Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,438 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading (6887 Views)

Insecurity: Reps Pass Motion Urging All Service Chiefs To Resign / Senate To Pass 2020 Budget Before Christmas / Reps Pass Bill Proscribing Plastic Bags, Set Fine For Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Ebullience(m): 5:34pm On Oct 10, 2019
The House of Representatives has passed the 2020 budget for second reading.

The House had commenced debate on the general principles of the appropriations act on Wednesday.

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday presented a spending plan of N10.3 trillion to the National Assembly, making next year’s proposed budget the country’s highest ever.

The proposal shows that about a quarter of the sum (N2.5 trillion) will be used for debt servicing, while capital expenditure is expected to gulp N2.1 trillion which excludes the capital component of statutory transfers.

A further breakdown presented by the president shows the expenditure estimate includes statutory transfers of N556.7 billion, non-debt recurrent expenditure of N4.8 trillion and provision for Sinking Fund to retire maturing bonds issued to local contractors is N296 billion.

The budget was prepared on the assumption of $57 per barrel with crude oil production of 2.18 million barrels per day and the exchange rate assumed at N305 to $1.

Other assumptions include real GDP growth of 2.93 per cent while “inflation is expected to remain slightly above single digits in 2020.”

Deliberations
On the first day of deliberations, Kingsley Chinda (PDP, Rivers) raised a point of order stating that it was improper for the budget to be attended to without its breakdown.

“The budget is very very ‘unripe’ for hearing,” he said.

President Buhari had during his presentation on Tuesday stated that the minister of finance, Zainab Ahmed, will provide the full details of the budget to the National Assembly

“The minister yet to provide us with the full details that will enable this budget to be ripe for hearing,” he told the house.

The Speaker then ruled Mr Chinda our of order, stating that the house does not need full details to debate on general principles.

“What the president laid yesterday was actually in line with our constitution.”

Concerns
During the continuation of debate on Thursday, the Deputy Minority Leader, Toby Okechukwu (PDP, Enugu), said he commended the fact “that this is one of the time that budget is brought in early.”

“The capital expenditure has been reduced from 2019, the debt servicing of 2.8trillion,” he said. “There is no country that can make progress with this. Health budget is (N)48 billion. How can we make progress? This time, we are putting the cart before the horse,” he said.

“Nigerians are burdened with so much tax, I believe the budget will not work. I believe the money bill should have been brought before this.

“I was House committee chairman for works, I stated that the commitment of the Ministry is N4 trillion of contract awarded. Any belief that the country will move forward with this budget is a mirage.”
Another lawmaker, Nnaji Nnoli, (PDP, Enugu) said he was concerned about the aviation sector.

“Out airports are our gateway, I believe our airport should be given attention, I do not believe that our aviation is getting enough.

“I believe that if we can consolidate the 25 per cent of FAAN IGR to the federal government, that will help the airports.

“We can have a 10 years plan for the funds to be used by FAAN. We can develop our airport,” he stated.
Benjamin Kalu, the House spokesperson, said he is in support of the bill “but that will not be right without speaking on the timing of the budget”.

“It helps the private sector to plan, as they know the direction the policy is going, I commend them, but we cannot discuss 2020 without discussing 2019.

“One of the man things is the digitisation of tax collection. Over the years, it has been difficult to meet our tax target, the current budget is proposing a new tax burden.

October 10, 2019Nasir Ayitogo
The House of Representatives has passed the 2020 budget for second reading.

The House had commenced debate on the general principles of the appropriations act on Wednesday.

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday presented a spending plan of N10.3 trillion to the National Assembly, making next year’s proposed budget the country’s highest ever.

The proposal shows that about a quarter of the sum (N2.5 trillion) will be used for debt servicing, while capital expenditure is expected to gulp N2.1 trillion which excludes the capital component of statutory transfers.

A further breakdown presented by the president shows the expenditure estimate includes statutory transfers of N556.7 billion, non-debt recurrent expenditure of N4.8 trillion and provision for Sinking Fund to retire maturing bonds issued to local contractors is N296 billion.

The budget was prepared on the assumption of $57 per barrel with crude oil production of 2.18 million barrels per day and the exchange rate assumed at N305 to $1.

Other assumptions include real GDP growth of 2.93 per cent while “inflation is expected to remain slightly above single digits in 2020.”

Deliberations
On the first day of deliberations, Kingsley Chinda (PDP, Rivers) raised a point of order stating that it was improper for the budget to be attended to without its breakdown.

“The budget is very very ‘unripe’ for hearing,” he said.

President Buhari had during his presentation on Tuesday stated that the minister of finance, Zainab Ahmed, will provide the full details of the budget to the National Assembly.

“The minister yet to provide us with the full details that will enable this budget to be ripe for hearing,” he told the house.

The Speaker then ruled Mr Chinda our of order, stating that the house does not need full details to debate on general principles.

“What the president laid yesterday was actually in line with our constitution.”

Concerns
During the continuation of debate on Thursday, the Deputy Minority Leader, Toby Okechukwu (PDP, Enugu), said he commended the fact “that this is one of the time that budget is brought in early.”

“The capital expenditure has been reduced from 2019, the debt servicing of 2.8trillion,” he said. “There is no country that can make progress with this. Health budget is (N)48 billion. How can we make progress? This time, we are putting the cart before the horse,” he said.

“Nigerians are burdened with so much tax, I believe the budget will not work. I believe the money bill should have been brought before this.

“I was House committee chairman for works, I stated that the commitment of the Ministry is N4 trillion of contract awarded. Any belief that the country will move forward with this budget is a mirage.”

Another lawmaker, Nnaji Nnoli, (PDP, Enugu) said he was concerned about the aviation sector.

“Out airports are our gateway, I believe our airport should be given attention, I do not believe that our aviation is getting enough.

