Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 (8527 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Help Gear Problem / Overheating Headache With Honda Accord 1997 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by pak: 2:56pm On Dec 13, 2010
Once beaten, twice shy

but what happens when you are beaten twice ?

I must add that I also had another embarrassing experience last week when I needed to service the power steering fluid. I initially used an ATF reccomended by the mech and by the time I pulled out of the garage the ff morning,
and turned the steering, it creaked like a man's whose neck was turned at an inordinate angle.

to cut the long story, I consulted the car manual and had to drain the oil (again) then used Mobil power steering fluid and normalcy was restored.

Right now the manual is like a school text book I read on regular basis.
The car is enjoyable to use but maintainance is like meeeen . . . . .
I guess its just uber fastidious and I sometimes wonder if its a luxury car . . .

I've made up my mind that I'l just import original honda fluids I need for servicing (aside the engine oil, which is easily available in Nigeria). Its actually cheaper than buying from Honda place
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by KunleA2(m): 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2010
pak:

Thanks all !!!

I can now breath a sigh of relief.

Should have posted this earlier but just wanted to be on the cautious side.

I finally got the ATF Z1's from Honda place at a steep price (even higher than the initial quote) after much cajoling. They initially insisted I must do 'servicing' before they sell the oil.

After draining the bad oil and adding the Z1 the 'thing' worked like magic. Infact it obeyed me like a submissive wife.
I flogged the car on a 24 hr trip. (12 to and fro) and yet no sign of gear probs. It was the closest you can get to a miracle.

I want to thank everybody who contributed to this success story. I wonder what would have happened if I had listened to the mechanics, one said I should change the torque converter another reffered me to someone at Ladipo who can help me change the enitre gear sys for few hundreds of thousands!!!

So this is for you
Kunle A
RICHIE BOI
Akinwole
Sultan A (the sarcastic but yet incisive one)
George D
Fraba
Zylla
web_master
and everybody who contributed to this thread

Nairaland rocks . . .

How much is the ATF-Z1 ?
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by pak: 9:25pm On Dec 13, 2010
I got 8 litres for 40k.

Though the initial quote I was given was less than that but I had to do a bit of pleading cos they didnt even want to sell in the first place
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by GeorgeD1(m): 10:36am On Dec 14, 2010
pak,
congrats for scaling through at last. now you see why every car owner should keep his manual close to his chest!
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by kenzspunpy(m): 2:49pm On May 10, 2011
hi Pak,
i read this thread carefully, am currently having the same problem with my 2004 Honda V6. infact, i just bought another gear and the problem persists. but i need to know this, is the ATF Z1 u bought specifically designed by Honda? kindly respond please
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by sultaan(m): 8:10pm On May 10, 2011
Good question, but did you try reading the thread?

You have a lot to learn and its not going to be cheap.
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by kenzspunpy(m): 4:09pm On May 11, 2011
@ Sultan, of course i have a lot to learn, which really means am still living. guess u've learnt it all . the question isnt directed at u and i have a reason for asking if the ATF Z1 is specifically designed by Honda. After reading the thread, i went to Honda Place here in Abuja requesting for ATF Z1 and i discovered that they werent ready to sell because i didnt go there with the car. the vehicle in question is stuck somewhr abt 350 km from abuja.
some guy within the building, who claim to be a dealer with Honda Place offered me an ATF Z1, produced by a Chinese company without any mention of Honda on the bottle and i refused to buy it. is it a crime to ask for clarification if one is not clear? i take exemption to ur response to my quetion, which wasnt directed at u in the first place, because it did not provide an answer. please be cautious in ur response, guess u need to learn that,

2 Likes

Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by sultaan(m): 7:31pm On May 11, 2011
kenzspunpy:

@ Sultan, of course i have a lot to learn, which really means am still living. guess u've learnt it all . the question isnt directed at u and i have a reason for asking if the ATF Z1 is specifically designed by Honda. After reading the thread, i went to Honda Place here in Abuja requesting for ATF Z1 and i discovered that they werent ready to sell because i didnt go there with the car. the vehicle in question is stuck somewhr abt 350 km from abuja.
some guy within the building, who claim to be a dealer with Honda Place offered me an ATF Z1, produced by a Chinese company without any mention of Honda on the bottle and i refused to buy it. is it a crime to ask for clarification if one is not clear? i take exemption to your response to my quetion, which wasnt directed at u in the first place, because it did not provide an answer. please be cautious in your response, guess u need to learn that,

Okay, I guess the easy part is not so easy grin

Good luck
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by lexluthor2(m): 1:00am On May 12, 2011
i have had this same kind of wahala with my gear system.you take off in the morning and the ride is as smooth as silk, after a few kilometers it begins to jerk or over rev.it was the filter in the gear.once the atf fluid gets hot it blocks the filter from allowing the gear fluid flow through easily so it interrupts forward and backward motion till it is cleaned or replaced.
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by GeorgeD1(m): 4:41pm On May 13, 2011
are we still on these gear issues?
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by sultaan(m): 7:09pm On May 13, 2011
George_D:

are we still on these gear issues?

No, OP has resolved his trans service problem.

Others have gear issues.
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by GeorgeD1(m): 7:19pm On May 13, 2011
oh yeah. i guess honda cars always have these issues. undecided
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by kenzspunpy(m): 12:54pm On May 19, 2011
fellas,
thanks ya'll for your meaningful contributions. i got the ATF Z1 from honda place for my gear and pronto, the baby is up and running. no issues, no hitches. am indeed very grateful to nairaland.
special thanks to Pac and Sultan, u guys rock,
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by babstunero: 9:02am On Jun 29, 2011
Hi great guys,

I took my time to go through the threads and comments on the Honda Accord V6 gear issues. I presently experience the same challenge and am yet to get out of it even after changing the gear.

Please where can I get the ATF Z1 fluid apart from the Honda place. I called them and was told that since my car is an American spec, they will not be able to attend to me.

I need help cos as much as I like V6 cars, this Honda has really disappointed me. I hope I can laugh last like Pak.
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by olufijabs: 5:01pm On Feb 04, 2012
Hi Pak,

Please I urgently need to fill my power steering fluid (Honda Accord 2005) and was wondering where you bought your Mobil power steering fluid.
I'm being careful as I know how particular Honda is on maintenance fluids.
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by drumme: 6:13am On Jan 15, 2013
kenzspunpy: fellas,
thanks ya'll for your meaningful contributions. i got the ATF Z1 from honda place for my gear and pronto, the baby is up and running. no issues, no hitches. am indeed very grateful to nairaland.
special thanks to Pac and Sultan, u guys rock,

hello, pls give me the adress of honda place in abuja and a phone number if possible..... i need to buy the atf z1. my number is 07039317035
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by chuka5000(m): 10:58am On Aug 31, 2014
drumme:

hello, pls give me the adress of honda place in abuja and a phone number if possible..... i need to buy the atf z1. my number is 07039317035

I need the nmbr too
Re: Help: Gear Issues With Honda Accord V6 2003 by krimkidd: 11:08pm On Aug 28, 2015
Please how many liters of atfz1 did you use for the gear oil change

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disastrous Impacts Of Overheating / Choosing The Right Oil For Your Car! / Do you need doctor's report for your tinted vehicle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.