Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! (38506 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 2:54am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yes, those women are beautiful lol. But they're married.

I am talking about you o! wink
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 3:02am On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

I am talking about you o! wink
awww. So what is really going on, you've been sweet all morning. Juju?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 3:12am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

awww. So what is really going on, you've been sweet all morning. Juju?

No, I got a feeling. That tonight is going to be a good night. lol

I am a nice man if you get to know me.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 3:17am On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

No, I got a feeling. That tonight is going to be a good night. lol

I am a nice man if you get to know me.
LOL Just tonight? Thought I made your every night good? Na wa o.

I already know you're nice. You just like to front on politics.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by chic2pimp(m): 3:35am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

When I was younger, I've been beaten by my neighbors for misbehaving. As I grew up, it became clear to me that the more an outsider corrects my action, the more shame I bring unto my parents. Anytime I go to a family or neighbor's house, when asked to eat, I'd often respond with "No". I look unto my parent's face to decide my answers. If my grandma winks her nose or move her lips somehow, it means she wants me to say "no". Sometime when I get in trouble in the midst of a crowd, I'd be secretly pinched right away to let me know I'm in trouble.
A Big Lesson that I learnt the hard way grin.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 3:42am On Nov 07, 2010
lol abi
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by shanda(m): 4:55am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke Idi, I hardly comment on nairaland, but when I saw this thread, I couldn't describe the joy that I felt within. I'm yoruba, and I love the culture so much. Yoruba culture is really interesting and wonderful. Sometime ago I met a brazilian and cuban at different time, who happened to be decendants of yoruba slaves. They still preserve most of the yoruba culture in their respective countries. Orisha worshipping (called Santeria in Cuba and Candomblé in Brazil) is the most popular religion in Cuba. I noticed the brazilians have lost the aspect of respect, which to me is very very important part of Yoruba culture. A couple of guys have set up a yoruba training institutes in brazil teaching them more about the yoruba culture. Check the link below to read about the personal experience of Dr Niyi Afolabi in Brazil.

http://host1.bondware.com/~Louisiana_Weekly/news.php?viewStory=192

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 07, 2010
shanda:

Ileke Idi, I hardly comment on nairaland, but when I saw this thread, I couldn't describe the joy that I felt within. I'm yoruba, and I love the culture so much. Yoruba culture is really interesting and wonderful. Sometime ago I met a brazilian and cuban at different time, who happened to be decendants of yoruba slaves. They still preserve most of the yoruba culture in their respective countries. Orisha worshipping (called Santeria in Cuba and Candomblé in Brazil) is the most popular religion in Cuba. I noticed the brazilians have lost the aspect of respect, which to me is very very important part of Yoruba culture. A couple of guys have set up a yoruba training institutes in brazil teaching them more about the yoruba culture. Check the link below to read about the personal experience of Dr Niyi Afolabi in Brazil.

http://host1.bondware.com/~Louisiana_Weekly/news.php?viewStory=192

Really?!!! Ope o! Nkan ti mo fe ma gba niyen.

Se e moh gba ti training yen bere?

They need to teach them respect. . . .respect is the most important part of our culture. Without respect, what is YORUBA?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by shanda(m): 8:55am On Nov 07, 2010
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 07, 2010
shanda:

Here is an excerpt of the interview with one of them http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/arts-a-review/9753-brazil-nigeria-are-twin-sisters-that-share-same-culture and the school's website http://yorubainstitute.org/plus/
Thank You oh, my sister.

This is good! Instead of practicing the almost-real culture, why not teach them the real one cheesy

Since the institute’s establishment, what impact would you say it is having in promoting the Yoruba culture in Brazil?

We have been making significant success in educating people and creating awareness in Brazil. First, we have succeeded in including Yoruba Culture and Language into the academic curriculum of one of Brazil’s best universities — Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (The Federal University of Minas Gerais). Not only that, we have also succeeded in setting up several workshops, seminars, lectures and festivals to bring the Brazilian people closer to the Yoruba culture. So also, we do receive various Yoruba intellectuals here to contribute to our activities. Today, the Insitute can boast of a Yoruba choir group which comprises of 50 Brazilians and also, we have a Yoruba theatre group that explores and projects on stage the very many aspects of the Yoruba oral literature. All these, I will say, have been carrying our Brazilian sisters along and invariably the Yoruba culture is becoming more prominent in the country
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2010
GELE - HAir Scarf

The traditional Yoruba hair piece. It's now being used by women across Nigeria for styles. Some basic gele are worn for daily use, but the most extravagant hair piece are worn only for special occasions.

