Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. - Romance (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. (35034 Views)

Po*n And Mastu*bation Is Taking My Life Away. / One Hand Is Working To Bring Money, The Other Hand Is Taking The Money (Pix) / 'Nigeria Shakira' Blasted For Promoting 'Half Caste Cream' By Dancing In Panties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by HBB1(m): 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2019
pickatyou:
All of you shouting and damning the consequences, I have seen its effect o. Its like two A.S persons marrying their selves and damning the concequences, you all know how the rest goes.

I don't stand for the OSU system but will I marry one. No No No!

2 AS can marry naw. Science has gone beyond that.

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 23, 2019
UIA04:

You people are funny.

People who are pushing op won't suffer with him and his wife when the consequences come.

Don't you know people who are traditional to the core will DL anything to protect it.

They will fight them spiritually and physically. When a man and wife are supposed to be enjoying their marriage and growing rich they will be fighting family members.

Innocent children will suffer.

The family of the man will hate her so much.

In my opinion, long distance relationship no be relationship.

This is not romeo and Juliet, it's real life. If you can't live with the harsh consequences of your decisions bow out.

Love kor Love ni.

That you have joined hands to perpetuate this terrible and unfair tradition is even more worrisome. You should be advocating for the abolition of this archaic tradition.

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Dpharisee: 6:58pm On Sep 23, 2019
My friend was in the same dilemma, he went ahead and married the girl, today she is the one taking care of them in old age. Their other children abandoned them to face only their families, so what would have been his parents faith now if he had listened to the nonsense back then.
Let the OP leave that girl now for a better man to spot her, OP is a weak mind and such a sweet lady as he described don't need his type to ruin their lives.
I am a progressive Igbo who is ready to protect that girl from small minds like OP.

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Cutehector(m): 7:02pm On Sep 23, 2019
Osu caste gini.. I will just caste my parents If they try that nonsense on me
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Dpharisee: 7:02pm On Sep 23, 2019
scaramucci:

That you have joined hands to perpetuate this terrible and unfair tradition is even more worrisome. You should be advocating for the abolition of this archaic tradition.

It's already abolished, read it here
https://www.pressreader.com/nigeria/thisday/20181228/282084867923772
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Vado(m): 7:07pm On Sep 23, 2019
Zikora1000:
if you are looking for someone that will give you peace of mind. come, let me show you one. her only fault, she is over 6ft tall. but nice shape humble and very pretty too.

Shoot your shot mademoiselle. grin
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by henryobinna(m): 7:09pm On Sep 23, 2019
Mrshizzy:

I don't have a problem with none igbos who have absolutely no idea about our traditions....as for the Igbo's here shouting that the op should damn the consequences, you all should know that there are traditions that are not binding on all Igbo people. Some are unique to a particular people among the Igbo's. If your own tradition is not against the OSU thing, then fine and good, you are free to marry one. But if your tradition forbids it, there is little you can do to stop it, because it is not a fight you can win easily. First you have to get everyone to agree to abolish it before you can proceed to marry one, definitely you won't marry first and start doing the fighting. I see a lot of people shouting I'm from anambara and we don't give a damn. Encouraging the OP to damn the consequences. This is coming from a people that can not damn the consequences and kill a python in most of their villages. I'm sure the Op can kill a python and damn the consequences.
personally where am from it was not practiced, so we don't have Osus... I'm from Ngwa. but that doesn't mean I should give mindless suggestions, am not stupid na... And don't plan on misleading some one..

Most of the Non Igbos here insulting igbos particularly the Yorubas, they stillnuse human heads and some cases live human being to bury their kings as well as much other evil things... I just no get anybody time sha... they can continue but the OP should be guided and not take decisions based on what some random person told him to do citing 'love' when I know it's not the love of God that doesn't change.

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Mrshizzy(m): 7:09pm On Sep 23, 2019
Dpharisee:

Backward Igbo, we don't need your type in Igboland, we have abolished OSU and moved ahead, stop dragging us back. Obi of Onisha and other prominent Igbo traditional leaders gathered at Inri on December 28, 2018 and made a declaration that binds all Igbos

Smh.....I'm not in favour of the tradition, so no need for you to call me backward. I would also advocate for the obi of Onitsha to make a declaration that stops any consequences that will follow anyone who kills a python in his very own state. Charity they say begins at home. Or don't you think that tradition needs to be abolished too? And if the obi of Onitsha did not call every traditional ruler of the very clans that still practice the OSU thing, then what ever he did is an effort in futility.
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by HBB1(m): 7:09pm On Sep 23, 2019
geosegun:

Chei, Yoruba and Igbo girls na 5&6. Nice one. Who cares about whether her ancestors were once slaves?
@OP: You better find a way to convince your parents. May be that's your own missing ribs. Stand your ground. Fight for her. You will win. Trust God and believe what I'm saying. Once your parents see that connection and love. They will bow to it. They know discrimination is wrong.

