Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,925 members, 7,814,108 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! (38505 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 12, 2010
stevetboy9:

Yemoya? I tot It's Yemoja?
shanda:

* Africa: Yemoja, Ymoja, Yemowo
* Brazil: Yemanjá, Iemanjá, Janaína
* Cuba: Yemaya, Yemayah, Iemanya
* Haiti: La Sirène, LaSiren (in Vodou)
* USA: Yemalla, Yemana, Yemoja
* Uruguay: Iemanjá

Shanda thanks.
The spelling varies by region.

Even in Uruguay shocked? I wonder what it's called in Germany/ trinada and tobago.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 11:29pm On Nov 12, 2010

The Sekere is a percussion instrument that also considered a drum.  It is a hallowed out , dried gourd wearing a network of beads which allow percussionist to utilize dual sounds while playing.  The dual sounds being the sound or tone of the gourd itself in addition to the sound of the beads on the gourd. They're made in different shapes, size and color.

Yoruba ppl sometimes use this in church and at a cultural dance.

[img]http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/v42/n18/sekere.gif[/img]

They're made in different shapes, size and color.

How To Hold Your Sekere
     When handling and/or playing your sekere, or any instrument, treat it with respect and courtesy.  Always hold your sekere in a slanted, diagonal position.  If you are right handed you would loosely grasp the neck of the sekere with your right hand and gently cup the bottom in your left hand.  If your are left handed you would loosely grasp the neck with your left hand and cup the bottom with your right.  All of the control when playing the instrument is in the hand around the neck.   The best way to hold your gourd is to hold your sekere with your thumb and forefinger and middle finger around the neck.

Striking the Gourd
     Strike the sekere with the palm of your hand safely avoiding the beads. The hand on the bottom of the sekere is used to bring out the tones in your instrument.  All sekere (s) have different tones which is the sound you get when you strike the bottom of the gourd.  Some are low and some are high, some are easy to find and some are not.  It is up to you to bring out the tone in your gourd.  You do this by lifting the gourd by the neck with your controlling hand then dropping the gourd while at the same time striking the bottom of your sekere.  Please avoid striking it directly in the center of the belly which would be the small noggin which you can usually feel if you run your hand along the bottom of the gourd.  The hand you are lifting with should not be too snugly wrapped around the neck of your gourd but loosely riding along it.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by amor4ce(m): 7:00am On Nov 15, 2010
Nice job, I very much admire your ambassadorial work!
I wonder if you have substantial information - or useful links - about the being referred to as "Ela" mentioned in our oral traditions.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 17, 2011
So I missed your reply, hope you're still on NL grin

Ewo o n je "Ela"? Omo ibo ni e? It might depend on where you hail from.

amor4ce:

Nice job, I very much admire your ambassadorial work!
I wonder if you have substantial information - or useful links - about the being referred to as "Ela" mentioned in our oral traditions.

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 1:00am On Jan 18, 2011
Nice threads! cheesy.

Please translate the meaning of "Jin go lo ba". It's the title of this song:

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhFyF8dvU4

Here's a cover version that became a top 100 hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACw2RIVZvZw&feature=related

I just would like to know the meaning of what I sing  smiley

I'll ask more questions later. I just need some time to read the entire threads.

Kind regards.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 18, 2011
LOL the youtube is def Yoruba, but I'm not sure what "Jingo ba lo" means. embarassed

So you actually listen to those kind of songs? Are you sure you're not Yoruba? *hmm* jk lol
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 1:55am On Jan 19, 2011
Nay I'm not yoruba  grin. You're the first Yoruba that I've ever met. My parents are Italian, but I was born and raised in here, so I am mostly "Latino".

The only Yoruba words that I know are:

Agogo (¿Bell?). The Brazilians use their version (agogô) of the original instrument in Samba music.
Ife (Love). It's also the title of a great song by my favorite artist, Miles Davis (arguably the best jazz artist ever). I found the meaning of this word in here.

I love jazz, but I listen to every kind of music (except the noise assault found in massive concerts or discotheques). I'm not fond of feeling my ribcage trembling  angry.

It's difficult not to check out Babatunde Olatunji, especially when you find out that he had such notorious fans like Santana and John Coltrane (another jazz giant and my 2nd favorite artist) covering his songs, or dedicating compositions to him.

Besides, it's soo catchy. One of the comments in Youtube is quite clear: "I you do not feel this in your blood, you are not alive". I would love to hear a 20 + drum esemble "live".

Now, I've got a some questions/comments:
Ileke-IdI:

How To Hold Your Sekere
     When handling and/or playing your sekere, or any instrument, treat it with respect and courtesy.

Very true. It's essential to get crisp, clear and beautiful sounds out of the Shekere, or any other instrument. Music is not a display of strength (unless you're playing rock).

Ileke-IdI:

These are IJO IBILE. Our usual dance moves are very energetic  wink

Also very true. I was intruduced to King Sunny Ade in this forum. Where do they get all that energy from?  .

"So dancing is an important factor in our wedding ceremony, especially when the bride is being "danced" down the aisle."

"The Engagement is the part where the groom's family is expected to bring the items listed in the engagement list given to them. This list is often agreed upon ahead of time and may include some of the following items: yams, honey, salt, fish, drinks, a suitcase of clothes for the bride, The Bible, an engagement ring, etc."

The Sephardim (Iberian Jews) had similar traditions. In their case, the bride must take a ritual bath (tvilah) in a special bath house (Mikveh) before the wedding. In the ceremony, the bride was accompained by all the women in the family (including the mother-in-law). The groom was responsible for the bath's payment, and for providing towels, sandals and cosmetics. The whole ritual was accompained by joyful songs. I don't know if it´s still practised today.

