Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,950 members, 7,814,219 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! (38507 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 12:37am On Jan 27, 2011
OK, Ileke-IdI, seriously, I am everything I told you:
Male, Born and raised in South America, from Italian parents; I'm a bookworm, and a learning guitarist/percussionist who's still in the practices and exercises phase. And of course, as a learning percussionist, I've been impressed by the traditional dances and percussion of Ghana, French Guinea, Senegal and Yorubaland.

I'm not alone in this. There are people from the Western World (musicians/musicologists) who:
- Visit Africa to make documentaries about traditional African Folklores.
- Invest in Africa in order to Export African Made drums Worldwide and/or to establish schools to teach and preserve traditional African folklores.

Of all the Nigerian percussion instruments that I mentioned in my thread, the only non-Yoruba Item is the Udu drums, which are found in traditional Igbo music.

I gave you a little help in dispelling myths about Yoruba women, because I hate women bashing. I would do the same with any woman in the forum. By the way, my compliments to Yoruba women were sincere. Seriously.

I am greatly interested in African traditions. I like your threads. There are many nice threads in this forum, but you've been the only (very) nice cool person who's been willing to chat with me (perhaps the rest are a too shy).

I brought back the subject of "dancing the bride down the aisle":

- Because I' afraid I've completely derailed this thread and I wanted to bring the focus back on Yoruba traditions embarassed
- Because I think it's a lovely tradition.
- In the second photograph (where nobody's dancing), I could help notice that there where two women with smart phones in their hands. One of them is "texting while walking", and accidents might happen when you do that.

I've seen this "phenomenom" in Latin America and, perhaps, everywhere. Some people would not let go of the smart phones:

- Even when they're having dinner in a restaurant angry.
- Even when they're at a a party angry.
- Even when you're talking to them (they assure that they're listening to you, but it doubt it) angry.
- Or even when they're going to the toilet shocked!.

Yes, smart phones are useful work tools, but some people really exaggerate with their "chatting" grin. How much can these people "chat"?!. I's there that much to say, all day (and night) long?. shocked

O.K. Now, I can make some contributions to this thread by posting links of traditional dances and percussion, because the only aspect I'm familiar with. I'm not Yoruba, I'm not Nigerian, and I really have no idea about your languages and traditions grin.
That's why I'm here cheesy. I'm interested in learning smiley.

P.S.: Please tell me the meaning of "OASN". I'm "equally fluent" in Yoruba and "Internet English" grin.
Lots of Spine and "midlands" to handle Yoruba women?. Please be a bit more specific, if possible grin.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by NegroNtns(m): 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ileke,

you got Alco hooked with those beaded waist visuals. The dude is confessing. grin
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by dayokanu(m): 9:24pm On Jan 27, 2011
hmmm
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Ileke,

you got Alco hooked with those beaded waist visuals. The dude is confessing. grin

dayokanu:

hmmm

And plz dont mind these two. They're my grandpa(s). They still think in that traditional way that if a dude looks your way, he's dying to pay the bride price. Word of advice, dont ever say "rice" in my face, or else they'll be forcing you to marry their daughter.

@Alcofrybas

Your I.D is kinda strange. Do you care to give me an explanation?

Male, Born and raised in South America, from Italian parents; I'm a bookworm, and a learning guitarist/percussionist who's still in the practices and exercises phase. And of course, as a learning percussionist, I've been impressed by the traditional dances and percussion of Ghana, French Guinea, Senegal and Yorubaland.

Cool. Same here. Not bookworm tho. If I had the choice, I'd prefer hands-on experiments and primary source than reading about some facts/figures.

I used to play the clarinet here, and think I can still play it. My fave piece of all time was the "Starwars" song theme that I had to play for an exam. Best ever!

