Christ?

I don't think so at all, and I think perhaps you're approaching the statement from the left side.

No one gets up one day and simply says "I am going to get baptised today". Some kind of experience sparks or initiates it, it is undertaken in response to a stimulus - this is the understanding I'm refering to and this is what we see in the bible. Take the case of the Ethopian Eunuch. As the scriptures were explained to him by Philip, his mind and heart were opened - this indicates an understanding of the importance of performing the symbolic act in obedience to Christ's command.

Is baptism an act that is empty of power? of course not. Why then would we be commanded to perform it? There is power in all the spiritual traditions handed to us by Christ such as communion, and yes baptism too. But it is also not an isolated impulsive act, but rather follows a change that has already occured in the heart - this is what I mean by understanding my pastor.

Being there, done that smiley

This thread might interest you, your good ol' friend Noetic was strong in attendance cheesy

Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-420977.msg5797330.html
JeSoul:

In the same way baptism is an act of obedience to Christ who commanded that we be baptised - hence it is important. However, it is not the act of baptism itself that saves - but instead the repentance. The physical act of baptism is simply the manifestation of the repentance.

So is it the Faith that saves? or the baptism? is the baptism not merely a response to the faith that is already there? and not infact the requirement for salvation?

And oh, thanks for posting that OT verse P-AIO. Sometimes I forget the goodies that are over on that side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Date For End Of The World: January 1 2017 - Sword Of God Cult / Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) / The people-of-orientation Christians Chatbox

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.