Quote:
BRIDE and mother In-Law  (If happiness and respect can be achieved between the two, the marriage will flourish without war).

Mothers-in-law? I you wouldn't have told that detail, I would thought that they were the biological mothers, especially the woman wearing glasses smiley

This relationship also is crucial among the Sephardim.

I would also like to know about the importance of relationships with the father-in-law and in-laws in general, for both the bride and the groom.

Quote:
"I noticed the Brazilians have lost the aspect of respect, which to me is very very important part of Yoruba culture".

I'm afraid that this problem can be found anywhere today  angry.

P.S. How many threads have you posted?. 1.000.000?. They are all great!. Please post some links. Tank you.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 2:22am On Jan 19, 2011
Also very true. I was intruduced to King Sunny Ade in this forum. Where do they get all that energy from? Huh.

Lol lemme stop on my track and address this before addressing your whole post.

ROTFLMAO!!! lol grin grin grin Its from the food we eat tongue
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 2:30am On Jan 19, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Nay I'm not yoruba  grin. You're the first Yoruba that I've ever met. My parents are Italian, but I was born and raised in here, so I am mostly "Latino".

The only Yoruba words that I know are:

Agogo (¿Bell?). The Brazilians use their version (agogô) of the original instrument in Samba music.
Ife (Love). It's also the title of a great song by my favorite artist, Miles Davis (arguably the best jazz artist ever). I found the meaning of this word in here.

I love jazz, but I listen to every kind of music (except the noise assault found in massive concerts or discotheques). I'm not fond of feeling my ribcage trembling  angry.

It's difficult not to check out Babatunde Olatunji, especially when you find out that he had such notorious fans like Santana and John Coltrane (another jazz giant and my 2nd favorite artist) covering his songs, or dedicating compositions to him.

Besides, it's soo catchy. One of the comments in Youtube is quite clear: "I you do not feel this in your blood, you are not alive". I would love to hear a 20 + drum esemble "live".

Now, I've got a some questions/comments:
Very true. It's essential to get crisp, clear and beautiful sounds out of the Shekere, or any other instrument. Music is not a display of strength (unless you're playing rock).

Also very true. I was intruduced to King Sunny Ade in this forum. Where do they get all that energy from?  .

"So dancing is an important factor in our wedding ceremony, especially when the bride is being "danced" down the aisle."

"The Engagement is the part where the groom's family is expected to bring the items listed in the engagement list given to them. This list is often agreed upon ahead of time and may include some of the following items: yams, honey, salt, fish, drinks, a suitcase of clothes for the bride, The Bible, an engagement ring, etc."

The Sephardim (Iberian Jews) had similar traditions. In their case, the bride must take a ritual bath (tvilah) in a special bath house (Mikveh) before the wedding. In the ceremony, the bride was accompained by all the women in the family (including the mother-in-law). The groom was responsible for the bath's payment, and for providing towels, sandals and cosmetics. The whole ritual was accompained by joyful songs. I don't know if it´s still practised today.

Quote:
BRIDE and mother In-Law  (If happiness and respect can be achieved between the two, the marriage will flourish without war).

Mothers-in-law? I you wouldn't have told that detail, I would thought that they were the biological mothers, especially the woman wearing glasses smiley

This relationship also is crucial among the Sephardim.

I would also like to know about the importance of relationships with the father-in-law and in-laws in general, for both the bride and the groom.

Quote:
"I noticed the Brazilians have lost the aspect of respect, which to me is very very important part of Yoruba culture".

I'm afraid that this problem can be found anywhere today  angry.

P.S. How many threads have you posted?. 1.000.000?. They are all great!. Please post some links. Tank you.

awww, thanks lol. Dont worry, I'm very cultural and will continue to post more.

I enjoy your posts, thanks. . . . especially the similarities between those different cultures you listed and Yoruba. Seems like you're interested in African cultures, is that part of your studies?

I actually have 2 research papers ( for diff classes) due at the end of this semester. One is on cultural anthropology. Most of my papers have always been on Nigeria or Yoruba [go figure lol], I was hoping you can hint to me some ideas about your culture. hehehe, a topic is due by next week cry cry

P.S have you read TELL MY HORSE by Zora Neale Hurston? Seems like back then, there were a lot of cultural similarities between the Jamaicans/Haitians and Yoruba tribe. Interesting stuff, you should skim through the book [or sparknotes.com it] smiley
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 2:57am On Jan 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

awww, thanks lol. Dont worry, I'm very cultural and will continue to post more.
I enjoy your posts, thanks. . . . especially the similarities between those different cultures you listed and Yoruba. Seems like you're interested in African cultures, is that part of your studies?

Thanks a lot. I enjoy your posts too. Besides learning how to plaw (or rather struggle with tongue) percussion and guitar, I'm also a bookworm. I try to learn everything I can , I've been a bit lazy these days with readings undecided . My interest in African cultures started when I bought a bougarabou (a conic shaped hand drum from Senegal, similar in sound to the djembe, but with a lower pitch. That's the drum I'm struggling with It's my way of ending each day in a peaceful mood.

Ileke-IdI:

I actually have 2 research papers ( for diff classes) due at the end of this semester. One is on cultural anthropology. Most of my papers have always been on Nigeria or Yoruba [go figure lol], I was hoping you can hint to me some ideas about your culture. hehehe, a topic is due by next week cry cry

Sure, no problem. Just tell me where should I start. Italy or South America?.

P.S. I'll check the book you recommended me.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 3:02am On Jan 19, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Thanks a lot. I enjoy your posts too. Besides learning how to plaw (or rather struggle with tongue) percussion and guitar, I'm also a bookworm. I try to learn everything I can ,  I've been a bit lazy these days with readings  undecided . My interest in African cultures started when I bought a bougarabou (a conic shaped hand drum from Senegal, similar in sound to the djembe, but with a lower pitch. That's the drum I'm struggling with  It's my way of ending each day in a peaceful mood.