And what do you know about the Yoruba dance? Ever been to a Yoruba ceremony where they danced? I mean real cultural dance, not those party ones tho. You would love it!!!
The tight thing about the Yoruba dance is that each state (dialect) seems to have their own dance/song, called Ijo Ibile. I tried looking for some on Youtube, but the ones I found were just college student dance and wasnt much clear. The next time I go to Nigeria, I am so equipping myself with cameras, video cam and the best gadgets to capture my people in their best!!!

I'm not alone in this. There are people from the Western World (musicians/musicologists) who:
- Invest in Africa in order to Export African Made drums Worldwide and/or to establish schools to teach and preserve traditional African folklores.
Ever visited Africa?

Unfortunately I prefer it if the western world does not interfere in "preserving" the wonderful and beautiful nature of Africa. The West usually sabotage every land they touch. Sometimes, it's done unintentionally. The thing is, no matter how isolated a people is, but once an outside force breaks the shield and enters , one of them (either the origin of the land or the "outsider"wink is going to have to conform to the others culture. And it's usually the people of the origin. Westerners and their mentality that Africa is savage just because each person is not armed with a cancer-induced cell phone.

I brought back the subject of "dancing the bride down the aisle":

- Because I' afraid I've completely derailed this thread and I wanted to bring the focus back on Yoruba traditions embarassed
- Because I think it's a lovely tradition.
- In the second photograph (where nobody's dancing), I could help notice that there where two women with smart phones in their hands. One of them is "texting while walking", and accidents might happen when you do that.

awww how sweet of you. thank you.

LOL You and your observation. Now you know that you just mentioned that to stay on topic grin
And yes, it might have caused an accident embarassed

Yes, smart phones are useful work tools, but some people really exaggerate with their "chatting" grin. How much can these people "chat"?!. I's there that much to say, all day (and night) long?. shocked

hehehe, ok grandpa. tongue
And yes, there is really much to say in a day. My cell phone is allows on and I always text on it.
Dont you just hate it when someone sends you one of those FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD messages which has been passed between 20 people. You open it and what appears is a useless image of Gawd knows what. angry

O.K. Now, I can make some contributions to this thread by posting links of traditional dances and percussion, because the only aspect I'm familiar with. I'm not Yoruba, I'm not Nigerian, and I really have no idea about your languages and traditions Grin.
That's why I'm here Cheesy. I'm interested in learning

cool, ok we will discuss. Tell me something you find odd about what you currently know about the Yoruba culture. If you're sincere with your questions, I wont take them as an insult. Just be very professional with them as you've been doing in your previous posts.

P.S.: Please tell me the meaning of "OASN". I'm "equally fluent" in Yoruba and "Internet English" Grin.
Lots of Spine and "midlands" to handle Yoruba women?. Please be a bit more specific, if possible

OASN ===> On A serious note.

Dont worry about the latter lol. I was just addressing that one boy who said Yoruba men were hard to handle. Yoruba women have back bone and they don't take nonsense from their men. In every group of people, there is always going to be an exceptional tho.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Freesia(f): 2:30pm On Jan 28, 2011
Alcofrybas:

OK, Ileke-IdI, seriously, I am everything I told you:

I'm always amazed about these Europeans who research our African culture to the core ,what remains puzzling to me is when they start doing things we have done for donkey years and  suddenly what they do gets recognition??I'm sure deep down there is some admiration of our culture but they are in denial about these.

I'm glad that even though our great ancestors couldn't read or write their stories have reached us by been passed to us from generation to generation.
Kudos to you Miss Ileke-IdI  for this thread with my little Yoruba which I have learned from a sister from another mother I say E se
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by amor4ce(m): 11:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
Another request Ileke-Idi

Do you know anything about the origins of circumcision and naming ceremonies?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 12:08am On Jan 29, 2011
Hi, Ileke-IdI. I will reply to your post , tomorrow. I've had a busy week and I'm a bit tired. Have a nice weekend. smiley
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 2:19pm On Jan 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

@Alcofrybas
Your I.D is kinda strange. Do you care to give me an explanation?

Sure. "Alcofrybas Nasier" was the anagram under which the great french writer François Rabelais (1494-1553) published his polemical satires.