Otherwise, please, connect this precious lady to a Yoruba man to marry ASAP. This is one of the main reasons why the other tribe will continue to marry the best of your women. Very stupid tradition, one would think.

Either way. All the best.

The Ibo girls I know like Yoruba boys like kilode!

I know at least 2 that have sworn not to marry Ibo men.

Afonja with the sauce! grin
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by somehow: 7:10pm On Sep 23, 2019
So what exactly do you want from Nairaland members since you're kicking against everyone giving you ways to avoid losing her?

You want to lose her, so just tell her and let her find a better person.

Shefini!

Christopherrrr:

Everyone is using our colonial master and western world as reference. People that damned what so ever consequence. Are our people willing to embrace it to the fullest?
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Dpharisee: 7:11pm On Sep 23, 2019
Trutherme:

shocked
This is sad and unfortunate bro. I feel for you and anyone who has been in love can relate to your predicament.
The Osu Caste system is still in place among the Igbo people and I honestly don't think it will go away anytime soon. Parents have killed themselves or died of heartbreak because their sons or daughters went ahead and married someone who is labelled an Osu. Those who went ahead and married each other end up with total excommunication from family members. The fact is that those who are telling you to go ahead and marry this girl will not live with you and feel all the pains after you marry her.

I had a similar experience but mine ended well. After I introduced my then girlfriend, the only thing my mom said was 'ok we shall see' After a couple of months, she told me that all was ok and that everything was ok. I was stunned to find out that they send my uncle to Imo state and he spend a whole day making inquiries and asking questions about my wife's family.

My advice is to bring this terrible news to your girlfriend. You may be surprised by her reaction because there may have been others before you.

You and OP are from POOR family, rich families do their thing in-house and don't send anyone to go and investigate OSU for them. They simply give Umunna money to buy 10 cows and celebrate their kids marriage in the village while they host the cremes of society in Hilton Abuja or Eko Lemeridien in Lagos.

Imagine Peter Obi telling Umunna to go and research if Air Peace CEO whose son wants to marry his daughter is OSU, it will never happen tongue

OSU is for poor Igbo folks just like Almajiri is for poor Hausa folks.

Non Igbos here should take note of this about those still trying to propagate it.
I repeat checkout all the Igbos talking about abandoning the love of their lives because of Osu, they have one thing in common they are commoners from poor backgrounds

6 Likes

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by LordPsalm(m): 7:12pm On Sep 23, 2019
Its a shame that the wrong thought of our ancestors built on prejudice is still holding many down in 2019.
Ok. You'll live to regret it if u ever sacrifice ur happiness for traditon.
Ancestor were human who lived their imperfect lives and here u are letting their decree subject u into torture and regret.
Don't lose ur partner for tradition my bro. Traditions were made by men like u and me. I have BENBESTICALLY LANDED
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Midas01: 7:16pm On Sep 23, 2019
Hahahahahaha
Jombom:
Pls provide me with her phone # if she's truly interested in a serious n sincere relationship that can lead to marriage. I am Yoruba Osu matter no concern me, in fact God punish the system self.
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Mrshizzy(m): 7:20pm On Sep 23, 2019
henryobinna:
personally where am from it was not practiced, so we don't have Osus... I'm from Ngwa. but that doesn't mean I should give mindless suggestions, am not stupid na... And don't plan on misleading some one..

Most of the Non Igbos here insulting igbos particularly the Yorubas, they stillnuse human heads and some cases live human being to bury their kings as well as much other evil things... I just no get anybody time sha... they can continue but the OP should be guided and not take decisions based on what some random person told him to do citing 'love' when I know it's not the love of God that doesn't change.

My advice to the Op is to look inwards and make an informed decision..... I personally can marry an OSU and it wouldn't be a problem cause my tradition doesn't forbid it. But it will be foolish of me to adhere to my own traditions and encourage another person to go against his. The hypocrisy on this topic is just crazy. The obi of Onitsha that someone mentioned above should first lead by example and marry one into his family, it's as simple as that. Most people here shouting damn the consequence, are from villages that are not bound by the tradition.