Sure, no problem. Just tell me where should I start. Italy or South America?.

P.S. I'll check the book you recommended me.

Interesting. . . bookworm lol. Back in the days, I used to be like that, dusting my pages. Now I just touch, slide and read my ebooks tongue

Let's start with italy, something cultural and something I can write ATLEAST 20 pages about. thanks

So you can beat the drums too? And guitar? ok, I officially dub you a geek (jk jk) grin
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Jenifa1: 4:32am On Jan 19, 2011

Please translate the meaning of "Jin go lo ba". It's the title of this song:

it has no meaning.
My best guess is that the singer made up the lyrics so that it matched the drum beats. which makes the tune even catchier.
some African song lyrics have no meaning probably because it makes you pay more attention to the sounds/music.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 12:54am On Jan 20, 2011
Jenifa_:

it has no meaning.
My best guess is that the singer made up the lyrics so that it matched the drum beats. which makes the tune even catchier.
some African song lyrics have no meaning probably because it makes you pay more attention to the sounds/music.

Thank you very much for the information. Some of our traditional Afro-Creole songs were composed in the same manner.

Ileke-IdI:

Interesting. . . bookworm lol. Back in the days, I used to be like that, dusting my pages. Now I just touch, slide and read my ebooks tongue

Let's start with italy, something cultural and something I can write ATLEAST 20 pages about. thanks

So you can beat the drums too? And guitar? ok, I officially dub you a geek (jk jk) grin

Well, I'm still in the exercise and practice phase, which is not glamorous for most people, but is necessary nevertheless. With a little creativity, you can get some melody out of the exercises

Geek grin?. Well ,  many "geeks" (infinitely brighter than me, of course), have improved, if not saved, the lives of millions, through their contributions in arts and sciences.  grin Thanks for the compliment  grin. Now you've raised the bar way too high  grin

OK, I'll start with Italy ,  I wouldn't like to be admonished by the moderator for sending off-topic posts, but since you asked about Italy, here we go:

Quote:
A nation of 90 million STRONG, the Yoruba ppl of West Africa Presents. . . .
EXPOSURE TO ONE OF AFRICA'S MOST WELL PRESERVED CULTURE.

Italy has a population of 60 million. Estimates of the Italian Diaspora vary, but it ranges between 50 and 70 million.

So we´re a strong nation too, but very heterogeneous, as I would explain later

Quote:
The family is the most sacred and significant institution to the Yoruba, who are child-centered, ruled by the elderly, and controlled by adults. The family is an effective unit of political control, religious affiliation, resource allocation, and assurance of safety. It is also the most effective agent of socialization. The family teaches the first lessons in  discipline, personal gratitude, and affection.

Family is also extremely important in in the entire country, but in the southern provinces, which are still poor and insecure, family ties are even stronger.

Quote:
Many Yoruba proverbs reiterate the view that the dead gave birth to the living, and the living ought to give birth to and nurture the children who represent the future.

The remeberance of ancestors has been deeply embedded in Italian culture since Roman times.
Ancient Romans worshipped their ancestors, prayed to them and asked for their guidance. This tradition changed vastly through history, but the rememberance of ancestors it's still present today. It's not uncommon to find pictures of parents, aunts, uncles, grand parents, great grand parents, etc.  in Italian houses.

Quote:
Respect is so embedded in our culture, that in every move we make, we must not neglect is. During a wedding, Respect is a must!

We used to have very high standards of respect. Today, respect and good manners largely depend on parental guidance. Polite people usually come from families in which good manners have been the norm for generations.
Italians are very, very hot-headed.  embarassed but we're also very emotional, sentimental, good natured and affectionate (leaving modesty aside  embarassed).

Italy has 20 regions. Each own has its vernacular language. The official language is Italian, along with French, German and Slovene in some provinces near France, Austria and Slovenia, respectively.

The regional vernacular languages are called "dialects". This is, in my opinion, quite wrong, since modern Italian is largely based on Florentine Tuscan, a "dialect"  tongue.

Some regional languages, like Piedmontese, are hevily influenced by French (no relation to Florentine Tuscan  tongue).

Garibaldi is considered the father of the nation, but the king of Savoia (Piedmont) via his troops, effectively united the country in 1870. The ideologue of Italian Union was another nobleman from Piedmont, Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour, a very cultivated person of great intelligence, common sense and diplomatic skills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont

Sicily is another interesting case. Due to its location, in the heart of the mediterranean, Sicily was occupied by Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Tunisian Arabs, Normans, French, Catalans and Spaniards. Needless to say, the majority of Italians do not understand Sicilian, which has plenty of words derived from Arab and Spanish (no relation to Florentine Tuscan either  tongue)

The Tunisian Arab and Middle Eastern influence can be still seen in Sicilian cuisine, traditional dresses, popular songs, and even DNA (nearly 40%). Please see "population genetics" in the following link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicily

Well, any comments and questions are welcome.

P.S. What's the meaning of ROTFLMAO.
I'm a bit apprehensive about forums. There are too many people who bravely insult you, behind the safety of a nick.
This is the first forum in which I've been respected, indeed  smiley
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 3:04am On Jan 20, 2011
^^^ Thanks a lot, Alco. I was actually speaking with a professor of mines, earlier today. The topic introduction is due tomor, I came online to actually see what you suggested. Phew!! You know not how of great help your basic information about Italy/Roman ethnography IS!!
So I'll boldly do my paper on your topic. Hope you stick around for a LONG while, just in case I have more questions. You seem quite knowledgeable, thank God!