“I believe that if we can consolidate the 25 per cent of FAAN IGR to the federal government, that will help the airports.

“We can have a 10 years plan for the funds to be used by FAAN. We can develop our airport,” he stated.

Benjamin Kalu, the House spokesperson, said he is in support of the bill “but that will not be right without speaking on the timing of the budget”.

“It helps the private sector to plan, as they know the direction the policy is going, I commend them, but we cannot discuss 2020 without discussing 2019.

“One of the man things is the digitisation of tax collection. Over the years, it has been difficult to meet our tax target, the current budget is proposing a new tax burden.

“What this does to an emerging economy is that activities are reduced which causes unemployment and low productivity, which is like a cycle that will continue unless there is a paradigm shift,” he noted.

“The business environment… will it allow things to take place? It is important to copy from Rwanda. It is the first country that has started the manufacturing of smartphones from scratch.

“I commend the government for the shift to the non-oil sector,” he added.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/357005-just-in-reps-pass-2020-budget-for-second-reading.html/

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by AgentNairaland(f): 5:38pm On Oct 10, 2019
Seriously
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by martowskin1(m): 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2019
This senate will Neva reject anything

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Digipro: 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2019
Thank God
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Abdulnur(m): 6:58pm On Oct 10, 2019
Dogara won't like this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by sylve11: 6:59pm On Oct 10, 2019
Budget that won't benefit the common man...

Senate take am..... cool

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by savcy(m): 7:01pm On Oct 10, 2019
So long as there won't be cases of padding to the budget, I wholeheartedly support its quick passage as unnecessary bickering and delay over its passage serves no one any good.

This is what the majority have all been craving that was missing in the last tenure.

God bless Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Briells: 7:01pm On Oct 10, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 10, 2019
I don't believe ds to be true, let me call Mr speaker and confirm myself
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Abdulnur(m): 7:02pm On Oct 10, 2019
sylve11:
Budget that won't benefit the common man...

Senate take am..... cool

Lol, you no read through.
It was HOUSE

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by canalily(m): 7:03pm On Oct 10, 2019
do.we.make.use.of.budget.in.nigeria?
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by sylve11: 7:04pm On Oct 10, 2019
Abdulnur:

Lol, you no read through.
It was HOUSE

e get the one wey dey favor the common man? undecided cool
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Sirsuky(m): 7:06pm On Oct 10, 2019
Robber stamp Senate (R.S.S)

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Rimtim: 7:08pm On Oct 10, 2019
See rubber stamp legislators they no nothing other than to pass any nonsense in to law

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by adenigga(m): 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2019
martowskin1:

Confirmed rubber stamp house!

We have entered one chance bus!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by vineyardfarms: 7:19pm On Oct 10, 2019
NIGERIA HAS DEGENERATED, SOME OF THESE REPS. HAS NO IDEA HOW BUDGET WORKS OTHER THAN TO COLLECT THEIR FAT ALLOWANCE.
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Ekpekus(m): 7:19pm On Oct 10, 2019
Did they take time to even review the budget? Abi dem just wan do am make the budget pass the reading?
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Edge1(m): 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2019
grin grin grin
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by adenigga(m): 7:26pm On Oct 10, 2019
Rimtim:
See rubber stamp legislators
they no nothing other than to pass any nonsense in to law

Really we should not be surprised with their actions.

Have you forgotten that scenario where Omo-Agege, deputy Senate President kneeling down, prostrating in front of camera for Buhari.

People should not get me wrong o, Buhari is older than him fine, but he should have done that behind the camera. He did that during official hours, or may be he does not understand the concept of separation of power.

Well, what we are witnessing should not be a surprise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by ibnjimoh(m): 7:26pm On Oct 10, 2019
Mr president you did not mention anything about shelter and job creation wetin hapen?
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by helinues: 7:31pm On Oct 10, 2019
Hope budget padding is scrutinized
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by ITbomb(m): 7:46pm On Oct 10, 2019
While still waiting for the details of the budget, e don enter second reading.
Rubber stamp
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by chibyk92: 7:51pm On Oct 10, 2019
Is high time we as a nation start developing various sectors to improve our economy, our crude oil isn't enough anymore. And besides why would the whole emphasis be on crude oil sells.

Is high time we start doing the real work to diversify our economy not mere sayin on radio and TV. Just like Rwanda, we can do better!.. Soon with the way oil discoveries is going and alternative ways to drive engine being discovered, our crude oil will become useless in the near future..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by ikdaddy01(m): 8:39pm On Oct 10, 2019
.Nigeria my country
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:52pm On Oct 10, 2019
Ok. It is noted.
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by maasoap(m): 9:15pm On Oct 10, 2019
martowskin1:

Yeah, we don't want grandstanding senate in this country again. We like it like this. No more expecting bribes
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by mercyviv(f): 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2019
martowskin1:
So, rejection is what you hoped for? Good one sir!! By the way, since the earlier budgets have been rejected, how has it affected you?! Just curious
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Charly68: 9:22pm On Oct 10, 2019
Thank God for this positive change..
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by cashkid: 9:28pm On Oct 10, 2019
mercyviv:

So, rejection is what you hoped for? Good one sir!! By the way, since the earlier budgets have been rejected, how has it affected you?! Just curious

U dey mind the mumu grin
Re: Reps Pass 2020 Budget For Second Reading by Runaway: 9:30pm On Oct 10, 2019
As expected, rubber stamped house...

(1) (2) (Reply)

He's Alive: Jubilation In Obunagha Home Town Of Keniebi Okoko -pics / Opposition Lawmakers Hail Ajimobi's Achievements / BREAKINGNEWS! Port Harcourt In Flames; Grounded By Biafra Protesters (see Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.