2 Likes

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by HBB1(m): 7:25pm On Sep 23, 2019
djon78:

grin grin grin

Make I no laughoo

This reminds me one prominent Igwe from a well known town in Anambra my state announced that there is nothing like OSU again in his Town. The elders told him that it is good but first one of his sons will first marry an OSU, then they will agree to the new law. The igwe no talk again.

People saying 21st century won't understand the guys dilemma. Like he said in Igbo culture one person don't go and said he is marrying.

Marriage is a very deep thing, it involves the mans umynna or kinsmen even before his father. It involves the mans mothers people likewise the same for the girl being married. That's why divorce is rare amongst those that follow this laws because the two couples will know its a very serious business. Example in my entire family father's side mothers side to even expended family, I have never heard of a case of divorce. Never

Have you heard of unhappy marriages however?
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by HBB1(m): 7:25pm On Sep 23, 2019
BRATISLAVA:

She nt blak. White fada

Guess Obama is white too ( white mother)
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by vicadex07(m): 7:29pm On Sep 23, 2019
Christopherrrr:

Everyone is using our colonial master and western world as reference. People that damned what so ever consequence. Are our people willing to embrace it to the fullest?

E be like say you just dey whine us for here because you don't need any advice. You keep on attacking everyone advising you so just shut up and exit this fake thread.
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 23, 2019
Christopherrrr:

My problem now is how do I break the news to her for a breakup because we can't continue like this.

Please advise a brother because I'm in a deep state of dilemma.

If you don't want her. DM me, I'm interested.

Who Osu epp? Thunder fire Osu undecided
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by eventsms(m): 7:33pm On Sep 23, 2019
It all depends on your believe. My family did not believe in the system. I married so called OSU people and my life have changed for good. Marriage is a thing of mind. Ndi Igbo are political OSU and ohu in Nigerian. Good woman are rare in the society today.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by pokenose(m): 7:33pm On Sep 23, 2019
itsik:
I am currently inthjs situation.

Have a girl I wanna marry and this tore us apart.
My people the consequences are so much that it will get to your unborn generations.

Please lets leave this social media bravery and say the truth.
If you are from imo state especially. They hold it to heart.

I and my present girlfriend are no more cos of this. Infact it broke me to pieces but I cant help it. Its not about fighting.
Let me ask you guys one question. Can any of you wed and nit have your siblings, mum, dad, anybody from your village attend the occasion?
Thats whats gonna happen if I marry an Osu. And they will never visit. You and your wife will never share the same house with ur parents. Even in the village.
Your parents will be forced to make u leave and build your own house else they will join and become osus.

Please lets be guided how we talk here.

Am still in pains cos mine is not even up to 3weeks it happened.
Must you live in the same house with your parents? If they refuse to visit you, let them stay on their own. Can't you travel abroad and forget about your people forever? Look on the brighter side: You don't have to send money to anybody in the village. No family financial responsibility at all! That's a great deal my friend! Also, the family of the girl that is osu, how have they been coping all these while? Has the OSU killed them yet?

2 Likes

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by HBB1(m): 7:35pm On Sep 23, 2019
efeski:

Seems your mind's already made up so why bother asking dor advice

Your words... u know a man that made the mistake some years back bla bla bla

Bunch of hypocrites africans... i bet your folks are christian yet they still subscribe to such practices.

Bible say whom the son of man sets free is free indeed so man up and damn the consequences or lock up and move on already.

I remember uncle Eta who married his wife back then I was in JSS late 90s. Not Osu but somehow his family was against the union.
He damned the odds and went with few friends.
Today him and him wife & kids de canada.

It's your life man.
Own it

My mom was already plotting how to dabaru my eldest sister's relationship.

She 'dabarud' the first one, unto say the guy-- a Christian, had a Muslim dad. It was so painful.

When she started concocting her plans for the new one, naso the 2 of them go Court, go marry.
They didn't tell any of us.

We got to know after they had their first baby, a year after.

My mum almost had a heart attack! grin

It's been 14 years and those niggas are doing okay. Though I know my sister loved the first boyfriend more (and vice versa). But what-to-do?

The people that married based on others' people's opinions, are they happier today?

I can say for sure that my mom endured her marriage and didn't enjoy it.

Let me see the person that will tell me who to marry or not to.

Ogun kee you!