ROTFLMAO!! is an acronym for Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Azz Off. tongue It's something people write when they find your post funny.

As for rude comments : Dont expect any from me. I'll admit that I've been rude and disrespectful to some people that dont deserve it on this forum. But if you respect me, I definitely will respect you. No problem.

Now back to my paper. . . .wait wait. . . . Do you know much about the medicinal and [b]traditional [/b]medicinal methods in Italy/Romania back in the days? Thanks!
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 3:05am On Jan 20, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Thank you very much for the information. Some of our traditional Afro-Creole songs were composed in the same manner.

Well, I'm still in the exercise and practice phase, which is not glamorous for most people, but is necessary nevertheless. With a little creativity, you can get some melody out of the exercises

Geek grin?. Well ,  many "geeks" (infinitely brighter than me, of course), have improved, if not saved, the lives of millions, through their contributions in arts and sciences.  grin Thanks for the compliment  grin. Now you've raised the bar way too high  grin

OK, I'll start with Italy ,  I wouldn't like to be admonished by the moderator for sending off-topic posts, but since you asked about Italy, here we go:

Oh really! grin grin
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 4:18am On Jan 20, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Thanks a lot, Alco. I was actually speaking with a professor of mines, earlier today. The topic introduction is due tomor, I came online to actually see what you suggested. Phew!! You know not how of great help your basic information about Italy/Roman ethnography IS!!
So I'll boldly do my paper on your topic. Hope you stick around for a LONG while, just in case I have more questions. You seem quite knowledgeable, thank God!

ROTFLMAO!! is an acronym for Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Azz Off.  tongue It's something people write when they find your post funny.

As for rude comments : Dont expect any from me. I'll admit that I've been rude and disrespectful to some people that dont deserve it on this forum. But if you respect me, I definitely will respect you. No problem.

Now back to my paper. . . .wait wait. . . . Do you know much about the medicinal and [b]traditional [/b]medicinal methods in Italy/Romania back in the days? Thanks!

Oh I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that at all. I wasn´t precise enough. embarassed
I'm not versed in "Internet" English, because I am apprehensive about forums.
I would never expect anything disrespectful from you. Quite the contrary. From me, you will only receive respectful comments.  wink
Just tell me about anybody who's bullying you and this "geek" will turn into a Jaguar mixed with a Puma  grin. Those are our deadly big wild cats  shocked

You're welcome. This post was written hastily so I will correct myself on a few points

Cavour was the "architect" of Italy. He left the country wirtually united shortly before his death in 1861. 1861 is the officially accepted date for the birth of the country.

On medicine: No. Sorry. I know that Galen was the greatest physician in the Roman Empire, perhaps the first one to base his knowledge on empirical evidence. I don't know if that helps you.

A very important note: Please consult other sources. If you haven't noticed it yet, I have ties to both Piedmont and Sicily, so this post is sort of biased  smiley

Ileke-IdI:

Oh really!  grin grin

Really. (NOT!). "Geek" has many connotations, but the word can be applied to a person with extraordinary intellectual capacities, and difficulties to communicate with people.

This is a very brief description of Sir Isaac Newton  shocked

I wish I could be so relevant. sad

Good luck with your paper. smiley

I will return later to comment on this beautiful thread.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 20, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Oh I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that at all. I wasn´t precise enough. embarassed
I'm not versed in "Internet" English, because I am apprehensive about forums.
I would never expect anything disrespectful from you. Quite the contrary. From me, you will only receive respectful comments.  wink
Just tell me about anybody who's bullying you and this "geek" will turn into a Jaguar mixed with a Puma  grin. Those are our deadly big wild cats  shocked

LOL! Funny you. grin Fortunately, I have my own claws, so you need not worry about Ileke-Idi's bullies.

But on a serious note, I've always wonder if there are such species of man that still retained their animal side, I'm not talking about homo sapients that have the personality of a Canis lupus familiaris. But the physical and chemical (molecular) instant change of man to beast and beast to man. Now tell me, wouldnt that be awesome?

You're welcome. This post was written hastily so I will correct myself on a few points

No need. The post was well understood.

Cavour was the "architect" of Italy. He left the country wirtually united shortly before his death in 1861. 1861 is the officially accepted date for the birth of the country.

On medicine: No. Sorry. I know that Galen was the greatest physician in the Roman Empire, perhaps the first one to base his knowledge on empirical evidence. I don't know if that helps you.

A very important note: Please consult other sources. If you haven't noticed it yet, I have ties to both Piedmont and Sicily, so this post is sort of biased

I was not planning on grilling you on the specifics of your medicinal tradition. If you know the basics of your culture and some few explanations, it would be of great help. A lil on the mythology side too.
But if you dont know it, dont worry.

Ha!! Of course I'll consult other sources. I doubt that I can use Alco as a primary/secondary source in my citation.

Alcofrybas:

Really. (NOT!). "Geek" has many connotations, but the word can be applied to a person with extraordinary intellectual capacities, and difficulties to communicate with people.

This is a very brief description of Sir Isaac Newton  shocked

I wish I could be so relevant. sad

Good luck with your paper. smiley

I will return later to comment on this beautiful thread.

LOL very funny you.

You are relevant.

Thank you.

Plz do.

P.S, TO QUOTE: once you click reply, scroll down. Each response will have a "insert quote" by the upper right side. click on it.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 12:07am On Jan 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

But on a serious note, I've always wonder if there are such species of man that still retained their animal side, I'm not talking about homo sapients  that have the personality of a Canis lupus familiaris. But the physical and chemical (molecular) instant change of man to beast and beast to man. Now tell me, wouldnt that be awesome?