Ileke-IdI:

Cool. Same here. Not bookworm tho. If I had the choice, I'd prefer hands-on experiments and primary source than reading about some facts/figures.

I used to play the clarinet here, and think I can still play it. My fave piece of all time was the "Starwars" song theme that I had to play for an exam. Best ever!

Ileke-Idi, why don't you pick it up again?. It's a very beautiful and versatile instrument.

Ileke-IdI:

And what do you know about the Yoruba dance? Ever been to a Yoruba ceremony where they danced? I mean real cultural dance, not those party ones tho. You would love it!!!
The tight thing about the Yoruba dance is that each state (dialect) seems to have their own dance/song, called Ijo Ibile. I tried looking for some on Youtube, but the ones I found were just college student dance and wasnt much clear. The next time I go to Nigeria, I am so equipping myself with cameras, video cam and the best gadgets to capture my people in their best!!!

Unfortunately, the only Yoruba dances I've seen are:
The dances at a King Sunny Ade concert (unbelievable!).
The dances at a video made in the heart of Yorubaland, that I found in Youtube. It was done in 1971 by British drummer Ginger Baker, best known for his work with guitar hero Eric Clapton in the power trio "Cream" (1965-1968). Mr. Baker was making a documentary about the talking drum, and of course, the high moment comes when people from the village he visited gather to play drums and to dance.

Ileke-IdI:

Ever visited Africa?

No. I'd love to do so. The 2010 world cup would have been a wonderful chance, but I'm afraid most of the bookings were already done at 2006!.

Ileke-IdI:

Unfortunately I prefer it if the western world does not interfere in "preserving" the wonderful and beautiful nature of Africa. The West usually sabotage every land they touch. Sometimes, it's done unintentionally. The thing is, no matter how isolated a people is, but once an outside force breaks the shield and enters , one of them (either the origin of the land or the "outsider"wink is going to have to conform to the others culture. And it's usually the people of the origin. Westerners and their mentality that Africa is savage just because each person is not armed with a cancer-induced cell phone.

Freesia:

I'm always amazed about these Europeans who research our African culture to the core ,what remains puzzling to me is when they start doing things we have done for donkey years and  suddenly what they do gets recognition??I'm sure deep down there is some admiration of our culture but they are in denial about these.

I'm glad that even though our great ancestors couldn't read or write their stories have reached us by been passed to us from generation to generation.
Kudos to you Miss Ileke-IdI  for this thread with my little Yoruba which I have learned from a sister from another mother I say E se

The people I'm referring to are very serious people. They learned how to play drums with African teachers in their homelands. They're very much aware that Africans have performed the flolklore they're trying to preserve for centuries, and when they talk about preserving it, they mean it. That's why they leave the teaching part to African percussionists and dancers. By the way, they post videos of these performers in Youtube. They also exclusively employ African luthiers for the percussion instruments they make and sell. Needless to say, these instruments conform to African tradition. The role of these particular westerners is basically to buy a large enough house, turn it into a hotel/school, manage it, and serve as "liaison" between Foreign students and Africans They also invite their students to watch traditional festivals, which they also film and post in Youtube. I would rather leave it at that.

Ileke-IdI:

awww how sweet of you. thank you.

Oh you're welcome cheesy.

Ileke-IdI:

LOL You and your observation. Now you know that you just mentioned that to stay on topic  grin
And yes, it might have caused an accident  embarassed

hehehe, ok grandpatongue
And yes, there is really much to say in a day. My cell phone is allows on and I always text on it.
Dont you just hate it when someone sends you one of those FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD messages which has been passed between 20 people. You open it and what appears is a useless image of Gawd knows what.  angry

Grandpa?. Not at all.   tongue

Ileke-IdI:

cool, ok we will discuss. Tell me something you find odd about what you currently know about the Yoruba culture. If you're sincere with your questions, I wont take them as an insult. Just be very professional with them as you've been doing in your previous posts.