The art of gele is marked by a sense of dynamic form, in which eloquent and elegant creases, vertical stretching, horizontal elongation, perpendicular balance, spiral twists, among other design configurations, are used to create a structure out of cloth, a structure that acts as a crown for the head.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_2qz06B_8ReQ/SRyM6QiJpfI/AAAAAAAAADw/rhr4Ln25b_M/s1600/Ankara%2B%26%2BGele.jpg[/img]
[img]http://africanbeauty.ca/images/portfolio/7.jpg[/img]

I am not sure if this is still being practiced in Yorubaland, since the styles of gele have changed.
Back in my grandmother's time, the way gele were worn were specific on age. When I was a child, my grandma would always tie my gele in the front, she'd almost go crazy whenever I tie it in the back grin

For children yet to be adults, their gele were tied in the front. Mean that their future is ahead of them ["Ojo ori n bo"]

[img]http://www.utexas.edu/opa/photo/slideshows/2009/fulbright/600_450/durham__be_ia5560.jpg[/img]

For middle aged women, they tie their gele at the side of their head. Meaning they're at their prime ---> Getting ready for marriage, family, etc.

[img]http://2.bp..com/_pdPgAWf_DRw/SgvDSA3UT6I/AAAAAAAAEGQ/RSjWk1xiqtw/s400/headtie-gele.jpg[/img]

And old women ties theirs at the back of their head. Meaning the sun has set. . . . wink

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by spikedcylinder: 5:31pm On Nov 07, 2010
This girl and all things traditional sha! cheesy
Very good info about geles by the way, I doubt it is still being practiced though.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 07, 2010
spikedcylinder:

This girl and all things traditional sha! cheesy
Very good info about geles by the way, I doubt it is still being practiced though.

LOL I doubt it too. With all these new geles, you cant even tell where it started or ended cheesy

This lil girl has it tied to the side, so dnt think it's that important anymore.

[img]http://lang.nalrc.wisc.edu/resources/press/img/newyoruba1.gif[/img]
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 07, 2010
Nice one. The yagba people are in Kogi but the yorubas in kogi and part of kwara are collectively called Okun. We're craving for a state called Okun State, the Igala have dominated the politics of Kogi State. I'm typing this to let you people know that We've got Yorubas in Kogi State, Okun ooo (Okun is a form of greeting like Ẹkún, Ọkún)
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by jason12345: 6:01pm On Nov 07, 2010
i so much love the yoruba culture!!! cheesy so rich and full of life!!!!!!!

and i love the yoruba ladies mehn!!!! they are just too much.

i have a friend and she is part yoruba and part sierra lone!!! she speaks yoruba like mad cheesy!!! she has a kid now and she wants to also teach the kid yoruba. she is even more ""yoruba"" than me and she has only been to nigeria once!!!

GOD BLESS THE YORUBA RACE AND NIGERIA!!!! DON'T FORGET THE ITSEKIRIS OOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 6:08pm On Nov 07, 2010
stevetboy9:

Nice one. The yagba people are in Kogi but the yorubas in kogi and part of kwara are collectively called Okun. We're craving for a state called Okun State, the Igala have dominated the politics of Kogi State. I'm typing this to let you people know that We've got Yorubas in Kogi State, Okun ooo (Okun is a form of greeting like Ẹkún, Ọkún)

Oh thanks. We know that Kwara is a Yoruba state.
One day one day, we'll get it back wink

@Jason
Yes o wink
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 07, 2010
[b]Yemaya [/b]is the Yoruban Orisha of the living Ocean, considered the Mother of All. She is the source of all the waters, including the rivers of Western Africa, especially the River Ogun. Her name is a contraction of Yey Omo Eja, which means "Mother Whose Children are the Fish". As all life is thought to have begun in the Sea, all life is held to have begun with Yemaya. She is motherly and strongly protective, and cares deeply for all Her children, comforting them and cleansing them of sorrow. She is said to be able to cure infertility in women, and cowrie shells represent Her wealth. She does not easily lose Her temper, but when angered She can be quite destructive and violent, as the Sea in a storm.

