Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. (13528 Views)

One Direction Member Liam Payne Buys 5.1mn Pounds Home / Onyeka Onwenu Song! / Hottest!9ice Is Engaged To Toni Payne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by kech(f): 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2010
Editor’s Note: Below is a fiery letter written by music legend, Onyeka Onwenu to the Editor of This Day Newspapers. Onwenu’s letter serves as a response to Azuka Ogujiuba’s article titled ‘A Blaze of Glory for 2Face’ (published on Saturday, October 30, 2010), whose content Onwenu believes is part of a personal attack on Toni Payne, entertainment publicist and  wife of musician, 9ice. Read the full letter below:

I have rarely made it my business to respond to newspaper articles, but when I do, you can be sure that I have been sorely provoked. You can also imagine that in nearly thirty years as an Entertainer, running the whole gamut of the industry as Singer/Songwriter, Actress, Broadcaster etc, I have had more than a fair share of unwarranted attacks. I have also witnessed others go through it, especially women. I have come to accept these attacks as some of the hazards of the job we do. There are people who are just jealous of others’ progress and who perhaps live vicariously, albeit with malicious intent, through the doings of those they envy. Some of these people happen to be journalists who by virtue of their profession, have the advantage of the pages of a newspaper or the air waves, as instruments of harassment and denigration.

That said, let me remind all, that I am a journalist and have unlimited respect for my profession and training. Nigerian journalists are among the best in the world and I am indeed proud to be one of them. Nigeria is a society which professes to respect women, but in practice we do not. Our tradition is to keep them down, relegate them to the background where they are best seen and not heard. When they manage to break through the glass ceiling, striving to be themselves and excelling against all odds, we celebrate them, quite alright, but with an undertone of fear for their “brazen”, “aggressive” and “uppity” disposition. And as soon as the slightest opportunity presents itself, we quickly pull them down. A journalist who never fails to disappoint in this regard is Mr Reuben Abati of the Guardian Editorial Board. On the issue of Nigeria’s First Ladies and their “Powers”, Abati’s language is almost always condescending and denigatory, to the extent that I am compelled to conclude that he harbours a deep resentment for women – for some reason. His last contribution to the Okirika Waterfront demolition debate and Her Excellency, Dame Jonathans’ expression of concern, earlier this year, comes readily to mind.

Quite a few journalists in the 80s and 90s made their names criticizing Onyeka Onwenu, mostly for no reason other than their wanting to be noticed. I refer to people like Azuka Jebosi and Ladi of Punch Newspapers, Mayor Akinpelu and Faj of the defunct Fame Magazine. At a point, Dele Momudu, God bless him, was moved to admonish Faj, who, not so subtly had tried to rubbish my CD “Onyeka” inspite of the fact that it was adjudged to be a brilliant outing in 1992. Mayor Akinpelu declared to all who cared to listen that he “could not stand Onyeka Onwenu” who according to him was indeed “finished”, as an Artiste. This was during the campaign for PMAN (Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria) Presidency, which pitted me against King Sunny Ade, in 1998. The Anti – Onyeka campaign continued with great intensity until I took a number of Entertainment Publications to court and won substantial amounts of money. These publications sought to damage my reputation. I was portrayed as a person of easy virtue, a love-peddler, a trouble maker and an unserious Artiste. Hard to believe, is it not? My crime was my audacity of purpose, outspokenness and insistence on being given my due respect. For displaying a modicum of self respect and restraint in my public conduct, I was labelled a snub, with the usual comment, “who does she think she is”. Well, I was never one to back down from a challenge and I gave as good as I got. I made no apologies and I continued to be myself – self assured, focused and dedicated to my work. In due course and grudgingly, these journalists had no choice but to begin to show respect and appreciation for my person and my work. In all these attacks, the most perplexing were the ones from a female journalist, the Queen of Junk, she was called, at the time. For some reason, she really had it in for me, other female Artistes and even fellow female journalists. I had taken enough courses in psychology in college to realize that the attacks were coming from a sense of inadequacy, in herself. When her career of bitterness and vendetta took a nose dive and she couldn’t compete in an era where journalism of personal attack had lost its lure, I concluded that I was right.