7 Likes

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by BRATISLAVA: 7:36pm On Sep 23, 2019
HBB1:

Guess Obama is white too ( white mother)

Not white. Not black. So people should stop claiming they are one race or the other.
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 23, 2019
Zikora1000:
if you are looking for someone that will give you peace of mind. come, let me show you one. her only fault, she is over 6ft tall. but nice shape humble and very pretty too.

She will fitted me better. Just sayings...

Sorry for my bad inglish, but I needs a girls lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by HBB1(m): 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
BRATISLAVA:

Not white. Not black. So people should stop claiming they are one race or the other.

Who was the first black president of America?

Oga dey deceive yourself!
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by UIA04(f): 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
Dpharisee:

Rubbish OSU is dead in Igboland

Okay o. As the council of elders that you are.
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by BRATISLAVA: 7:40pm On Sep 23, 2019
HBB1:

Who was the first black president of America?

Oga dey deceive yourself!

Continue your racial delusion.

He was not black and he was not white. Because one of your parents is one race doesn't make you that race. You become a mulatto. Meaning you have no true race.
In a country with only black people, I can understand why you don't understand race.
Black is black, white is white. Mulattos don't count.
Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by dunuch(m): 7:40pm On Sep 23, 2019
1. Are u a christian?
2. Is she a christian?

if u truely love her, then ur answers above and ur belief is what matters.

Moreover i heard sometime ago that traditional leaders in ur state came together and abolished
this "man's inhumanity to fellow man"

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by elougo(m): 7:41pm On Sep 23, 2019
Christopherrrr:

The only known repercussion is the idea you're alone and can't be involved in any family dealings or association. They can't call you their own and remember no one is an island. Damning the consequences is a very brutal one as the case may be. They're quite magnitudinous. It's quite fair if it was a mistake than being fully aware and venturing into it. It's indeed a dicey one!!

Obviously your mind is already made up. Just tell her already and let her move on to better things.

2 Likes

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by OKOATA(m): 7:41pm On Sep 23, 2019
samuelchimmy:
it's a simple thing, I don't think op loves her, as he has claimed, if he did he would have fought for the abolishment of that tradition in his community, like I said, in my own community we have signed an agreement of abolishment in 2018... Majority was in support of it, thanks to our learned people from diapora, who had issue with same evil tradition even in faraway USA, they fought for it for years, the earliest known period to me is 2005
I think the osu thing is a hatred thing, it's like their forefather hated osu and they passed the hatred from generation to another generation, has the guy even made findings on what the root cause of the tradition is? Carry stupid tradition for head like gala.

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by eventsms(m): 7:43pm On Sep 23, 2019
Ndi Igbo are political OSU and ohu in Nigerian. Good woman are rare in the society today.

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by HBB1(m): 7:44pm On Sep 23, 2019
UIA04:

You people are funny.

People who are pushing op won't suffer with him and his wife when the consequences come.

Don't you know people who are traditional to the core will DL anything to protect it.

They will fight them spiritually and physically. When a man and wife are supposed to be enjoying their marriage and growing rich they will be fighting family members.

Innocent children will suffer.

The family of the man will hate her so much.

In my opinion, long distance relationship no be relationship.

This is not romeo and Juliet, it's real life. If you can't live with the harsh consequences of your decisions bow out.

Love kor Love ni.

After one of my sister's married, we didn't even know their house ( though we lived in the same City) for close to a Year.

My sister said she didn't want any family interference... They will come visit my parents and that was it.

Stay in your bloody house!

Extended family interference is the major cause for unecessary wahala in marriages.

So my mum gossiped a sister-in-law to someone and my brother heard-- that was it!
He stopped calling or answering her calls for a very long time.

He will send money to her account as a son should do, but nothing else.

She has learnt her place now and minds her business.

If the family is proving difficult fvck 'em abeg!

1 Like

Re: Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. by Alex80s(m): 7:44pm On Sep 23, 2019
Bro, if you are a Christian, look for Powerful men of God like Fr Mbaka, Fr Nnaji etc. Reason,the OSU I know are person or persons dedicated or owned by à deity or shrine. Which meàns, I f u marry them it's assumed you have snatched them from the deity. This is not à matter of faith. Devil has power...Unless you are sure nothing fetish is involved. Meanwhile, if people are not banned from Marrying them you will also see other people married from the family to confirm that.

If anyone advises u to ignore it if don't believe in it, u are on a suicide mission if fetish rituals are involved.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Flirts With My Friend / Why Are Women This Wicked....true Story / Can You Suddenly Stop Loving Someone???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.