As modern sciences has theorizes and ancient cultures have known, life started in the sea. As an embryo we all spend the first moments of our lives swimming in a warm sea of amniotic fluid inside our mother's womb. We must transform and evolve through the form much as a fish before becoming a human baby. In this way Yemaya displays herself as truly the mother of all, since she is the seed of all manifestations. Yemaya dresses herself in seven skirts of blue and white and like the seas and profound lakes she is deep and unknowable, but also caring and nurturing. Yemoja embodies all characteristics of motherhood, caring and love. This maternal source of divine, human, animal, and plant life is most widely symbolized by the ocean. However, in Yoruba, Yemonja is the deity of the Ogun river, which is the largest river within the territory of the ancient Yoruba.

Myth: Yemaya is a West African creation goddess, often depicted as a mermaid. She is associated with the moon, the ocean and female mysteries. Typically portrayed as a beautiful woman, Yemaya governs the household and intervenes in women's affairs. She is a merciful goddess, invoked by women for aid in childbirth, love and healing. She rules over the conception and birth of children and ensures their safety during childhood. As a creation goddess, Yemaya's womb spilled forth the fourteen Yoruba goddesses and gods, and the breaking of her uterine waters caused a great flood, which created the oceans. From her body the first human woman and man, who became the parents of all mortal beings on earth, were born.

Yemaya's Wisdom
: I nurture, heal, touch, bless, comfort and make whole that which is incomplete. I am within you and you need only look inside yourself to find my eternal presence.

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2010

Oya, the Yoruba goddess of the wind. She is the female warrior and Shango never goes to war without her. She rules the cemetary.

Oshun, the Yoruba diety of feminity and beauty. She leads the fearful Iyami, the feminine life force that can be either destructive or creative. Yoruba kings cannot
rule without Iyami.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by firestar(f): 5:40am On Nov 08, 2010
This. . . This is beautiful! I'll be right back!
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:02am On Nov 08, 2010
Our mothers wore their wrappers around their body, some wore beaded [usually orange] bracelets as accessories.

[img]http://eccentricyoruba.files./2010/07/african-women.jpg?w=420&h=307[/img][img]http://eccentricyoruba.files./2010/07/look-at-her-hair.jpg?w=420&h=329[/img]

As time went by, our styles began to change. . . . we began to wear geles [hair wrapper]. I am not exactly sure how it started, but my own theory is that it started with women needing to cover their head as they go to the farm. Yoruba women are hardworkers, if not the best in agriculture. They carry heavy loads on their head from the long journey from farmland to their home.

[img]http://4.bp..com/_Vahp1KQFSMQ/SYep8xvfhLI/AAAAAAAAAuo/jP36VRhccsw/s400/eYoruba+Women_1970s_Elisofon.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_Vahp1KQFSMQ/SYeq1-4oVBI/AAAAAAAAAu4/ffdAYYMdRjg/s1600/Ogunji_by%2Ba%2Bquiet%2Bsea.jpg[/img]
(Yoruba girl in dark blue demonstrating our culture] wink

As time goes by, our women started tying a piece of the woven cloth tied around their mid part. . . .this is often used during "Ijo Ibile" [Origin dance]

Now adays, the Yoruba attire is not complete without:

IRO - Bottom Wrapper
Buba - The top
Gele- Head wrapper.
Jewelries - Usually made out of Orange beads.

And sometimes, A piece of the cloth is hanged around the shoulder or tied around the waist. I prefer neither tongue tongue
The beautiful thing about our attires is that they come in different styles, so many many styles. Can be one-piece or more pieces, can be worn as skirts and buba, so many many styles and designs.