And that brings me to Azuka Ogujiuba and Toni Payne. Ms Toni Payne is my publicist and a young woman who impresses me with her zeal for work and excellent knowledge of the Nigerian Entertainment terrain with regards to what she does, which is publicism.  She is respectful and conducts herself with decorum. She handles assignments with a seriousness that belies her young age. Ever since I came in contact with her, for the publicity of my Legend CD early this year, I have not ceased to be amazed by her appetite for work and sincerity of purpose.
To watch her pummelled on Azuka’s Saturday This Day column, week after week, and unnecessarily, has been a torture for me. Ms Payne has laughed off these obvious attacks but I am not prepared to do so.
In her article “A Blaze of Glory for Tuface”, in discussing the issue of Tuface’s Baby mothers and the “danger they portend to his career (an issue I most definitely do not want to delve into), Azuka manages, as usual, to draw in Toni Payne, whom she describes as a “Groupie”. This is for marrying the Artiste 9ice, I suppose. Hear Azuka, “Toni Payne who conspicuously falls into this category because of her undying and unimaginable love to be called “Celebrity” has finally created the biggest Rift or ‘BEEF’ as they say in the Nigerian Entertainment scene. Azuka goes on and on, wondering how Toni Payne could live with herself. She ends the tirade with this: “Some even suggest that 9ice’s decision to end their marriage was a smart move”.
My dear Azuka, if you have a thing for 9ice, why don’t you go after him and leave Toni Payne alone. You have become too obvious and deliberate in your attacks. This is not journalism but vendetta, unprovoked, unwarranted and unbearable for those of us who pay money to buy This Day on Saturdays. Your Editor should now call you to order. Enough!

I had not intended to write this article. I had made a personal phone call to Ms Ogujiuba, to try and speak with her about her unrelenting attacks on Toni Payne. This is the conversation that ensued.

Me:        “Hello! May I please speak with Azuka Ogujiuba?”
Azuka:   Silence (there is some talking in the background).
Me:        “Hello, my name is Onyeka Onwenu. Am I speaking to Azuka?”
Azuka:   “Yes, what do you want?”
Me:       “You seem not to know me but I really would like to talk with you about Toni Payne and the fact that…”
Azuka:   Cuts in – “How did you even get my number?”
Me:        “Oh I see that you are intent on being rude. Well, I will write your Editor instead. I don’t do rude” I switched off.

My song “One Love” has a line which says “living in the world is a struggle just staying alive” and that is true, particularly for a young, professional woman in Nigeria. The last thing she needs is a misdirected, ambitious and envious journalist, trying to put her down, ostensibly, because of her marriage choice.
I am not interested in Toni Payne’s private life and it is not my place to defend her choices but I do take exception to a journalist attacking someone for no good reason, particularly a woman. Azuka Ogujiuba, get a life and leave Toni Payne alone to live hers.

God bless you.
Onyeka Onwenu (MFR)

Source:
http://ynaija.com/onyeka-onwenu-defends-toni-payne/
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by temmytanny(m): 4:08pm On Nov 03, 2010
i guess 9ice has paid him to do so. this 9ice career would soon finish if care isnt taken
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by ikamefa(f): 4:18pm On Nov 03, 2010
hummmmmmmmmmmm!

onyeka was prolly  referring to moji-damisa jemigbe  undecided Queen of junk? undecided

i guess this Azuka Ogujiuba is the perez hilton of naija

someone should find her and panel-beat her like the black-eyed peas did to perez "  grin "
'
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by googles: 4:24pm On Nov 03, 2010
Wow nice. . . I dont know why some pple get their undies tied up in a bunch wen they hear the name Toni payne

not like her ex-husband ever came out to confirm or deny the allegations but trust Nigerians, so quick to cast stones.

crying more than the aggrieved. All these wishy washy journalists should be sued for all they are worth
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by Coolabbie: 5:36pm On Nov 03, 2010
Azuka again? Dis her behaviour don dey become 2much. D oda tym she write nonsense about dbanj & now na toni.Na only she dey 4 thisday? Must u bring down oda people because u hv d avenue 2 do so? Who d hell is she anyway? Imagine her being rude 2 onyeka. I tire o
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by spikedcylinder: 5:57pm On Nov 03, 2010
Onyeka really shouldn't have gotten herself involved in this rubbish beef.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by mbulela: 11:45pm On Nov 03, 2010
I am not a fan of onyeka but i think she should have ignored this girl.
The girl is a glory hunter seeking for attention.
I wonder how these sorts are called journalists?
the standard has so falling that it is appalling.
This response will not achieve much but only serve her insatiable hunger for attention.
Her (Azuka) write up or articles are so unprofessional and do not warrant the attention of any serious person.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by olojoro: 11:49pm On Nov 03, 2010
"Nigerian Journalists are some of the best in the world. . . . " - Onyeka Onwenu

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by lizzybabe1(f): 1:41am On Nov 04, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Exactly! All these small kids will just start disrespecting her.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by oddy4real(m): 1:48am On Nov 04, 2010
kech:

I believe Onyeka should be using her precious time taking care of the multiple kids she had for different men, and leave 9ice and Toni Payne alone, maybe she wants Toni Payne to be like her too, having 5 kids for 5 different men grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by mamagee3(f): 1:50am On Nov 04, 2010
Onyeka Onwenu shouldn't have gotten involved in this issue.