Ileke-Idi, you should know by now that I'm serious, respecftul an sincere.  smiley
I loathe people who, behind the safety of a nick, write all sort of unspeakable insults and other nonsencical utterances. angry

I've found some "real" videos in Youtube, shot in Yorubaland. All the performers are Yoruba. I'll post them if my antivirus program allows me to do so.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 30, 2011
By golly!! Didnt know you replied. . . . was actually waiting on you!
Howz your weekend so far, my friend? Hope you got t rest from your busy week smiley

Sure. "Alcofrybas Nasier" was the anagram under which the great french writer François Rabelais (1494-1553) published his polemical satires.
Interesting!! Shows how cultural you are.

Ileke-Idi, why don't you pick it up again?. It's a very beautiful and versatile instrument.
I prolly should. But then those musical ones are expensive!! resally!
You know, I should buy another one and start again. . . lol

Unfortunately, the only Yoruba dances I've seen are:
The dances at a King Sunny Ade concert (unbelievable!).
The dances at a video made in the heart of Yorubaland, that I found in Youtube. It was done in 1971 by British drummer Ginger Baker, best known for his work with guitar hero Eric Clapton in the power trio "Cream" (1965-1968). Mr. Baker was making a documentary about the talking drum, and of course, the high moment comes when people from the village he visited gather to play drums and to dance.

Oh really lol. Havent really been to one of those concerts. But I'm sure they're not deeply cultural. Those types of dance are usually altered to interest the non-yorubas undecided Cultural dance entails more shaking grin te he he!

No. I'd love to do so. The 2010 world cup would have been a wonderful chance, but I'm afraid most of the bookings were already done at 2006!.

Where in Africa do you want to visit? Dont say Nigeria because I'm Nigerian lol.

The people I'm referring to are very serious people. They learned how to play drums with African teachers in their homelands. They're very much aware that Africans have performed the flolklore they're trying to preserve for centuries, and when they talk about preserving it, they mean it. That's why they leave the teaching part to African percussionists and dancers. By the way, they post videos of these performers in Youtube. They also exclusively employ African luthiers for the percussion instruments they make and sell. Needless to say, these instruments conform to African tradition. The role of these particular westerners is basically to buy a large enough house, turn it into a hotel/school, manage it, and serve as "liaison" between Foreign students and Africans They also invite their students to watch traditional festivals, which they also film and post in Youtube. I would rather leave it at that.

I. do. not. trust. foreign (esp Americans/Europeans). settlers. in. my. land. (excludes you, ofcourse)

So no.

Ileke-Idi, you should know by now that I'm serious, respecftul an sincere. Smiley
I loathe people who, behind the safety of a nick, write all sort of unspeakable insults and other nonsencical utterances. Angry

I've found some "real" videos in Youtube, shot in Yorubaland. All the performers are Yoruba. I'll post them if my antivirus program allows me to do so.

Ok. No Prob.

Post the link of the video and I'll embed the video on NL for you. I'll so love to see those videos too.

amor4ce:

Another request Ileke-Idi

Do you know anything about the origins of circumcision and naming ceremonies?

Ohh so you're now back to me after the previous insult. Which cut like a knife, btw.
I'll see what I can post about it.

Freesia:

No problem, my sister.
Are you Nigerian? Why [i]little [/i]Yoruba?

@Alco

I often wonder, why do Westerners come into Africa to make big discoveries? Why do you think we Africans cannot make the discoveries on our own land?

It bugs me. Do you think the westerners are the ones that [i]actually [/i]make the discoveries?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 1:16pm On Jan 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I. do. not. trust. foreign (esp Americans/Europeans). settlers. in. my. land. (excludes you, of course)

Ileke-IdI:

@Alco

I often wonder, why do Westerners come into Africa to make big discoveries? Why do you think we Africans cannot make the discoveries on our own land?

It bugs me. Do you think the westerners are the ones that actually [/i]make the discoveries?