Homo sapiens?. Not really.   cry. Sadly, even in the 21st century, there are several sick and insane people who enjoy hurting others, or feel compelled to do so, for several reasons that are better known by Psychiatrists. They all belong to the Funny Farm.

But let's forget about them. I will try to end this point in a lighther way:

In any forum, anywhere, you will find either:

Irritating, spoiled, overgrown infants who need more homework and perhaps some whacking  grin

Strange people who somehow remanied trapped in medieval Transilvania, i.e. they probably still believe they're werewolves, so they are subject to the changes in the moon!  shocked

Ileke-IdI:

I was not planning on grilling you on the specifics of your medicinal tradition. If you know the basics of your culture and some few explanations, it would be of great help.  A lil on the mythology side too.
But if you dont know it, dont worry.
Ha!! Of course I'll consult other sources. I doubt that I can use Alco as a primary/secondary source in my citation.

Since the fall of the Roman Empire, the Italian peninsula remained separated into several kingdoms, city-states or republics, caliphates, etc. for 13 centuries until 1861.
Present day Italy is the heir to their diverse histories, traditions and cultures. Nevertheless, I'll try to do my best:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Italy

For specific regional folklores, cultures, medical practices (past/present), please help me a bit by telling me about any particular region you might be interested in, since the 20 regions have their own folklore and traditions.

Ancient Rome is the heir of Hellenistic Greece. The Romans basically kept a continuum of Greek culture. The most important Roman contribution to Humanity is Law. Any way, here are some links that might interest you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Rome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_in_ancient_Rome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_mythology

Neeless to say, specific books will provide more relevant information than any encyclopedia.

Plese ask any questions you might have.

Ileke-IdI:

LOL! Funny you.  grin
LOL very funny you.
You are relevant.
Thank you.
Plz do.

Oh thank you very much cheesy. I'm relevant to my family and friends, I hope. And that's enough.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 1:49am On Jan 21, 2011
I see that you now know how to quote lol

Alcofrybas:

Homo sapiens?. Not really.   cry. Sadly, even in the 21st century, there are several sick and insane people who enjoy hurting others, or feel compelled to do so, for several reasons that are better known by Psychiatrists. They all belong to the Funny Farm.

But let's forget about them. I will try to end this point in a lighther way:

In any forum, anywhere, you will find either:

Irritating, spoiled, overgrown infants who need more homework and perhaps some whacking  grin

Strange people who somehow remained trapped in medieval Transylvania, i.e. they probably still believe they're werewolves, so they are subject to the changes in the moon!  shocked

Ahaha, so you got my lil joke. . . . I was specifically talking about the male race too.

@the bolded, I havent heard of such group of people in today's times, although there might still be people (i.e Africans) stuck in savagery (cultural evolution stage). But how do we determine what is savagery and what is civilized without being subjective? And what defines "strange"?

Alcofrybas:

Since the fall of the Roman Empire, the Italian peninsula remained separated into several kingdoms, city-states or republics, caliphates, etc. for 13 centuries until 1861.
Present day Italy is the heir to their diverse histories, traditions and cultures. Nevertheless, I'll try to do my best:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Italy

For specific regional folklores, cultures, medical practices (past/present), please help me a bit by telling me about any particular region you might be interested in, since the 20 regions have their own folklore and traditions.

Ancient Rome is the heir of Hellenistic Greece. The Romans basically kept a continuum of Greek culture. The most important Roman contribution to Humanity is Law. Any way, here are some links that might interest you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Rome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_in_ancient_Rome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_mythology

Neeless to say, specific books will provide more relevant information than any encyclopedia.

Plese ask any questions you might have.

Future advise, never try to use wikipedia as a source in your citation. . . . heehehe grin. I knew you didnt like me, trying to fail me like that.

Anywaz, Seems like my prof is trying to give me a hard timewith this paper, I've had to switch the topic again; to one of Nigeria's (tribe) culture. Something about it being histry and not ethno, Roll eyez.
Still doesnt mean I cant learn a few things from you. You should, when you have time, make a thread about your culture. This section is not just about Nigerians. It's getting boring just seeing the same types of thread everyday.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by NegroNtns(m): 7:05pm On Jan 21, 2011
Good job Ileke-Idi! wink Keep it up and you will earn more beads to add to your waist. grin

oh by the way, . . .give us the meaning of ileke-idi and why women wear it.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by amor4ce(m): 10:27pm On Jan 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So I missed your reply, hope you're still on NL grin

Ewo o n je "Ela"? Omo ibo ni e? It might depend on where you hail from.

I'm still very much around, just having to deal with a slow connection (commenting on facebook is even faster than on nairaland). Perhaps we should let my question go because it seems I have a somewhat deeper knowledge of our culture. Still surprised that you haven't heard/read of "Ela".

By the way, I'm from Ijebu but can't yet speak our mother tongue.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 1:09am On Jan 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I see that you now know how to quote lol

Thanks for the advise cheesy. I already knew. I just needed to copy and paste some of the earlier posts that are not visible in the "Topic Summary" section. grin

Ileke-IdI:

Ahaha, so you got my lil joke. . . . I was specifically talking about the male race too.
, And what defines "strange"?

Exactly grin. I am male, and I have a hard time to understand those men who make fun out of women just because, in every month, females have to deal with physiological changes caused by the constitution of their organs.

On the other hand, some males, who do not have to deal with such physiological changes, are world class rude abusers, on the Internet and in real life. They're "strange", because they do not make any effort to control themselves, and even have the nerve to ask you to understand them, with that typical trite phrase: "I'm sorry, but you know, that's how I am". Strange is perhaps too mild a word. They should be sent back all the way to Kindergarten.
Some women also abuse people, but in lesser numbers, I believe. They also belong to Kindergarten.