Toni Payne doesn't have dignity and respect for herself in any way, shape and form, so anyone involved in her case is just like her.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by oddy4real(m): 2:00am On Nov 04, 2010
temmytanny:

i guess 9ice has paid him to do so. this 9ice career would soon finish if care isnt taken

Guy, your post is bereft of logic

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by leleri: 12:05pm On Nov 04, 2010
I believe Onyeka should be using her precious time taking care of the multiple kids she had for different men, and leave 9ice and Toni Payne alone, maybe she wants Toni Payne to be like her too, having 5 kids for 5 different men

how could you say dis to a wonderful lady like onyeka,i think you learn to respect your elders.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by Intrepid1(m): 12:07pm On Nov 04, 2010
Has she finished the money from GEJ already?
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:15pm On Nov 04, 2010
Intrepid!:

Has she finished the money from GEJ already?
the 100 million naira 4 a campaign song abi? grin
oddy4real:

I believe Onyeka should be using her precious time taking care of the multiple kids she had for different men, and leave 9ice and Toni Payne alone, maybe she wants Toni Payne to be like her too, having 5 kids for 5 different men grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
you mean onyeka was never married? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by mrofficial(m): 12:26pm On Nov 04, 2010
temmytanny:

You meant Rugged Man. 9ice is always delivering nice songs, so how career won take finish?

Listen to his new track: http://www.4shared.com/audio/tsUdmkdD/9ICE_-_SHAKASHIKY.html
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by spicyhoney(f): 12:34pm On Nov 04, 2010
Hmmmm, attention seeking Azuka
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by Intrepid1(m): 12:45pm On Nov 04, 2010
the 100 million naira 4 a campaign song abi? Grin

100 gini? E reach like that? Me I can sing too o! For that hopelessly wack song that they don't play again? Na wa o!
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by temmytanny(m): 1:06pm On Nov 04, 2010
mr.official:

You meant Rugged Man. 9ice is always delivering nice songs, so how career won take finish?

Listen to his new track: http://www.4shared.com/audio/tsUdmkdD/9ICE_-_SHAKASHIKY.html

did i hear you say 9ice songs? what is 9ice when u fight and abandoned all the people the people dat brought you to fame?

even the most successfull group in 9ja,platainshun boiz are back and kicking.

FYI,he has fought 2PHAT,PYNE,Ruggedman,ID cabasa i cant even continue cos they are much
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by okeyxyz(m): 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2010
well, dis is celebrity journalism. u put urself out there in public view, then u should expect to b talked about, some to ur liking & others not. u should b able to deal wit these stories as long as they report ur actions & inactions.
if u feel any is damaging & "FALSE", then go to court, clear ur name, put d transgressor to shame & collect ur pay. period! cool
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by eldee(m): 1:37pm On Nov 04, 2010
spikedcylinder:

The worst atrocities happen because people refuse to speak up.

It's cool when it's just Rugged Vs 9ice beef, but it goes to the extent that the press starts painting her black and forgetting that 9ice is just a coward . . . then someone has to speak up.
I never saw Toni Payne come out to say anything about 9ice, she's not come out to stir anything and she's the one that gets blamed. . . even after proof has come out that she didn't do anything.

I'm a fan of rap beef but let it stay as rap beef, we need to draw the line and the idiots in the 'press' need to get a real job. . . come on.
Nigeria should be more advanced than this.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by temmytanny(m): 1:39pm On Nov 04, 2010
i feel you ELDEE
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by waypavers: 1:50pm On Nov 04, 2010
eldee:

It's cool when it's just Rugged Vs 9ice beef, but it goes to the extent that the press starts painting her black and forgetting that 9ice is just a coward . . . then someone has to speak up.
I never saw Toni Payne come out to say anything about 9ice, she's not come out to stir anything and she's the one that gets blamed. . . even after proof has come out that she didn't do anything.

I'm a fan of rap beef but let it stay as rap beef, we need to draw the line and the idiots in the 'press' need to get a real job. . . come on.