Ileke-Idi. I will get to the rest of your post soon, but I need to address these points right away.
Stop it with your Westerners vs Africans polemics.
[i]Why do you still feel that way after all the great people you had and have (Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Kofi Anan, just to name a few)?. Think of their examples. Do I have to remind you that they are universally admired role models that should be followed?

It's unbelievable!.
This "bugs" me, and frankly, I don't understand it.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 30, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Ileke-Idi. I will get to the rest of your post soon, but I need to address these points right away.
Stop it with your Westerners vs Africans polemics.
Why do you still feel that way after all the great people you had and have (Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Kofi Anan, just to name a few)?. Think of their examples. Do I have to remind you that they are universally admired role models that should be followed?
It's unbelievable!.
This "bugs" me, and frankly, I don't understand it.

I was speaking in terms of scientific and historical research, archeological/ anthropological discoveries etc etc.

Most of the discoveries accomplished were done by westerners on African soil. Can one say that the Africans themselves lead to some of the discoveries but the western man took the credit?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 8:33pm On Jan 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I was speaking in terms of scientific and historical research, archeological/ anthropological discoveries etc etc.

Most of the discoveries accomplished were done by westerners on African soil. Can one say that the Africans themselves lead to some of the discoveries but the western man took the credit?

This is a forum, and you're perfectly free to express your opinions.
You're not telling me anything new. There's no nation on earth that has not been a victim of "plagiarism" (for lack of a better term), not to mention invasion and looting.
But you're referring to things past, and the past is gone for good.
Please remember that:
- My parents and ancestors are/were, after all, Europeans.
- Americans delivered Western Europeans (my relatives included) from the Nazi nightmare.
I hope this explains my sympathies.
Why don't we just change the subject?.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 30, 2011
Alcofrybas:

This is a forum, and you're perfectly free to express your opinions.
You're not telling me anything new. There's no nation on earth that has not been a victim of "plagiarism" (for lack of a better term), not to mention invasion and looting.
But you're referring to things past, and the past is gone for good.
Please remember that:
- My parents and ancestors are/were, after all, Europeans.
- Americans delivered Western Europeans (my relatives included) from the Nazi nightmare.
I hope this explains my sympathies.
Why don't we just change the subject?.

You can't always run away from this forever. Eventually, I'm going to bring it up again.

But right now, we can change the subject.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by amor4ce(m): 11:40pm On Jan 30, 2011
Ohh so you're now back to me after the previous insult. Which cut like a knife, btw.
I'll see what I can post about it.
Haa, My sincere apologies. I didn't know you would take it as such. Me, insult you ke? When I had been trying not to fantasize about your waist ileke and associated gyration.

By the way, this South American dude has been taking all of your attention - envy. I even wanted to drag you back from that Akunyili thread.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 1:08am On Feb 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I was referring to other things you wrote, that I'll quote later.

Ileke-IdI:

You can't always run away from this forever. Eventually, I'm going to bring it up again.
But right now, we can change the subject.

Well, I don't run away from anything, and don't worry, I'll do the job for you.

1) Post # 82:

Ileke-IdI:

@the bolded, I havent heard of such group of people in today's times, although there might still be people (i.e Africans) stuck in savagery (cultural evolution stage). But how do we determine what is savagery and what is civilized without being subjective? And what defines "strange"?

Perfectly legitimate questions, although too broad for a short answer. I tried my best.

2) Post # 86:

Ileke-IdI:

I see your point.
However, these are all very subjective. When Lewis Morgan theorized the starting and ending point (Savagery- barbarism-civilized) of culture, it was done through the subjective view point. Anthropology is very humanistic (and sometimes scientific),  so most of these anthropological findings just exist within the mind. There is no quantitative method of determine what is civilized and what is savagery.  Just because you're an industrialized country only makes you civilized in your own eyes, because other people might see your culture as savage (air polluting, global warming, etc).
What makes a "civilize" world think a "savage" world does not follow a certain law by a certain leader?

Now wait a minute. The bolded quote is not anthropology, archeology, history or research. It's "something else".