Ileke-IdI:

@the bolded, I havent heard of such group of people in today's times, although there might still be people (i.e Africans) stuck in savagery (cultural evolution stage). But how do we determine what is savagery and what is civilized without being subjective?

Those are very good questions, and certainly I am very limited, and imperfect. So I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

First, Let's separate myth from facts.

Werewolves are formally known as lycanthropes. Lycantrhipy is one of the many rituals, commonly referred to as mystery cults, that were misunderstood for centuries. Now that we live in modern times, these cults have been the subject of serious academic studies, and they have nothing to do with those b-horror flicks. Let's get rid of transformation, stalking and ambush, silver bullets, etc.

I've read a fantastic book called "Ecstasies: Deciphering the witches'sabbath" by the Italian scholar Carlo Ginzgurg. They are diverse ancient rites that have striking similarities through all Eurasia!. Their purpose: To propitiate successful harvests or hunts, to protect cattle, and to protect the household and children from evil spirits. Werewolves were nothing more than men who wore a wolf skin, as part of a ritual that basically consist in chasing away cattle predators, it my memory serves me well. They were basically protection rites, in which harm was done to no one.

It was first published in 1989, and it probably did not cover Africa because the author did not have sufficient information, about ancient African rites, but I'm sure that they have the same purpose and are equally innocuous. I read the book a few years ago, so I'm probably misquoting the author, unwillingly, of course.

What is savage?.
Without the shadow of a doubt, Hitler and Stalin, monster butchers who killed and inflicted unspeakable pain to millions, including their fellow countrymen, and who force fed their deranged insanity into their subjects (what is known as "indoctrination"wink. Italians had their own monster, Mussolini, who is loather by every living Italian.
Enough with nefarious characters.

What is civilized?.
Law abiding.
Honesty.
Hard work.
Responsibility to your family.
Respect to your family, friends and neighbors, and fellow citizens (all of them).

I would also like to add promotion of cultural exchange, because it's very useful for peaceful relations between groups of different backgrounds.

I this aspect, artists win hands down. Peter Gabriel, from England, and Paul Simon, from North America, have been recording and/or touring with African, South American and Asian artists for decades.

Grammy award winning artist Yossou n'Dour from Senegal also deserves a good deal of credit in this aspect.

Let's not forget Myriam Makeba, Hugh Masekela, Savuka. Fela Kuti, King Sunny Ade, Prince Nico Mbarga (beautiful guitar plucking!).

Some might not like their music, but it's their miss grin
Ileke-IdI:

Future advise, never try to use wikipedia as a source in your citation. . . . heehehe grin. I knew you didnt like me, trying to fail me like that.

Anywaz, Seems like my prof is trying to give me a hard timewith this paper, I've had to switch the topic again; to one of Nigeria's (tribe) culture. Something about it being histry and not ethno, Roll eyez.
Still doesnt mean I cant learn a few things from you. You should, when you have time, make a thread about your culture. This section is not just about Nigerians. It's getting boring just seeing the same types of thread everyday.

@ first bolded quote: grin Yes every encyclopedia is limited, and No, You're very cool and I did not want you to fail in anything grin I know you're joking.

@ second bolded quote: I don't know if a Foreigner can post a subject about his culture in this site grin. But I'll be glad to lend you a hand on your posts. smiley
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 22, 2011
Alco, I'm suspecting you. . . . you sound very Nigerian to me lol ( I'm still deciding if that's a complement cuz our naija men are. . . hmm, how do I define psychotic? jk jk)

Exactly grin. I am male, and I have a hard time to understand those men who make fun out of women just because, in every month, females have to deal with physiological changes caused by the constitution of their organs.

On the other hand, some males, who do not have to deal with such physiological changes, are world class rude abusers, on the Internet and in real life. They're "strange", because they do not make any effort to control themselves, and even have the nerve to ask you to understand them, with that typical trite phrase: "I'm sorry, but you know, that's how I am". Strange is perhaps too mild a word. They should be sent back all the way to Kindergarten.
Some women also abuse people, but in lesser numbers, I believe. They also belong to Kindergarten.

Lol you amaze me. brilliantly written. cool
But I'd have to correct you on one note, what do you mean by physiological changes? Are we talking about hormonal changes during menstrual period? Does the world not know that men also go through hormonal changes?
This world has a way of categorizing women in order to restrict their rights . . . . let's not discuss those rights right now lol

Werewolves are formally known as lycanthropes. Lycantrhipy is one of the many rituals, commonly referred to as mystery cults, that were misunderstood for centuries. Now that we live in modern times, these cults have been the subject of serious academic studies, and they have nothing to do with those b-horror flicks. Let's get rid of transformation, stalking and ambush, silver bullets, etc.

I've read a fantastic book called "Ecstasies: Deciphering the witches'sabbath" by the Italian scholar Carlo Ginzgurg. They are diverse ancient rites that have[b] striking similarities through all Eurasia!. Their purpose: To propitiate successful harvests or hunts, to protect cattle, and to protect the household and children from evil spirits. Werewolves were nothing more than men who wore a wolf skin, as part of a ritual that basically consist in chasing away cattle predators, it my memory serves me well. They were basically protection rites, in which harm was done to no one.[/b]

It was first published in 1989, and it probably did not cover Africa because the author did not have sufficient information, about ancient African rites, but I'm sure that they have the same purpose and are equally innocuous. I read the book a few years ago, so I'm probably misquoting the author, unwillingly, of course.

hahaha, that's funny, but very smart. Wear wolfskin to chase away cattle herders. Are you serious? That's interesting.

Checks this link for definition: http://www.lycanthropes.org/

Why do they sound like [b]a [/b]cultural makeup/ belief to me. Just like Benin's Zamgbeto.

