Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,135 members, 7,863,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:27 AM

To Federal Govt: Begin To Tax Vehicles In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Federal Govt: Begin To Tax Vehicles In Nigeria (473 Views)

Atiku reacts To Federal Government's Ban on Twitter / FG To Tax Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, Others / 'Enough Is Enough' — Alaafin Of Oyo 'demands' End To Federal Character (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Federal Govt: Begin To Tax Vehicles In Nigeria by badoh(m): 7:48am On Sep 21, 2019
One if the best tools of fighting corruption and money laundering in Nigeria is for the government to initiate taxation on vehicles in Nigeria as it is done in U.K. This approach from my own point of view should be targeted at our politicians that embezzle public funds and use it to acquire properties(automobiles inclusive). I heard story of a former governor that has a garage in his house with not less than 40cars parked unused when he is not a car dealer. Imagine if each of those cars are heavily taxed, they will be forced to dispose them off. Why should somebody be having more than 2 cars and some don't have at all. It will even reduce the number of vehicles plying our major roads and reduce the stress on these roads.
Re: To Federal Govt: Begin To Tax Vehicles In Nigeria by mrvitalis(m): 7:55am On Sep 21, 2019
badoh:
One if the best tools of fighting corruption and money laundering in Nigeria is for the government to initiate taxation on vehicles in Nigeria as it is done in U.K. This approach from my own point of view should be targeted at our politicians that embezzle public funds and use it to acquire properties(automobiles inclusive). I heard story of a former governor that has a garage in his house with not less than 40cars parked unused when he is not a car dealer. Imagine if each of those cars are heavily taxed, they will be forced to dispose them off. Why should somebody be having more than 2 cars and some don't have at all. It will even reduce the number of vehicles plying our major roads and reduce the stress on these roads.
I have been saying it we need to tax cars to get money to fix roads ...i have done the maths if done right we can get upto
1.7 trillion a year ...thats should fix our roads

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Federal Govt: Begin To Tax Vehicles In Nigeria by dalongjnr: 8:49am On Sep 21, 2019
to own a car is also a crime? Your heads are not correct. Every car owner pay taxes and renew particulars of the vehicle every year with nothing less than #6500. And if it's passenger car, every park they enter and pick passenger, they pay levies.

2 Likes

Re: To Federal Govt: Begin To Tax Vehicles In Nigeria by nabiz(m): 9:03am On Sep 21, 2019
badoh:
the problem is not to pay tax but what they will do with the money after collecting it. What has government been doing with the once we have paid. No infrastructure, nothing nothing
Re: To Federal Govt: Begin To Tax Vehicles In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 21, 2019
badoh:

And when the cost of transportation goes up, who suffers?

(1) (Reply)

NIGERIA @ 59: Here Are A Few Reasons To Celebrate / Fashola Come And See Oh / Photos: Nigerians React As Dino Melaye And President Buhari Exchange Greetings D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.