3) Post # 99:

Ileke-IdI:

I was referring to folklore, music and traditional dances. Nevertheless, this "something else" is getting clearer, isn't it?. By the way, I find it a little disturbing.

4) Post # 100:

Freesia:

Freesia's words, but very similar in essence. This is completely false, Freesia. Those who truly admire your culture do it honestly and do not deny it. And by adding undue credit, you're mixing apples with oranges. By the way, "this" European happens to be a Latino of Italian ancestry.

5) Post # 104:

Ileke-IdI:

I. do. not. trust. foreign (esp Americans/Europeans). settlers. in. my. land. (excludes you, ofcourse)

But of course, this includes people that I love and/or admire very much. Now, this is not positive at all.

As I told you before, this is a forum. You're free to express what you think. I don't want to impose my views upon you. I don't even expect to change your mind at all. I'm simply tired of hearing the same stale rethoric over and over again.

Before this "South American Dude"(i.e. "me"wink leaves Nairaland.com for good, I would like to bring a positive conclusion to this exchange, by quoting great leaders who had/have far more credibility and wisdom than I do:

"I more fear what is within me than what comes from without".
"Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true.".
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968). May he rest in peace.

I'm sure the second quote does not apply to you, but it's a valuable lesson to remember.

"A person is a person because he recognizes others as persons".
Desmond Tutu (1931-).

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others".
"When you let your own light shine, you unconsciously give others permission to do the same".
Nelson Mandela (1918-)

Farewell and the best of luck to you.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 2:43am On Feb 01, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Farewell and the best of luck to you.

Dont tell me you're pissed because of my earlier observation. My apology embarassed

amor4ce:

Haa, My sincere apologies. I didn't know you would take it as such. Me, insult you ke? When I've been trying not to fantasize about your waist (_d_), ileke, and associated gyration, so as to avoid coming like Godwin Aboye the carpenter (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-590563.0.html).

By the way, this South American dude has been taking all of your attention - envy. I even wanted to drag you back from that Akunyili thread.
*raise eyebrow* Honey, I'm a married woman with 6 children, everything already went south. So no fantasy lol smiley

As for your earlier question, I'll get to it ASAP. School et all.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 3:26pm On Feb 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Dont tell me you're pissed because of my earlier observation. My apology embarassed

Apologies accepted, Ileke-IdI. A bit too late, but. We cannot agree in everything my friend, right?.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Alcofrybas(m): 3:56pm On Feb 05, 2011
My apologies to you embarassed.
I was too harsh about your opinions.
There are "other things" that you read, in any forum (including this one), that really deserve a harsh answer.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by NFemi(f): 7:30pm On Feb 05, 2011
Very beautiful photos. I live in the USA, and I am in a relationship w/ a Yoruba man (man of God). Any advice will be so appreciated! He has a passport and wants 2 live here, and get married here in the US. I have so many questions!
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by sasimalia(f): 6:41pm On May 18, 2011
I would love to read a sample Yoruba marriage proposal letter, anybody?
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by tpia5: 7:06pm On May 18, 2011
Hi i want to marry you. End of.

What are you looking for again.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by sasimalia(f): 8:38pm On May 18, 2011
tpia@ lol, wish it was that easy, wink
I'm actually talking about the marriage proposal letter that is written by the groom's family to the bride's family.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 21, 2011
This thread news to be refreshed.

Later this week, I promise. kiss
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by anonymous6(f): 12:40pm On Jun 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Yorùbá culture is also known as Orisa culture.

90 million people in Argentina, Benin Republic, Brazil, Cuba, France, Germany, Ghana, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, UK, USA, Venezuela, and other places, practice this culture.

I'll be posting what I know, so stay tuned to learn about one of the lovely and fabulous cultures/traditions of one of the largest group in Nigeria, situated in the SW part of Nigeria!

Nice thread ileki

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hausa Durbar In Pictures / Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson / Ooni Of Ife Names His Newborn Prince Adesoji Aderemi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.