What is savage?.
Without the shadow of a doubt, Hitler and Stalin, monster butchers who killed and inflicted unspeakable pain to millions, including their fellow countrymen, and who force fed their deranged insanity into their subjects (what is known as "indoctrination"wink. Italians had their own monster, Mussolini, who is loather by every living Italian.
Enough with nefarious characters.

What is civilized?.
Law abiding.
Honesty.
Hard work.
Responsibility to your family.
Respect to your family, friends and neighbors, and fellow citizens (all of them).

I would also like to add promotion of cultural exchange, because it's very useful for peaceful relations between groups of different backgrounds.

I this aspect, artists win hands down. Peter Gabriel, from England, and Paul Simon, from North America, have been recording and/or touring with African, South American and Asian artists for decades.

Grammy award winning artist Yossou n'Dour from Senegal also deserves a good deal of credit in this aspect.

Let's not forget Myriam Makeba, Hugh Masekela, Savuka. Fela Kuti, King Sunny Ade, Prince Nico Mbarga (beautiful guitar plucking!).

I see your point.

However, these are all very subjective. When Lewis Morgan theorized the starting and ending point (Savagery- barbarism-civilized) of culture, it was done through the subjective view point. Anthropology is very humanistic (and sometimes scientific), so most of these anthropological findings just exist within the mind. There is no quantitative method of determine what is civilized and what is savagery. Just because you're an industrialized country only makes you civilized in your own eyes, because other people might see your culture as savage (air polluting, global warming, etc).

What makes a "civilize" world think a "savage" world does not follow a certain law by a certain leader?

Some might not like their music, but it's their miss grin
LOL Oh you you cheesy
What if I say I dont like their music? tongue

@ second bolded quote: I don't know if a Foreigner can post a subject about his culture in this site grin. But I'll be glad to lend you a hand on your posts. smiley

Of course you can. Lol dont insult us by saying we dont welcome foreigners. I'd def enjoy any cultural threads you make.

And I thank you for lending a hand. smiley

Negro_Ntns:

Good job Ileke-Idi! wink Keep it up and you will earn more beads to add to your waist. grin

oh by the way, . . .give us the meaning of ileke-idi and why women wear it.

hehehe, bad boy. I'll get right to it, asap!! wink
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 12:55am On Jan 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Alco, I'm suspecting you. . . . you sound very Nigerian to me lol ( I'm still deciding if that's a complement cuz our naija men are. . . hmm, how do I define psychotic? jk jk)

No. I'm a non-nigerian. I'm just myself. grin

Ileke-IdI:

Lol you amaze me. brilliantly written. cool
But I'd have to correct you on one note, what do you mean by physiological changes? Are we talking about hormonal changes during menstrual period? Does the world not know that men also go through hormonal changes?
This world has a way of categorizing women in order to restrict their rights . . . . let's not discuss those rights right now lol

Okay, I'm not and expert in this subject, but I agree with you that the world has an unsavoury way of categorizing women. I don't know about hormonal changes in men, but I doubt that we have to deal with problems similar to hormonal changes during PMS, or after giving birth. It's no secret that they're more or less unpleasant (depending on the particular female). So, making fun out of women in their unpleasant moments it's just plain cheap, vulgar and silly "humor".

Ileke-IdI:

hahaha, that's funny, but very smart. Wear wolfskin to chase away cattle herders. Are you serious? That's interesting.

Checks this link for definition: http://www.lycanthropes.org/

Why do they sound like a cultural makeup/ belief to me. Just like Benin's Zamgbeto.

Yes I'm serious. As I said before, I've read the book some years ago, so I might be misquoting the author, unwillingly, of course. But believe me, besides being a top notch scholar, Mr. Ginzburg writes beautifully well. When you have some free time, I advise you to go and buy a copy of this particular book. It is very interesting indeed.

@bolded quote:

Could you please be more specific in this question?. I think I'm lost. grin

Ileke-IdI:

I see your point.

However, these are all very subjective. When Lewis Morgan theorized the starting and ending point (Savagery- barbarism-civilized) of culture, it was done through the subjective view point. Anthropology is very humanistic (and sometimes scientific),  so most of these anthropological findings just exist within the mind. There is no quantitative method of determine what is civilized and what is savagery.  Just because you're an industrialized country only makes you civilized in your own eyes, because other people might see your culture as savage (air polluting, global warming, etc).

What makes a "civilize" world think a "savage" world does not follow a certain law by a certain leader?

There are many ways to tackle this subject. I'm trying to address it from the "philosophical" point of view.

First of all, industrialized countries are industrialized countries. If some people in those countries judge third world nations on the basis of industrial development standards, they're just comparing apples with oranges!. Besides, industrialized countries also have their own wayward savage monsters (cruel murderes, rapists, child abusers, etc.)

Leaving aside quality education, strong economies and plenty of labor opportunities, in my opinion, these countries fare well because they have very strict laws, and very effective law enforcement mechanisms.

I know that this is very subjective, but for me, Savagery is the inhumane abuse of tyrants/persons in powerful positions/strong nations, inflicted upon fellow subjects/weak nations. And if this abuse produces pleasure in the abusers ,   Well, I think I'll keep it all to myself. I don't want to annoy the moderator.

From this point of view, the atrocities commited by European colonialists in Africa, America and Asia are undeniable examples of complete savagery. The details are too well known to be mentioned here. These atrocities have been openly addressed by European intellectuals since the 18th century, when the French Enlightenment was at its full blossom. I'll soon begin to read a book on this subject, called "A history of the Two Indies". It's a selection of very polemical writings by Abbot Guillaume Raynal, with substantial but uncredited contrubutions by French Enlightenment hero Denis Diderot.