In as much as I will like to respect your opinion, but i will like to say it's quite nonsensical and it is evident you have not been abreast with what has been going with this so called unwarranted beef. Quoting you "I never saw Toni payne come out to say anything about 9ice" . You never saw, you said, but u didn't find out if she did, and YES  she actually did, She threw her tantrums on twitter and in fact 9ice had been the silent one until of late. Never say 9ice is a coward, he was silent from the inception but Mr Ruggedy Apa a.k.a Loghead man rekindled this whole issue and Yeah, What the estranged 9ice's ex wife said on twitter was totally uncalled for ,  which Mr 9ice too had to reply to her tweets( I think He could just have remained silent actually or rather a 'sarcastic laugh' would have been a good idea).
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by googles: 1:52pm On Nov 04, 2010
oddy4real:

mama-gee:

Toni Payne doesn't have dignity and respect for herself in any way, shape and form, so anyone involved in her case is just like her.

undecided undecided undecided undecided

Like seriously ? how does this make you guys different from the said Azuka? just because shez fighting bad journalism you guys had

to attack her personality and personal life ? na wa for some pple sha.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by dayokanu(m): 2:00pm On Nov 04, 2010
eldee:

How is 9ice a coward? Someone who refused to discuss the affairs on a bugged phone line is now the coward?

I guess he would have been good in your books if he had come out and released their sex tapes
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by TeskyMan(m): 2:27pm On Nov 04, 2010
eldee:

@ eldee,

I wouldn't take that from you. What proof did you get? Where did you get your proof from? The only truthful proove you can get must come from either Toni or 9ce while both are sitted to explain issues, any other fact is just an earsay. Remember, they were once marriage and it's not as easy as we think. Let me tell you, both of them knows where it all went wrong and the two only can tell us what ensued.

I am not a fans of 9ce neither am i for Toni, obviously i love the former's lyrics.

I want to beg of you all, not to delve into a divorce marriage issue simply because we will unconsciously take side no matter how objective we may think we are.

My 2 cent.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by snoopy(m): 2:31pm On Nov 04, 2010
:d

Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by TeskyMan(m): 2:32pm On Nov 04, 2010
waypavers:

In as much as I will like to respect your opinion, but i will like to say it's quite nonsensical and it is evident you have not been abreast with what has been going with this so called unwarranted beef. Quoting you "I never saw Toni payne come out to say anything about 9ice" . You never saw, you said, but u didn't find out if she did, and YES  she actually did, She threw her tantrums on twitter and in fact 9ice had been the silent one until of late. Never say 9ice is a coward, he was silent from the inception but Mr Ruggedy Apa a.k.a Loghead man rekindled this whole issue and Yeah, What the estranged 9ice's ex wife said on twitter was totally uncalled for ,  which Mr 9ice too had to reply to her tweets( I think He could just have remained silent actually or rather a 'sarcastic laugh' would have been a good idea).

Well, i think we shouldn't personalize issues of such. All i know is that 9ce has been keeping quite all the while.

Off I go.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by IyaBasira: 2:34pm On Nov 04, 2010
mama-gee:

Such are the rantings of a bonehead.
I assume you have met Ms. Payne and therefore you know all she is and all there is to her, right?

mbulela:

I am not a fan of onyeka but i think she should have ignored this girl.
The girl is a glory hunter seeking for attention.
I wonder how these sorts are called journalists?
the standard has so falling that it is appalling.
This response will not achieve much but only serve her insatiable hunger for attention.
Her (Azuka) write up or articles are so unprofessional and do not warrant the attention of any serious person.

You cannot ignore everything that comes to your attention. This  Ms. Payne has had a lot of bad press. And even at the beginning of her letter, Onyeka said that it was only a very serious matter that would make her write a letter to that Azuka woman. That should tell you that she isn't just writing because she has nothing left to do with her time.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by nellaluv(f): 2:57pm On Nov 04, 2010
This Azuka needs to be b1t.ched-slapped, she's asking for it.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by tpia5: 3:01pm On Nov 04, 2010
this 9ice should stop disrespecting the mother of his child.

has he no home training?

the least he can do is keep his mouth shut abi who is interested in all that long story.
Re: Onyeka Onwenu Stands Up For Toni Payne. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 04, 2010
Seriously tho, why does it seem like Onyeka was on a self-glorifying journey?

Or maybe its just me. Kudos standing for your fellow women sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Olamide - Confession Aiye [prod. By Samklef] / MTV EMA 2019: Burna Boy Wins ‘Best Africa Act’ Award / The Unofficial Nairaland Mixtape - The Plan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.