Notice the piece on the shoulder and the one piece (dress) style wink

The Gele

FOR WEDDINGS, WE USE THE HAND FAN AS A STYLE

ONE AND 2 PIECE SETS

[img]http://olutos.files./2010/09/59401_10100318610778320_7915924_64519185_5759872_n.jpg?w=423&h=720[/img]
[img]http://olutos.files./2010/09/40924_10100317302954210_7918075_64481158_7337712_n1.jpg?w=490&h=367[/img]
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 08, 2010
Dan cing is a very important part of the Yoruba Culture. We dance to our cultural drums, [b]Bata [/b]aka the talking drum [we'll discuss that later]. Many have claimed that the bata talks to them and that it's beat summons muscle pulls from different parts of their body. Which viewers sees as dance moves.

Our cultural dance is also called IJO IBILE. Videos below. Notice that in the second video, the lead dancer usues Irukere [as previously discussed].
These are IJO IBILE. Our usual dance moves are very energetic  wink

[flash=300,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsvcVUNm-hA?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]  [flash=300,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDINmR7gj38?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

Pictures of our Yoruba dancers. Both male and female.

The smiling girl looks like my cousin awww kiss

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by oludashmi(f): 8:43am On Nov 10, 2010
Padi mi Ileke-idi, se o wa pa. ba wo lara e? Mo ti e ti ri pe ko ko ko lara ota nle cool
Ori mi n wu fun gbogbo asa wa to fi sibi yi . . .Oodua a gbe e oo.

Ma worry, ti a ba eventually gba Oodua land yi, you should be part of the Ministry of foreign affairs. wink Keep it up.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 10, 2010
oludashmi:

Padi mi Ileke-idi, se o wa pa. ba wo lara e? Mo ti e ti ri pe ko ko ko lara ota nle  cool
Ori mi n wu fun gbogbo asa wa to fi sibi yi . . .Oodua a gbe e oo.

Ma worry, ti a ba eventually gba Oodua land yi, you should be part of the Ministry of foreign affairs. wink Keep it up.

Lol ala ni mi se, in seun.

me ko ase ibile ria ni gba ti sukuru ba fun mi laye. Gimme some ideas and I'll post info on it.

Remain blessed.

I hope you understood the ekiti I wrote wink
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by oludashmi(f): 10:24am On Nov 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Lol ala ni mi se, in seun.
me ko ase ibile ria ni gba ti sukuru ba fun mi laye. Gimme some ideas and I'll post info on it.
Remain blessed.

I hope you understood the ekiti I wrote wink
Lol. Mo understand e, mo fi agbari gbe tori Ilesha ni mi, se o mo pe ede awon mejeji jo ra won.
o da, fun wa ni itan tabi aworan nipa alafin oyo, ile ife etc wink cool
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 10, 2010
Ok, I'll be on it soon. Thanx for the suggestion wink
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by oludashmi(f): 10:51am On Nov 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

mo jeri ee
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 12, 2010
Yemoya? I tot It's Yemoja?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by shanda(m): 3:41pm On Nov 12, 2010
* Africa: Yemoja, Ymoja, Yemowo
* Brazil: Yemanjá, Iemanjá, Janaína
* Cuba: Yemaya, Yemayah, Iemanya
* Haiti: La Sirène, LaSiren (in Vodou)
* USA: Yemalla, Yemana, Yemoja
* Uruguay: Iemanjá

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by SAKUR: 10:48pm On Nov 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Hey Ileke-Idi you are too much in my communication class we were told to make a speech presentation about our culture or hometown,I just copied all the information you posted here with the pictures studied everything show them in class while making the speech presentation on wednessday, and I got 98 over 100 you are too much 98 gbosa for you

I thereby give you the traditional title of Iyalode of nairaland. smiley wink kiss kiss
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 12, 2010
SAKUR:

Hey Ileke-Idi you are too much in my communication class we were told to make a speech presentation about our culture or hometown,I just copied all the information you posted here with the pictures studied everything show them in class while making the speech presentation on wednessday, and I got 98 over 100 you are too much 98 gbosa for you

I thereby give you the traditional title of Iyalode of nairaland. smiley wink kiss kiss

I'm happy it helped cheesy
Next time get that 100/100 tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hausa Durbar In Pictures / Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson / Ooni Of Ife Names His Newborn Prince Adesoji Aderemi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.