Ileke-IdI:

LOL Oh you you cheesy
What if I say I dont like their music? tongue

I suppose you enjoy Kind Sunny Ade's music, at least. Don't you?. You're perfectly free to dislike the rest.  grin

Ileke-IdI:

Of course you can. Lol dont insult us by saying we dont welcome foreigners. I'd def enjoy any cultural threads you make.
And I thank you for lending a hand. smiley

Oh, sorry.  embarassed I didn't mean to insult or offed anybody. I' give it a try.

@bolded quote

You're welcome. Please tell me where to start.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 24, 2011
^^^ Hey friend, I've been very busy. I'll analyse your post when am done with this assignments.
Hope your weekend was [b]ALSO [/b]fabulous  cheesy
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 12:02am On Jan 25, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Hey friend, I've been very busy. I'll analyse your post when am done with this assignments.
Hope your weekend was [b]ALSO [/b]fabulous  cheesy

Hello Ileke-IdI. I'm glad you had a fabulous weekend. Mine was "not too bad" grin
Take your time. Do whatever you have to do.

P.S. Would you please tell me the meaning of your nick?. It's intriguing.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 3:07am On Jan 25, 2011
Ileke-Idi translates to "waist beads" (Yoruba). It's a cultural thing.
In my village, we used to adorn them for a celebratory dance. When I was small, I use to wear them all the time tho, still cant figure out the cultural significance.

None of the pics below are mines lol

They're very beautiful around the waist, and some wear them to seduce or flatter their flat belly. All in all, I like them lol

P.S I'll still go over your previous post, I have being suffocated with so much work.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by NegroNtns(m): 4:25pm On Jan 25, 2011
Ileke, is that you in the pix?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by totorimi: 4:54pm On Jan 25, 2011
Yoruba ladies are soooo beautiful and they are sexy. They are respectful and they can help their husbands to succeed. They are romantic and sweet in bed. They can make a home sweet but i am afraid of them more than anything else. To kill a human being or make a man mad is the easiest thing in they can do. Won ma so oluwa e di were ni, and after that they will be going to owambe party not minding the person they have put in sorrow. To marry a yoruba babe you must be ready to play the fool if you dont want to end up where you did not expect.
Ibo girls are safer for me
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 11:29pm On Jan 25, 2011
Uhmm ,  I'm lost. 

I'm not an expert on the subject, but 2 + 2 = 4. So it's safe to saythat it takes millions of good Yoruba women to build a nation of 90 million  wink.

And they're beautiful women, too. Seriously. Their boyfriends/husbands are lucky.  wink

I'll go back to post # 14 (it's nowhere to be found in the topic summary section). Ileke-IdI, I agree with you, and I would even add that "dancing" the bride down the aisle should be compulsory  grin. Don't you agree?.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 12:17am On Jan 26, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Uhmm ,  I'm lost. 

I'm not an expert on the subject, but 2 + 2 = 4. So it's safe to saythat it takes millions of good Yoruba women to build a nation of 90 million  wink.

And they're beautiful women, too. Seriously. Their boyfriends/husbands are lucky.  wink

I'll go back to post # 14 (it's nowhere to be found in the topic summary section). Ileke-IdI, I agree with you, and I would even add that "dancing" the bride down the aisle should be compulsory  grin. Don't you agree?.
wink

Dont worry my dear, some ppl are just simply afraid of Yoruba women. . . . OASN, you have to have spine and balls to handle us grin

Oh I agree, I def plan to shake what my mama gave me down the aisle grin grin

Ok, seriously, who are you? My suspicion antenna is shaking.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 3:09am On Jan 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

wink

Dont worry my dear, some ppl are just simply afraid of Yoruba women. . . . OASN, you have to have spine and balls to handle us grin

Hello again. Sorry, but would you please translate the meaning of OASN?. Please remember that I am almost illiterate in "Internet" English grin. ¿Spine and "midlands" to handle Yoruba Women?. Please be a bit more specific if possible grin .

Ileke-IdI:

wink
Oh I agree, I def plan to shake what my mama gave me down the aisle grin grin

The difference between both groups ins notable. In the first everybody is happy and involved.

I couldn't help notice that in the second group there were two women with smart phones in their hand, one of them looking at it, instead of watching her steps. Accidents happen, you know?.

It happens here in South America too!. Some people would not let go of that gadget. Everybody is free to become a smart phone addict. But while walking the bride, while dining, while you're at a party or simply while you're in the toilet!?. shocked

Ileke-IdI:

wink
Ok, seriously, who are you? My suspicion antenna is shaking.

Seriously, no need to suspect. And I will write a trilingual message to calm down your suspicious antenna (No I'm not getting any help grin).

Italiano (Italian): Il mio Italiano é pessimo, perció scrivo in Spagnolo ed in Inglese.

English: My Italian is terrible, so I'll write in Spanish and in English.

Castellano (Spanish):
Ileke-IdI: por favor dime, ¿por qué sospechas que no soy Italo-Sudamericano?. Solo quería darle una pequeñita ayuda a una amiga en este forum. Además, reitero mi oferta: si necesitas garras o colmillos extras, sacaré al jaguar en mi grin.

English:
Ileke-IdI: please tell, why do you suspect I'm not Italian-South American?. I only wanted to give a little help to a friend in this forum. Additionally, I reiterate my offer: if you need extra claws or fangs, I'll bring out the jaguar in me grin.

Please note that I used the word "Castellano" (Castillian) instead of Español (Spanish), because modern Spanish is the evolution of Castillan, an old dialect from Latin spoken in the Spanish region of Castille. In Spain, Spanish is sill called "Castillian".

Pleas ask any questions and "Alco" will ask them gladly cheesy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hausa Durbar In Pictures / Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson / Ooni Of Ife Names His Newborn Prince Adesoji Aderemi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.